Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Not encouraging! Could it be bad RAM? KSHUMPY, did you say you installed the SATA pack from iatkos?

Does not sound like Ram to me, but if ya think it might be, I'll ups you the gig I pulled out day one. Let me know.

I installed the SATA pack, what ya thinkin?

Kenny

I ran the ram test. The ram is okay. I tried disabling the native SATA in the bios. No changes. I may rerun the installer and add the sata pack. You guys have not got a single odd 7 showing up? And the keyboard collects every stroke? -v

My keys freak out every once and a while, but not often. As I type this I will not go back an correct anything. So far so good, the unid is sitting in my lap now, and I don't think it is missing any thing. I have more problems with the box sitting on the desk.

I could be wrong, but at first glance, might thre be an answer to the audio jacks be somewhere in the dark shadows of AudioDeviceTreeUpdater.kext? I am typing all the extra words to check out the keyboard. No problem now.

Kenny

I ran the ram test. The ram is okay. I tried disabling the native SATA in the bios. No changes. I may rerun the installer and add the sata pack. You guys have not got a single odd 7 showing up? And the keyboard collects every stroke? -v

Honestly, I've never had the repeating 7 (or any other key, for that matter) issue. And that's on a desk, lap, in a car, pretty much everywhere. Never missed a keystroke either.

Good luck with the SATA. Since I am fairly new to MAC are there any must have apps that I should look into purchasing?(Outside of iLife, iWork and Office 2008)Jason
I'm a huge Logic user, but then again, I'm huge into music recording, you may not be. Photoshop, Parallels, amd Opera are really all that come to mind. There's a lot of good stuff out there though..
So far so good! I77777777777777Okay, maybe not. I did not type those 777sss!
It just seems odd to me that it's only 77777 you are seeing. Trying pulling off the key itself and cleaning out you keyboard. You never know, it could be something else. Maybe boot off of a live CD (ubuntu maybe?) and see if you can replicate the issue in another operating system. That's really the only way of knowing for sure.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to toss out there for those looking for audio out/in, Circuit City is running a clearance special on the Creative XMod USB soundcard. It's $24.96, and does "X-Fi", so the sound is pretty stunning. Way better than the onboard audio out, if we could get it to work. I picked one up earlier today (figured it couldn't hurt for $25), and I'm pleasantly impressed. Works out of the box with no software install too. I'm sure that many of you have already gotten other USB audio solutions, but if you haven't, this one is well worth the look and investment.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to toss out there for those looking for audio out/in, Circuit City is running a clearance special on the Creative XMod USB soundcard. It's $24.96, and does "X-Fi", so the sound is pretty stunning. Way better than the onboard audio out, if we could get it to work. I picked one up earlier today (figured it couldn't hurt for $25), and I'm pleasantly impressed. Works out of the box with no software install too. I'm sure that many of you have already gotten other USB audio solutions, but if you haven't, this one is well worth the look and investment.

Thankx for the heads-up! Just got home with it, and it works great. I don't know about where you are, but it was $39 in the store so I got on one of the store computers, bought it online for $25, walked up front and picked it up...hehehe....so you may need to do the online thing to get the deal.

Kenny

Thankx for the heads-up! Just got home with it, and it works great. I don't know about where you are, but it was $39 in the store so I got on one of the store computers, bought it online for $25, walked up front and picked it up...hehehe....so you may need to do the online thing to get the deal.

Kenny

I didn't think about that; I had them price match at the register. Took forever too. They had to call a manager to do an override after looking it up. lol

I just had my first keyboard issue. My girlfriend who types way faster than myself was able to repeatedly create keyboard errors, ranging from the 7s to a number of spaces ect. It was strange to see it happen, especially when i have never had the problem. Thus it would seem that keystroke rate influnces the prevalence of the problem.

Thankx for the heads-up! Just got home with it, and it works great. I don't know about where you are, but it was $39 in the store so I got on one of the store computers, bought it online for $25, walked up front and picked it up...hehehe....so you may need to do the online thing to get the deal.Kenny
Ah you guys are lucky, as no store in my area within 50 miles has it in stock. Oh well, thanks for the heads up anyways...
I just had my first keyboard issue. My girlfriend who types way faster than myself was able to repeatedly create keyboard errors, ranging from the 7s to a number of spaces ect. It was strange to see it happen, especially when i have never had the problem. Thus it would seem that keystroke rate influnces the prevalence of the problem.
What are your keyboard settings in system preferences for "Delay Until Repeat"? Does setting it to off give you any issues?

Paulicat, this kext solves the 7777 issue, but it introduces a weird new one. While typing, the cursor will jump. I tried several different text editors. (Word, TextEdit, NeoOffice). Can you upload your PS2Nub? Maybe that would solve it. Thanks -v

Guys! Paulicat's kext has click/drag and tap enabled! That's what's going on. Try it out. -v

Tried it, but was not able to get drag or tap enabled. Are you seeing a trackpad setting in System Preferences?