Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

Cool, I never got Kalyway going on mine. what did you do?

Trial and Error. Wasn't too hard though. Just a bit of work...

When you say "everything" does that include audio jacks, and mic?

With the iATKOS install, going to sleep works, and it will wake, but the fan will not come back, so she gets hot fast.

Same here - exactly. No audio jacks or mic - and sleep works - but fan doesn't work until around 85 degress Cel. Shut Down and start again resets the fan - so back to 55 / 60 Cel temps).

I also have a tiny bluetooth dongle now so BlueTooth is running (Cirago BTA 3210) - this comes with a rounded end as well for nearly perm install.

Just FYI.

-Daniel

wireless isn't the same for all. in particular the 751 card isn't known to work. I searched ebay for 441090 and bought one of those cards (same as 712) for $20. then with iATKOS r2 wifi worked out of the box :P I actually never even tried the card it came with - anybody have success with it? just make sure if you go for the 751 to get this exact card and not a dell 1390 or similar, as HPs are known to have bios whitelist issues with third party cards.

all in all the 751 makes a great $600 hacbook ($450 at bby + $20 wifi + $129 leopard + $1 apple sticker for legitimacy). I actually upped the ram to 2gb too if you want to factor that in. only issues for me are sleep and battery life. I put it together for my wife but often she has to pry "her laptop" from my hands to use it :)

what options did you pick for c751, i tried iatkos 1.0 (not r2) and get a blinking cursor after reboot,

also no matter what i do in gparted, after reboot the compaq partition shows up

ok guys finally got it working on my c751 (with 2gb ram and broadcomm wifi card), thinks look good. the only thing as far as I am concerned is that the xbench score is really low, the opengl performance in particular is very bad, with my c500 (1.86ghz pentium m) I got 70. only get a 53 with the c700, are the x3100 drives the culprit

I have it running on my c751nr now with 2gb ram.

I used the iATKOS 1.0ir2. I was getting the blinking cursor when not booting the the DVD in the drive. I fixed it with Partition Table Doctor from Hiren's Boot CD to rebuild the MBR.

I added the a.zip from prvious posts.

What works:

LAN

Sound

Touchpad tapping and two finger scroll (doesnt work well though)

Battery Meter, % remaining only though

function keys (volume +/-, etc)

playing dvd's

What doesn't work:

Wireless

Audio jacks/mic

sleep

scroll area on the right side of the touch pad.

battery says it isn't charging even though it is (the % keeps increasing while plugged in)

EDIT: After installing the a.zip files, it is noticeably cooler to the touch. I don't know what temps it was running at before, but it's running 50-55 degrees Celsius now.

I have it running on my c751nr now with 2gb ram.

I used the iATKOS 1.0ir2. I was getting the blinking cursor when not booting the the DVD in the drive. I fixed it with Partition Table Doctor from Hiren's Boot CD to rebuild the MBR.

I added the a.zip from prvious posts.

What works:

LAN

Sound

Touchpad tapping and two finger scroll (doesnt work well though)

Battery Meter, % remaining only though

function keys (volume +/-, etc)

playing dvd's

What doesn't work:

Wireless

Audio jacks/mic

sleep

scroll area on the right side of the touch pad.

battery says it isn't charging even though it is (the % keeps increasing while plugged in)

EDIT: After installing the a.zip files, it is noticeably cooler to the touch. I don't know what temps it was running at before, but it's running 50-55 degrees Celsius now.

What wireless does the c751 have? Broadcom4311 maybe? If so it will work.

Are you saying only half the touch pad is working, or am I reading wrong?

Temps are the same as mine

Kenny

The touchpad works. The two finger scrolling works but I turned it off because it didn't feel right. The scrolling area doesn't make pages scroll, it works like the rest of the touch pad.

The wireless is Atheros 5007. I have seen a few tutorials on how to get it to work, but I want to make a complete backup that I can restore from incase it goes bad. I'm having troubles finding a good method to do it. I have been using partimage to create disk images in the past, but it doesn't work with hfs+.

The touchpad works. The two finger scrolling works but I turned it off because it didn't feel right. The scrolling area doesn't make pages scroll, it works like the rest of the touch pad.

The wireless is Atheros 5007. I have seen a few tutorials on how to get it to work, but I want to make a complete backup that I can restore from incase it goes bad. I'm having troubles finding a good method to do it. I have been using partimage to create disk images in the past, but it doesn't work with hfs+.

Someone posted a bit back on how to get the scroll area to work; it works on mine now. It's a bit involved, but worth it, in my opinion. As far as backups go, Leopard has a great utility built in - Time Machine. I've restored off of it plenty of times when I've fsked things up. ~_^

my c751nr works pretty well, everything except the audio jacks work (had to swap the atheros 5007 for a broadcomm 4311 wifi card), has anyone had success getting speed step to work on this

Speed step worked when I first installed. But I changed to Vanilla kernel so now it's a no go

Kenny

What do you mean by swap? Are you using a usb wifi card or do you have the wifi working with broadcomm 4311 drivers?

Look here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry434550

Good Luck

Kenny

What do you mean by swap? Are you using a usb wifi card or do you have the wifi working with broadcomm 4311 drivers?

mini pci express broadcomm card from the c500, works out of the box in the c700, c500 doesnt accept the atheros card from the c700 (it gives 104 unsupported)

I have the side-bar scrolling set up and working like a dream now, thanks for the help. I had previously read the other threads about this but couldn't get the scrolling to work. It turned out that I wasn't reading the instructions correctly and I was installing one of the kexts to the wrong path.

Edit: for some reason, even with horizontal scrolling turned off, it likes to scroll quickly to the right randomly. I turned the horizontal scrolling off, made it so it it's not sensitive and the speed is all the way down. The "Ignore weaker axis" is also checked. Any ideas?

I can't seem to get the wireless working with the link that you provided. It makes my laptop lock up before Finder starts. It will finish starting after the screen turns off (leaving it sit for a few minutes) and I move the mouse to turn the screen back on. It also kills my wired networking.

Hi,

My touchpad has gone nuts. It happened yesterday. If I touch it at all, the pointer jumps all over the place, it locks on or opens things as if I pressed and held the left button. USB mouse will move the pointer, but will not unlock whatever it has grabed. If I reboot, turn off touch pad and just use mouse, I'm good.

I had been using the setup that Chris posted 2/28, and all worked great, till yesterday. Thought something in the install went bad, so I reinstalled and it worked till 2nd reboot. Then (get this) I popped the iATKOS DVD and it freeked out at the first screen. Vista and Ubuntu work fine, keyboard works fine. I'm stumped.

Anybody else got any issues?

Kenny

Those of you who have tweaked the settings to get scrolling working reliably on your trackpad, can you post your trackpad pref file? This would help all of us out. Changing and testing the settings is time consuming! Thanks -v

Hi all,

The problem with the trackpad from the above post, IS JUST STRANGE! I have been messing with this and going nuts.

But, I have found the answer. VISTA :P If I boot into Microjunk it is doing something to lock on and mess up the trackpad.

I have installed Ubuntu for testing, and it has the same effect there.

This last time, I was able to boot into Linux, and force power down. When it rebooted, Linux did some test and repairs, and something released Vista's hold on the trackpad.

Anyone ever heard of such? Happens with a soft reboot, full reboot, and forced (hold power button)...Any ideas?

Kenny

BTW, Vanilla , what are you looking for when you say pref file....kext, plist, some text file.....let me know and I'll post it.

• 2 weeks later...
I am seeing some mouse weirdness too, I am wondering if this is an osx issue, or a hardware issue, I see similar issue in wndows xp too from time to time

What laptop do you have? On the C700s what seem to be working is found in a zip file Vanilla put together a whils back. For me it works for the trackpad, and getting the temps down (must be running a vanilla kernel).

Track pad has tap, drag, and scroll working well.

Kenny

What laptop do you have? On the C700s what seem to be working is found in a zip file Vanilla put together a whils back. For me it works for the trackpad, and getting the temps down (must be running a vanilla kernel).

Track pad has tap, drag, and scroll working well.

Kenny

i have a c751, i am using the kexts from a.zip, it works fine for the most part but the mouse does act up from time to time

Guys, I need some help here. My previously aforementioned temperature issues (due to me doing a default install of iATKOS v1.0i) are really getting bad, and I need to be running a stock kernel. I'm currently sitting at 83 and 84 C for my cores. If I reinstall properly with the stock kernel, can I restore from Time Machine over that and keep the stock kernel? Vanilla, you're probably the guy with knowledge on this one.

Chris, you need to start from scratch, install vanilla, update to 10.5.2, then install the a.zip kexts.Guys, I'm in Vista writing this. Guess what? The trackpad is doing exactly the same thing! You start writing a message and the cursor jumps back. I think this machine is just whacked. -vAh, check this out: http://forums.slickdeals.net/archive/index.php/t-710221.html

Chris,

For the most part you can restore everything. For some reason some apps don't come back 100%. If you have the room you can copy your OSX partition, and have an extra backup. Time machine does work very well, it will restore apps, network settings, users, and something else (I forgot) but your new kernel setup will stay unchanged.

Good luck

Kenny