Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Dude....take a look at this........I just found it.....have NOT tried it!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88404

kenny

I will be trying this asap. I also read in their readme that I have to use MBR when installing.

EDIT: Formatted in MBR, now it works :)

I can get everything except my wireless to work, also the laptop is getting quite hot too.

Little Update on how my Installation went!

Once I went back and formatted the HDD as MBR, it worked almost flawlessly. I had some trouble with my wireless however, but for somereason after a reboot it started working :P I have a battery icon (some said they didn't).

On the C717NR I have a little button to disable the wireless, I don't know if it is on the other Compaqs you guys have. Anyway, it lights up purple. If I press it while in OSX it kills the wireless, however, pressing it again or trying to turn it on manually doesn't work. Basically, pressing the wireless killswitch "kills" the wireless and from that point I must reboot.

In short, just about everything works. I even got the updates from Apple (minus 10.5.2), I am not sure if that is normal or not, but I was able to get those updates.

Im really happy with this, I've been a windows user for as long as I have been using computers. This is really really fast, sleek, and amazing. I think I may have switched over, time to get a real Mac too :(

Everyone that helped me get this running, thank you so much. Especially Kennyp who helped me out alot last night :(

Little Update on how my Installation went!

Once I went back and formatted the HDD as MBR, it worked almost flawlessly. I had some trouble with my wireless however, but for somereason after a reboot it started working :D I have a battery icon (some said they didn't).

On the C717NR I have a little button to disable the wireless, I don't know if it is on the other Compaqs you guys have. Anyway, it lights up purple. If I press it while in OSX it kills the wireless, however, pressing it again or trying to turn it on manually doesn't work. Basically, pressing the wireless killswitch "kills" the wireless and from that point I must reboot.

In short, just about everything works. I even got the updates from Apple (minus 10.5.2), I am not sure if that is normal or not, but I was able to get those updates.

Im really happy with this, I've been a windows user for as long as I have been using computers. This is really really fast, sleek, and amazing. I think I may have switched over, time to get a real Mac too :D

Everyone that helped me get this running, thank you so much. Especially Kennyp who helped me out alot last night :D

Awsome!

How are your temps?

Vanilla put together a package that will help there. It can be found here, http://homepage.mac.com/bjeecw/a.zip (Good work -V)

Your temps should be around 50....well mine are

Do a search for "Pacifist" and "Kext Helper" these are 2 programs that have made my playing much easer. Kext Helper is a must for me.

Have fun!

Kenny

BTW, PM me if you can't find them.

This whole thing is amazing. I installed that package that Vanilla put together. Worked perfectly. After I used Kalyway's ComboUpdate I lost my battery, now I have it back. Thank you so much guys, this rocks!

I used the Temperature Monitor application you guys mentioned earlier, however, it says that both of my cpu's are running at 72 - 74 degrees celsius. But when I put my hand near the vent, it doesn't seem that hot. The important thing is that my fan is running all the time -_-

Thanks again guys, this is a dream come true.

This whole thing is amazing. I installed that package that Vanilla put together. Worked perfectly. After I used Kalyway's ComboUpdate I lost my battery, now I have it back. Thank you so much guys, this rocks!

I used the Temperature Monitor application you guys mentioned earlier, however, it says that both of my cpu's are running at 72 - 74 degrees celsius. But when I put my hand near the vent, it doesn't seem that hot. The important thing is that my fan is running all the time :)

Thanks again guys, this is a dream come true.

My temps float around 70-71 degrees after installing the "a" pack, so don't worry too much. I attribute that to having a buttload of USB devices (Creative Xmod for sound, external hard drive for Time Machine, wireless mouse, keyboard, Bluetooth adapter, Compact Flash reader, and sync cables for my MP3 player and video player). I haven't tested it without all that {censored} plugged in, though I probably should. lol

This whole thing is amazing. I installed that package that Vanilla put together. Worked perfectly. After I used Kalyway's ComboUpdate I lost my battery, now I have it back. Thank you so much guys, this rocks!I used the Temperature Monitor application you guys mentioned earlier, however, it says that both of my cpu's are running at 72 - 74 degrees celsius. But when I put my hand near the vent, it doesn't seem that hot. The important thing is that my fan is running all the time :) Thanks again guys, this is a dream come true.
Congrats! I am concerned about your temps. With Vanilla's zip, you should be around 50 C you may want to make sure all the kext were loaded right. Other than that welcome aboard! Now we are down to mic, front audio jacks, and wake from sleep from 100% macpaq.L8erKenny
My temps float around 70-71 degrees after installing the "a" pack, so don't worry too much. I attribute that to having a buttload of USB devices (Creative Xmod for sound, external hard drive for Time Machine, wireless mouse, keyboard, Bluetooth adapter, Compact Flash reader, and sync cables for my MP3 player and video player). I haven't tested it without all that {censored} plugged in, though I probably should. lol
Chris,I can do a 50% load on both cores for 10 min. and not reach 65 degrees C.....wonder what the difference is.tempsjs7.th.pngThis was after 6 min. and the temps are 57 and 58. I don't know if yours is to high, but I think Vanilla's was down about the same as mine. Anyway, don't know if this info helps, but there it is.Kenny

My temps have floated down to around 67 degrees celsius, but haven't really gone below that. When I posted before I think it was still hot from before I used vanillas zip. Putting my hand to the vent, or holding the case near the processor, it is definietly not that hit...I think it's lying.

What app are you using to look at your temps?

My temps have floated down to around 67 degrees celsius, but haven't really gone below that. When I posted before I think it was still hot from before I used vanillas zip. Putting my hand to the vent, or holding the case near the processor, it is definietly not that hit...I think it's lying.

What app are you using to look at your temps?

Hi, I use Bresink. Google it and you can find some interesting tools. As high as mine has gotten with current setup is 82c, doing video incoding, and some other things. It was at 100% load for 2 hrs. She held up well.

Kenny

When I initially installed, I did so with the default setting in iATKOS v1.0, so I don't think I'm running the stock kernel. Vanilla pointed out that that could be what's giving me higher temps, but from experience, I know that having a ton of {censored} plugged into the USB ports can raise temps under other operating systems, so I'm assuming that's the case, at least somewhat, here too. I'll unplug everything later today and run some tests for you guys. I'm definitely not running at 100% load though; at any given time, I'm running Mail.app, Adium, iTunes (w/ Cover Sutra), Twitteriffic, and Safari. This is where I'm pulling my average temps from. Sometimes I have Pixelmator or PhotoShop CS3 running too. On rare occasions (every couple of days), I'm also running VMWare Fusion too. I haven't run tests with all that stuff running too, but even then, I'm not running at 100%. My issue is either a screwy kernel or too much {censored} plugged in to USB (or more likely, a combination of the two). At any rate, Bresnik reports that 100 degrees is the top rating on the processors, so I'm assuming I shouldn't be worrying too much. Right? C'mon guys, tell me my lappy isn't going to spontaneously combust here. lol

When I initially installed, I did so with the default setting in iATKOS v1.0, so I don't think I'm running the stock kernel. Vanilla pointed out that that could be what's giving me higher temps, but from experience, I know that having a ton of {censored} plugged into the USB ports can raise temps under other operating systems, so I'm assuming that's the case, at least somewhat, here too. I'll unplug everything later today and run some tests for you guys. I'm definitely not running at 100% load though; at any given time, I'm running Mail.app, Adium, iTunes (w/ Cover Sutra), Twitteriffic, and Safari. This is where I'm pulling my average temps from. Sometimes I have Pixelmator or PhotoShop CS3 running too. On rare occasions (every couple of days), I'm also running VMWare Fusion too. I haven't run tests with all that stuff running too, but even then, I'm not running at 100%. My issue is either a screwy kernel or too much {censored} plugged in to USB (or more likely, a combination of the two). At any rate, Bresnik reports that 100 degrees is the top rating on the processors, so I'm assuming I shouldn't be worrying too much. Right? C'mon guys, tell me my lappy isn't going to spontaneously combust here. lol

Actually, I was running Fusion at the time it was around 82 degrees celsius. Right now mine is floating around 60 - 63 degrees celsius. Way better then before when I had no fan. I would think the laptop would turn off if it got to hot...and by turn off i mean mostlikey die.

Ok, now im getting that 777777 error. It's not the keyboard though, it just pops it up while im typing. Was their a fix for it? I also got a kernel panic, but after a reboot there was no problem. Im going to try installing it on another comp in a little while!!

Actually, I was running Fusion at the time it was around 82 degrees celsius. Right now mine is floating around 60 - 63 degrees celsius. Way better then before when I had no fan. I would think the laptop would turn off if it got to hot...and by turn off i mean mostlikey die.

Ok, now im getting that 777777 error. It's not the keyboard though, it just pops it up while im typing. Was their a fix for it? I also got a kernel panic, but after a reboot there was no problem. Im going to try installing it on another comp in a little while!!

look at Chris' 2/28 post.........works like a charm!

Ran without any USB stuff tonight and still only got it down to around 67 degrees. That's after shutting down and letting it cool for about a half an hour. I ran it for about 15 minutes before testing the temps. I'm not sure what's keeping my temps so high, but I'd assume that Vanilla is right that it's because I'm not running the stock kernel. Plugging in the USB stuff did bring it up a few more degrees too.

Ran without any USB stuff tonight and still only got it down to around 67 degrees. That's after shutting down and letting it cool for about a half an hour. I ran it for about 15 minutes before testing the temps. I'm not sure what's keeping my temps so high, but I'd assume that Vanilla is right that it's because I'm not running the stock kernel. Plugging in the USB stuff did bring it up a few more degrees too.

I'm slamed for the next few days, but naxt week I'll pop my 80gb drive back in and install with speedstep kernel and see what I get. I don't think I was running that high before I switched to vanilla....but we'll see.....I'm just having fun trying all this stuff.

BTW, I'm looking at maybe getting our mic, and audio jacks working with a HDA patch and some Linux stuff....that would be cool huh?

later

Kenny

I'm slamed for the next few days, but naxt week I'll pop my 80gb drive back in and install with speedstep kernel and see what I get. I don't think I was running that high before I switched to vanilla....but we'll see.....I'm just having fun trying all this stuff.

BTW, I'm looking at maybe getting our mic, and audio jacks working with a HDA patch and some Linux stuff....that would be cool huh?

later

Kenny

Yeah, my temps float between 55 - 70 degrees depending on what I am doing. How does that package that vanilla put out actually work, does it just make the fan continuously spin at a set speed? Or is OSX actually controlling it? If it is a set speed can we make it go slightly faster, I don't care for how loud it is.

Getting our audio jacks/mic working would be sick. I was in a conversation in iChat with my friend who was on a real mac and he showed me the videochat stuff. He also controlled my desktop and was talking to me through his mic at the same time. I wish I can talk back to him :D

Like I said before, I would love to help you guys with this stuff, but I don't know how to code or figure this stuff out. Any way I can help though, you guys let me know!

Hey guys, im having problems with my keyboard and touchpad now. Everytime I enter something using my keyboard, try to go down in a page, or simple clicks, it seems to lag. It isn't a huge lag but it is quite noticeable, anyone else having this problem?

Hey guys, im having problems with my keyboard and touchpad now. Everytime I enter something using my keyboard, try to go down in a page, or simple clicks, it seems to lag. It isn't a huge lag but it is quite noticeable, anyone else having this problem?

I haven't had any lags or the 77777 thing happen yet for me. There were some kexts posted a bit back that apparently took care of that for a few folks. Give 'em a go!

I haven't had any lags or the 77777 thing happen yet for me. There were some kexts posted a bit back that apparently took care of that for a few folks. Give 'em a go!

Chris,

The Applepaq thing is Awsome! I love it.

Kenny

Hi,

The lag may be from your kext. Did you look at the post I mentioned before? I now have one finger scroll and drag, once you get used to it, it works great.

Kenny

Hey guys, I just made a wallpaper with my Hacintosh logo. Figured as we all use Compaqs, you guys can use it too. ~_^

http://Liphart-Designs.deviantart.com/art/...-Space-78959404

Enjoy!

Damn, nice backgound. Im using it right now. Here's the little mod that I pulled off :P I simply took the Apple sticker that came with my old iPod Nano, placed it on a piece of blue vinyl, and put it over the compaq logo. It ended up settling down and the compaq logo is slightly visible through it. I like it.

Ill let you know how those kexts work. I saw them before, but I didn't have the time at the moment.

EDIT: Ok, I have installed the package that was posted before. My keyboard and mouse no longer lag(yay!!), but how can I make the mouse move any faster? I have already jacked it up to the highest possible, but it isn't going as fast as I would like it too...

Damn, nice backgound. Im using it right now. Here's the little mod that I pulled off :D I simply took the Apple sticker that came with my old iPod Nano, placed it on a piece of blue vinyl, and put it over the compaq logo. It ended up settling down and the compaq logo is slightly visible through it. I like it.

Ill let you know how those kexts work. I saw them before, but I didn't have the time at the moment.

EDIT: Ok, I have installed the package that was posted before. My keyboard and mouse no longer lag(yay!!), but how can I make the mouse move any faster? I have already jacked it up to the highest possible, but it isn't going as fast as I would like it too...

Hehe, I'm actually waiting on a vinyl Apple sticker to arrive; I figured vinyl will stick a lot better than the "official" Apple stickers and won't have the clear edge either.

You had to crank the trackpad up? Or are you talking about an external mouse? I personally had to crank the trackpad WAY down as it was shooting across the screen at the slightest touch. My mouse settings are set to one notch below the middle one too. Hmm...

Hehe, I'm actually waiting on a vinyl Apple sticker to arrive; I figured vinyl will stick a lot better than the "official" Apple stickers and won't have the clear edge either.

You had to crank the trackpad up? Or are you talking about an external mouse? I personally had to crank the trackpad WAY down as it was shooting across the screen at the slightest touch. My mouse settings are set to one notch below the middle one too. Hmm...

Im taking graphic arts right now in school as one of my classes. We are always using stuff like vinyl, linoleum, ink printing etc. When we made our vinyle stickers he had a ton of scrap vinyl left over. So I jumped on that, haha. Mine is on a blue piece of vinyl, over top of the compaq logo. The edges are no longer clear, however it has settled down and now the Compaq logo is slightly visible. Looks kinda like the background you made :(

Yeah, after using the posted kext files my mouse became very slow. It no longer lagged however, and neither does my keyboard...that was the important part. However, even after jacking up the trackpad all the way I still needed it to be a little more fluid. I found a short and quick way to do it here.

Basically, open a terminal, type: defaults write -g com.apple.trackpad.scaling (then a number).

In the number spot, without parenthesis, use a number between 2.5 and 5.0. They say on the site that 2.5 is the fastest, however that's not true. After testing it is the other way around. I set mine to 5.0 and it is nice, fast, and fluid.

By the way, for our audio jacks and built in mic I was going to try here. However, I need to do a linux codec dump in order to get it working and I have no idea on how to do that. I don't know if you guys have already tried it, but there are already some Connexant dumps on the guys site. I'd like to do min own, just in case.

Im taking graphic arts right now in school as one of my classes. We are always using stuff like vinyl, linoleum, ink printing etc. When we made our vinyle stickers he had a ton of scrap vinyl left over. So I jumped on that, haha. Mine is on a blue piece of vinyl, over top of the compaq logo. The edges are no longer clear, however it has settled down and now the Compaq logo is slightly visible. Looks kinda like the background you made :blink:

Yeah, after using the posted kext files my mouse became very slow. It no longer lagged however, and neither does my keyboard...that was the important part. However, even after jacking up the trackpad all the way I still needed it to be a little more fluid. I found a short and quick way to do it here.

Basically, open a terminal, type: defaults write -g com.apple.trackpad.scaling (then a number).

In the number spot, without parenthesis, use a number between 2.5 and 5.0. They say on the site that 2.5 is the fastest, however that's not true. After testing it is the other way around. I set mine to 5.0 and it is nice, fast, and fluid.

By the way, for our audio jacks and built in mic I was going to try here. However, I need to do a linux codec dump in order to get it working and I have no idea on how to do that. I don't know if you guys have already tried it, but there are already some Connexant dumps on the guys site. I'd like to do min own, just in case.

Yeah, I'm considering taking an Exacto knife and cutting through the Apple sticker to the Compaq logo, effectively recreating what I've digitally done already. The two just go so nice together. lol

I wonder what caused the slow down; I haven't read of that happening before, at least, not on our machines... But, you seem to have nailed down the issue and fixed it, so I guess it's a moot point. Nice find on the terminal commands!

I ran the other Connexant dumps to no avail before. I also pulled my own dump using a Live CD of Ubuntu, but it didn't work either. I could have been doing something wrong as that was the first thing I tackled (I have a bit more experience now), so that may mean nothing. As it stands, I solved the issue by picking up an awesome external adapter (Creative Xmod), so I haven't really pursued the issue. Let us know if you get it working!

Yeah, I'm considering taking an Exacto knife and cutting through the Apple sticker to the Compaq logo, effectively recreating what I've digitally done already. The two just go so nice together. lol

I wonder what caused the slow down; I haven't read of that happening before, at least, not on our machines... But, you seem to have nailed down the issue and fixed it, so I guess it's a moot point. Nice find on the terminal commands!

I ran the other Connexant dumps to no avail before. I also pulled my own dump using a Live CD of Ubuntu, but it didn't work either. I could have been doing something wrong as that was the first thing I tackled (I have a bit more experience now), so that may mean nothing. As it stands, I solved the issue by picking up an awesome external adapter (Creative Xmod), so I haven't really pursued the issue. Let us know if you get it working!

I thought of cutting through and making the Compaq logo show through before, but I only have a few Apple stickers left from other iPods...ill mess it up somehow :P Ill try the dump with a live cd, I have a few laying around. Im going to have to figure out how to first, lol. Ill figure it out. I have a few usb mics too that my dad used at work. They work with Windows and OSX. So, im not too worried about getting the built in mic to work, but getting it all working 100% would be totally amazing, not to mention quite sick as well :)

Has OSX been eating your battery? My battery is lasting about 1hr 30mins at most. If I do nothing with it I might get 2 hours out of it :P Mostlikely the stock battery that came with the laptop sucks. Too bad the better batterys cost quite a bit of money.

I thought of cutting through and making the Compaq logo show through before, but I only have a few Apple stickers left from other iPods...ill mess it up somehow :D Ill try the dump with a live cd, I have a few laying around. Im going to have to figure out how to first, lol. Ill figure it out. I have a few usb mics too that my dad used at work. They work with Windows and OSX. So, im not too worried about getting the built in mic to work, but getting it all working 100% would be totally amazing, not to mention quite sick as well :D

Has OSX been eating your battery? My battery is lasting about 1hr 30mins at most. If I do nothing with it I might get 2 hours out of it :D Mostlikely the stock battery that came with the laptop sucks. Too bad the better batterys cost quite a bit of money.

Yeah, that's one area where OS X runs worse than Windows on my lappy; I don't get good battery life at all. And, before anyone asks, I do unplug all my {censored} when running on battery. Luckily, I only need to use it for very little time at most when I'm unplugged, so it hasn't been an issue as of yet. On my end, I attributed the crappy battery life to whatever was causing the higher temps I'm experiencing. Perhaps that's not the issue...