NForce SATA Controller

MeDevil

757 posts in this topic

Anyone got his SATA DVD Writer working?

I can read DVDs and CDs, but when i try to burn them it wont work. I had no success with Toast 9 nor Diskutility.

Writing will not work until MeDevil releases an updated version of AppleNforceATA that will support the writing feature.

I also seem to have a freeze problem whenever the drive load gets heavy.

Examples of things that will crash it:

Rendering a decent length movie in FCP.

Installing a large application like FCP or Logic.

Copying large amounts of data from my SATA to my PATA drive.

Any ideas?

Hi there, I'm having a bit of trouble with my new installation. I used iAtkos R3, and managed to get everything installed okay. However, when I go to boot I get the error "AppleNForceATA: found 0 units". I tried replacing and setting permissions on the installed NForceATA with the latest version in this thread, but I still get the same error. I also still get the error in both -v and -v -x boot modes. Can anyone help? Here's a screenshot and you can find my hardware configuration in my sig. Thanks in advance!

booterror.jpg

First off - sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, so if my answer is somewhere in this thread, a link to the post will suffice.

I got excited reading this as this driver may allow me to install leopard on my computer. I haven't previously tried to install, but since I have a SATA drive I'm sure I would have gotten an error.

Here's a set of screenshots of my hardware setup - hopefully this provides enough info to determine if I can install leopard:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14386309@N03/...57604405680223/

EDIT: if the screenshots are too small, here are larger ones:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14386309@N03/...720167/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14386309@N03/...in/photostream/

Oh, forgot to say - I have the leo4vmware vdmk image and plan on using qemu to convert it to img and dd to actually copy the img to a partition. If I'm correct, shouldn't this allow me to basically put in the driver file either in the VM or by injecting to the img?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi All

I have a problem injecting my kext into leo dvd install. When I run the command to repair permissions it seems to be fine. But when I recreate the new Extensions.mkext after deleting the previous one, the process ignore my new kext because its permissions are still bad. I even tried to repair permissions with diskutil both graphics and in terminal===> same prob. The consequence is the driver doesn't load at all during dvd boot.

I'ml doing all my tweaks under osx on another pc with this method http://infinitemac.com/how-to-inject-kexts-into-leopard-dvd/

thx for help!

Howdy MeDevil,

hope your exams went well....hang in there....I miss college....

got wrapped up in life & work myself for a bit there....

at any rate, I finally got my 780i board back from the stepup process last week, leopard is runnin even better than it was on the 680i...

if your still lookin for a tester(s), just lemme know , i'll be happy to help out where i can ;)

Those are all dma related... in sata, only for nforce chipset, the dma is activate prior sending a transfer message, in other chipset the transfer message is sent, then the dma is activated... now we should figure out when then dma message should be sent for atapi drives ('cause they use a different "language" than the pata/sata).

I'll try to do some minor fixes to get this working... (and i'll need tester).

Regards,

Domenico.

I have a freeze problem when I use my PATA drive under heavy load, such as reparing PAR files using MacPar Deluxe or installing big programs. I have OSX installed on my PATA connector and my Windows drive is on my SATA. (MSI Neo-F v3 NForce 560 MoBo, PATA=0x044810de, SATA=0x045d10de).

As said, during heavy drive load, OSX will crash. When I installed AppleNForceATA in the Extension folder, OSX will freeze completely. When I install it as a PlugIn in the IOATAFamily.kext, I get this "Need to restart window", before the whole system halts. The SATA drive (with Windows) is not involved during my tests.

Any ideas? Since I mainly use my PATA disk for OSX, are there other methods to enable UDMA on PATA besides AppleNForceATA? I can live without SATA for now...

I also seem to have a freeze problem whenever the drive load gets heavy.

Examples of things that will crash it:

Rendering a decent length movie in FCP.

Installing a large application like FCP or Logic.

Copying large amounts of data from my SATA to my PATA drive.

Any ideas?

I can confirm large files cause freeze bcoz of 4 GB ram issue (i just dont know why but can confirm this as I tested it! 2gb same files copied or run fine, whereas when in 4gb memory in place they cause freezes), if you run your system with 2gb should work fine... test and see!

there is a little chance that it may be from NForceATA as well. But I would suggest test 2gb in the first place... Because 4gb is problem, even on windows systems... Not many programs are able to get benefit of it yet...

@timhart: you have to place the nforceata in the extensions folder! fix permissions! remove caches/com.* and /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and reboot with -v -f only then it will work be recognized and work fine... Heavy usage meaning many files in place? or copying/working on large files? if it is large files issue, check if you have 4gb+ ram or not? if so, remove extras to leave only 2gb and test again... else many files cause the freeze, then definetely NForceATA doesnt like your controller that much...

Has anyone got a Nforce3 chipset and a SATA drive to work in ANY 10.5.2 ISO installs?

I have a Uphuck 10.4.9 that loads a AppleViaATA.kext and works with 100% of all devices recognized. Every 10.5.x install I have tried fails. We seem to have taken a huge step backwards.

I changed the AppleNforceATA.kext in the ISO's on a few and Leo4All and Kalway work during install and Zephyroth does not. Once installed, I get "waiting on root device".

Anyone know what I need to do to get 10.5.2 installed and working on a Nforce3 SATA drive?

ASROCK K8Upgrade-NF3

Nforce3 chipset

2 160Gb WD SATA drives

GeForce 6200 Dual DVI

2Gb DDR400

Lannie

Has anyone got a Nforce3 chipset and a SATA drive to work in ANY 10.5.2 ISO installs?I have a Uphuck 10.4.9 that loads a AppleViaATA.kext and works with 100% of all devices recognized. Every 10.5.x install I have tried fails. We seem to have taken a huge step backwards.I changed the AppleNforceATA.kext in the ISO's on a few and Leo4All and Kalway work during install and Zephyroth does not. Once installed, I get "waiting on root device".Anyone know what I need to do to get 10.5.2 installed and working on a Nforce3 SATA drive? ASROCK K8Upgrade-NF3Nforce3 chipset2 160Gb WD SATA drivesGeForce 6200 Dual DVI2Gb DDR400Lannie
go firs page of this thread, download the latest build, follow instructions bellow. and bless Medevill
you can't do it like that,you need to repair permission of the kext.search in forum.

you can but not to Extension

take it to /extension/ioatafamily/contens/plugins if under Leopard

under tiger to Extensions

boot using flag -F

after boot open terminal

in teminal "sudo su

password

diskutil repairpermission /"

@MeDevil:

Earlier, I reported stability problems with your driver on my Leopard machine, but now they all seem gone and the system seems rock solid! :(

It happened after putting the AppleNForceATA.kext file into IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/, as you said somewhere in this thread.

I would therefore like to ask you to edit the first post of this thread and add the above instruction to it. You'll save the Leopard users a lot of trouble! :P

Thanks man, you're making it happen!

Hi all,

First of all, I just wanted to say a big thank you to MeDevil for this driver kext.

It seems to be working well on my IDE install of iATKOS :(

After connecting an 80GB SATA drive (partitioned (mbr) and formatted(hfs+)) and it being recognised in OS X, I tried to clone the IDE to SATA using Carbon Copy Cloner.

I'm not sure if there are any extra steps needed... (first time trying OS X)

Carbon Copy Cloner did a "file-level clone". The operation completed without error, but when I try to boot from the SATA drive, the bootloader does not show and I just get a blank black screen with a blinking cursor.

First thing I checked was that the SATA drive was active and flagged as boot using a GParted bootable CD *shrug* it was

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Can anybody offer any advice please?

Quite looking forward to some bright spark integrating this onto the install DVDs :P:blink::wacko:

Kalyway 10.5.2 already has it integrated used it for my hackintosh :)

Is the latest version of this kext included in iAtkos r3?

i have been trying to install off the iatkos r3 dvd, but i can never get to the install gui...

Specs in sig.

No it's not included, but you can download transmac, swap in the newest version, and boot with the -F flag.