[HowTo] Intel 8xx 1280x800 Full Support

meddlingBanter

461 posts in this topic

Hi,

i'm a italian osx86 user, excuse for my bad english!

I have a asus s-presso with intel extreme graphics 865, i have install native 10.4.3 osx86, it's a powerfull machine, but don't run kext files, the screen is scratched 1024x768 (i have a 19"), the 16 page don't resolve the problem with this chipset.

Have you news? in internet i don't found nothing.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I have a asus s-presso with intel extreme graphics 865, i have install native 10.4.3 osx86, it's a powerfull machine, but don't run kext files, the screen is scratched 1024x768 (i have a 19"), the 16 page don't resolve the problem with this chipset.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!

If you want QE/CI/Full resolution support on 830/845/852/855/865 chipsets. . . you're going to have to install 10.4.1, but it's worth it.

OK lets recap,

Like some others here, I have a Dell 700m and am in the same situation as most of the people reading this topic. However, As an avid reader of these forums, I''m getting pretty frustrated with individuals who refuse to simply use the search button or even post their problem in the right forums.

Make things easier on the mods and post constructive comments, and thoughts. This topic alone is 16 pages with 50% of it repeated information.

10.4.3 and 10.4.4 as of this moment do NOT support these chipsets. Meaning no one has gotten Quartz support and/ or 1280x800 resolution. Suuport of these chipsets was REMOVED from these releases. There still is hope but as of Febuary 21st 2006. The posted solutions either didnt work on the latest (10.4.3 and up) or didnt work once they were scrutinized.

(My assumption is that) Apple removed excess support for hardware not in the new Mactels (GAH, i hate that name).

As New001 said, If you want QE/CI/Full resolution support on 830/845/852/855/865 chipsets. . . you're going to have to install 10.4.1, but it's worth it.

ideas anyone?

Straylight

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 series

P4, 512 Mb RAM

Intel Extreme 845 Chipset

I've run OSX on this setup before, but since I updated reinstalled windows it runs in black and white at 800x600, i've used almost every tutorial that covers this topic, you know the drill;

AppleIntel830.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

change device ID 0x04058680 or whatever it is,

sudo su, root:wheel, all that fancy stuff, but still nothing.

Do I just re-install? It'll be a pain cause I don't have the 4 gig iso, er... I can't find my installation disk. :dev:

Is there a bios I could flash that is known to fix this?

I don't know why I want this to run so bad- I think it's just fun to experiment with it... Kinda like the hours I put into Vista- hey at least I'm not out building specific systems for this- :-D :D

I just want color!

If you want QE/CI/Full resolution support on 830/845/852/855/865 chipsets. . . you're going to have to install 10.4.1, but it's worth it.

Thanks a lot.

Difference? 10.4.3 vs. 10.4.1 ??

Stability is ok on 10.4.1?, because on my pc 10.4.3 is a very fast with very best performance!!

Thanks for consideration.

excuse for my bad english

Bye

FOR Maxxuss NOTHING :)

10.4.3 is when Rosetta started emulating PPC chips with an Altivec instruction set. Without that Rosetta, some "legacy" apps (nearly everything for a Mac is legacy if not available in Universal Binary) won't always work.

You take a performance hit with 10.4.3, and certain drivers don't support hardware anymore. Since 10.4.3 is a developer release, there's no real hope of getting it to work better.

10.4.4 is a RETAIL release, therefore there will be patches, updates, fixes, drivers, etc. - but you'll either have to "yo-ho" those yourself or hope that the ones given away with Darwin 8.01 (and later) will do the job.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 series

P4, 512 Mb RAM

Intel Extreme 845 Chipset

I've run OSX on this setup before, but since I updated reinstalled windows it runs in black and white at 800x600, i've used almost every tutorial that covers this topic, you know the drill;

AppleIntel830.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

change device ID 0x04058680 or whatever it is,

sudo su, root:wheel, all that fancy stuff, but still nothing.

Do I just re-install? It'll be a pain cause I don't have the 4 gig iso, er... I can't find my installation disk. :angry:

Is there a bios I could flash that is known to fix this?

I don't know why I want this to run so bad- I think it's just fun to experiment with it... Kinda like the hours I put into Vista- hey at least I'm not out building specific systems for this- :-D :P

I just want color!

because the 845g device id is 0x2562 not x0405?

10.4.3 is when Rosetta started emulating PPC chips with an Altivec instruction set. Without that Rosetta, some "legacy" apps (nearly everything for a Mac is legacy if not available in Universal Binary) won't always work.

You take a performance hit with 10.4.3, and certain drivers don't support hardware anymore. Since 10.4.3 is a developer release, there's no real hope of getting it to work better.

10.4.4 is a RETAIL release, therefore there will be patches, updates, fixes, drivers, etc. - but you'll either have to "yo-ho" those yourself or hope that the ones given away with Darwin 8.01 (and later) will do the job.

Thanks i hope every day!

Mac is the best operating system of the world (oops excuse for Linux Users :( please me Giosquad iksnet.it member)

for 10.4.1.

I did this and it worked perfectly. though u may have to reboot from windows.

For 855GM Intel chipsets modify the Info.plist of the following

AppleIntel830.kext -> Info.plist Change the 0x25828086 to 0x35828086 in the 915 portion Remove the 0x35828086 from the 830 portion

AppleIntel830.kext -> Info.plist Change the 0x25828086 to 0x35828086 in the 915 portion

AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext -> Info.plist Change the 0x25828086 to 0x35828086

IT DOESN'T WORK ON 10.4.3/4/5

Sorry for the caps. If you are in fact using 10.4.1, you have to chown them for them to work

sudo chown root:wheel system/library/extensions/appleintelintegratedgraphics.kext

also, check to make sure you have the right IDs, you can get them in the apple system profiler. what card are you using? if it's an 865G then PM me and i'll point you to some premade kexts. Can't post em on the forum or apple legal will kill my dog!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Hey

Open com.apple.boot.plist in library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration with text edit and add this line

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

under these

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

and save, repair permission and reboot

(Perhaps you'll have to copy the original on desktop, modify and replace the original with your password

ps: save your original somewhere just in case

It works on 10.4.5 but without QE argh...

Goodluck

I keep getting an error that says:

Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA. You will need to configure your guest operating system to use DMA when communicating with DVD/CD-ROM devices.

Note that some operating systems will report DMA is available without actually using it. In those cases, normal CD-ROM operations will still be available, but special features will only be available if you reconfigure the virtual device as a SCSI device.

What should I do?

I was just able to get full 1280x800 resolution working on my laptop which uses the 830M/845G/852GM/855GM/865G Intel Integrated Graphics.

What you need:

I've heard these files are on the Devel disc and they are also located in /System/Library/Extensions. Some may have had to delete these files in safe mode just to get OS X booted normally like I did, so instead of deleting them I just saved them to the desktop. Anyway once you have them copy both kext files to /System/Library/Extensions. Located in each kext file (right click Show Package Contents) is a file called info.plist. In each plist file go to the line that looks like this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

Below that replace whats in between <string></string> with 0x35828086. You should only have to replace the first four digits in the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext file and then in the AppleInte830.kext file just delete the other two 8 digit hex numbers located within <string></string>. One thing that should be noted, the four digits that you replace should correspond to your Graphics Card's Device ID. You cand find this number by going to Apple>About This Mac>More Info>Graphics/Displays. After your're done editing the two files save them and do a sudo chmod -R 755 and sudo chown -R root:wheel on both kext files. I'm not sure if it matters but I deleted all other files that started with AppleIntel. I'll try it later with those files in the Extensions directory. Anyway, once you're done just reboot and you should be running 1280x800. Adding the Graphics Mode boot option shouldn't be needed.

I had this working in 10.4.1. In fact I have done this several times, but I can't get it working on my Dell 700m in 10.4.3. Mac OS is not loading the kext for the IntelIntergratedGraphics. I have ran chown and chmod with no luck at all. Anybody feel like sending me their already modded kext to see if it works?.

I was just able to get full 1280x800 resolution working on my laptop which uses the 830M/845G/852GM/855GM/865G Intel Integrated Graphics.

What you need:

I've heard these files are on the Devel disc and they are also located in /System/Library/Extensions. Some may have had to delete these files in safe mode just to get OS X booted normally like I did, so instead of deleting them I just saved them to the desktop. Anyway once you have them copy both kext files to /System/Library/Extensions. Located in each kext file (right click Show Package Contents) is a file called info.plist. In each plist file go to the line that looks like this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

Below that replace whats in between <string></string> with 0x35828086. You should only have to replace the first four digits in the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext file and then in the AppleInte830.kext file just delete the other two 8 digit hex numbers located within <string></string>. One thing that should be noted, the four digits that you replace should correspond to your Graphics Card's Device ID. You cand find this number by going to Apple>About This Mac>More Info>Graphics/Displays. After your're done editing the two files save them and do a sudo chmod -R 755 and sudo chown -R root:wheel on both kext files. I'm not sure if it matters but I deleted all other files that started with AppleIntel. I'll try it later with those files in the Extensions directory. Anyway, once you're done just reboot and you should be running 1280x800. Adding the Graphics Mode boot option shouldn't be needed.

I had this working in 10.4.1. In fact I have done this several times, but I can't get it working on my Dell 700m in 10.4.3. Mac OS is not loading the kext for the IntelIntergratedGraphics. I have ran chown and chmod with no luck at all. Anybody feel like sending me their already modded kext to see if it works?.

Are u retarded, it has been posted atleast a million times, this fix DOESNOT work 10.4.3 and higher.

Search the forums, read the thread. Seriously why do i even bother with ppl like u!!!!

On this page greythehacker45 has posted this

IT DOESN'T WORK ON 10.4.3/4/5

Sorry for the caps. If you are in fact using 10.4.1, you have to chown them for them to work

sudo chown root:wheel system/library/extensions/appleintelintegratedgraphics.kext

also, check to make sure you have the right IDs, you can get them in the apple system profiler. what card are you using? if it's an 865G then PM me and i'll point you to some premade kexts. Can't post em on the forum or apple legal will kill my dog!

so very many pages in here... so sorry for asking again:

is there anyone who has QE enabled on an i855gm with 10.4.1? i have an acer travelmate 661lm and with editing the appleintegrated i could easily make 1400*1050, but no QE support, i even tried everything mentioned in here, from the darwin files to using the 915kext... it seems also that no other file than the integreated one ever loads, no matter if i put the 3582 in there or not

so if anyone knows EXACTLY what to do or has it working, please give me the description or pm me with your helping files! :2cents:

thanks!

The fix for 10.4.1 ONLY

For 855GM Intel chipsets (Dell 700m has this for integrated video), you can modify the Info.plist of the to make it work properly

AppleIntel830.kext -> Info.plist Change the 0x25828086 to 0x35828086 in the 915 portion Remove the 0x35828086 from the 830 portion

AppleIntel830.kext -> Info.plist Change the 0x25828086 to 0x35828086 in the 915 portion

AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext -> Info.plist Change the 0x25828086 to 0x35828086

NOTE I have 855GM so my device ID was 35828086. Urs may be same if u have a 855GM. But will probably be different. SO check in system profiler or in windows.

Also to edit the plists you will need to login as root and change them. For that goto terminal and type "sudo passwd root". It will ask u for ur password and then for a new root password.

Logout and login as root. Now browse to the extensions folder, open the above kexts by rightclicking and show package contents. Now open the Info.plist using textedit and make the changes.

Now goto diskutility, repair ur permissions and reboot.

As for getting QE2D to work on a 855/865GME chipset in 10.4.1, there are additional .kexts that are needed to enable support. However, they are VERY unstable and will crash your install with great speed (no pun intended). I did manage to have full OpenGL and QE working for a while, but have no idea what I did to break it. (repeated kernel panics and garbage display.) In order to get back to a usable system, I had to boot in safe mode (-x on boot options) and remove the offending .kext files.

I can tell you from the time that I did have it running, everything was lightning quick but with minor issues. Quicktime videos would appear pink and other artifacts, some full screen OpenGL games would crash on a blank screen.

I would name off the .kext files, but not sure if thats kosher due to big brother watching these days.

Try a warm boot lazer, I mean boot into windows then reboot to mac. Many graphic cards get RAM allocated to them when they boot into windows. If u boot straight into OSX not enough RAM is allocated to them