Building a MacPro

nagal

676 posts in this topic

hi nagel i check you machine serial and i found your machine is still under warranty... and your mac pro is ver3 did anyone check for you already...? next time just bring your machine to service center to replace the part... if you need proof you can mail me your add i send you the picture ( novex1984@gmail.com) i have a stupid g5 casing in my lab i wanna put the mac pro logic board in with some casing modified. i can order part anytime but not really cheap lol. apple service part quite expensive. have to save some money 1st but you guy got any idea for the processor i try to cut down the cost... i believe the only original apple part will be power supply , riser board , heat sink, north bride heat sink , front i/o panel is very easy for me to get of course logic board too...

Nagal, i am having trouble feeding the PSU cables through the 4 guides! I manage to line the cables up but they wont go through! How did you manage to do it? Please may you send me detailed instructions

Also what screws are required for mounting the optical drive to the carrier??

Many Thanks Sam

Sam,

There was nothing to feed through on the power supply, just connect the four plugs on the PSU to the four connectors on the wall that divides the PSU area from the Optical bay. I did have to take the big black bands off the PSU cables to get enough slack for get everything plugged in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Nagal, you did some serious work and payed some serious dough, well atleast to me you did. anyways, i was wondering if you ever put in the water cooling? would look pretty sexy if you did..

-Robbie

I'm sorry this is a bit off topic. I¡m looking to build also a Mac Pro. But I'm wanting to use the Asus Z7S mother board. This board is selling for around 300€, it uses the 5400 chipset and it would be cheaper to integrate to my current setup than a real mac main board. Any advice or thoughts?

-Thanks

there is other topics about fitting pc parts in a mac pro, this is about Building A MAC PRO lol not a hack

There is no topic on the Asus Z7S and it uses the same chipset as the boards that are being discussed here (5400) only difference is the EFI.

There is no topic on the Asus Z7S and it uses the same chipset as the boards that are being discussed here (5400) only difference is the EFI.

Yes, there is ;)

Here is mine

Soz for off-topic guys, thought this might help Fabriciom

@ Nagal: Great going there, luv what you're doing. I have ordered a MacPro, with all alu-bits, some auxilliaries from Ebay (wefixmacs)

So, after my Hackintosh is complete, I will tackle the MacPro, might go the same route as you :wacko:

HI I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIT A HARD DRIVE IN THE MAC PRO, I KNOW YOU HAVE TO SCREW THEM ONTO A DRIVE CARRIER THEN SLIDE IT IN AND IT SHOULD FIX IN TO THE MOTHERBOARD RIGHT? I HAVE A MAC PRO PROTOTYPE LOGIC BOARD AND THERE DOESNT SEEM TO BE ANY HARD DRIVE SLOTS ON THE BOARD NEAR THE HARD DRIVE BAYS.DO I NEED TO BUY ANYTHING ELSE?REGARDS HALLY_57ALSO IS ANY ONE SELLING THE MAC PRO INTERNAL SPEAKER WITH CASE? I NEED ONE FOR MY BUILD!

Switching off CapsLock will make reading your question a lot easier.

The MacPro's come with Molex connectors at the rear, in the form of an integrated power/data connector. They bolt to the rear of the case, and then the drives slide into the receiver-slots, and plug into these connectors.

See Aqua-Mac's project log for a clear picture.

These connectors will then connect to your logic board via a short run of cable.

Thanks Mr Bean for the reply and sorry about the caps!

I still need a internal speaker for the mac pro, and im selling a empty mac pro case if any one is interrested in doing a mod! It has 2 damaged feet however

- Selling at a bargain price, mail me for more info!

Hey, does anyone know the difference between the Mac Pro 2,1 and 3,1 enclosures?

Ie, will the 3,1 logic board fit in the 2,1 case? because i can get a great deal on a 2,1 case, but I'm planning to build a Mac Pro with a 3,1 logic board.

PS. I'm Postie, I've been following this thread for a while now. Nice to meet you all!