Building a MacPro

nagal

676 posts in this topic

Thanks Nagal for the rapid response. However you can get different firewire 800 cables, some are 9 pin to 9pin, 9 pin to 4 pin etc. So do you know which one it is?

Also nagal where did you get the front plate cover for your case?

Thanks Nagal for the rapid response. However you can get different firewire 800 cables, some are 9 pin to 9pin, 9 pin to 4 pin etc. So do you know which one it is?

Also nagal where did you get the front plate cover for your case?

I am *think* it is 9 pin to 9 pin, I can take a look tonight when I get home. I think there is one other cable involved and I will take a look at it as well.

It is a 9 pin to 9 pin Firewire cable. The other cable (besides the SATA one I mentioned earlier) does not appear to be anything that you can readily buy off the shelf. It would not be hard to make IF you can figure out what molex connectors it uses and wear it goes to :blink: This is probably it

http://www.applepalace.com/scripts/prodVie...?idproduct=7533

There is also another cable on the front panel assembly for the headphone jack

http://www.applepalace.com/scripts/prodVie...?idproduct=7509

I'm so pissed it's taking so long to get my Build together... so close... sorry to disappoint but I snagged two quad 2.66 Ghz Clovertowns off of ebay for $665; non-ES. Couldn't help it... great deal. I also snagged a brand new Mac Pro enclosure with all the bits and pieces ... carriers.. fans blah blah blah for $300. Two extra sets of front fans and extra memory cage. What a frickin steal :( I'll mostly likely throw them up on ebay for resale if anyone is interested (cables, fans, cage, carriers - so HOLD OFF with applepalace). Snagged an airport card for $30 and 7300GT for $57. Guys... the deals are out there just look. As far as the harpertowns, my company funded me $3600 for a Skulltrail build which I ordered a pair of 2.5 Ghz Harpertowns, 8 gigs of RAM, 8800GT, Four SATA drives, Two DVD DL. I can't believe I got so much PC hardware for $3600. Once I get these processors I'll throw them into the Mac Pro for testing. I also ordered Vista Ultimate 64bit YUCKKKKKK for sh*ts and giggles; Leopard is the best. I'll try to Hackintosh that beast, I'm hopeful even though I read a report on a failed attempt.

Digitalperformer what cables have you got? And Im interrested in buying the memory cage with rear fan, and the 2 front fans with pci guide, and if you have all the cables, them as well.

Would you except $80 for the lot? Including delivery to Engalnd?

Many Thanks Sam

Sam... sorry dude, I would love too but I'd be losing money on it; I want fair market value on it; not saying that applepalaces prices are fair market value (inflated if you ask me). I'm gonna throw it up on Ebay hopefully within the week if I'm not gonna use any of it for another project I'm working on. Don't worry I'm not going to rape the prices; but I'm not going to take a loss. Sammy.. as far as cables are concerned... I'll find you an alternative solution for that if you're willing to invest time into making cables; not difficult at all. Mouser has all of the necessary molex connectors and terminal inserts for the Logic Board. So far I'm up to $25 for connectors; cheap considering what each wire harnesses go for on the market. I was even thinking about making a few sets and throwing them up on ebay. Will keep ya' posted... Peace yo...

Is anyone having problems posting pictures???

Sam... sorry dude, I would love too but I'd be losing money on it; I want fair market value on it; not saying that applepalaces prices are fair market value (inflated if you ask me). I'm gonna throw it up on Ebay hopefully within the week if I'm not gonna use any of it for another project I'm working on. Don't worry I'm not going to rape the prices; but I'm not going to take a loss. Sammy.. as far as cables are concerned... I'll find you an alternative solution for that if you're willing to invest time into making cables; not difficult at all. Mouser has all of the necessary molex connectors and terminal inserts for the Logic Board. So far I'm up to $25 for connectors; cheap considering what each wire harnesses go for on the market. I was even thinking about making a few sets and throwing them up on ebay. Will keep ya' posted... Peace yo...

Is anyone having problems posting pictures???

digitalperformer,

did you happen to find the molex connectors that plug into the PCIe power plugs? I am wanting to get an X1900XT and flash it but not wanting to drop $30-$40 for the Apple PCIe power cable.

digitalperformer,did you happen to find the molex connectors that plug into the PCIe power plugs? I am wanting to get an X1900XT and flash it but not wanting to drop $30-$40 for the Apple PCIe power cable.
Follow this http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail...y538-43025-0600get compatible pins too. Just look at catalogue.and check this outhttp://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?section...&article=96
Thanks man for the fast reply, What about $80 for the memory cage and front fans? Inc shipping?
Hally... I'll keep you in mind... but ebay is the way I'll be going.

Follow this http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail...y538-43025-0600get compatible pins too. Just look at catalogue.and check this outhttp://www.tenthousandpercent.com/?section...&article=96Hally... I'll keep you in mind... but ebay is the way I'll be going.

Sweet!

I have a PCIe Power Cable from an old modular power supply so I just need the connector for the Apple end of the cable :)

Sweet!

I have a PCIe Power Cable from an old modular power supply so I just need the connector for the Apple end of the cable :)

Heya! Nagal, you'd honestly be able to run the x1900XT off the Molex port, I did it back in the day (Flash the card and all). I never had a problem running Half Life 2 at 1920x1080 with all the settings cranked. THough, I wouldn't recommend having a CD running whilst playing games. Just get yourself some molex spiters and run it down through.

But if you can find the right pieces, it's definitely better to run it off the proper power port. (Goes back to when we were discussing powering the water cooling setup)

Heya! Nagal, you'd honestly be able to run the x1900XT off the Molex port, I did it back in the day (Flash the card and all). I never had a problem running Half Life 2 at 1920x1080 with all the settings cranked. THough, I wouldn't recommend having a CD running whilst playing games. Just get yourself some molex spiters and run it down through.

But if you can find the right pieces, it's definitely better to run it off the proper power port. (Goes back to when we were discussing powering the water cooling setup)

I thought of getting an adapter for the 4-pin molex of the optical drives but since I have a PCIe power cable, it will be very easy (thanks to the links dp provided) to covert that to work straight off the ports on the logic board.

The Xeons and Coolers are in BIZNATCHES!! Tank, Video Card, and PCI Power Tap remaining. So close I almost came in my pants today :rolleyes:

DSC09267.jpg

DSC09270.jpg

I was going to say you better post some pic but I see when I quoted you for the reply there are img tags but no images show up. Weird.

Nagal, you like my memory cage plagiarism? hehe... you inspired it, I'm gonna mod it a little more. I'm planning on making a bracket and a threaded shaft to support the left side of the memory riser. It's unfortunate I had to chop up my cage to make room; another Apple design flaw.

Nagal, I got my order from mouser... the micro fit 3 molex six pin fits like a glove... happy slicing cheers.

Sweet!

I will have to order mine soon. I think I found myself an X1900XT for $40 -_- It does not have a hsf on it but I am sure I can pick up an after market one without too much issue.

Sweet!

I will have to order mine soon. I think I found myself an X1900XT for $40 :D It does not have a hsf on it but I am sure I can pick up an after market one without too much issue.

I've got 3 stock fan/heatsink! I take them off first thing and get the accelero S1! Definitely get the turbo module to go along with it.

I've got 3 stock fan/heatsink! I take them off first thing and get the accelero S1! Definitely get the turbo module to go along with it.

I was planning on getting the Accelero S1 :P was not so sure about the turbo module but since you recommend I guess I can spend the extra $12 on it :D

Hi guys I have built a G5 hack before but now as I was reading through the forum I found out that you guys are now building a Mac Pro not a hackintosh correct me if I am wrong. I have managed to get a Mac pro case off ebay, now I am looking for the logic board and the other bits.

Please can someone kindly tell me the best place to buy these in the uk.