[HowTo] Intel 8xx 1280x800 Full Support

meddlingBanter

461 posts in this topic

Hi...

First off...I have searched and google'd....but can't locate the proper kext files for my system.

Perhaps somebody would be so kind as to PM me?

I have a Dell GX270 with 10.4.3 8F1111 Wesley DVD installed.

Intel 865 chipset and am only currently able to do 1024x768 which just blows chunks.

I have read several pages on this thread and believe (according to Jas and others)...I should be able to get higher res. and (this is where I am a little confused) perhaps QE....Or does QE only work for 10.4.1?

I have AppleIntel915.kext but can't find anywhere the AppleIntel830.kext (which I believe is needed)?

Sorry for being clueless...but I did search and have read several pages in this thread...only to still be confused.

OK...follow up post. SORRY FOR ASKING THE SAME QUESTION EVERYONE ELSE HAS BEEN ASKING ABOVE!

I went back and read all 17 pages (as of today)...I see 10.4.3/4/5 don't do Intel 865 beyond 1024x768x32bit with QE 2D. FINE and UNDERSTOOD :-D

Can anyone confirm this guys tip works? I didn't see any direct response confirming or not, that his edit takes the 865 video beyond 1024x768 res.

lomoseb post Mar 13 2006, 06:29 PM

Going to try....

Also...why is none of the versions and video card specific stuff in the Wiki? Just wondering.

Thanks Fellas!

I can confirm that editing com.apple.Boot.plist as mentioned on page 16 of this thread by "lomoseb post Mar 13 2006, 06:29 PM" works! Again...no QE...but at least you can get 1280x1024x32bit....on my 18" Flat Panel it looks a lot better than 1024x768!

I can confirm that editing com.apple.Boot.plist as mentioned on page 16 of this thread by "lomoseb post Mar 13 2006, 06:29 PM" works! Again...no QE...but at least you can get 1280x1024x32bit....on my 18" Flat Panel it looks a lot better than 1024x768!

on 10.4.5? im on a 855 chipset

Look up tghree posts...I am running 10.4.3 although lomoseb was running 10.4.4 or .5...see his post a page back. This only gets you a res bump...no performance at all...it does take some of the fuzzyness out of the display though found at 1024x768...

Hi all,

Why does 10.4.5 ?video only show my notebook doing 640x480 & 800x600?

And while 10.4.1 works ok (video wise), this version is so unstable running universal/rosetta programs it's useless now, at least 10.4.5 runs everything I've thrown at it.

The native res is on my notebook (JVC XV841) 1024x600 and works in all other OS's (Win/Linux/Zeta) just not in OSX.

Even if I put it in the com.apple.Boot.plist it still reverts to 800x600 max.

Does anyone have a link or where to get the Darwin cd/dvd or even the source code for the 810/830/855 driver for 10.4.x so I can re-code it for my resolution.

Thx.

Wom.

Hi all,

Why does 10.4.5 ?video only show my notebook doing 640x480 & 800x600?

And while 10.4.1 works ok (video wise), this version is so unstable running universal/rosetta programs it's useless now, at least 10.4.5 runs everything I've thrown at it.

The native res is on my notebook (JVC XV841) 1024x600 and works in all other OS's (Win/Linux/Zeta) just not in OSX.

Even if I put it in the com.apple.Boot.plist it still reverts to 800x600 max.

Does anyone have a link or where to get the Darwin cd/dvd or even the source code for the 810/830/855 driver for 10.4.x so I can re-code it for my resolution.

Thx.

Wom.

The AppleIntel830 drivers are not Open-Source, they only work on 10.4.1 so far.

:)

Could someone please do me a huge favour and post a link to the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.text or send me a Private Message with the link, or I can reply to you with my email address and you could email it to me as an attatchment, cheers.

P.S. Already have the *830 files, thanks.

P.P.S. Don't worry about editing the file for me, I can do that myself for my 855GM graphics.

alright, i have been working on getting OSX to run and im almost there! Im posting from my HP DV1000 right now, even got wireless internet!

Little about the computer:

1.6gz Pentium M

512 Ram

v. 10.4.5

Intel Integrated Graphics - Graphics Extreme 2

In windows it says 82852/82855 GM/GME

In Vesa, when OSX loads it says 852/855 GM/GME 32mb ram

So i have a widescreen monitor, its resolution is 1280x768.

Id really like to get this going, but the only resolution i have is 1024x768.

I have read that some have had success using files from 10.4.1 and 10.4.3. I dont have access to these files so if i need them, can someone direct me to a place to get them?

The only kext file i have is the appleintel915 and appleintel915ga but no 830's etc.

Am i right in assuming that those are the ones I need? ALl i want is this one resolution, so even if there is a way to get it done manually, ill go that route.

I have read that you can use a command and boot with a certain mode but at least i am assuming that i still need to have the right driver to get this to work.

Can someone please help me? I really really would like to get this widescreen display to show with out all this distortion, everything looks all fat!

Thanks in advance!

alright, i have been working on getting OSX to run and im almost there! Im posting from my HP DV1000 right now, even got wireless internet!

Little about the computer:

1.6gz Pentium M

512 Ram

v. 10.4.5

Intel Integrated Graphics - Graphics Extreme 2

In windows it says 82852/82855 GM/GME

In Vesa, when OSX loads it says 852/855 GM/GME 32mb ram

So i have a widescreen monitor, its resolution is 1280x768.

Id really like to get this going, but the only resolution i have is 1024x768.

I have read that some have had success using files from 10.4.1 and 10.4.3. I dont have access to these files so if i need them, can someone direct me to a place to get them?

The only kext file i have is the appleintel915 and appleintel915ga but no 830's etc.

Am i right in assuming that those are the ones I need? ALl i want is this one resolution, so even if there is a way to get it done manually, ill go that route.

I have read that you can use a command and boot with a certain mode but at least i am assuming that i still need to have the right driver to get this to work.

Can someone please help me? I really really would like to get this widescreen display to show with out all this distortion, everything looks all fat!

Thanks in advance!

I HAVE THE SAME COMPUTER mines is a 1150us 1.5 dv1000 series laptop and im searching for the same thing.

how did you manage to get wireless working? diffrent minipci wifi? or usb?

you know whats cool about our laptops is the included remote control works with media center and front row

i have tried the 830 kexts and nothing happens any resolution under 1024x768 work nothing above it..

i have asked and searched to see if i can manually set the paramters etc. with no luck

on finding how to-i looked over kexts and found one i think is the appleintegratedvideo.kext it gives you

access to width-brightness etc-i changed them with some info i found on the web but noithing happened

i even tried to transfer my color settings from a 4.1 installation over to 4.5 so that i can at least have a decent looking vibrant color lcd and i dont know how to-lets help each other out if you find any info let me know-im me

OK here is the final after days of trying to get this worked out.

855 works ONLY in 10.4.1

getting the appleintel830 and appleintelintegratedgraphics kexts and trying to load them into a newer version throws an error.

so for those with 10.4.4/5 you are out of luck until someone writes a new working driver.

so for those with 10.4.4/5 you are out of luck until someone writes a new working driver.

I would really like to help out here. I've been insanely busy with work but things are starting to slow down. I'm pretty handy with a compiler but still learning drivers (et al) under OS X. I have some questions that might sort things out for me:

1. Why don't the 10.4.1 kexts work in 10.4.5? Seriously, is it because:

a. The kernel in 10.4.5 doesn't support the hooks that 10.4.1 did (ie narrowing down the hardware support)?

b. A simple version compatibility problem? (ie 10.4.5's kernel is looking for a newer version # of the kexts and spits it back out?)

c. Apple is systematically removing support for hardware they don't have on shipping products?

It seemed like in 10.4.1 they supported a broad base of Intel hardware. Networking, graphics, power management, and more worked just fine under 10.4.1. With each revision less and less of that hardware seems to be supported at all. I'm not criticizing Apple, I'm just trying to understand what they have done.

Obvisously the hardware that was supported in 10.4.1 should be able to run under 10.4.5. If its just a matter of recompiling I wouldn't that that should be a big deal.

2 Is the source code for the Intel kexts apart of Darwin or are they held by Apple?

3. For those of you who have put the 10.4.1 kexts (830 et al) in 10.4.5, what does OS X say when you try to load them? Can you kextload them in OS X?

Thanks for putting up with my questions,

-P

while looking around my 4.6 installation i stumbled over a display folder

i looked at every plist file and notice that we may be able to get

resolution working byt editing those files with proper values..what i mean is when i edited the display device name-and changed it to "widescreen hd" under system profiler-graphics card it no longer said

generic-there are some values on the plist files that i will probably odify with the same output as the 4.1 ones to see if im able to get resolution working-i will keep you posted to see what im able t oaccomplish-

• 3 weeks later...

if you want support of your graphics card your pretty much {censored} outta luck for now

thus far no one has loaded a kext (or applespeak for driver) for any intel graphics chipset below a 915GM on anything above 10.4.1

well if they have they need to come foreward NOW! haha

but your in luck if you have 4:3 aspect ratio monitor

if you want to see a bit of a better resolution

when you boot up in darwin take a loot at all the text. right next to where it says intel 82845GM or whatever it will say one of these two things VESA 2.0 or VESA 3.0, its important remember it.

now go to

com.apple.bootlog.plist. copy it to your desktop open it in text editor and you will see something like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

</dict>

</plist>[/font]

if you have vesa 3.0 insert this above the timeout line

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32@60</string>

if it says VESA 2.0 leave the refresh rate out of your graphics mode setup like so

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

edit those as you wish i have it set up at

1280x1024 Pixels *must be a 4:3 multiple*

32bit color

60hz refresh rate

replace the original with your modified plist and then go to disk utility and select your disk press the button repair disk permissions.

that should help, now reboot into Os X.

i have a widescreen so i have yet to try this but let me know if it works

• 3 weeks later...

Could some one tell me.

I've read this thread and I found these files on mine. (look attached picture)

I use spotlight with "appleintel" keyword on both folder

focus on 915 , GMA950 , 8255x

what are these files for each?

could 8255x be the kext for 82855 graphic chip ?

the second windows have couple each files, ppc and i386.

can I do any thing with these files to get my 855GME on 10.4.6 work better?

now I only get 1024*768*32@60 hardware mirror display no QE

anybody have an idea why 855/865 QE/QE2D dont work in 10.4.3-6?

i have tried to use kext from 10.4.1 on 10.4.5 but it dont work, any idea what other file are used and need to be edited for having again QE?

*do QE workon 845 with 10.4.1?

• 2 weeks later...