Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Okay, so...anybody taken our machine to 10.5.3 yet? Since we have problem with the graphics update, and it is required to update to .3, maybe we're out of luck? Who'se game to try it? I think we would install a clean iatkos, then use the combo updater with the previous .5.2 instrux. -v
Updated using Kalyway combo update.....no problem at all :rolleyes: Kenny
maybe its my kernel, what kernel are u all running? vanilla or speedstep or?
Vanilla works great!Kenny

I got a litte issue.

As i discussed some posts ago i installed a new

HP Pavilion dv2000 Wireless WIFI Card 441090-001

on my c741el.

The card right now doesn't work, because i messed up with the kexts while trying to make the original atheros card work. I can confirm that because if i start the installation cd (iatkos v1.02) my card is recognized and working during installation.

I tried to put some IO802 kexts and some IONetworkingFamily from 10.4.5 update and from airport extreme updates but i can't get it to work ... any help? :D

Edit:

I got it, partially. I took the IO80211 kext from the install cd and now i can see the wireless icon on the upper bar and the system profiler say

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: Third Party Wireless Card

Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

If i go to network preferences i can see only my usual ethernet card listed as en0, and notheing else get detected. Any help?

Edit:

Launched network diagnostic, messed up a bit, and it's working! Thanks.

I got a litte issue.

As i discussed some posts ago i installed a new

HP Pavilion dv2000 Wireless WIFI Card 441090-001

on my c741el.

The card right now doesn't work, because i messed up with the kexts while trying to make the original atheros card work. I can confirm that because if i start the installation cd (iatkos v1.02) my card is recognized and working during installation.

I tried to put some IO802 kexts and some IONetworkingFamily from 10.4.5 update and from airport extreme updates but i can't get it to work ... any help? :blink:

Edit:

I got it, partially. I took the IO80211 kext from the install cd and now i can see the wireless icon on the upper bar and the system profiler say

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: Third Party Wireless Card

Current Wireless Network: AirPort is currently turned off

If i go to network preferences i can see only my usual ethernet card listed as en0, and notheing else get detected. Any help?

Edit:

Launched network diagnostic, messed up a bit, and it's working! Thanks.

WoW! I am so happy all of us could walk you step by step through your fix........ :angel:

WAIT... :blink: ...we did not help at all......hehehehe......congrats buddy on the fix :P

Kenny

Okay, I am having an extreme problematic trip through this entire experience.

I have the C751NR laptop and i am using iATKOS r2.0 (basically the latest one out now). So now, I've noticed a lot of people installing Mac for this laptop are using X86. I don't know if you can use a vanilla kernel with an X86 MBR boot up. I was interested in using the vanilla kernel with EFI emulation so yeah.

Basically, I'm kinda really REALLY confused.

I just need to understand exactly what options I should tick for iATKOS r2.0. If I tick the Darwin Bootloader, do I need to select a kernel. Also, what drivers should I select? Should I select the SMBIOS netkas? Should I remove the thermal kexts? Or should I drop everything and just use X86 with the netkas kernel?

Guys, help me out here ;)

Okay I got the installer running fine and i have mac booted up but I need the CD every time. I tried reinstalling the bootloader to no amends. Does anyone know how to fix the bootloader? Also what about the Atheros 5007 chipset?

Hi everyone,I have a minor issue with Kalyway 10.5.2 on my C751NR. I'm using the Mystic C's 10.5.3 Combo update. And after using that. I lose my battery monitor. Anyone have a fix or know a way to fix this issue?Also, no one by chance knows of a better Alps trackpad or keyboard kext to use for our laptops?Thank youNerveband,Not sure anymore on how to fix the bootloader as I use a dual boot method with Ubuntu Linux. But I do know theres a way to do it with terminal to make your mac partition active. I know in the Genius bar forum here on the sir might have that info. Sorry that I can't post links at the moment on my cell phone, but later I will. As for the wifi working. As far as I know, It will not work. I went aheadand bought the wifi mini-pc card from a Compaq C712 unit off ebay and swapped that in my laptop and now OSX works wirelessly fine. Only minor issue is that the wifi lights on the laptop are a light fuscia/light pink color when its active. I mention the model numbers and how I got it off ebay in a post above. Good luck

Update Success!

Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update Package.

After the update, typed update -v and every is back to normal.

Computing essentials (such as USB, Graphic, Wifi, and etc) are working.

I haven't tried sleep. (I don't really need to use it because booting up and shutting down are so FAST!! of course compared to Vista)

No Battery Meter - I always use it plugged, so.. I don't need it either.

Little side story...

I fried my hard disk while I'm installing and deleting stuffs. Probably it was due to the weather (which was over 90 when I installed and reinstalled so many freaking times) and an already failing hard drive. My HDD was constantly reading, writing, and overheating. It gave me a message saying "Hard Drive failure is imminent" and died next day....Luckily I was still on warranty. I got a replacement for free in two days (I had to fight with Indian guys on technical support to get my HDD. They were keep suggesting stuffs that I would never work.) The replacement is a notorious Hitachi drive, but it seems to work much better and quieter than Seagate one. I've never had good endings with Seagate HDDs.

Completing,

What about your hard drive icon? is it a organge icon instead of the basic internal icon? I used Kalyway's update and had that issue like many others do. I'm using it on a Compaq C751NR model. Let me know what kernel/options you used on that update if you can.

I have no idea how to get the battery meter back still, so if anyone has a solution, it would be nice.

Also, what is everyone using for their ALPS trackpad and keyboard kext? I'm currently using the default drivers that installed with Kalyway 10.5.2, and I at times have 7s appearing as I type, and the trackpad stops responding once in awhile and then function normally after a few seconds.

Thanks

now that I think of it, the icon is orange. I didn't even realize that.

I used Vanilla on both 10.5.2 and 10.5.3. The settings were graphic, wireless, sound, and patches except cpu=1 thingy. I also use darwin to dual boot between vista and leopard. For the touchpad, I installed two finger ALPS found from this thread. It works very well. I haven't noticed 777 thing after updating.

I tried 10.5.2 battery meter on my system, but it crashed. So I don't have the answer for that. I would wait until someone test it first.... I'm happy with what I got now.

Update*

Now I'm running on 10.5.4. No patch is necessary for Vanilla. I updated straight from the Software Update.

I noticed the booting time is getting longer and longer after each patch. :blink:

Though, it's still 100x faster than Vista..

Ok, I solved the missing battery meter issue, and so on so far with 10.5.3 and things are working great on my C751NR, just need to see about doing the OS X 10.5.4 update...but here goes on 10.5.3 info if anyone needs it

I did the update made by Mysticus...version 1.4b I believe it is, located on this forum: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry773294

Did the install with no video driver installed, no kernel selected, the default smbios installed, installed all the patches except the PCGENUSB one.

Install went fine, this patch includes the Orange Hard drive issue as well (as a certain kext floating around here). But you will likely lose the battery meter.

To fix the battery meter, I installed the ACPIbatteryfix.kext provided by SuperHai, at his self named site. And while he recommends installing this kext with his Powermanagement bundle, but I had heat issues afterwards. So to fix this, I used a powermanagement bundle kext that I found about on these forums some time ago, I don't have a link to it. Using this ACPIbatteryfix.kext....got me the battery meter back, and without any fan/heat issues.

Now about 10.5.4, I have not had a chance to install it. I am not using a Vanillia kernel system as far as I know, i did a rather default Kalway 10.5.2 install of OSX with nothing changed except no video or audio drivers, and selecting what litle patches and the lan driver. So I assume its not vanillia.

So has anyone in my similar situation been able to do a clean update, either using combo update or Apple Update method without a problem?

Anything lost or gained here? (I think its time we all post up our experience as this might be the best turn around for updating for once)

I would have to asssume so, mine being different than yours by a few things I'm sure. So far I did crash but it was with Superhai's powermanagement bundle, so i used another one I found around here. I'll get gladly send you a copy peronsonally if you want, or to anyone else.

As for the Mysticus C update, i just did the patches, finalize, and left the kernel and smbios alone, and that was it, installed fine.

**EDIT**oh and I used 14b not 14a, maybe there's a issue with 14a?

Hey guys since I reinstalled on this dedicated hard drive I have noticed that certain programs are non functional now stating that quartz extreme is not support. What kext are you guys using to get this to work correctly? anyway I could get someone to link it to me or email it to me if you have quartz extreme working.

hello.

i havent posted in a while, and im new to os x

after reading previous posts i concluded that iAtkos v2.0i was going to be tried out

i had vista (default) made a new partition, installed xp mce on there.

this all worked fine for about 3 months, then i decided to download and install iAtkos.

i made a new partition as Fat32, erased, installed.

upon reboot i noticed that the new bootloader was displaying 4 partitions:

1. Vista

2. Recovery (OEM)

3. XP

4 Mac OS X

i tried booting the os x and it didnt do anything at all.

so after 13 hours of trial and error, i finally installed MacDrive, copied boot.efi to nts folder in vista. i used bcd, and this gave me the result of "No operating system installed"

after this, i changed my partitions around to make my OS X drive active, rebooted, and now i have mac running, but cant get my other os's to work. tried Vista original install disk to try to repair startup, but it doesnt detect my Windows partitions.

with this mac, the usual isnt working : audio in/out, sleep, wifi (broadcom)

something that really bothers me is that my cpu fan isnt running.

this forum said to uninstall it, but i dont know if it was such a good idea.

i tried bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre.sh script to try to get my card recognized, manually added the required kext to the folder, and still doesnt work.

updating right now with my LAN though, will update later.

bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre.sh.zip

BTLDS: As far as graphic kexts, I have never installed any video card kexts on my Compaq C751NR, naively my X3100 intergrated graphics chip has been supported fully with CI/QE without a hitch. Try installing without a graphics card driver instead.

Emmazbestfriend: The main issue I can see is that your not telling us what model your laptop is. Would be very helpful to know this before we can help you. I had issues getting my partition to boot. But technically in the Genius Forums, there is a listed "known" fix to make your OS X partition active. That never worked for me frankly. I ended up installing Unbuntu, and editing grub to load OS X with a application posted around here called Boot_efi that worked great for me. might need to search it out around here.

As for the fan issue, thats a major problem, I can't recall what you delete exactly. I believe its CPUthermo.kext, CPUfan.kext .... maybe something else... I have never had that work for me for some reason, if anyone can explain a good solution for us here?

I lost my fans with the new update after 10.5.4 and 10.5.3 as well as the battery meter which I fixed, but now that I just tried a Time Machine restore after making such changes...its gone...with the fans too.

I know in either Kalyway 10.5.1 or IATKOS 1.0i, there is a kext to remove the CPU thermal drivers, much like the ones I mentioned deleting.

Good luck to you both.

Zeroburn, im using the compaq presario c714nr.

im going to try to delete one of those files to see if that gets my fan to work.

i still cant get my broadcom to work...

that botheres me a lot.

the only reason my laptop isnt completely fried right now is bc i have on of those lap-fan things.

its blowing out hot air constantly though.

I say get a hold of maybe either Iatkos 1.0i or Kalyway 10.5.1 images, and load Pacifist and extract the kext driver to remove the Thermal CPU control drivers, it will do all that deleting work for you and that should I hope do the trick. Its that or you need some better Powermanagement.kext driver.

Someone witht hat model should be able to help you. I have had great sucess with my laptop using Kalyway 10.5.2.

emmazbestfriend//

Try using Kalyway 10.5.2.

I have same model and wifi card, and both wifi and fan works great without any extra kexts.

To fix Vista, do this way.

Set Vista active. Put the repair disc in. Follow steps that automatically pop up. Reboot. Check if the Vista works. Install EasyBCD or whatever you prefer. Done!

If you want to use Darwin as a boot selector, do this instead of installing EasyBCD.

Put Leopard Disc in. Boot into single mode by typing '-s'. Set MacOS partition active. Done!

I tried both ways and I prefer using Darwin because it's one step fewer.

zeroburn, i got the fan working, speedstep works good, mac is running cool after my last install.

everything works fine except I/O, touchpad works when it wants to, and wireless isnt going good at all.

completing, i got the triple booting to work with a mix of apps. easy bcd, acronis disk director, and hiren's boot cd.

this works great with me, and my mom can even boot into any os she wants on my compaqtosh. if your kext for wireless works is it possible for me to use it in my computer?

how did you get your fan working emmazbestfriend?

for the iatkos v2.0i version, i didnt remove the thermal patch

when i used kalyway, i selected the power bundle.

this was major trial and error, and i wish i would have made a spreadsheet of what was installed and removed and then the outcomes.

(Compaq Presario C714NR) Upgraded to 2GB Pc6400 800MHz ram

for the iatkos v2.0i version, i didnt remove the thermal patch

when i used kalyway, i selected the power bundle.

this was major trial and error, and i wish i would have made a spreadsheet of what was installed and removed and then the outcomes.

(Compaq Presario C714NR) Upgraded to 2GB Pc6400 800MHz ram

Yeah, I had to wipe Leopard and go back to Vista exclusively for the past few months (for a contract job that needed almost all of my hard drive space), and I would kill for a comprehensive list of what what worked right and what didn't... I'm really not looking forward to the trial and error of what works with the newer releases and what doesn't. Nor do I want to install from an older release and go through all the updates. Add to that, my Time Machine backup disk got run over (don't ask), so I'd have to REALLY work at getting back to where I was...

That being said, anyone have an exact list of what to install on a C714NR to get a bootable, vanilla install using one of the current releases (iATKOS or Kalyway)? I want my Hacintosh back!

Hi everyone,

I have a current issue, rather on going lately. But my CPU fan is off when I did the recent 10.5.4 update. Anyone have any info or can help me with a small guide on getting my CPU fan going?

I'm using a C751NR, I assume it shouldn't matter between any particular models.

Thanks, would appreciate the info,

ZB