KALYWAY 10.5.1 DVD release (the official)

kaly

2,627 posts in this topic

I'm also using a Dell Inspiron 640m. Can you tell me which custom options you used on the installer? I've finally (after 4 installs) got it to boot in to OSX instead of getting the background for a split second and then getting a black screen. The options i used were:

+Vanilla

+Realtek Wifi (this doesn't work however)

+Sigmatel Sound (although i have not heard anything yet, infact i'm almost certain the sound will not work).

+EFI MBR (once i rebooted out of OSX i no longer can boot back in without the CD)....

So it would seem i have a long way to go. Any tips you can give me would be great.

I'm going to try again now without the Realtek+Sigmatel options to see how that goes.

5th time lucky.

I have a few problems that I've spent endless nights trying to solve. First of all, I'd like to thank kaly for the release; this one is the best release I've used...Greatly appreciated.

Before I post my problems, I'll put up my system specs.

Dell Inspiron 640m Laptop

CPU: Intel Core Duo T2350 @ 1.86
Chipset: Intel 945GM rev. 03
RAM: 2048 MB
Graphics: Intel GMA 950

Ok, with that all aside, I having problems with my sleep functions. When ever the laptop goes to sleep, I cant seem to bring it back out and I would have to power off and then power back on.

Also, I can't seem to get both cores to work. This is what happens: When I have both cores on, it would boot, then restart over and over again. I've heard of the endless reboot loop but after rebooting a few times, it goes into the desktop. Then I start to run some applications and I realized that the computer is running a bit sluggish, YouTube videos are laggy, sound is choppy, special graphics (Such as the genie effect on the dock.) freaks out. So I decided maybe if i turned one of the cores off from BIOS maybe the system would work a little better...and it did.

My question is, how do I get both of these things to work?

Help is much appreciated.

Name is Andrey, I'm Brazilian so sorry if I make any mistakes.

I got a Dell Dimension 5150, I'm writting from Tiger, and in another Hard Disk I've got Leopard

but when Im going to boot in Leopard it goes to endless reboot. Now, I've installed Leopard just the way that is on the help me file, but it wont work. The only thing that I cant figer out how to do is to change that Bios Stuff, I know how 2 get in there (I'm a WebDesigner so Im not THAT sttupid) but I can't find the options. I've searched everywhere and I just can't find the name of what needs 2 be enabled. Could you guys help me? Thanks.

That's my config:

P4 3.00 Ghz

80GB HD (Leopard) 160GB (Tiger)

2GB Ram

Nvidia 7300GT

Tried to burn a new cd with imgburn at slowest speed, and now it works :)

I have partitioned the whole HDD and chose GUID. BUT! At the end of the install a yellow exclamation mark shows up just like so many other people got here, what's the problem?

I'm trying to install it on a Lenovo Thinkpad R61.

great news over here!

- I burned the disk again at 4x

- Did the whole installation (Format Mac SO Extended (Journaled)

Vanilla_Kernel, Vanilla, ACPI_fix, NATIT_gfnvidia, AZALIA_out, network drivers, BOOT_EFI_mbr)

- the innstallation was successful: says reboot the machine

- rebooting the machine apparently nothing happens: the screen is black whit a blinking underscore sign (before rebooting I went to BIOS and I changed the boot priority back to the HD, beacuse I thougth everything was finished...)

any idea?!

thanks again!! :)

Beppi, im having the exact same problem as you now. I got rid of the warning sign by chosing SSE2 in customize options, but now when I reboot all I get is a blinking underscore.

Im going to try one last time with MBR now, I'll post later on how it went.

Hi there,

first of al I'd like to thank to all who made this possible: thankyou very much for the work done!

I'm trying to install this distribution on my core2duo E6600 @2,40Ghz

My final goal is to have 3 OS (Vista, XP, OS X 10.5) on one PC; I've got 3 HD drives:

- Maxtor320Gb Win Vista Ultimate (already installed, working)

- Samsung 250Gb splitted in two whit Acronis disk manager one for OS X one for XP

- Maxtor 40Gb data and backup (working)

I burned this iso whit Nero:

immaginefy5.jpg

burn was ok, booting correctly

I formatted the partition for OSX MAC extended (journaled)

(in my pic called Windows XP, the selected one)

63047159ic1.jpg

I went ahead for installation, I tried both installing default settings selected either customized with vanilla kernel, video drivers, audio and boot loader EFI (boot efi guid)

In both cases the installation goes right until about 2-less than a minute until finish when I got the message of failed installation

what did I wrong?!

thank you a lot for helping!

cheers

Same Problem Here... but when i tried booting from the drive where i attempted to install my Kaly, it booted successfully. try it...

Okay, I have now tried to install with MBR and now I get to the welcome screen with the apple logo and the round thingy spinning in a circle. But then it just freezez.

I read somewhere that not chosing any video drivers at all would fix this problem, well I've tried both the Nvidia laptop driver and none at all but i get the same problem.

Would really appreciate some help here!

Thanks.

Hi ! So i have boot the mac 10.5 , all is ok, dvd is reading it, but when i go to install it, with commands: -x , -s , vanilla , -x -v , -v -x , all is ok, dvd is reading the files, but after about 2 minutes my pc is restarting ... what is wrong ? Please tell all possible things why i can't install mac os 10.5 ... Thanks !

My PC:

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 1800 MHz (18 x 100) , (Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2) , Platform ID: 1Fh / MC 04h (Socket 478)

Motherboard Name: Octek Rhino P4X266E-A4E R2 / Sapphire P4X266EAS4

1.5 Gb Of Ram

310Gb HDD

P.S. Please help me, mac os is my dream on power pc ... :)

Hi ! So i have boot the mac 10.5 , all is ok, dvd is reading it, but when i go to install it, with commands: -x , -s , vanilla , -x -v , -v -x , all is ok, dvd is reading the files, but after about 2 minutes my pc is restarting ... what is wrong ? Please tell all possible things why i can't install mac os 10.5 ... Thanks !

My PC:

CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 1800 MHz (18 x 100) , (Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2) , Platform ID: 1Fh / MC 04h (Socket 478)

Motherboard Name: Octek Rhino P4X266E-A4E R2 / Sapphire P4X266EAS4

1.5 Gb Of Ram

310Gb HDD

P.S. Please help me, mac os is my dream on power pc ... :)

only jas 10.4.7 repack will work for you

trust me i know, i have the same problem , all versions after 10.4.7 crash after select language in the install

many people have this problem... its something to do with the old P4 socket 478 i think...

My keyboard is not working properly after I successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.1. Like I cant type anything. my keyboard became unusable, pressing the capslock key doesnt light up the capslock mode. I cant enter my personal details, and im stuck on that part. Is anyone here having the same problem like mine? And how did you manage to fix it?

Beppi, im having the exact same problem as you now. I got rid of the warning sign by chosing SSE2 in customize options, but now when I reboot all I get is a blinking underscore.
mhmhm was'nt that only for SSE2 processors (like P4) ?!

BTW did you made any changes in the BIOS settings ?!

Ok, I managed to fix it. New problem though:in the registration form, we need to enter our personal information... I'm not living in United States, so im having a zip code problem here. I don't have any idea what kind of area codes you are using.

I just recently found out that Leopard can be installed on PC too. Did some research, and honestly didnt understand 90% of the terminology, errors, fixes and patch related issues that people are posing here. Is it THAT hard to make it work? And ppl say this is the easiest to install of all the OSX installations? I need help getting started...i can post my specs. can someone please tell me from ground up what i need to do to make it work? I read somewhere in other forums that a person got it to work pretty well and he had almost the same specs as mine. basically what the major things i need to consider and what options to choose from, how to format my HD, all the guides are written for above average users and I find it very difficult.

spec:

intel Core 2 Duo E6550

Asus p5k-VM

3gb RAM

Asus radeon X1950 Pro

Western Digital 320GB SATAII

Try to follow this guide: http://lifehacker.com/348653/install-os-x-...acking-required

I followed that carefully, even i have different mobo. and it work well

so did you made the changes mentioned in the lifehacker article?! Is windows still working correctly whit the changed BIOS settings?

by now i didn't made any changes to the BIOS setings

at the moment I can't get further the black screen whith the blinking underscore, the OS seems to be installed correctly, but won't load

thnx for help!

The installer has a bug.

If you have named your leopard partition with more than ONE word (eg. Leopard Harddisk),

you may got a blinking cursor during reboot. If you leave the dvd installer in the drive, it

can boot correctly.

Solution:

Name your leopard with ONE word only (eg. Leopard, Kalyway, etc.) during installation.

hi... ive tried installing the kalyway in several ways... Formating my SATA disc both as GUID and MBR and selectign the pertinent drivers. The installation seems to resume succesfully, however MAC OS x doesnt boot after the install. (i take the dsc out and it jsut sits there without booting)

I have seen that DuNe posted some stuff about the bios. and i have made sure my BIOS setting matched accordingly. however i was not able to find most of the stuff he commented about in my BIOS. I did find the Excecute Disable Bit option and made sure it was enabled.

BIOS SETTINGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT ! SO THIS IS A BIOS SETTING TEMPLATE :

To your CPU CONFIGURATION section :

MAX CPUID VALUE Limit (or similar) : Disabled

Vanderpool or virtualization : Disabled

CPU TM Function : Enabled

Excecute Disable Bit (or called NX or XD on some mobos) : Enabled (the most important, if not enabled the result is reboot loop with vanilla kernel)

To your POWER section :

ACPI 2.0 Support : Enabled

ACPI APIC : Enabled

My specs are roughly:

Pentium 4 HT 3.2 GHz

MSI board: MS-7046

IDE optical drive & 200GB SATA HDD

HELP MUCH APPRECIATED :hysterical:

ok, just checking, cause i see different reports.

Will my ps2 + usb mouse combo not work on a kalyway install?

If not, can i get it to work somehow? I saw this "acpips2nub" package, and put it on my usbkey, but i havent a clue how to incorporate it during the install process. Cause if ps2 keyboard doesnt work while installing kalyway, it's not of much use, is it?

Thanks for the tips!

I read elsewhere that it was something else that caused the blinking dash.. Not the fact you name it Mac OS X....But I'll try it all the same thanks
I had this problem earlier this month when I installed - changed name of drive to a single word and it worked!!
ok, just checking, cause i see different reports.Will my ps2 + usb mouse combo not work on a kalyway install?If not, can i get it to work somehow? I saw this "acpips2nub" package, and put it on my usbkey, but i havent a clue how to incorporate it during the install process. Cause if ps2 keyboard doesnt work while installing kalyway, it's not of much use, is it?Thanks for the tips!
Why do you need PS/2 keyboard? Is it for specific application?

nope, bought it a while ago accidently and kept it, cause it wasn't an issue on vista.

But the point is now: how can i get it to work in my situation ( vista+leo dualboot same harddisk)?

I finally got kalyway to install correctly and it even ran off the DVD, but then came the problem: I had to enter my credentials without a working kbd.

I found that while the kbd initially didn't work while installing, it did come back to life when I unplugged the ps2 cord and then reinserted it.

But that trick didnt fly when at the personal info / mac account screen.

suggestions? Can I do something with that ps2nub?

first of all thanks kalyway this is an awesome release.

i have a p5k-e wifi and all works out. only sound is a bit tricky. i have no mic. anyone know how to get it working?

and then on my mac it shows me only 1 core. but i have 4. is this a bug or did i do something wrong?

and last but not least how can i disable that it wont show me hidden system files? its a bit anyoing to see .DS_Store on my desktop.

thanks for all your help

Mike

After a weekend of head scratching I finally have got this working.

I'd like to say a HUGE thanks to Kaly and everyone else that has worked on this, it's really great that people put the effort into projects like this.

I'm not really sure that I'll be much help to anyone, to be perfectly honest I just systematically tried things until I got it to work. But if anyone who as similar hardware to me is stuck I'll do what I can to let you know what changes I had to make to get it working.

Processor: 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo

Motherboard: Intel Bad Axe (D975XBX)

Sound: Sigmatel

HDD: Western Digital Raptor SATA

I'm still not sure what happens if I update via apple when the new versions are ready... I've read a few things that say I'll need to update and then copy the patched kernels in again. I have no idea how to do that though as the install did everything for me, any ideas?