[HowTo] Intel 8xx 1280x800 Full Support

meddlingBanter

461 posts in this topic

yeah i did get QE working once or twice, but i can never seem to keep hold of it <_<

it seems to take me hours of fiddling to get it working, then all my hard work goes down the drain when i just simply reboot.

i have 3360 bios, but i wouldnt know how to upgrade from 2xxx, Intels site doesnt seem to have any info about that.

YES!

Just got QE working on my intel extreme 2.

I took the above hint and took the appleintel830 files from darwin 8.01 and added them to my extensions folder here.

chmod em, wheel em, rebooted.

GOOD TO F**CKIN GO!

Worked like a freaking charm. Made my night

YES!

Just got QE working on my intel extreme 2.

I took the above hint and took the appleintel830 files from darwin 8.01 and added them to my extensions folder here.

chmod em, wheel em, rebooted.

GOOD TO F**CKIN GO!

Worked like a freaking charm. Made my night

What dev ID has your intel grahics 2? is that the 0x2572?

If true can you maybe atach the darwin files. Is that all you did? No editing of files?

i have no idea why it works and why sometimes it doesnt work, but just keep trying because it is possible.

my advice is to start with all new files and edit only AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext (this is for 855GME, 0x3582)

then do the chmod/chown commands

also delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

then restart and use the -F command to boot.

What dev ID has your intel grahics 2? is that the 0x2572?

If true can you maybe atach the darwin files. Is that all you did? No editing of files?

Yes, its the 2572. I removed all the AppleIntel files except the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext.

Inside that kext, I edited the info.plist file to recognize my device ID.

After that, I took all the AppleIntel830 files from the Darwin 8.01 ISO, then added them to the Extensions folder.

Chmoded em, wheeled, rebooted, and I now im running 1280x1024x32@75 with QE enabled.

Cripes this isnt working for some reason.

Email me if you need the AppleIntel830 files of the Darwin iso.

Joelogic@gmail.com, or hit me up on aim joelogic81

Sorry for this flood of {censored}

The procedure outlined here works for me (ie, deleting the AppleIntel830, replacing with renamed AppleIntel915, chmod/chown). I've a HP DV1000 with 855GM. Also, this takes away the need for me to boot into safe mode (-x), however, the log on screen is by-passed, and the desktop is immediately displayed. Also, the sound works fine, yet it isn't recognized in the system properties app.

Yes, its the 2572. I removed all the AppleIntel files except the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext.

Inside that kext, I edited the info.plist file to recognize my device ID.

After that, I took all the AppleIntel830 files from the Darwin 8.01 ISO, then added them to the Extensions folder.

Chmoded em, wheeled, rebooted, and I now im running 1280x1024x32@75 with QE enabled.

Hi thanks for your little manual ;-)

Tried it, but i was not so lucky <_< i did like you said.

Removed AI the files except aiig.kext.

Edited 1 line with 2582 to 2572.

With the mouse i moved only the 830 files from the darwin iso to the extension dir.

tiger complained here, but i clicked "AUTH" gave the root psw and he moed it anyway.

did the sudo chmod -R 755 AppleInte*

did the sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleInte*

it gave no errors, so i think everything went just fine. Then sudo reboot.

And al i see is booting a grey apple screen and 30 secs later i see a light blue screen. Even if i boot with -x i get the same result :)

I changed my bios to 6600gt output again so i can boot again. But i am afraid its a no go on my pc and i have to reinstall :(

It seems that that all the 2572's are the same :(

I have Quartz Extreme working at all resolutions simply by systematically changing the <string>0xXXXX8086</string> to <string>0x25728086</string> in the Info.plist of IntelIntegrated-Intel830-Intel915 kext as well as the Intel830GA and Intel915GA plugins.

Then all kext are loaded in the kernel.

All resolutions are visible in the Display prefpanes + QE is supported.

Although the Intel915 is loaded, it doesn't seem to be used and could eventually be trashed.

Quartz Extreme on Macs is not supported if the the Video memory is lower than 16 Mo. So be sure to put at least 16 Mo (preferably 32 Mo) in the Bios for Intel Extreme 2 Graphic.

Cheers.

Quartz Extreme on Macs is not supported if the the Video memory is lower than 16 Mo. So be sure to put at least 16 Mo (preferably 32 Mo) in the Bios for Intel Extreme 2 Graphic.

Cheers.

Not true. My Intel Extreme 2 onboard will only let me put it at an 8mb buffer in bios, and QE works for me.

WOW, if you havent reinstalled yet...

Could you try booting with -v, and see if anything out of the ordinary comes up, or if it hangs?

p.s.

here;s my display from about this mac

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: Built-In

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2572

Revision ID: 0x0002

Displays:

DELL 1905FP:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

You know what you're saying reminds me of something i read a few days ago about coregraphics taking a {censored} if the device ID is different on the 830 kext and the integrated graphics kext when the GA and GL files are in there as well

one last thing I would try, once you paste the 830 files from darwin, make sure that both the 830kext and the integratedgraphics kext have the 2572 id.

:UPDATE:

I just checked darwins 830 kext,

heres the line

<string>0x25628086 0x25728086 0x35828086</string>

Not sure if it matters, but try taking out those other two strings and just leave the 2572 there.

Hi I got the same problem with you...screens with weird rectangles shown in your screenshot.

I'm using a 855GME graphics ASUS laptop,

and I applied the Maxxuss patch prior to the kext adjustments.

(I don't think that the patch has anything to do with this problem)

I found a temporary solution for this mess...first boot in -x safe mode, (You don't have to login)

and just click restart, and just boot in normal mode.

kexts are loaded fine, and my QE is also working.

It is quite annoying to boot in safe mode first everytime, but at least it works;

Has anyone found a complete solution for this problem?

(nadnerb, you can get those unedited kexts from your Darwin 8.01 disk...

If you don't have one, gimme a mail:) I'll send you the files.)

thanks, i have those files now.

yeah its not the maxxuss patch like i orginally thought, i've now had this problem on a fresh install before i even applied the patch so its definitely not that.

i thought it was something to do with the kext cache files, but now 2 people say simply rebooting a few times fixes the problem.

im stumped

ok everyone as you know we are all working on this and this is a dev system so there will be changes and updates to how we get things working ..

and thats what ive done

i reinstalled (dd'ed) the image and started fresh

when i first tried to boot i get the squares and all so what you do is

just reboot it with the options -v -f afew times till it catches the files correctly

it will.give it afew tries

once you get into the o/s go to about this mac--> more info --> Graphics/displays

if it caught the kext correctly you should have QE already but cant change the rez and refresh

if you dont have QE Supported try this

get the appleintel830.kext from /system/library/extensions and drop it in our desktop so you can work on it.right click on it and do show package contents

right click on the info.plist and open with --> other and browse to textedit and open the file

look for this<string>AppleIntel830GLDriver</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOAccelerator</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x25728086</string>

and edit the line <string>0x25728086</string> to your device id you can get your device id from the system profiler

then do

code

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel830.kext/

then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel830.kext/

get the appleintelintegratedgraphics.kext and put it in your desktop

right click on it and do show package contents

right click on the info.plist and open with --> other and browse to textedit and open the file

look for this <string>AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics</string>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>IOFramebuffer</string>

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x25728086</string>

and edit the line <string>0x25728086</string> to your device id you can get your device id from the system profiler

then do

code

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext/

then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext/

and reboot and you shoulld be able to change screen rez and refresh rate and also have QE Support

(a sidenote it is no longer necessary to copy the appleintel915 driver and rename it to appleintel830 and replace the original one with this method)

JoeLogic: i already also made that changes in the <string>0x25628086 0x25728086 0x35828086</string> but no luck

i tried once with -V but i runs so quick i can hardly see what it says and pause want work :-)

After that i gets light blue, no text or something. And the hd runs another minute but nothing happens anymore.

i will try to set the old files back (there are on my desktop now) and see or it start up again.

Do you think i have to chmod en chown them again ?

YES, I did it (again? ;-) )!

Acer Travelmate 4050 BIOS ver. 1.70A, Pentium M 1.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB 5400 rpm HDD, Intel 855 GME VGA (BIOS ver. 3104) - with 1024x768 resolution Quarz Extreme WORKS (in /System/Library/Extensions: AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext (changed 2582 to 3582) and only AppleIntel830* from Darwin), but only in case when i rebooting from Windows XP. Not on "power on" boot. Maybe Intel 855 VGA drivers for Windows load firmware as a Intel Wi-Fi 2200? Someone can check this? Who can fix this trouble? ;-)

M.

post-234-1125139131_thumb.jpg

JoeLogic: i already also made that changes in the <string>0x25628086 0x25728086 0x35828086</string> but no luck

i tried once with -V but i runs so quick i can hardly see what it says and pause want work :-)

After that i gets light blue, no text or something. And the hd runs another minute but nothing happens anymore.

i will try to set the old files back (there are on my desktop now) and see or it start up again.

Do you think i have to chmod en chown them again ?

ive noticed that once you get it going if it craps out the only way ive been able to get it going again is a fresh dd

I ve been using my DELL 700M with Quartz extreme for 4 days now. No problem beside the green artifact in Quicktime, (Solution: just use iTune to play video clip)

What i don't understand is, Why people don't follow simple instruction to enable QE on their 855GM 35828086. It's not that hard.

I would recommend everyone to read the Unix Guide before working on anything to do with MacOSX86.

Anyhow here my copy of AppleInt* for the last time. This work on 855GM 35828086. If you don't have this card please find another solutions.

Cheers

Removed for DMCA violation.

ive noticed that once you get it going if it craps out the only way ive been able to get it going again is a fresh dd

Yea, perhaps thats best at this point WOW. DD again and try JaS' method listed above and let us know.

Not true. My Intel Extreme 2 onboard will only let me put it at an 8mb buffer in bios, and QE works for me.

Interesting. If I put the video mem at 8 Mb in the BIOS, I get QE but only one possible resolution, i. e., 1024x768.

I get multiresolution choice if I put at least 16 Mb.

Anyway. still have to find the trick for CoreGraphics.

Cheers