Building a MacPro

nagal

676 posts in this topic

The Radiator (black) is behind the front grill. The grey front fans are mounted to it. Yes I'm running only one rise till I figure out how to cool the bottom RAM with my liquid memory coolers; not enough clearance in between risers. I noticed in my previous posting that I wrote common-base.... opppsss type-o it's collector-base. At my job common is an overused electrical term :)

The Radiator (black) is behind the front grill. The grey front fans are mounted to it. Yes I'm running only one rise till I figure out how to cool the bottom RAM with my liquid memory coolers; not enough clearance in between risers. I noticed in my previous posting that I wrote common-base.... opppsss type-o it's collector-base. At my job common is an overused electrical term :)

Very nice getting the rad in there. What rad did you use?

Getting the memory coolers on that bottom riser is going to be a pain in the arse for sure!

All I gotta say is Daaaaaaaamn! That's looking chill! $5 says you'd be able to OC my 2.66GHz 1066MHz bus Clovertowns to 3.34GHz with that cooling....

Has anyone ever wondered why the Mac pro uses such huge heatsinks for the ram? I have, and I have the answer. Think about the air that is cooling the ram, it's hot as hell, it's the exhause from the processors, so the heatsinks must be huge to compensate. I'd be willing to bet that your set-up would allow for a small fan on the the lower memory cards, and that would be sufficient.

Worth a try, just keep an eye on the temp monitor...

anyone know if i can get a heatsink similar to that

but for a q6600?

seems like i'd be able to run it fanless?

While the heatsinks are fanless, there are two 120MM x 38MM fans directly in front of them to push the air through and another 120MM x 38MM fan behind them to pull the air out. So it is not a fanless system.

The Thermalrights I used should mount on a Socket 775 with little to no mods.

While the heatsinks are fanless, there are two 120MM x 38MM fans directly in front of them to push the air through and another 120MM x 38MM fan behind them to pull the air out. So it is not a fanless system.

The Thermalrights I used should mount on a Socket 775 with little to no mods.

thanks. my g5 case has a lot of room since i got rid of the watercooling system. so i guess big heatsinks. big fans,lows speeds. and i should get a pretty silent system

Fanless is a big no no with CPUs of this caliber. But with the size of heatsinks we're using, you are able to have a much larger volume of air moving at a slower speed, so obviously bigger fan running quieter. The ones we've been using have a variable bracket, you can adjust where the screws sit, so you should be fine placing it on the LGA775.

Anyone here like e-mail marketing or telemarketing? I'm looking for internet referrals or some sales guys....

Here are some pics... sorry about the computer light, I had too :)

l_97ededa251ce0705e23fcfa11835a209.jpg

l_8cb81ae1e977c024e5a45ed36595e9ed.jpg

l_8739528cc294c9efa81e7ab88be583c4.jpg

l_872d87724da1b94feb28dad72260562c.jpg

l_af611b471560be2706dfaf8c24ac1a81.jpg

l_bfffb7959497869cf9fd7d52aac0df7d.jpg

l_ec4816d697971318d01f1e2cc8172593.jpg

l_ede1ef715ccd50207ca6fca510cbcb38.jpg

l_ba85a30a1068d5c65357dd71317d0c6a.jpg

l_725124b4b73c0d0aaa0c1eb7fc5b9734.jpg

l_ebce79f6c775fd14f256c0011fbb6796.jpg

l_320c3c277c455beb2c07c183d8ae5ff4.jpg

Koolance Pump/Tank (TNK-400-V10) and CPU coolers (CPU-340).

Stock Apple Front Fans mounted onto Koolance Radiator (HX-720).

Two Koolance 120mm Fans (FAN-AP002P0.) pointing toward chipsets for cooling the logic board.

Two Generic old school Pentium CPU heatsink fans adopted for RAM cooling (blowing downwards between slots, mounted with small velcro squares).

IRAM (4Gigs 2x2), Fluorescent tube... (Newegg)

Logic board Ver2. (MacPro2,1) and 980W Power Supply (Applepalace.com)

Pair of X5355 Clovertowns and everything else off of Ebay for practically nothing :) Gotta love Ebay

Pair of PCI-e molex 6 pin micro fit 3 and pin inserts (22-20 AWG) for powering pump, light, logicboard bay fans, and mem fans (mouser.com buy from here for the best prices for electronics)

A month and half of getting money together, ordering pieces, and my girlfriend yelling at me for taking up the kitchen... enjoy.

And it LIVES... IT LIVES!!!!!

26 pages is just too much for me to read.

how is the project goin'???

my reason for not savin' for a mac pro is that i can't upgrade it later on. it seems that i am wrong.

is it possible to build an authentic mac pro g5 usin' an intel e8400 45nm dual core processor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115037

i do music production so i don't have any need for a quad or 8 core mac pro system. and since the mb on my newegg wishlist is not hackintosh approved, i'm s.o.l. unless asus releases a 975x intel chipset that owns the mb on my wishlist, the asus p5n-t deluxe.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16813131247

is it possible to build an authentic mac pro g5 usin' an intel e8400 45nm dual core processor?

There's no such thing as a Mac Pro G5. The G5 towers were Powermacs, and are not Intel processor based. If you want a lower end Mac Pro, then I suggest that you look around for a genuine used one. If you are saying that you already have the e8400, then it's a case of buying a motherboard, (the P35 chipset motherboards will take that CPU), and building a hackintosh.

Yes that is a pic of the stock Heat Sink. Not really HSF as there is no fan on them :censored2: The only reason to OC these Xeons is if you are using Engineer Samples or some of the lower ends that only have a 1066 FSB. If you already have cpus with the 1333 FSB, I doubt you can do an OC on the MacPro 1,1 or 2,1 logic boards as they probably will not recognize the 1600 FSB. I think those Apple HS would be fine for OCing 1066 FSB to 1333 FSB but it is hard to say.

Just one last question regarding the Apple HSF, is it smaller than the Thermalrights? My question is because I'm looking for s771 Heatsinks that are like the Thermalrights, but smaller. Thanks, I appreciate your responses.

Also, maybe he likes the lights in the case? It's fine! though, not my personal preference, it certainly gives his build more character.

Just one last question regarding the Apple HSF, is it smaller than the Thermalrights? My question is because I'm looking for s771 Heatsinks that are like the Thermalrights, but smaller. Thanks, I appreciate your responses.

Also, maybe he likes the lights in the case? It's fine! though, not my personal preference, it certainly gives his build more character.

The Apple Heatsinks are a lot smaller than the thermalrights.

Ok... Listed I didn't cut a hole into the bottom :( I had to remove (pry the rivets off) the wi-fi antenna assembly to allow the radiator to slide in; otherwise I couldn't have gotten it in. So no I didn't do it for the light. HAHAHA I knew you guys would chew me for the light. I even apologized for it before. I think it's great not as decor but as an internal light so I can spot coolant leaks. It's also great for inspecting the internals... Anyway I like it... it makes me feel like a PC Thermaltake poster boy :) Do you guys like it overall? Or should I start another mac pro build :)

A heads up to all, anyone in the market for a Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 with 4.5 Gigs of RAM, Hard Drive bay expander (can hold 5 SATA drives, PCI-e expander included), and a ton of software... I mean a TON!!! You name it, it has it... and if it doesn't... it will.

There's no such thing as a Mac Pro G5. The G5 towers were Powermacs, and are not Intel processor based. If you want a lower end Mac Pro, then I suggest that you look around for a genuine used one. If you are saying that you already have the e8400, then it's a case of buying a motherboard, (the P35 chipset motherboards will take that CPU), and building a hackintosh.

ok, thanks. i just assumed that this was the g5

http://www.apple.com/macpro

'cause my friend said that he was goin' to buy a used g4 on ebay.

i really want a mac pro with a 45nm intel dual core instead of a quad or octo core. the current mac pro is just too many cores for music production and i plan on buyin' keyboards/workstations/synthesizers eventually so i don't need lots of cores to run lots of vst softsynths.

my mb on my newegg wishlist is not hackintosh compatible, the asus p5n-t deluxe (nvidia 780i chipset). so it is either buy a used mac pro, get a asus p5w dh deluxe (intel 975x chipset), wait for asus to release a new 975x mb that is 45nm ready (975x is supported by digidesign protools so i might be better off gettin' that one anyways so that digidesign will give me tech support if i have protools problems).

i'll check out the p35 chipset and see if it is supported by protools (i've seen protools work on a non-supported emachines amd 64 so i really don't care if they refuse tech support to me, i'll find a way to get it to work). i'm always changin' the mb that i have on my wishlist. and i don't have an e8400 yet, i still have an amd athlon xp2700 and i'm itchin' to get a new mb (my old mb died and my current mb doesn't support my 500gb sata2 hard drive, it sucks usin' a 160gb ide hard drive instead).

ok, thanks. i just assumed that this was the g5

http://www.apple.com/macpro

'cause my friend said that he was goin' to buy a used g4 on ebay.

i really want a mac pro with a 45nm intel dual core instead of a quad or octo core. the current mac pro is just too many cores for music production and i plan on buyin' keyboards/workstations/synthesizers eventually so i don't need lots of cores to run lots of vst softsynths.

my mb on my newegg wishlist is not hackintosh compatible, the asus p5n-t deluxe (nvidia 780i chipset). so it is either buy a used mac pro, get a asus p5w dh deluxe (intel 975x chipset), wait for asus to release a new 975x mb that is 45nm ready (975x is supported by digidesign protools so i might be better off gettin' that one anyways so that digidesign will give me tech support if i have protools problems).

i'll check out the p35 chipset and see if it is supported by protools (i've seen protools work on a non-supported emachines amd 64 so i really don't care if they refuse tech support to me, i'll find a way to get it to work). i'm always changin' the mb that i have on my wishlist. and i don't have an e8400 yet, i still have an amd athlon xp2700 and i'm itchin' to get a new mb (my old mb died and my current mb doesn't support my 500gb sata2 hard drive, it sucks usin' a 160gb ide hard drive instead).

If 8 cores is just way too much for making music, you can get a single 4 core cpu Mac Pro. Plus this thread is really about building Mac Pros not hackintoshes.

If 8 cores is just way too much for making music, you can get a single 4 core cpu Mac Pro. Plus this thread is really about building Mac Pros not hackintoshes.

yea, i was interested in buildin' my own mac pro with a dual core intel 45nm instead of a quad core. i guess 4 cores would come in handy once the software catches up with it and it can take advantage of it. but for now, quads are just needed for video production. i've been googlin' for reasons on why i need a quad core for music production but i can't find anybody usin' one yet.

i've priced a mac pro with the specs of my planned pc upgrade and it comes out to $3000 on apple's website (ok, so a quad/octo core vs. a dual core really isn't fair). i can upgrade my pc for $1000 so it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint to buy a mac pro right now. but i wouldn't mind tryin' to build an authentic mac pro to use ONLY for music production. everybody says that i should build a pc just for music production but i think that would be a waste of a pc for me, i still want to play 2-4 pc games on it.

yea, i was interested in buildin' my own mac pro with a dual core intel 45nm instead of a quad core. i guess 4 cores would come in handy once the software catches up with it and it can take advantage of it. but for now, quads are just needed for video production. i've been googlin' for reasons on why i need a quad core for music production but i can't find anybody usin' one yet.

i've priced a mac pro with the specs of my planned pc upgrade and it comes out to $3000 on apple's website (ok, so a quad/octo core vs. a dual core really isn't fair). i can upgrade my pc for $1000 so it doesn't make sense from a business standpoint to buy a mac pro right now. but i wouldn't mind tryin' to build an authentic mac pro to use ONLY for music production. everybody says that i should build a pc just for music production but i think that would be a waste of a pc for me, i still want to play 2-4 pc games on it.

I got a few reasons for you to get an octo-core... with Digital Performer (the king of audio recording, editing, and Midi) on my quad core G5 I was able to play back over 100 tracks with an average of three to four plug-ins on each track. Taxed my quad to 90%. With my newest mac pro build... ohhh man... what's processor taxation? No beads of sweat off this beast; it's here to chew bubble gum and kick ass... unfortunately it's all out of bubblegum. Show me a windows audio recording app that can hold a candle to Digital Performer. Pro-Fools, Cubase, Nuendo? I think not. As far as your video production is concerned Final Cut Studio is the only way, Adobe tries but fails in their attempt. Don't forget Shake4.1, show me a more elegant non-mac compositing program. Mac OS X is so robust, solid, functional, just amazing. I'm waiting for the day when Apple will bury the nail into Microsoft's coffin by freeing Mac OS X from jail.

Honestly stick with your PC, from what your saying you do not require our kind of computer power.