Building a MacPro

nagal

676 posts in this topic

Sorry septicdeathm just wanted to say that you choose the wrong topic, this one is called : "building a macpro, yes a macpro not a hackintosh". Could be confusing for other users. :unsure:

Lol :D I read some topic like this one. :) Some guy puts his logic board to Mac Pro Case but I wouldn't spend so much for that I'd go and buy a faster CPU for example :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cavallo
Lol :rolleyes: I read some topic like this one. :rolleyes: Some guy puts his logic board to Mac Pro Case but I wouldn't spend so much for that I'd go and buy a faster CPU for example :D

Or best buy directly a Pro, which is less losing time, probably less expensive but surely garanteed and working.

Mac pro service source is not a joke it is 178 pages composed.

You will never have perfomances without testing first, also with original parts.

Believe me, buying it is better and less expensive in any case.

Guest cavallo

Oh if it is for fun no problem, but is not a Mac pro, it seems to be if you like to believe in an illusion life is an illusion commerce.

The problem here is that new user may believe that it is, you know what i mean?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

its beautiful, i need one. if i can get a cheap mac pro case, im just gonna rip the stuff out of my hackint0sh and dump it in there, maybe use some apple parts so i can boot retail ;D, can anybody give me a link to a case? nothing inside tho

• 4 weeks later...

decided to built my 1st mac pro. wanted to bid a mac pro case off ebay and grab a macpro 2,1 logic board at dvwarehouse for $500+. hope they ship to asia country. Anyone bought anything from dvwarehouse before? how was the service?

I have a new MacPro Intel Case that I would like to sell. I was going to use it as a project, but never got around to it. Let me know if there's interest and I can post details...

post-312038-1242845019_thumb.jpg

Oh if it is for fun no problem, but is not a Mac pro, it seems to be if you like to believe in an illusion life is an illusion commerce.

The problem here is that new user may believe that it is, you know what i mean?

I think that you have not read the full thread from the beginning. Nagal is talking about building a REAL macpro, check the pictures at the start of the thread. Some commentators wrongly talked about building a hackintosh and this is not not he good thread here.

• 3 weeks later...

no. from a quick google search, that board is designed for Intel Quad Core Xeon processors which are socket LGA771. LGA1366 is a completely different socket altogether and will not support the physically larger Nehalem processors which are LGA1366.

You should look into this processor:

Intel Xeon X5355 - SLAEG

That CPU has G0 stepping for better power efficiency compared to the B3 stepping.

8mb L2 cache and 2.66ghz clock speed will perform very well with the 1333mhz FSB. These are probably the same or very similar CPUs offered in the Mac Pro at this time.

I'm not sure if that logic board supports a 1600mhz FSB which is why I don't recommend that as it may not be worth the extra money.

The X5460 is probably the fastest CPU you can use with that board safely...I'm not sure if the X5482 will work, that's the 1600mhz FSB model @ 3.2GHz

• 3 weeks later...

overclock dual nehalem-EP 5500 series ?

so far have not found any info , on OC and dual lga 1366 ?

building an mac pro,.... is more like an exercise, since you won't save any money,...

maybe, considering, more flexibility, aka, memory, etc, but loads of work,...

also the lower priced xeon E5504 +,.... 2Ghz,.... don't seam to appealing,....

compared to a stock i7 920 with and mobo to OC 3ghz+ ,....

also architecture wise,... the server boards with RDIMM,... heat your room,...

my new pick for a case, is storm scout, has a grip, or a 4U rack mount

since a machine like that, you'd wanna use, it, and not always at home,... (studio/etc,...)

looking for:

- dual xeon mobo lga 1366 to OC /overclock ?

- OC xeon nehalem lga 1366 ?

• 1 month later...

hi guys,

im looking to start my build of a mac pro. i was looking for cases and only could find early 2008 models. will the 2008 case work if i build a 2009 model. i looking at build 8 core one :(.

oh and all of your build look amazing. this is my first build of anything so i have my fingers crossed. any advise for a newbie.

• 2 weeks later...

Im selling a damaged mac pro case - great condition however the bottom 2 legs have come away from the tower (easy fix) £50 + shipping

Also selling an untested 2007 mac pro logic board very rare to find £150 + shipping

Please email me for pictures or for more information

Sam x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi andy you can use the oem intel heatsinks which come with mounted fans. just ebay socket 771 heatsinks and any of them will do really - however if you get the fans this does increase the noise level of the mac pro.

Thanks for a replay.

I resolved buying two mac pro haetsink form Applecomponents with one memory riser card.

Bye

• 4 months later...

The 5500 "Nehalem" 8-Core Mac Pro has CPUs without the heat spreader. Also, the CPUs are held in place by the heatsink, no lever action there.

I'm trying to convince my Wife to allow me to buy a pair of the ES 6-Core CPUs, toss them in and have the first 12-Core Mac Pro!