[HowTo] Intel 8xx 1280x800 Full Support

meddlingBanter

461 posts in this topic

I folks!

First I'd like to thank the terrific posts that helped me finally get QE working after 5 days of trial and error. I still have 1 question. Is it ok not to have Core Image Supprt? What am I really loosing out without it?

T1_-1_648325.jpg

Guest delweeg

There is a patch for unix-like systems (including FreeBSD) which will resolve our problems with getting enough of video memory to boot into MacOS (QE support) instead of getting 'blue screen'. No Windows.

Here it goes: patch

And the second one (which is another variation): 2nd patch

I had no success of compiling it in MacOS X (with Xtools).

We need someone who can compile it under Darwin! PLZ HELP!!!

Another idea is to build our own small linux (like Damn Small Linux) and to put it in on another partition with this patch. It will boot and and restart straight away to MacOS X.

OK, lets try to get it working!

Here's a dumb question...

I am running OSX86 on a Toshiba laptop with an Nvidia Go5100 graphics card....I know this 1280x800 fix is for Integrated Graphics systems, but is there any way I might be able to use this? I've tried modifying the AppleIntel830 and AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics kexts, but to no avail.

Am I dreaming...do I need an Nvidia driver that doesn't exist?

Hi.

I have pentuin4 sse2, intel 865PE and nvidia geforce4 ti4200, on OSX86->About Mac->Graphic/display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0281

Revision: 0x00a1

Core Image: not supported

Quartz Extreme: not supported

I try to do yours reviews, i edit "AppleIntel915.ketxt" and "AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext" and change "2582" to 2572 but nothing, i prove to change to 0281 but nothing, i prove to edit "AppleIntel830.ketxt" too but nothing, i prove to edit "AppleIntel830GA.plugin" and "AppleIntel915GA.plugin" but nothing.

I PROVE ALL, but nothing, nothing, nothing. The propeties in Graphics/Displays is teh same.

HELP ME, PLEASE.

There is a patch for unix-like systems (including FreeBSD) which will resolve our problems with getting enough of video memory to boot into MacOS (QE support) instead of getting 'blue screen'. No Windows.

Here it goes: patch

And the second one (which is another variation): 2nd patch

I had no success of compiling it in MacOS X (with Xtools).

We need someone who can compile it under Darwin! PLZ HELP!!!

Another idea is to build our own small linux (like Damn Small Linux) and to put it in on another partition with this patch. It will boot and and restart straight away to MacOS X.

OK, lets try to get it working!

I wonder if this will work with OS X X86. Thanks for the post. I'll try compiling under darwin this weekend when I get some free time.

I folks!

First I'd like to thank the terrific posts that helped me finally get QE working after 5 days of trial and error. I still have 1 question. Is it ok not to have Core Image Supprt? What am I really loosing out without it?

T1_-1_648325.jpg

Meh, core image is just a bunch of fancy filters. The older gen ibook g4s with the ati mobility 9200s don't support core image. I think its just for the newer high-end video-related stuff, (like pretty ripples when you clutter your dashboard with widgets, and support for the new bloated hidef apple video formats. Theres more to it than that. But its nothing you'll die without. I promise :lol:.

As for quartz extreme, I found that unless I'm playing games, I don't really need it. It's nice for pretty fast user switching, and multiple virtual desktop management, but it just seems like less hassle to remove the Intel830 files and use the os without qe. It's so irritating to boot and forget that I didn't boot into windows first. Again, I'll try compiling those files deeqweed supplied.

@paco, Please read the instruction more closely. I don't really know whether you did it right or you didn't explain your process clearly on your post. I only edited AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext, and completly removed all the AppleIntel8*.kext files. Then copied only the AppleIntel830.kext from the Darwin 8.01 CD.

Afterwards, chommed and wheels all the files in the extentions folder as per instructions. Finally,restarted the computer. If you get blocks or no video after reboot, do a: -f -v as Ja5 explained eirlier in the thread. I had to do it 3x to be able to enter in graphics mode.

NOTE: You must edit the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext correctly. Read all the examples in the thread. If not done correctly, it will not work.

Best of luck!

Meh, core image is just a bunch of fancy filters. The older gen ibook g4s with the ati mobility 9200s don't support core image. I think its just for the newer high-end video-related stuff, (like pretty ripples when you clutter your dashboard with widgets, and support for the new bloated hidef apple video formats. Theres more to it than that. But its nothing you'll die without. I promise :lol:.

As for quartz extreme, I found that unless I'm playing games, I don't really need it. It's nice for pretty fast user switching, and multiple virtual desktop management,  but it just seems like less hassle to remove the Intel830 files and use the os without qe. It's so irritating to boot and forget that I didn't boot into windows first. Again, I'll try compiling those files deeqweed supplied.

That's great to hear mate. I'm not the fancy eye candy type either. But for some reason QE just feels a whole lot more smoother. I don't see dragging contents anymore and fonts seam more smooth. But I'm glad I can live without Core Graphics.

The main reason I needed QE is for image reproduction at high resolution. It just sucks working on a website at 1024. Multiple desktop helps also also. Sorry about your inconvenience. I read about your problem earlier in the thread. Sorry I don't have a solution for you.

If you get blocks or no video after reboot, do a: -f -v as Ja5 explained eirlier in the thread. I had to do it 3x to be able to enter in graphics mode.

if I understand this correctly, that means after I have delt with the kext thing, I need to boot OSX with these arguments:

-F -v

, and when I see the blocks I have to click the "Restart" from the Apple menu (by guessing the position, of course), and boot OSX like in this way again and again (maybe 3x times and even more), - is that right?

and, should I boot into Windows XP first?

thanks.

Yes, keep forcing OS X to load the new kext files you added and edited. I wasn't able to anything when the big ass bocks appeared so good old restart button was my sulution. You shouldn't have to boot into windows, but if you think you'll get lucky by doing so, by all means.

Yes, keep forcing OS X to load the new kext files you added and edited. I wasn't able to anything when the big ass bocks appeared so good old restart button was my sulution. You shouldn't have to boot into windows, but if you think you'll get lucky by doing so, by all means.

thank you!

one more question: do you use 830.kext from darwin, or just leave them untouched(only modify integratedgraphics)?

thank you!

one more question: do you use 830.kext from darwin, or just leave them untouched(only modify integratedgraphics)?

Yes, as indicated here from serveral posts, you have to use the kexts files (830) from Darwn. You can try not adding them yourself. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I noticed that when I get scrambled screen and Mac locks up when I reboot, I can go into safemode and change the reso to 1024x768, 100Hz, million. Ironically, when I first enter safemode, the default is 1024x768, 85Hz, million. Which isn't support in normal working mode. But when you change it to 1024x768, 100Hz, million, the 1024x768, 85Hz, million completely disappears. Note that this is while in safemode.

I go and boot to windows for a minue or two, then back to Mac and the scrambled screen is fixed. No more problems until I start jerking around with settings, upgrade/downgrade/sidegrade to find the best benchmark score. Then it happens again which forces me to redo the same cycle again.

Hello, I have got a Dell Inspiron 510m with 855GM integrated graphics.

I'm using Darwin drivers with 855 serial number (0x35....) and I have full 1400x1050 resolution and QE.

My problem is that with both vlc and quicktime playing is really green and you can't distinguish anything. Is anyone having this issue, any idea to solve it please?

Thanks.

still having severe problems with my setup. i have a Fujitsu P5020 (very similar to the P7000 mentioned earlier in the thread) which has the 855GM chip. as it is now, i can only get 1024x768 32 bit, no QE. other resolutions available via the 'Display' in "System Preferences" are 800x600 and 640x480. all square resolutions.

this is what i've done:

removed all AppleIntel* from the base install

used the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics and modified the plist to my device ID.

inserted the AppleIntel830 files (3 of them) from the Darwin8.01 ISO into the system/library/extensions directory

chmodded/chowned everything.

i get the blue background of MacOS shifted to the left, with garbage on the right edge, and no display of anything. no logon, no anything.

is it possible that the display is on the VGA out? i noticed in "About this Mac" that it did pick up that there were two displays, one was the laptop LCD of course and the other one said "disconnected" (i'm assuming this is the VGA output).

currently i am connected via SSH. is there a way to change the primary monitor, if that is indeed the issue, via command line?

thanks! without this forum i wouldn't have made it this far.

Hi all!

Can anyone explain?

For weeks I have run the Mac OS x86 on an Intel 865G based chipset. No Quartz Extreme no matter what offered solutions on this forum I tried. My last hopes were put on the AppleIntel830's from the original Darwin x86 ISO. No luck there either. So I gave it up. Wiped Mac OS x86 from my disk (it was 1 partiton only... No dual boot to Windows) and I installed Windows XP on the entire disk, again 1 partition only. Went through all the graphic driver stuff in XP (it didn't recognize it by default so I had to download graphic drivers for decent resolutions). In short. As soon as Windows XP was on it, I hated it again. Purely a personal opinion but for me there is no logic in a system where you go to "Start" to shutdown a computer... So I wiped it off and began the Mac OS x86 Install again.

So the whole thing started again. I used the patched Release 1 DVD to install Mac OS x86, again 1 partition only. I followed the instructions on the AppleIntel830* files from the Darwin x86 8.01 ISO to try and get Quartz Extreme on a 865G board again. And it worked... Quartz Extreme supported!!! For a while that was... What I think I found out is that restarting is ok... QE will stay supported. Shutting down the PC made the graphics go bezerk. No normal boot. Only the -x option at boot made it go. Whatever I tried. QE never got supported again.

So the next phase was, as I have read before in this specific topic about people switching to XP and back into Mac OS x86 again, make a dual boot Mac OS x86 and Win XP. Most easy way I found on the osx86project forum here was 1) install Mac OS x86 on one partition. 2) Install Win XP on the 2nd partition. 3) With fdisk make the Mac OS x86 partition active 4) Use built-in Darwin Dual boot at startup to choose OS

And yes Quartz Extreme was supported again!!!

What does a Windows XP install on a second partiiton and booting in that and then restarting into Mac OS x86 have to do with the support of Quartz Extreme in Mac OS x86???

Final thing I needed to know was... What happens when shutting the PC down?

Mac OS x86 got scramled graphics again. Only the -x option got me into the OS. So again restarting... this time into Win XP. As soon as it came up, I restarted again and this time no boot options and voila! Quartz Extreme supported again.

I have tried all possible solutions outthere in forums and would never have thought installling Win XP on the 2nd partition and thus making a dual boot would have anything to do with support of Quartz Extreme in Mac OS x86. Apparently it has.

Yes, I have had the same problem and exact solution. And apparently other member also. I think an assumption was posted earlier. Anyway, I haven't found a way around it and until someone does, I guess we just have to bite the bullet.

I have "sorta" solved my own problem by not shutting down the machine at all. Just put it to sleep. There are no ill affects when switching back and forth from XP. Just shutting down the machine for 5 minures, doodle start to happen and then go through the same process again.

PS. I like the word doodle :(

just to let you all know:

all this QE-enabeling "tricks" DO NOT work for Intel Centrino Notebooks with 855GM Chipset and 8285x-Gfxcard (ID in "About this Mac" -> Graphics -> 0x3285.

Sorry, i tried everything, including a clean install with release1 patched dvd an empty hd with only ONE partition on 3 different centrino-notebooks:

asus m2400n

samsung x05

samsung x10

cheerio..dont waste yer time..

Very important thing: TO GET QE U MUST INSTALL DRIVERS FOR YOUR CHIPSET ON WINDOWS (FROM INTEL.COM)!!!

I've installed clean Windows - rebooted and there was a blue screen in MacOS X. After the installation of chipset driver I got it working. Without it your Windows can't change the memory settings in BIOS. Thats the end of the story. Thanks!