Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Yes if a restore in Disk Utility at install, but if he installs with vanilla and allows info to be copied from a Time Machine backup the system files don't change.....

Well, that's how it has been working for me. Any updates have to be redone, including kernel.

Your observation on the trackpad matches what I get. It will jump back about 4 or 5 lines, at a randem place in the line.

Kenny

Kenny, if he tries to do a restore, his system will be hosed. Chris, you can of course copy over your documents, but reinstall the rest. -v

You are correct. I the restore is done during install from Disk Utility. But, if the system is installed from the DVD, and on first boot, everything is copied from T/M backup, the system will not change. The way it has worked for me, I have had to redo any updates, including kernel, and your masterful a.zip.

Well, that's what has been working for me....

Kenny

Trackpad goodness is upon us! I finally found the missing prefs file for the trackpad.

I uploaded it at http://homepage.mac.com/bjeecw/pref.zip

You place the plist in Library/Preferences. Then repair permissions.

Restart. Now if you want to tweak the settings on the trackpad, you open the plist in textedit and go for it!

Lemme know how it goes! -v

i've noticed trackpad issues since I purchased the laptop in Dec. It happened quite often in XP using both ALPS drivers and Synaptics. After that I accepted it was probably hardware and couldn't complain about a 299 laptop. Who knows though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to ask how the status is on this laptop model with the Trackpad. I have a C751NR and so far I can't get any of the version of OS X to work on this system, despite seeing in the OSX86 wiki that it works perfectly with this laptop.

Anyone here have some sort of guide or info on where to being to get this system up and running?

I just wanted to ask how the status is on this laptop model with the Trackpad. I have a C751NR and so far I can't get any of the version of OS X to work on this system, despite seeing in the OSX86 wiki that it works perfectly with this laptop.

Anyone here have some sort of guide or info on where to being to get this system up and running?

hey, i got the C751NR to work with iATKOS v.1 ir2 (Leopard 10.5.1)...

it took many trials and errors

however, it does work.

follow the first wiki article @ osx86project (HCL 10.5.1 > 5.7 Compaq C751NR)

I also have some trackpad info as well

if you're running vista on the same machine, it somehow screws with the trackpad if you boot out of vista into OSX, even if you shutdown...

i found that shutting down, disconnecting the power, and removing the battery

resets the trackpad for operation in OSX...

there may be another way, however, I'm relatively new to all of this, but the trackpad was cause of my many errors and trials.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

I just discovered this thread, and since exams are over and I'm bored I figure I might as well monkey with my newish C714. The last time I played the hacintosh game it was a disaster (around 10.4.7ish on an old Dell Inspirion 8500). Seems to have come a long way since then. I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow following the info I've found here, I'll let you know how it goes.

/me *crosses fingers*

*EDIT I*

You guys smell that? Its the sweet, sweet smell of SUCCESS! Going to attempt the 10.5.2 update now.

*EDIT II*

Alrighty, C714NR updated and running 10.5.2 with no problems, using Vanilla's kexts (thanks, Sir/Ma'am!). Having the same issues everyone else is:

No headphone/line in

Battery shows "calculating...remaining" but % works

Sleep works mostly, system loses battery after wake

Anyone tried running software updates?

Hey all, thought I'd try to add something useful to this awesome thread, so here ya go:

1) Starting with Chris Lipharts' beautiful background at post 240, I submit another background, based more closely on the background in Time Machine. Here

2) Using kennyp's instructions at post 120 to change the "About this Mac" picture, I give you an image you can use (ripped from Chris' background), already scaled with transparent background. Here

Both attactched below.

Enjoy!

Compaq_small.tif

post-224130-1209943627_thumb.jpg

I thought this computer's motherboard only recognized 2GB of RAM?

about.jpg

I bought a 2GB stick to replace my 1 GB + 512MB sticks in there, but just for sh*ts and giggles I left the 1GB in and added the 2GB and it seems OS X is recognizing all 3GB. Any explanations? Is OS X seeing 3GB, but really only has access to 2GB from the motherboard? Or, it able to use all 3?

things that make ya go hmmmmmm......... :P

Are you running any winblows? If so cpuz or something like it will tell the tell.

Kenny

BTW, are ya havin' fun yet? Did you use Vanilla's a.zip for your temps, and trackpad? Temps should be in the low to mid 120s F or low to mid 50s C. ;)

just wanted to give a brief heads up on my progress. While iATKOS is maybe the best version for our laptops. I went through a lot of hoops to get it to boot up. I ended up using Unbuntu with a boot efi loader to get it all working. The kalway 10.5.2 hacked update worked good but I lost my battery monitor. So what I did was erased my iATKOS partition and installed Kalyway 10.5.2 straight on my OS X partition with 100% perfection with the three exceptions:

-Audio jacks do not work

-No internal wifi

-Might lose battery monitor % after waking from sleep.

Otherwise everything works fine. Can anyone or has anyone tested Kalway's 10.5.2 install yet?

I used these settings when customizing the install:

-Did not install any wifi drivers

-Did not install any video drivers

-Select Kably 64bit kernel install

-Selected all Intel patches to install except the CPU=1 option

-Selected only the 2 audio drivers that mentioned Conexant in the description

The rest I left alone. Installed fine with good audio. Graphicas at full resolution with QE/CI. Fast speed, cool temps compared to iATKOS, battery monitor, and all with no need for further drivers or modding/editing.

Can anyone confirm my install to be a fluke or possibly a better way to now install OS X? I'm on a C751nr btw

things that make ya go hmmmmmm......... :blink:

Are you running any winblows? If so cpuz or something like it will tell the tell.

Kenny

BTW, are ya havin' fun yet? Did you use Vanilla's a.zip for your temps, and trackpad? Temps should be in the low to mid 120s F or low to mid 50s C. -_-

Okay, it seems that even though OS X recognizes that there are 3GB, the motherboard will only let it map to 2GB of it. Any time I would do anything memory intensive I would either get a gray screen of death, or it would just panic and reboot- I assume because it was trying to write to memory addresses that didn't actually exist.

So I pulled it back to 2GB, and its running like a champ now. I'm on Vanilla's a.zip and the temps are very low, better than it was runnning under Ubuntu. Cheers!

I blew my install a few weeks ago, and thought I would give kalyway 10.5.2 a shot. Installed like a champ. All working just like iAtkos so I left it. Works great. ???Your WiFi is not working? Is the C751 the one with that problem? I don't remember.

Anyway, hope all is running cool and clean for you.

Kenny

BTW, 100% on all Apple updates........with no issues. ;)

I'm running 10.5.1 on a Compaq C751NR laptop. I connected an external monitor and all was fine, I had an extended display. Then I set the "mirror" option on so that both displays would show the same thing. At this point both displays become un-viewable with wavy lines and nonsense characters filling both. I can't see the display to be able to turn off mirroring. When I disconnect the external monitor the laptop display returns to normal, however, their is no box to select to turn off mirroring since the external display is no longer connected. Re-connecting the display causes the problem again.

Which brings me to my question. I know this configuration information is stored somewhere on the laptop. How can I access it via the terminal to change it manually?

I'm doing good so far with Kalyway 10.5.2 and the Compaq C751NR. I did have a heat issue that caused a kernel crash unfortunately, but nothing was damaged or lost, just had to power down and let it cool down and restart the laptop again.

This happened, I believe due to one thing: the battery monitor not working after waking up from sleep mode. Any can confirm this kind of cause/effect?

Once I was back up and running, I didn't allow the laptop to go to sleep and it worked fine, a small touch of warm, but nothing like it was before when it crashed from heat. Anyway to possibly fix the sleep mode/battery monitor issue? The battery monitor just fails to display a reading on the battery is all...but I think thats whats stopping the OS from handling the fan speed I think.

Anyways, on another note.... a friend of mine is using a C715nr with the same Kalyway 10.5.2. He has 2 issues, the trackpad is skipping and causing funky issues, andthe video display gose blue with a black line running down the middle when booting the system up. I have done all the possible permission repairs and fixes for the video and installed the ALPs trackpad driver noted before in a other post. Anyone have some clear cut drivers or advice on these 2 issues? The video issue is most important

Thanks,

ZB

I have one last minor question involving the keyboard/mouse situation on the C751NR. While mine works fine for the most part, I do notice that there is a very light delay, if not once in awhile a 7 will type out of the blue during a fast type. I saw the article detailing the ALPS drivers as well as a few other hacked...yet older ps2 controller drivers in this topic:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35972

Anyone can confirm that the driver listed by Xejin actually smoothed things out fine?

Thank you all once again

I'm running 10.5.1 on a Compaq C751NR laptop. I connected an external monitor and all was fine, I had an extended display. Then I set the "mirror" option on so that both displays would show the same thing. At this point both displays become un-viewable with wavy lines and nonsense characters filling both. I can't see the display to be able to turn off mirroring. When I disconnect the external monitor the laptop display returns to normal, however, their is no box to select to turn off mirroring since the external display is no longer connected. Re-connecting the display causes the problem again.

Which brings me to my question. I know this configuration information is stored somewhere on the laptop. How can I access it via the terminal to change it manually?

Heh, I did the EXACT same thing. It is, however (and thankfully) VERY easy to fix:

Simply delete the following file:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowsserver.plist

And reboot.

After that, connect your monitor, open system prefs-displays, click detect displays, and DON'T EVER CHECK MIRROR DISPLAY AGAIN!

Hope that helps,

Michael

Hi all.

I want to share my installation on a c740el. I used iatkos 1.02 and all wen pretty well, dual core working, lan working, internal audio working. I got some usual problems with no solution like no linein and no lineout (resolved with external usb audio) and no wifi (atheros 5007, i'm thinking about getting a dwl 122g). Battery percentage waroked out of the box, it only show "calculating time remaining .. " forever but who cares. Sleep works but the display never come back from sleep, i read there is not a solution to that atm, am i right?

The only new problem i found is with the touchpad, at first it behaved erratically and after i touch it all the keyboard behaved like if i had the control key always down. So i copied the preferences file vanilla posted some pages ago and not the touchpad moves, clicks, band the keyboard works at first, but after a while it now behaves like if my command (alt con the keyb) key was always pressed. I'm using the dafault kexts for now. Any help?

Webcam worked with ioxwebcamx but right now i'm not able to replicate the magic for some reason ... with iusbcam it worked under ichat but i saw green and very distorted image. buriner works. usb works, sata works, i haven't tried modem but who needs it anyway? External display works well, i haven't tried s-video.

Rezha:

As far as the issues with the trackpad. You need to install at least the ALPS driver listed in the Toturial forum post titled so ething similar to: fixing trackpad issues. Its a sticky on the first page of that fourm we toon. (sorry I'm typing on a mobile phone so I can't post a link). There are a few other trackpad drivers in that post as well to try. A friend ofmine oddly claims once he installed 2GB of ram in his laptop that the mouse issues and a heat issue went away. Not sure on that one there.

I would look into using Iatkos 2.0 that's out. It seems to work great. But there is a known issue so far people are seeing where you cannot use certain apps that crash like Firefox, Adium, so on. To fix it temporarily you need to create and use another account. I believe the Iatkos team is working on a solution. In the mean time I'm using Kalyway 10.5.2. I have no issues despite the trackpad kinda gets stuck if I'm using it a lot real fast. (anyone have a solition on this? I'm using the ALPS next listed in the post area I mentioned earlier?)

As for the internal wifi. I have a C751nr model. And I couldn't get the wifi to work at all on it. Since my friend with a C715nr model with a working OS X compatible internal wifi card works fine, I went ahead and found out the model of the wifi card and went on ebay and bought one to replace mine. So far its working perfectly. I can suggest this mini pc card so far for any c751nr users. I'm sure it would work for any c700 user.

Good luck otherwise

This is the HP part number and the Discription off of the HP parts replacement website. You could buy it from HP at $113, or you can find it on ebay like I did for $30-$50.

This is card is also in the pavilion dv6000 dv9000 series of laptops as well, so you might see it listed for those models also.

HP# 441090-001

Wireless LAN 802.11b/g mini PCI adapter card (Broadcom, Hoya) - 54Mbps data rate, 2.4GHz operating frequency range

Here's a link from ebay so you can see the card yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320244659861

Thank you very much, i buyed one of those card, i hope the shipment to Italy will be fast and that i can change it without voiding my warranty. I tried the touchpad driver and i can't see any change, my c740el have a key to disable and enable the pad that actually works under os x but when i touch it to disable the problem of the command key pressed returns. Strangely, if i start with it disabled and then enable it, all goes well. I think i will just leave it be and restart the whole thing to disable the touchpad, if i will ever need to.

Edit: Actually there was some differences, with the driver you proposed my system crash when i press something on the keyboard after disabling the touchpad. Still the command key is pressed, i can see the option highlight in the menu bar, and the system freeze. Reverted to the original iatkos kext. Thank anyway :(

In summary:

Hac: Leopard 10.5.2 Vanilla Kernel

Notebook: Compaq c700 series - c740el

CPU TYPE:IntelPentium Dual CPU T2330

Memory: 2Gb

Audio Onboard: ALC 228, internal speakers and volume bar working with azalia audio, line in and headphones not working. Solved with usb 2.0 audio card.

DVD-Writer:Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A internal - Fully supported

Graphics/Displays: Intel GMA X3100 Full QE/CI dual display 144Mb 1280x800

USB:All USB2.0 ports working

LAN:Realtek onboard 10/100 Native - no driver required

Sata: working

Timemachine: doesn't work, didn't try any fix for now

Wireless: Atheros 5007 not working

Touchpad: Issues with the enable/disable touchpad physical button, works, but ruin the keyboard when disabling.

Internal Webcam: Listed as usb uvc pc camera (syntek 174f:5212) worked in my previous install with xiowebcamx, now don't, probably issues with the vanilla kernel (?) used to work bad in ichat with iusbcam (green and distorted) and well in skype. Now it doesn't work with ioxwebcamx nor macam.

Xbench: 54.31

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so...anybody taken our machine to 10.5.3 yet? Since we have problem with the graphics update, and it is required to update to .3, maybe we're out of luck? Who'se game to try it? I think we would install a clean iatkos, then use the combo updater with the previous .5.2 instrux. -v

So I was waiting to get my new hard drive to mess with this again and now that I have it I am attempting this again. Started with Kalyway 10.5.2, no problems with install and wireless and sound working out of the box. Recognizes the x3100 and all in all cant complain. Im still having the issue where when I attempt to play a DVD it just closes DVD player with an error, same for VLC. I can post the error report if that will help

Rezha:

A friend of mine oddly claims once he installed 2GB of ram in his laptop that the mouse issues and a heat issue went away. Not sure on that one there.

Good luck otherwise

I've been running 2 Gbs on a C751nr since I bought it in May. I don't have the mouse problems but the heating problems still exist. I also got iATKOS i1.0 v2 to dual boot with XP pro with everything 100% working on XP.