Install on the Compaq C714NR?

Maximos

619 posts in this topic

I reverted to vanilla nub.kext. Here it is if you don't have it around. http://homepage.mac.com/bjeecw/ACPIPS2Nub.kext.zip There are no settings available in Sys Prefs. It just works.

The cursor thing is a little wonky. But I can live with it for tap/drag. -v

Oddly, it did not work for me. Oh well!

I've been experimenting with the ALPS driver anyways. If I get anywhere with it, I'll be sure to post my steps.

Didn't work on my end either, though I guess that could be because I'm set up a bit differently as far as my kernel goes. *shrug* I've gotten used to it not being there when I use the trackpad, so it's no big deal.

Got it working! I used a different kext though...

Give it a shot.

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

Give it a shot.

Awesome! That one works for me. Though two-finger scrolling is FUBAR. I have a feeling that has more to do with the trackpad's hardware not being designed to detect two fingers, but I could be wrong. I'm definitely no expert in the field of trackpad technology! lol I just turned it off (and dialed down the Tracking Speed a couple of notches) under the Trackpad tab under Mice & Keyboards. Tap-clicking is a wonderful addition for when I'm on the road; I just use a wireless mouse at my desk. Thanks Scott!

Give it a shot.

Hey everyone.

Great news (at least I think so):

I have the trackpad working with edge scrolling. Kaly 10.5.1 (+EFI) vanilla kernel. C714NR

Start with this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

Then follow this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=634560

Everything seems to be pretty solid so far.

Let me know if you have any questions... I had to monkey with it for a little bit before it all started working right...

-Daniel

Hey guys, im so happy I found this thread. I got the C717NR on black friday, and I a trying to install the iATKOS DVD release that you guys use as I type this up. I tried using the Kalyway disc, however, it kept freeznig upon the first boot. It would freeze at the ethernet controller... It does detect the wireless, however. Ill post how well I can get it working too. Im taking the suggestions you guys used with the version below the one I have for the C717NR...let's watch and see what happens :)

ARRGGG!!

It did not work. I get the "com.apple.Boot.plist not found" error. Not fun!!!!! Going to try installing it again...what do you guys think went wrong?

This is getting a litle ridiculous now. I have tried installing it atleast 5 times with the Kalyway disc, and 3 times now with the iATKOS disc...IT DOESNT WORK!!! I don't know what the problem is. I have tried doing what you guys did...it just doesn't work. Now I keep getting the com.apple.boot.plist not found" error.

This is getting a litle ridiculous now. I have tried installing it atleast 5 times with the Kalyway disc, and 3 times now with the iATKOS disc...IT DOESNT WORK!!! I don't know what the problem is. I have tried doing what you guys did...it just doesn't work. Now I keep getting the com.apple.boot.plist not found" error.

Hi,

Things to try: If you have anything pluged in usb - unplug it. Burn DVD at low speed. Make sure SATA Native is Enabled in BIOS

It will work for you-----its just gotta :rolleyes:

Let us know

Kenny

Hi,

Things to try: If you have anything pluged in usb - unplug it. Burn DVD at low speed. Make sure SATA Native is Enabled in BIOS

It will work for you-----its just gotta ;)

Let us know

Kenny

Sorry for being very douche like, I was pissed that it didn't work and I had to go to work at the time (ugh)...but guess what. As I type this I have sata native DISABLED!!! I think the problem is right there! Gonna try it right now, i'll let you guys know again. Thanks!

The C717NR has an internal card reader that shows up through usb, that a problem?

EDIT: ARRGGGG!!! Setting sata to native still didn't work. Keep getting '/com.apple.boot.plist' not found error. I also burned the dvd at the slowest speed possible. The disc also reports it as being fine, ill burn another though because I have {censored} loads of dvds and its worth it :)

When you guys use iATKOS R2, what things are you selecting when you customize the installation?

Also, once I do get this installed, how do I update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2? Can I just use Kalyway's comboupdate?

Hey everyone.

Great news (at least I think so):

I have the trackpad working with edge scrolling. Kaly 10.5.1 (+EFI) vanilla kernel. C714NR

Start with this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

Then follow this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=634560

Everything seems to be pretty solid so far.

Let me know if you have any questions... I had to monkey with it for a little bit before it all started working right...

-Daniel

Works for me too! Wow, in just a few days, we have a fully functional trackpad again! Kudos on the find!

Sorry for being very douche like, I was pissed that it didn't work and I had to go to work at the time (ugh)...but guess what. As I type this I have sata native DISABLED!!! I think the problem is right there! Gonna try it right now, i'll let you guys know again. Thanks!

The C717NR has an internal card reader that shows up through usb, that a problem?

EDIT: ARRGGGG!!! Setting sata to native still didn't work. Keep getting '/com.apple.boot.plist' not found error. I also burned the dvd at the slowest speed possible. The disc also reports it as being fine, ill burn another though because I have {censored} loads of dvds and its worth it :)

When you guys use iATKOS R2, what things are you selecting when you customize the installation?

Also, once I do get this installed, how do I update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2? Can I just use Kalyway's comboupdate?

Look here for custom settings: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry598840

I used Kalyway's comboupdate and it worked like a charm!

Kenny

Im trying it again with the iATKOS disc. I can't get it to work correctly with the Kalyway disc, it gets stuck at the ethernet port upon boot up :) Unless I have the ability to add the driver to the kalyway disc, only the iATKOS disc has the driver I need for now.

I have not gotten the kalyway DVD to boot without -x, but iATKOS works great!

Kenny

Burned another disc at 2x speed (slowest speed I can burn it at). It has still not worked. I keep getting the same error that it can not find the /com.apple.boot.plist

EDIT: Ok, it only gives me that error now with the disc in. But when one thing goes, another problem comes in. When it goes to boot off fo the HDD it just gives me a black screen with a blinking cursor thing...

EDIT2: Now when I leave the disc in and select F8, and then -v to see what it is doing and where it gets stuck...it just boots the dvd then. What is going on with this?

Burned another disc at 2x speed (slowest speed I can burn it at). It has still not worked. I keep getting the same error that it can not find the /com.apple.boot.plist

EDIT: Ok, it only gives me that error now with the disc in. But when one thing goes, another problem comes in. When it goes to boot off fo the HDD it just gives me a black screen with a blinking cursor thing...

EDIT2: Now when I leave the disc in and select F8, and then -v to see what it is doing and where it gets stuck...it just boots the dvd then. What is going on with this?

Ok your getting closer

try leaving the DVD in and let it run through the count down.....do not hit f8

What is the md5 of the iso?

I have...d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

If I leave the disc in I get the '/com.apple.boot.plist' not found error ;)

try this

boot dvd..hit f8

at Boot: hit -s enter

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

update

write

quit

reboot

this may work

kenny

Wow, this is crazy. Everything we throw at this does nothing. I am still getting the same errors (arg!)

What was all that supposed to do though?

Flag the #1 partition as active and update MBR

Hmmmmm.....when you re install, you are erasing the partition? Right?

Flag the #1 partition as active and update MBR

Hmmmmm.....when you re install, you are erasing the partition? Right?

Yeah, I erased the partition and created a new one each time. Is it supposed to be MBR? Because when I choose Mac OSX (Journaled) it makes it GUID. Is that a problem?

Yes I am. Is it supposed to be MBR? Because when I choose Mac OSX (Journaled) it makes it GUID. Is that a problem?

Worth a shot, all mine are Mac OSX (Journaled) and MBR......other than that, I'm lost

You might do a search for boot problems or something like that.....just don't give up

I'll put my 80gb back in tomorrow and play, and see if I can get it to mess up and go from there

good luck and good night

kenny

Worth a shot, all mine are Mac OSX (Journaled) and MBR......other than that, I'm lost

You might do a search for boot problems or something like that.....just don't give up

I'll put my 80gb back in tomorrow and play, and see if I can get it to mess up and go from there

good luck and good night

kenny

Alright, thanx for all your help. Ill add more tomorrow based on my results.