MacBook Air

Numberzz

161 posts in this topic

I don't think so. Yes, wireless is a big deal but it would appear that they are more interested in making a laptop that:

A.) Is as light and convenient to carry around as possible.

B.) Has no moving parts (disk drive, hard drive, etc.)

This is a good direction for the laptops to be moving in. <snip> I just hope that the other manufactures include a Firewire port :P

I agree, too. Light, yet with a usable screen size and keyboard, no moving parts, perfect for travel use. But why couldn't they have included an ethernet port at the very least. This is practically a deal-killer as wi-fi is not a ubiquitous as Apple wants everyone to believe, despite the iPhone and MBA functionality depending on it, and carrying dongles and USB hubs/devices kills the concept.

bashing the macbook air is the next internet craze.

... maybe for some 12 year old losers who don't have anything better to do on myspace :unsure:Oh gee... let's all bash the Corvette because it doesn't have gullwing doors :angel:

But why couldn't they have included an ethernet port at the very least.

Simple fix, you can get an adapter for 29.95. I really think that Apple should have included the Superdrive though, NOT built-in to the machine of course, but instead of an option to buy they should have included it in the deal. It doesn't work with any other Mac anyway and it would have solved a lot of issues for some.

Here is the First Review of the MB Air. As expected, and with any other laptop, it did some things great but excluded other things. For some people it will be the perfect laptop. For others the missing ports will be a deal breaker. Either way it's another option in the MacBook lineup and it will be the direction for laptops in general to be taking. I'm glad Apple is tired of making boat anchors :)

... maybe for some 12 year old losers who don't have anything better to do on myspace :rolleyes:Oh gee... let's all bash the Corvette because it doesn't have gullwing doors :rolleyes:

Simple fix, you can get an adapter for 29.95. I really think that Apple should have included the Superdrive though, NOT built-in to the machine of course, but instead of an option to buy they should have included it in the deal. It doesn't work with any other Mac anyway and it would have solved a lot of issues for some.

Here is the First Review of the MB Air. As expected, and with any other laptop, it did some things great but excluded other things. For some people it will be the perfect laptop. For others the missing ports will be a deal breaker. Either way it's another option in the MacBook lineup and it will be the direction for laptops in general to be taking. I'm glad Apple is tired of making boat anchors :)

Your boat must be paper mache considering their heaviest laptop under 15" from Apple 5 lbs.

You must be on crack if you actually pay for a lackluster laptop like the MBA. Actually, I think you smoke SJ's pole, but that's another story.

By the time you carry around all the things a normal laptop has (optical drive, ethernet adaptor, USB-to-Firewire) it becomes a heavier laptop than anything on the market! Wow, you guys are really full of logic!

I just find it funny when Steve goes on about how it's the thinnest laptop ever and compares it to others only to reveal a bit later that most everything a computer usually has is lacking. It's like creating the most environment-friendly car out there and then reveal it doesn't have an engine.

Maybe if other companies had the nerve to put design over functionality in a way that Apple does, I think they would have thinner laptops. Heck, why not leave out the keyboard to make it even thinner and have us use wireless keyboards from our home machines or buy as an extra. Really who needs keyboards anyway? As long as it fits in an envelope.

Like this:

auburn_university_solar_car_banked_road_test.jpg

It isn't made by Apple btw.

So you ride one of these because it has Function over Desgin:

honda_fuya-jo.jpg

The MBA is not replacing the MB nor MBP so why you care, if is not for you then leave it, if you want to apple make you onw specs write them, what do you earn complaining at us?

Yeah, the MBA is really a joke, seriously... wow, I can't believe how crappy Apple has become.

*hugs iPod touch*

What?

their heaviest laptop under 15" from Apple 5 lbs

Which is around twice what it should be. We've talked with plenty of kids in college who would LOVE to buy the MB Air because it is lighter/thinner and they carry around a ton of books and supplies all day, and this would certainly lighten the load. The MB Air is not for me as it doesn't include a Firewire port, but it IS a great laptop, and I am very happy that Apple is pushing the envelope in the direction that they are. Now all the other manufactures will be forced to follow.

You must be on crack if you actually pay for a lackluster laptop like the MBA.

You must be immature. What another person decides to spend their own money on is none of your business. I'm sure everyone here could find one or two things that you've purchased that they would think was crazy for you to buy. People buy products to fit THIER needs, not yours! Get out of your bubble. There is a market for a product like the MB Air. The fact that you can't understand this only amplifies how truly ignorant you are about the laptop market. Tell you what, let's let time be the judge. I'm betting that a year - to a year and a half and there will be plenty of MB Air clones. We'll see what crybabies like you complain about then ;)

We're not arguing the market here, we're arguing the ridiculous price, not it's functionality, and it is ridiculous compared to other laptops in it's price range, and the Macbook has better features for an EXTREMELY lower price. It's a pathetic attempt at selling yet another overpriced product to people.

We're not arguing the market here, we're arguing the ridiculous price, not it's functionality, and it is ridiculous compared to other laptops in it's price range

How can you not be arguing the market when you are compaing it with other laptops NOT in the same market? ;) You guys are talking out of both side of your mouth, and as for the pricing, it happens to cost LESS than other comparable laptops. Just because it's a laptop doesn't mean you compare with every darn laptop on the market, the same as you wouldn't compare a chevy to a Lamborghini just because they both have four wheels and a steering wheel :P

Let's compare the MB Air with the Sony ultra-portable:

Speed:

Sony: 1.06ghz

MacBook Air: 1.6ghz

Cost:

Sony: Base = $2200 +

MacBook Air: Base = 1799 +

Screen Size:

Sony: 11 inch

MacBook Air: 13.3

RAM:

Sony: 1 Gig

MacBook Air: 2 Gigs

Still not convinced? Let's compare the MB Air to other high-end ultra-portables (courtesy of Ars):

aircomp.jpg

Plus, don't forget you'd have to add 129.99 for Leopard plus all the time and hassle to 'convert' it into a Hackintosh (and probably void the warranty in the process). The MB Air takes care of all that without issue. Not to mention that the other ultra-portables don't even include a backlit keyboard like the MB Air does. Lostgame it's fine to be comparing it to other ultra-portables but my God, at least be fair about it and compare apples to apples (no pun intended) :P

Which is around twice what it should be. We've talked with plenty of kids in college who would LOVE to buy the MB Air because it is lighter/thinner and they carry around a ton of books and supplies all day, and this would certainly lighten the load. The MB Air is not for me as it doesn't include a Firewire port, but it IS a great laptop, and I am very happy that Apple is pushing the envelope in the direction that they are. Now all the other manufactures will be forced to follow.

You must be immature. What another person decides to spend their own money on is none of your business. I'm sure everyone here could find one or two things that you've purchased that they would think was crazy for you to buy. People buy products to fit THIER needs, not yours! Get out of your bubble. There is a market for a product like the MB Air. The fact that you can't understand this only amplifies how truly ignorant you are about the laptop market. Tell you what, let's let time be the judge. I'm betting that a year - to a year and a half and there will be plenty of MB Air clones. We'll see what crybabies like you complain about then ;)

yay, more fanboy novels.

again, the 2lb difference between the MacBook and the MBA is negligible, especially when the average textbook is 6 lbs. you're still carrying around the same sized laptop -- what is it about this can you not comprehend?

apple isn't pushing the envelope with the macbook air... there's nothing substantially different about it, it's just kinda smaller in height. kinda.

but when apple releases a product, all you fanboys shit a brick and think that apple innovated something.

you must also believe in santa claus and the easter bunny. oh, to be 10 again.

apple isn't pushing the envelope with the macbook air

Whatever they are doing YOU can't name a better ultra-portable, so apparently they are doing something right. What is it with you stepford PC losers, are you so afraid that Apple might just be successful with this product, and make your PC laptops look that much more out of step? Deal with it. All laptops will now start to be thinner and lighter.

it's just kinda smaller in height. kinda.

Yeah, just 'kinda' huh? :( Too bad for you that you can't name a thinner/lighter one, but by all means don't let the facts get in your way :) I guess according to you the sun is just 'kinda' hot too :)

oh, to be 10 again.

Sorry, now that you're 11 you'll have to just deal with it.

Whatever they are doing YOU can't name a better ultra-portable, so apparently they are doing something right. What is it with you stepford PC losers, are you so afraid that Apple might just be successful with this product, and make your PC laptops look that much more out of step? Deal with it. All laptops will now start to be thinner and lighter.

Yeah, just 'kinda' huh? :P Too bad for you that you can't name a thinner/lighter one, but by all means don't let the facts get in your way :D I guess according to you the sun is just 'kinda' hot too ;)

Sorry, now that you're 11 you'll have to just deal with it.

IBM proves that Apple's MBA is a gimmick with the Lenovo x300. It's .5lbs lighter -- and has a built in optical drive, ethernet, and 3 USB's and up to 4GB of ram. Oh, and did I mention the battery is user replaceable? All done within a tenth of an inch of the MacBook Air.

I bet you still think the MacBook Pro is the fastest laptop on the market, too. :D Silly Apple Fanboy.

First of all, your phantom laptop is not even on the market yet for sale. LOL :D Second of all, the 2.5 pound weight is calculated with a small 3-cell battery that probably only has around 3 hours of actual use. Lenovo lists an upper limit of 3.17 pounds which probably takes into account a 6-cell or 9-cell battery. Oops... There goes your lighter weight theory :rolleyes: Even the IBM aesthetes know it looks like it was styled way back in 1995, and the laptop also doesn't appear to support a standard 2.5 hard drive, so good luck with that. You also have NO proof that those are its actual shipped specs, since no one has ever tested one. For all you and your fellow PC fanboys know, those could just be from a white paper pre-production spec sheet. We’ll wait for the actual reviews, thank you very much. Plus, it still doesn’t have a Firewire port and too bad for windows zealots like you, it doesn't even support 64bit vista, so OS X clearly wins there ;) It also still doesn’t come with an expresscard slot or any other card reader for that matter, so there’s no improvement there. Plus, it doesn’t have a display port, so I hope you’re not planing on ever using one. It also doesn’t have a backlit keyboard like the Air does. On the surface it looks like IF IBM ever actually releases this machine, then it will be nice BUT you can in no way say that it is better UNTIL you actually post a PRICE and everyone can then do a fair comparison. If this laptop is $4000 - $5000.00 then it’s a joke, but I guess a PC fanboy like you won’t be bringing anyones attention to that fact huh? :rolleyes: Since IBM deliberately leaked this onto the net it only PROVES what I said before, that this is the future direction for all laptops, so thanks for posting additional evidence of this and confirming what I said for me ;) Just make sure that in your response that you INCLUDE THE PRICE, otherwise it proves everything else that I said was true (both about you, and the laptop)! One things for sure, since it’s an IBM and comes with a nipple, you should be right at home with it :(

First of all, your phantom laptop is not even on the market yet for sale. LOL :P Second of all, the 2.5 pound weight is calculated with a small 3-cell battery that probably only has around 3 hours of actual use. Lenovo lists an upper limit of 3.17 pounds which probably takes into account a 6-cell or 9-cell battery. Oops... There goes your lighter weight theory :) Even the IBM aesthetes know it looks like it was styled way back in 1995, and the laptop also doesn't appear to support a standard 2.5 hard drive, so good luck with that. You also have NO proof that those are its actual shipped specs, since no one has ever tested one. For all you and your fellow PC fanboys know, those could just be from a white paper pre-production spec sheet. We’ll wait for the actual reviews, thank you very much. Plus, it still doesn’t have a Firewire port and too bad for windows zealots like you, it doesn't even support 64bit vista, so OS X clearly wins there :D It also still doesn’t come with an expresscard slot or any other card reader for that matter, so there’s no improvement there. Plus, it doesn’t have a display port, so I hope you’re not planing on ever using one. It also doesn’t have a backlit keyboard like the Air does. On the surface it looks like IF IBM ever actually releases this machine, then it will be nice BUT you can in no way say that it is better UNTIL you actually post a PRICE and everyone can then do a fair comparison. If this laptop is $4000 - $5000.00 then it’s a joke, but I guess a PC fanboy like you won’t be bringing anyones attention to that fact huh? :D Since IBM deliberately leaked this onto the net it only PROVES what I said before, that this is the future direction for all laptops, so thanks for posting additional evidence of this and confirming what I said for me :P Just make sure that in your response that you INCLUDE THE PRICE, otherwise it proves everything else that I said was true (both about you, and the laptop)! One things for sure, since it’s an IBM and comes with a nipple, you should be right at home with it :(

- The MacBook Air doesn't ship for another 3 weeks (According to Apple Store) and therefore is also not yet on the market.

- Recent MacBook Air test have shown that the battery also only lasts about 3 hours. Even less if you need to attach an external drive.

- The functionality of the computer isn't related to how it looks like. I never knew you looked at the glowing Apple on the back of the computer to get your tasks done.

- Apple doesn't appeal to bums, so, why are you so moved by price? There hasn't even been a set price for the X300, so quit pulling figures out of the air.

Any more lame excuses for this lame product up your sleeve?

lol that was the best debate I have ever seen where each side was calling the other a fanboy

The macbook air is unquestionably competitive among other ultra-portables (on the market). If you don't agree, then lets see some stats, with price included (pics too if you're confident).

Its lack of firewire is pretty much irrelevant, because so few things use firewire. Nearly all external hard drives have USB 2.0, which only leaves video cameras, which is not what the macbook air is for. If you don't agree, then please name a few things that use firewire that an average person would use.

It is plenty fast for normal day-to-day usage, even for some photoshop stuff.

And wifi is available at major universities (at least the ones here, like UCSD and UCI) and at wifi hotspots. The only place you would be able to use ethernet is at home, but at home, you have a desktop.

the looks are very important. Using a pretty computer is more fun than an ugly one. Plus when you pull it out and stuff :P. But that is debatable (lets not debate it).

It won't replace your desktop, but its not meant to.

All that being said, I will buy a macbook when I go to college because it is the best choice for me (I don't want to pay for an ultraportable).

Where are the PS2 ports, the vga port, the game port, the Svideo port, the Composite Video port, the Multi Card reader slot and the Express card slot?

because the other side has this:

mbac.jpg

And come with a powertool.