Building a MacPro

nagal

676 posts in this topic

Just wondering, could i buy say a 512mb ram stick and put it on the second slot so i will have 1gb and 512mb ram in total?

Plus is anyone certian that the ram only works in pairs because it could just be another one of apples tricks to make use buy more of their products!

Regards Hally_57

Just wondering, could i buy say a 512mb ram stick and put it on the second slot so i will have 1gb and 512mb ram in total?

Plus is anyone certian that the ram only works in pairs because it could just be another one of apples tricks to make use buy more of their products!

Regards Hally_57

Has nothing to do with Apple, it's the standard design, And you will need to match the size as well, can't have different sizes in pairs.

Damn, sorry for being MIA for so long but I was not getting my thread update notices :P Looks like I missed a bit of stuff.

digitalperformer, I cannot confirm the chipset is 5000X but by all accounts it is suppose to be. It is cool to hear Apple said the Harpertowns would work!!! I eventually want to get rid of my ES cpus and if the Harpertowns will work, I just might do that.

Nagal, do you have any Mac Pro parts for sale, as i am half way through my build and require more parts.

I sure don't have anything. In fact I need a better graphics card and trying to figure out what to do about it. I could hunt down a X1900XT and flash it or I could try to use NATIT. Some people have said they had success with using NATIT on a "genuine" Mac Pro.

Hally the 7300GT retails for 140-170 price range... for 50 bucks you can't go wrong. It will start you off till you flash a better card for replacement; anyway, you don't want to flash on a PC and drop it in your mac without knowing your mac will boot; you'll have no way of knowing whether your not booting because of the video card or computer.

Welcome back Nagal :)

THIS FORUM IS THE BEST!!!!!

If you guys need Standoff screws for your Logic Board order from www.microfasteners.com (Lebanon, New Jersey) (DIRT CHEAP!!!! and plenty of screws for your project)I ordered Hex headed M3.5 X 50mm screws for my CPU water block holder, you can also use it for heatsinks. I'm using a washer and spring to provide hold down tension. The length of the 50mm screw is a hair long however enough tension is applied for the block to stay static; like a glove. For non cpu standoffs use M3.5 X 12mm pan-headed Philips. Stupid odd sized metrics; I cursed apple for a few days for this B.S...

I using Koolance for cooling.

I'm really excited about skulltrail. My company just gave me budget for a skulltrail build that I'll do; I'll attempted to hackintosh it eventually :)

RE: Laptop: Sorry don't need one; got tons of mac laptops at home. Just throw that sony in the trash :)~

Okay, here's the photos of the stuff I've got in excess!

Items list:

1) PSU with Logic Board Cables, HDD SATA/Power Cables, Optical Drive Data and Power Cables, Front dual Case Fan power connector(NP)

2)Power Supply Cables

3) Optical Data Cable

4) Optical Power Cables

5) Front dual Case Fan power connector (not pictured)

6) Case Fans (4-pin) (5 avail)

7) CPU Fan/Heatsink (6 avail)

8) Memory Card Risers - Consumer release (2 avail)

9) Memory Card Risers - Prototype (2 Avail, not pictured)

10) Prototype Logic Board 1,1

11) NEW Wireless KB

12) NEW Wireless Mighty Mouse

13) CPU Thermal sensors , ready to plug in (Home Made, royalties paid to Nagal!)(Not Pictured)

post-186700-1207514228_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514248_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514401_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514431_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514545_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514562_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514583_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514600_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514624_thumb.jpg

post-186700-1207514646_thumb.jpg

Too much stuff! I ended up with several prototype boards, and I've don't all I can handle, now it's time to build a 16 core Mac Pro! Have you seen the new prototype logic boards? Just kidding...

I'm just not gonna build any more prototype systems, so I figure I'd see who might like!

Oh, and I have to have a 10 key, so that's why the keyboard and mouse.... No if someone could adapt the new slim full keyboard and make it bluetooth, then we'd be talking!

Does anyone know what pin size firewire 800 cable connects the front frond to the main logic board? Also could you tell me what other cables are required to link the front board to the main board?

Many Thanks

I know one of the cables was just a normal SATA drive cable. I believe someone commented before that it was just a normal FW800 cable to connect the front panel FW ports to the logic board.