NForce SATA Controller

MeDevil

757 posts in this topic

guys, on nforce chipset (same as on intel chipsets with jmicron enabled) has the 4gb issue... this indicates that the driver has issues with 64 bit system... I used to have nforce chipset (most of you know my topic about how to install osx on nforce chipset) now i have intel mobo, but it has the same 4gb issue if jmicron controller is used... but ich9 drivers dont have any issue at all...

so I guess you will either have to use 2 gb only system (memory limiting also same thing but better to have 2 gb rather than using flag on boot.plist)

or medevil take a second look at the driver's structure where it conflicts with 64 bit enabled.... because 4gb issue is a 64 bit system issue...

just letting you all know...

Hey,

I'm still getting some of the afore mentioned stability issues on my 10.5.2 install (from iAtkos 2.0i). The only consistent problem I've been able to reproduce is that every time I write a large file to one of my external drives, it freezes. Is that even relevant to this kext? I've tried using an esata drive and a firewire drive, and I get the problem writing to both. My specs are in my sig. Thanks...

if you have 4 gb or more memory any large file /or program that uses large memory/large files, will cause this trouble... the only solution at the moment is using 2gb only... either physically or limiting by maxmem in boot.plist... no other solution until medevil checks the drivers and see where the 64 bit issue lies in it... the driver will need to be rebuild or recompiled to work in 64 bit...

OK, on my ASUS K8N-E Deluxe (it uses an nForce3-250 chipset, check out "Asus K8NE-Deluxe --nForce3-250 review" on cluboc.net it detects my Seagate 320 GB SATA drive just fine, however it fails to detect my Seagate 40 GB PATA drive. I have tried this kext and still fails to detect the second drive. The first drive works perfectly, full control, full rated speed and everything. I need all the help I can get, the SATA drive was my Windows drive, and now I have to have it partitioned seperately to run OS X and Vista. With a third partition for LAN storage. I would love to get my PATA drive recognized to install OS X on it and XP on the SATA. I need all the help I can get, and I probably wont check back on this forum (I'm bad about that) so please if you post here also e-mail me at geniusdog254@gmail.com. Thanks in advance, Geniusdog

I'm using the kext with the SATA DVD writer fix and I still can't burn anything with my Pioneer DVR-215DBK SATA drive. The drive works fine under Ubuntu. Do I have to buy a SATA burner and put in a USB enclosure?

Hi I'm new to this just started this stuff yesterday. So here is my noob question--> how do i add the .kext stuff to an iso file because i have Kalyway 10.5.2 (the iso file). I'm not sure how to modify it so i can burn it to a DVD.

I need this because I get the "waiting for root device error" when I try the install.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!biggrin.gif

I have a terrible config for this stuff but it might just work out....

Dell Dimension e521

CPU:AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Chipset: nVidia GeForce 6150--> Southbridge: nForce 410/430 MPC

RAM:3GB

GPU:Nvidia Geforce 7900gs PCI-e 256MB DDR3

HDD SATA:Samsung 250 GB|

DVD+-RW SATA: TSSTcorp

NIC:NForce on-board

OS:Windows Vista 32 (Hopefully osx86 cuz vistathumbsdown_anim.gif sucks)

I have noticed some issues about the SATA HDD. I don't know if these issues are related to this new extension but...

At various times when large amount of data are being read from or written to the disk the system freezes. (mouse, keyboard, progress bar of file transfer, remote access, everything but the cpu)

After checking the logs I saw a line :

kernel: disk0s1: data underrun.

Anyone else sees this behavior?

Hi All,

I'm using the NForceATA kext from this post under Kalyway 10.5.1. It recognizes my SATA HDs fine and can even read and write to them, but when I try to write a lot of data at once (like capturing video in FCP) it locks up and I get the following error in /var/log/system.log:

Macintosh kernel[0]: disk1s1: data underrun.

I'm using an MSI P6N SLI Platinum mobo with a 750GB Hitachi SATA HD. The system runs of an old 60GB IDE HD, so that doesn't seem to be affected by this, but the problem with the SATA drives is bummer. I noticed someone earlier posted that they are using this board and that their SATA HDs are working, how did you do it?

-Steve

Thank you, MeDevil for providing these drivers. :poster_spam:

I just did various tests to try to figure out the exact cause of my system freezes when booting with more than one core active.

My system is 100% solid and stable when booted with cpus=1. When I leave that argument off, the system will work fine under light load, but when transferring large files, I noticed that the system would eventually hang. Upon furthering investigation, I noticed that the system doesn't really freeze, it just stops responding to keyboard and mouse input. Things that are running in the background still kind of work. This led me to do some further testing.

I started off testing many network cards to see what the problem was. I tried my on-board 88E1116, a RealTek 8139, a Linksys LNE-100 TX, and Firewire. All of these worked fine when booted with cpus=1, but would either crash or drop the network otherwise. All of these can't be wrong, I thought, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

I decided since firewire is probably the most supported out of all of those that I would stick to using it for my testing. I then booted without cpus=1. Since system.log provides a lot about ongoing processes, I opened Terminal.app and ran "tail -f /var/log/system.log" and made sure this window was always visible. I then started a network transfer. To push it even further, I decided to try to compile something to bring CPU usage up and disk access up. As expected, the system suddenly stopped responding. It took awhile, but system.log started showing some activity.

There were a ton of these popping up, albeit slowly:

Macintosh kernel[0]: disk2s2: data underrun.

These messages never appear when booted with cpus=1. I believe this may be the sole problem of the system freezes that everyone might be experiencing. This message only starts appearing when the system does freeze. It definitely has something in common with the freezing.

I hope the information provided here can help bring a solution to this problem. If you need any help testing, feel free to shoot me a PM. :unsure:

Thanks, again.

Edit/Update

My previous tests were using the original AppleNForceATA.kext. I just now replaced that with the TEST kext on the first page. I downloaded the same file from my other system that I used in the previous test while compiling the same thing as before (basically, I'm doing the same stuff previously that guaranteed a system lockup) and I've yet to experience a freeze. I'm actually posting while download a file online, compiling something, and everything is perfect. I'm not sure what you changed in the TEST version, but whatever it was it seemed to fix the problems I've been having.

I recommend, that if anyone is at least using a system similar to my specs, that you at least try the TEST kext if you are experiencing system freezes while booting with more than one core enabled. :blink:

Edit/Update #2

I've been using the same boot for about 8 hours now and I only had one system freeze in that entire time. It was related to trying to load in a very large file. I tried to open a 9GB file in QuickTime, and it loaded it for a little why but eventually caused a system freeze. So it seems like this system is incredible stable with no network drops or freezes as long as you don't do anything with rather large files.

My system specs:

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI 122-CK-NF68-A2

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

RAM: 2 x Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4D (2GB total)

Audio: On-board ALC885 (Using EFI string)

DVD Drive: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D (IDE)

Video Card: Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB (Using EFI string)

NIC: On-board Marvell 88E1116

Hi everyone,

The topic search doesn't seem to be working right now, but searching was not very helpful as it was hard to formulate a query. I'm trying to install on an HP dv2000 notebook, which, to my knowlege, has the 430 chipset. Formerly all my installation attempts have failed, and this was my first time trying again on this notebook. I used the KAlyway 10.5.2 Intel/AMD dvd. It detects my hard drives ( =)! ), but, after entering installation, disk utility shows it as size 0 bytes. (But it lists that I have read/write access). Any ideas why this is?

While starting up, the log reported that it discovered 1 unit (It also say it was a MeDevil IDE <-- driver, not a SATA driver, but my hard drive is SATA). I Also got a 'phy connection failed' warning).

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thank you

atanamir

Ok I've just read most of this thread and I'm getting very confused. I am a COMPLETE noob when it comes to Mac so please bear with me as there are going to be many questions from me.

Firstly, I managed to install Kalyway 10.5.2 without any problems on a 100Gb partition on an SATA drive using a ATA DVD drive.

Unfortunately I can't keep this ATA DVD drive since it's not mine and I would really like to use my SATA one. Every time I plug it in I get the SAM Multimedia read/write error.

I've tried removing the AppleNforceATA.kext in the /system/library...

But then when I reboot I end up getting the "Waiting for root device"

I've found the Dev ID for my Chipset ( I think that's what I'm supposed to do) which is:

PCI\Ven_10DE&DEV_037f

Which I assume translates to 0x0375f10de

I'm not sure where to put this unfortunately =/

I'm using a M2N32sli deluxe and looking at the HCL list I was told that after the install the SATA drive should work fine - although I'm not sure how the individual that posted this got this going.

Sound, WLAN, GFX etc all work fine. Just having problems with this :).

Could anyone please help me out and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

If you read this far - Thanks for your time!

Ok I've just read most of this thread and I'm getting very confused. I am a COMPLETE noob when it comes to Mac so please bear with me as there are going to be many questions from me.

Firstly, I managed to install Kalyway 10.5.2 without any problems on a 100Gb partition on an SATA drive using a ATA DVD drive.

Unfortunately I can't keep this ATA DVD drive since it's not mine and I would really like to use my SATA one. Every time I plug it in I get the SAM Multimedia read/write error.

I've tried removing the AppleNforceATA.kext in the /system/library...

But then when I reboot I end up getting the "Waiting for root device"

I've found the Dev ID for my Chipset ( I think that's what I'm supposed to do) which is:

PCI\Ven_10DE&DEV_037f

Which I assume translates to 0x0375f10de

I'm not sure where to put this unfortunately =/

I'm using a M2N32sli deluxe and looking at the HCL list I was told that after the install the SATA drive should work fine - although I'm not sure how the individual that posted this got this going.

Sound, WLAN, GFX etc all work fine. Just having problems with this ;).

Could anyone please help me out and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

If you read this far - Thanks for your time!

Found a Leo4All install disc with the kext included as an option for install. Installing now hope it works. Although I'll now need NATIT to get my Gfx card working properly, lol.

Edit :

Oddly enough, installing Kalyway, then Leo4all and then kalyway again gave me an almost perfect install. I just need to fine tune it and I should have everything up and running. Sound, SATA DVD, Gfx and WLAN all work with this method.

I also tried a simple kalyway install and then replaced the AppleNForceATA.kext with the test one from here and I ended up getting "Still waiting for boot device". Anyone know how I can change it so that it works like the above?

@razor1394 where can i find that kext fixed for SATA DVD writers. I have also a Pioneer SATA DVD writer?

Check the first post and "TEST" kext.

It doesn't help me however because burning does not work so I'm back on Linux now.

Found a Leo4All install disc with the kext included as an option for install. Installing now hope it works. Although I'll now need NATIT to get my Gfx card working properly, lol.

Edit :

Oddly enough, installing Kalyway, then Leo4all and then kalyway again gave me an almost perfect install. I just need to fine tune it and I should have everything up and running. Sound, SATA DVD, Gfx and WLAN all work with this method.

I also tried a simple kalyway install and then replaced the AppleNForceATA.kext with the test one from here and I ended up getting "Still waiting for boot device". Anyone know how I can change it so that it works like the above?

if ull better read a guid youll see that is 0x375f10de

0xYYYYZZZZ where YYYY is Product, ZZZZ is vendor, 8 numbers complete.

hi i am much of a noob regarding editing kexts putting in hw id vendor id and stuff . i am using Asus Striker II Formula here is the link to the manual http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket...anual_E3611.zip the board uses the nvdia 780i chipset is it possible to make a AppleNForceATA.kext for 780i board

thanks in advance

This driver works great for me, but only when I use maxmem=2048 at boot. Under heavy load, I get panics that indicate there's a 32 bit memory allocation problem with anything over that, however I'm not sure if this is driver related, or kernel. Anyone else have similar problems?

Been awhile since I've done C/C++ stuff, but I'll take a look at the code later to see. I know there's issues with 4GB support, but even with maxmem=3072 I get panics.

Hello!

Well i used the last TEST kext and it do worked, i see my satas and all, the sata dvd is now reading disks, but i cant burn at all. I recieve errors.

Also, i dont know if this is important but everytime you put a disk on the dvd or eject it console shows this:

6/20/08 10:38:12 AM SyncServer[352] ISDGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

6/20/08 10:38:13 AM SyncServer[352] ISDGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

6/20/08 10:38:14 AM SyncServer[352] ISDGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

6/20/08 10:38:34 AM firefox-bin[358] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

6/20/08 10:38:59 AM mdworker[369] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I dont know if it has something to do with it! thanks!

I don't think it has anything to do with the sata driver. Here is the possible fix : http://sneosx86.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...around-fix.html

Hello!

Well i used the last TEST kext and it do worked, i see my satas and all, the sata dvd is now reading disks, but i cant burn at all. I recieve errors.

Also, i dont know if this is important but everytime you put a disk on the dvd or eject it console shows this:

6/20/08 10:38:12 AM SyncServer[352] ISDGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

6/20/08 10:38:13 AM SyncServer[352] ISDGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

6/20/08 10:38:14 AM SyncServer[352] ISDGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

6/20/08 10:38:34 AM firefox-bin[358] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

6/20/08 10:38:59 AM mdworker[369] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Hello!

May I ask... Were your discs unusable after trying to burn on them? Mine were cause both osx360 and disk utility burned maybe just a few bytes then it threw an error and the discs ended in coasters.

I don't think it has anything to do with the sata driver. Here is the possible fix : http://sneosx86.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...around-fix.html

Will try that as soon as I can.

edit: osx360 not osx350

Hi, i've a big problem, i've installed leo 10.5.2 Kalyway on laptop hp dv6500 serier with amd turion and Nforce MCP65 Chipset. The installation end with success but when i try to boot with -v i get a "Still waiting for root devices" but if i unplug and plug the ac cable the system find the root partition and the leo boot with success. Any Ideas ? thanks

How do I install this? I'm a noob pls help me...

IMK you're onto something here, i get the same problems and i did something similar except not nearly as well done as you did. Essentially the system freezes up for me on large IO read/writes, but some processes still run. The network seems to get dropped after about a minute, but my dashboard still keeps running smoothly.

Have you made any progress IMK?

Thank you, MeDevil for providing these drivers. :)

I just did various tests to try to figure out the exact cause of my system freezes when booting with more than one core active.

My system is 100% solid and stable when booted with cpus=1. When I leave that argument off, the system will work fine under light load, but when transferring large files, I noticed that the system would eventually hang. Upon furthering investigation, I noticed that the system doesn't really freeze, it just stops responding to keyboard and mouse input. Things that are running in the background still kind of work. This led me to do some further testing.

I started off testing many network cards to see what the problem was. I tried my on-board 88E1116, a RealTek 8139, a Linksys LNE-100 TX, and Firewire. All of these worked fine when booted with cpus=1, but would either crash or drop the network otherwise. All of these can't be wrong, I thought, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

I decided since firewire is probably the most supported out of all of those that I would stick to using it for my testing. I then booted without cpus=1. Since system.log provides a lot about ongoing processes, I opened Terminal.app and ran "tail -f /var/log/system.log" and made sure this window was always visible. I then started a network transfer. To push it even further, I decided to try to compile something to bring CPU usage up and disk access up. As expected, the system suddenly stopped responding. It took awhile, but system.log started showing some activity.

There were a ton of these popping up, albeit slowly:

Macintosh kernel[0]: disk2s2: data underrun.

These messages never appear when booted with cpus=1. I believe this may be the sole problem of the system freezes that everyone might be experiencing. This message only starts appearing when the system does freeze. It definitely has something in common with the freezing.

I hope the information provided here can help bring a solution to this problem. If you need any help testing, feel free to shoot me a PM. :)

Thanks, again.

Edit/Update

My previous tests were using the original AppleNForceATA.kext. I just now replaced that with the TEST kext on the first page. I downloaded the same file from my other system that I used in the previous test while compiling the same thing as before (basically, I'm doing the same stuff previously that guaranteed a system lockup) and I've yet to experience a freeze. I'm actually posting while download a file online, compiling something, and everything is perfect. I'm not sure what you changed in the TEST version, but whatever it was it seemed to fix the problems I've been having.

I recommend, that if anyone is at least using a system similar to my specs, that you at least try the TEST kext if you are experiencing system freezes while booting with more than one core enabled. :)

Edit/Update #2

I've been using the same boot for about 8 hours now and I only had one system freeze in that entire time. It was related to trying to load in a very large file. I tried to open a 9GB file in QuickTime, and it loaded it for a little why but eventually caused a system freeze. So it seems like this system is incredible stable with no network drops or freezes as long as you don't do anything with rather large files.

My system specs:

Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI 122-CK-NF68-A2

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

RAM: 2 x Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4D (2GB total)

Audio: On-board ALC885 (Using EFI string)

DVD Drive: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D (IDE)

Video Card: Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB (Using EFI string)

NIC: On-board Marvell 88E1116

Hi everyone,

The topic search doesn't seem to be working right now, but searching was not very helpful as it was hard to formulate a query. I'm trying to install on an HP dv2000 notebook, which, to my knowlege, has the 430 chipset. Formerly all my installation attempts have failed, and this was my first time trying again on this notebook. I used the KAlyway 10.5.2 Intel/AMD dvd. It detects my hard drives ( =)! ), but, after entering installation, disk utility shows it as size 0 bytes. (But it lists that I have read/write access). Any ideas why this is?

While starting up, the log reported that it discovered 1 unit (It also say it was a MeDevil IDE <-- driver, not a SATA driver, but my hard drive is SATA). I Also got a 'phy connection failed' warning).

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thank you

atanamir

use disk utility to prepare for OSX....

anyhow u have to have a clear part of disk... formated or not... it should not be installed on other file system than HFS journaled.