[HowTo] Intel 8xx 1280x800 Full Support

meddlingBanter

461 posts in this topic

just to let you all know:

all this QE-enabeling "tricks" DO NOT work for Intel Centrino Notebooks with 855GM Chipset and 8285x-Gfxcard (ID in "About this Mac" -> Graphics -> 0x3285.

Sorry, i tried everything, including a clean install with release1 patched dvd an empty hd with only ONE partition on 3 different centrino-notebooks:

asus m2400n

samsung x05

samsung x10

cheerio..dont waste yer time..

Hmmm.... see attached.

post-5255-1126563426_thumb.png

could you please outline exactly what you did?

thanks!

1. Installed the Generic 1 Patched DVD

2. Booted in -x

3. Deleted all AppleIntel* kext

4. Extracted the attached kext into /System/Library/Extensions

5. Chmod them

6. Wheel them

7. In terminal wrote> touch /System/Library/Extensions

8. Rebooted

9. Used -v -F boot parameters

10. QE enabled

To keep QE enabled from a cold boot I have to boot to the XP login and then restart into OSX.

If I forget and get a scrambled/pixelated screen, I hold the power button and kill osx, boot into XP to the login screen, and then restart into OSX.

This has worked for me for a good couple of weeks now.

Good luck.

Removed for DMCA violation.

Again, this is the only method that works for me. I have a sony laptop that automatically allocates the memory it needs, but I'm guessing that for whatever reason the bios isn't recognizing the needs of os x to do this, and so it doesn't work. Has anyone had any luck w/ the bios wrapping programs posted earlier in this thread. They are to be compiled for freebsd, but I haven't had time to see if they'll work in darwin also.

for those who got the 855 to work..

when u reboot from windows, does darwin still only recognise 3mb of ram?

i always get the stupid blue screen and thats it... plain blue.. no pixelations no nothing..

sony x505 is what im working on

Finally got QE working on my Gateway 4530GZ with intel 855GM. I tried using the files posted in these forums but could not get it to work with those files. I mooched the AppleIntel830* files off the Darwin X86 8.0.1 iso and put those files in the extensions folder and it worked like a charm. Though I do have the have to reboot to windows or linux to get the proper memory allocation thing.

The only file I had to edit was the info.plist in the AppleIntelInegrated.kext. also use the built in property list editor in finder to edit the file to get to it right click the kext package in finder and select "Show package contents" this way it will open a new window with the contents folder go inside it and double click the info.plist this will bring up the property list editor click on dump and make your changes then save the file. Also I noticed changing the permissions on the .kext package in finder propagates the correct permissions to the subsequent files in the folder automatically. Just select more info on the kext package in finder and set the permissions as read and write for owner and read only for group and others (provided you are logged in as root) also select the group as wheel

The best way to do it is to log in as root and use the finder for everything. To enable root login on the login wndow just login as a user that has sudo rights open up a terminal type "sudo -s" then type "passwd" this will ask for a root password make up a secure password that you wont forgert. Once done press ctrl+d twice to logout of the terminal and then logout using the apple menu now you can select other from the login window and type in the username root and give the root password to login.

Dont use nano for editing the info.plist files. I am a long time unix user so I am very comfortable with command line but I guess half the faliures here result from improper permissions.

Also If you are posting files on the forum make sure you make a tar archive first and then use what ever compression you want on that file. The advantage of the tar archive is that it preserves all the permissioms on the files.

1.  Installed the Generic 1 Patched DVD

2.  Booted in -x

3.  Deleted all AppleIntel* kext

4.  Extracted the attached kext into /System/Library/Extensions

5.  Chmod them

6.  Wheel them

7.  In terminal wrote> touch /System/Library/Extensions

8.  Rebooted

9.  Used -v -F boot parameters

10. QE enabled

To keep QE enabled from a cold boot I have to boot to the XP login and then restart into OSX.

If I forget and get a scrambled/pixelated screen, I hold the power button and kill osx, boot into XP to the login screen, and then restart into OSX.

This has worked for me for a good couple of weeks now.

Good luck.

thanks for the help! i do not currently have windows installed. do you get the widescreen resolution without booting into windows? i'm not concerned about QE right now, i just want the widescreen to work.

thanks for the help! i do not currently have windows installed. do you get the widescreen resolution without booting into windows? i'm not concerned about QE right now, i just want the widescreen to work.

From memory, I think if you

1. Remove all AppleIntel* kext

2. Put the AppleIntelIntegrated kext into the Extensions folder

3. chmod and wheel

4. reboot

That should work. These things were covered in the first few pages of this topic (worth double checking to make sure I haven't missed anything)

From memory, I think if you

1.  Remove all AppleIntel* kext

2.  Put the AppleIntelIntegrated kext into the Extensions folder

3.  chmod and wheel

4.  reboot

That should work.  These things were covered in the first few pages of this topic (worth double checking to make sure I haven't missed anything)

i tried that, and what happens is it frees up more resolutions. i now get 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480, and they all work. the only thing is, i don't get anything higher than 1024x768 : (

1280x768 is not a mode defined in the BIOS for the 855, but i'd expect it to pick up 1280x1024 at least.

delweeq: sorry, but installing INFINST_AUTOL.EXE and win2k_xp1415.exe (VGA driver) didnt change anything.. NOGO for ppl with 855GM :(

wipmac, if i may get off track for a sec, how were you able to get sound going on the m2n? Which install did u use? I'm asking because my notebook has equivalent specs but i can't get audio to work!

I have been playing with this for a few days, and seem to have everything working, except for one nagging issue.

I have QE enabled on my 865 Intel Integrated Graphics, and I get 1280 x 1024 on my NEC MultiSync LCD 1960NXi after entering the device id into the i830 kext and intel integrated kext, so it seems like the drivers are working as expected in that regard - see screen shot for the specifics.

The problem I am seeing, though, is that when the drivers were not loading, and I was at the default 1024 x768 with no QE, the quicktime player would play video's just fine, but now that I have full res, and QE enabled, I get a green window where the video would normally play.

I havent seen anything about this from anyone else, but wondered if anyone had any ideas?

post-10474-1126718053_thumb.jpg

mactogo: sound enabled here on the m2n by using the darwin-kext AND starting osx86 with the argument platform=acpi !

probably it would have worked with the original kext too.. but i didnt know i have to start in acpi-mode...

cheerio and good luck.

btw: still no QE runnin on 855GM with 8252x GM :)(

What does a Windows XP install on a second partiiton and booting in that and then restarting into Mac OS x86 have to do with the support of Quartz Extreme in Mac OS x86???

I feel like I've been arguing this for quite some time with no such agreement from anyone else. I still think it has something to do with the built in video memory management, and OS X not knowing how to take advantage of it. (... or rather.. not having drivers that DO take advantage of it...) Despite what the darwin loader reports, I think there is video memory from the windows boot that has not been deallocated when the system restarts. Then when you boot into os x, qe works because there is now enough video memory to work with. I mean this is just a theory and its worked for me. Nothing is absolute, but check out the email I got from Intel.

================================================

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

The Intel® 82855GM graphics controller can dynamically allocate from 11MB to 64MB of the system's memory for graphics processing. For optimum performance we recommend there to be a minimum of 256MB of system memory and the latest drivers need to be installed. In other words, the graphics controller will only use up to 64MB of the system memory when needed. As far as adding video memory, there is no option to do so and the allocation process is fully automatic and cannot be adjusted.

For more information on the memory usage of the Intel® 82855GM graphics controller please visit the following webpage:

http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets...shts/252615.htm

For more information on the supported graphics features of the Intel® 82855GM graphics controller please visit the following webpage:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/...2gm/feature.htm

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Carlos B.

Intel® Technical Support

Intel® System Software Web Site

http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

Intel® Graphics Support Web Site

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/

Intel® Desktop Boards Support Web Site

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/

===================================================

Now.. if someone wants to help me find a way to raise the volume, I'd be ecstatic. I'm under the impression that my controls are acpi controlled and even with the bootflag, with no software to take advantage of this, I get nowhere. Note: the buttons still work (...well they might now... i just know that the mute button works, only it doesn't actually control volume.)

Just thought I'd get this in before they ban all requests like this :).

I feel like I've been arguing this for quite some time with no such agreement from anyone else.  I still think it has something to do with the built in video memory management, and OS X not knowing how to take advantage of it. (... or rather.. not having drivers that DO take advantage of it...)  Despite what the darwin loader reports, I think there is video memory from the windows boot that has not been deallocated when the system restarts.  Then when you boot into os x, qe works because there is now enough video memory to work with. I mean this is just a theory and its worked for me. Nothing is absolute, but check out the email I got from Intel.

<snip>

i tried it and it didn't work. in windows xp i enabled the 2nd monitor and drove up the resolution. the graphics driver reported that it allocated 23MB of ram. i rebooted, went to Mac OS X, no QE.

I have a Dell 700m and fist used deadmoo's img. I also got QE worked without first boot to XP, but now I lost it. I don't know how i did it. At the beginning, QE didn't work even i boot to xp first. Later I pathed Maxxxus's 0.5c and tried to copy AppleIntel830* files from Darwin CD, following someone's method. QE worked, and I didn't need to boot to xp first. Bad thing is my partition crashed and I reinstalled again. From then on, I have to boot xp first to get QE working. I think some files may need to be modified.

It seems like the methods above you guys used worked on your system, but it doesn't work on my Toshiba laptop w/ 855gme onboard video. And, here I'm only trying to get the resolution to work correctly, forget about QE. I tried the AppleIntegratedGraphics.kext method with my device id(3582). When OSX loaded up, the color and resolution was displaying fine the way I wanted in the widescreen resolution. As it reached the desktop, the color would change to black and white. And now, I'm putting the original .kext file back to display the normal fixed 1024 by 768(32b) resolution. I also tried the other methods mentioned in this thread, which didn't work. Has anyone experienced the black and white color? Is there anyway to get around it?

By the way, this was done on a native installation w/ 2 partition(XP) with the DVD install, also with the latest bios. Any advice is welcome.

It seems like the methods above you guys used worked on your system, but it doesn't work on my Toshiba laptop w/ 855gme onboard video. And, here I'm only trying to get the resolution to work correctly, forget about QE. I tried the AppleIntegratedGraphics.kext method with my device id(3582). When OSX loaded up, the color and resolution was displaying fine the way I wanted in the widescreen resolution. As it reached the desktop, the color would change to black and white. And now, I'm putting the original .kext file back to display the normal fixed 1024 by 768(32b) resolution. I also tried the other methods mentioned in this thread, which didn't work. Has anyone experienced the black and white color? Is there anyway to get around it?

By the way, this was done on a native installation w/ 2 partition(XP) with the DVD install, also with the latest bios. Any advice is welcome.

Did you delete other Appleintel* files?

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO Pentium-M 1.73Ghz with Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910ML Express Chipset family (as listed in my device manager under XP).

Based on these discussions, how would I enable widescreen and also resolutions beyond 1024x768 resolution and also QE?

From what I understand, my machine has a Intel Integrated Graphics 900 GMA card.

Also, Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection and Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection is listed under Network adapters. Will I get wireless internet without buying a USB wireless card?

As I'm a newbie, I'm confused on how to do it. Appreciate if somebody can walk me step by step on achieving this.

Rgds.

mac_newbie

felixding is absolutely right. The information is here if you are prepared to spend a little time looking for it... 30 seconds of searching and I found this link.

Try that, if you have problems post them back with details to that thread.

Also there are plenty of threads on the wireless question, try posting your question there.