Building a MacPro

nagal

676 posts in this topic

I've got 3 stock fan/heatsink! I take them off first thing and get the accelero S1! Definitely get the turbo module to go along with it.

I'm getting a 1950XTX 1024MB in the next few days, and I heard that in the hack the XTX fan runs constantly at 100%, which means a noise problem, so how quiet is the S1?

Please can someone kindly tell me the best place to buy these in the uk.
www.welovemacs.com

www.allmac.com

www.mac-pro.com

www.ebay.com

Last time I looked, the US wasn't part of the UK. Is your economy THAT BAD now? :rolleyes:

I'm getting a 1950XTX 1024MB in the next few days, and I heard that in the hack the XTX fan runs constantly at 100%, which means a noise problem, so how quiet is the S1?

Last time I looked, the US wasn't part of the UK. Is your economy THAT BAD now? :blink:

I was just giving him reference to a couple of sites.

100% Silent! It's absolutely amazing! You may hear a tiny bit of a hissing sound at first, this is just the heatpipes getting broken in. Adding the turbo module make a HUGE difference temperature and is nearly silent, absolutely brilliant design!

JUST MAKE SURE when you install the power bridge heatsink, that 1. take off the plastic film, and 2. Be very very careful not to chip the tiny transistor near the edge, it's basically touching the side (on older models of the S1) the newer revision is a bit better.

Hi guys I have I was got a Mac Pro Case for sale if anyone wants it please PM me, I am in the United Kingdom.

I am selling this one because I bought two from ebay. I made two offers and won them at the same time so if you want one I can sell it for the price I bought it for which is £130 + £20 shipment

The housing market over inflated, credit cards will be the Doom of our Economy... Geezzzz. Well at least we don't get raped with taxes as much as the Bristish :) . Social Medicine is a wonderful thing and someone has to pay for it :(. Now wait in line for your X-ray.

*sigh*

go watch Sicko and get back to me

Okay, here's the photos of the stuff I've got in excess!

Items list:

8) Memory Card Risers - Consumer release (2 avail)

9) Memory Card Risers - Prototype (2 Avail, not pictured)

10) Prototype Logic Board 1,1

Listed1st I PMd you about these i am still waiting for the reply or these parts have already been bought?

Have any of you guys considered overclocking the xeons? Also, you know where I can find a picture of an Apple stock HSF?

The BSEL mod is overclocking, it is the only overclocking you can get with the majority of Xeon motherboard and logic boards. :| As for a pic of the stock HSF check through this thread someone posted a picture

The BSEL mod is overclocking, it is the only overclocking you can get with the majority of Xeon motherboard and logic boards. :hysterical: As for a pic of the stock HSF check through this thread someone posted a picture

Thanks for the quick responses Nagal, as usual :hysterical:

As for the Stock HSF, I guess I was a bit confused with the Thermalright HR-01 X since that thing is huge, and I guess the Apple Stock is as well?

macensteinesata1qs3.jpg

And i guess your post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry557753

They are huge even w/o fans! no wonder the mac pros are pertty silent.

Went through about 19 pages of the 25 in this thread, believing it was the Thermalrights. Are those Apple stock HSF overclockable? Go BSEL!

Thanks for the quick responses Nagal, as usual :hysterical:

As for the Stock HSF, I guess I was a bit confused with the Thermalright HR-01 X since that thing is huge, and I guess the Apple Stock is as well?

macensteinesata1qs3.jpg

Went through about 19 pages of the 25 in this thread, kept thinking it was the Thermalrights. Are those Apple stock HSF overclockable? Go BSEL!

Yes that is a pic of the stock Heat Sink. Not really HSF as there is no fan on them :hysterical: The only reason to OC these Xeons is if you are using Engineer Samples or some of the lower ends that only have a 1066 FSB. If you already have cpus with the 1333 FSB, I doubt you can do an OC on the MacPro 1,1 or 2,1 logic boards as they probably will not recognize the 1600 FSB. I think those Apple HS would be fine for OCing 1066 FSB to 1333 FSB but it is hard to say.

YAAAYYYY Got my mac pro to boot; Running two quad 2.66Ghz Clovertowns with 4 Gigs of IRam.. Koolance running off of PCI-e as well cpu fans I'm using to cool RAM directly along with Koolance 120mm Fan pointing toward chipsets. CPU heatsink thermal sensors are working too. Finishing off the odds and ends; once done I will post pictures!! Nagal did you resolve your top fan wanting to run at full speed? I reset SMC which did the trick..

YAAAYYYY Got my mac pro to boot; Running two quad 2.66Ghz Clovertowns with 4 Gigs of IRam.. Koolance running off of PCI-e as well cpu fans I'm using to cool RAM directly along with Koolance 120mm Fan pointing toward chipsets. CPU heatsink thermal sensors are working too. Finishing off the odds and ends; once done I will post pictures!! Nagal did you resolve your top fan wanting to run at full speed? I reset SMC which did the trick..

Awesome!!! :)

I still have had no luck with the top fan. I have tried the SMC reset (pressing the SMC button on the Logic board) and still nothing but full speed. So are you saving you ran into the same issue and doing the reset fixed it?

On a side note, it is very cool to see others building their own Mac Pro's. I never thought anyone would have followed in my steps :)

Awesome!!! :)

I still have had no luck with the top fan. I have tried the SMC reset (pressing the SMC button on the Logic board) and still nothing but full speed. So are you saving you ran into the same issue and doing the reset fixed it?

On a side note, it is very cool to see others building their own Mac Pro's. I never thought anyone would have followed in my steps :D

Yeah.... Followed your example :) Thank you for the inspiration. Yeah I had the same problem... I reset the SMC and for the hell of it the other micro switches :) It seems like once it was reset the transistors were registered with Hardware Monitor... Computer booted appropriately. One thing I would like to compare with you is which pins on the cpu heatsink terminals did you connect the collector-base and emitter to. I did have to swap the pin configuration to find which worked. I'm having a hard time keeping the transistors to hold again my water blocks; trying electrical tape.... Going for the Gorilla Glue :)

Yeah.... Followed your example :) Thank you for the inspiration. Yeah I had the same problem... I reset the SMC and for the hell of it the other micro switches :D It seems like once it was reset the transistors were registered with Hardware Monitor... Computer booted appropriately. One thing I would like to compare with you is which pins on the cpu heatsink terminals did you connect the common-base and emitter to. I did have to swap the pin configuration to find which worked. I'm having a hard time keeping the transistors to hold again my water blocks; trying electrical tape.... Going for the Gorilla Glue :)

I used duct tape to secure mine sensors :) They have held so I have not bothered to use the Artric Silver compound that I think Listed or newtech posted a link to. I am not sure which pins I am wired to. I got lucky in that after making my sensor when plugged in, one worked the other didn't. So I flipped the wires I the one that did not work and on reboot both started reading. It is hard to get to the plugs because of my heatsinks or I would pull them out and take a look at how they are wired.

I am going to have to try the SMC reset again. I would really like to have the Mac Pro fan in there instead of the Yate Loon I have now in the top spot.