[HowTo] Intel 8xx 1280x800 Full Support

meddlingBanter

461 posts in this topic

Interesting. If I put the video mem at 8 Mb in the BIOS, I get QE but only one possible resolution, i. e., 1024x768.

I get multiresolution choice if I put at least 16 Mb.

Anyway. still have to find the trick for CoreGraphics.

Cheers

You know, this is interesting though. My Bios will only allow my buffer to go up to 8mb.

Is there a way I can increase that? Perhaps a bios upgrade? I have a Intel Extreme 2 865 chipset.

Ok guys, I've got something odd to report. I'm not completely certain what just happened, but I'm back, so that's good.

I just tried restarting, and osx booted into a heavily garbled, and messed up screen.

I restarted in safe mode, which let me in, but QE was no longer supported when I checked my display settings.

Restarting in anything but safe mode hosed me.

So while in safe mode, I took the three 830 files off the darwin iso and added them to the extensions folder (despite them already being there), chmod-ed em, wheeled em, and restarted.

Everythings back to normal now.

Not to odd, right?

Well here's the odd part.

between my last restart, and the restart that hosed everything, I attempted to do one thing, and one thing alone: access the Accounts menu from system preferences.

It would not load, it would just sit there. I gave up, and had planned to restart in safe mode to see if i could access the menu. Well, i forgot to -x, so i booted regular. When it came up, display was hosed.

I can access the accounts menu in safe mode, im not going to try to do it again in normal mode hehe. I have no idea why the hell those two would be related, or if they even are at all, but yea. It just happened.

If they aren't related, theres something going on, maybe osx checking files and auto changing {censored} or something, not sure, because I'm totally sure that accessing that account menu was the literally the only action i did between the good to hosed restart.

frickin wierd

Ok guys, I've got something odd to report. I'm not completely certain what just happened, but I'm back, so that's good.

I just tried restarting, and osx booted into a heavily garbled, and messed up screen.

I restarted in safe mode, which let me in, but QE was no longer supported when I checked my display settings.

Restarting in anything but safe mode hosed me.

So while in safe mode, I took the three 830 files off the darwin iso and added them to the extensions folder (despite them already being there), chmod-ed em, wheeled em, and restarted.

Everythings back to normal now.

Not to odd, right?

Well here's the odd part.

between my last restart, and the restart that hosed everything, I attempted to do one thing, and one thing alone: access the Accounts menu from system preferences.

It would not load, it would just sit there. I gave up, and had planned to restart in safe mode to see if i could access the menu. Well, i forgot to -x, so i booted regular. When it came up, display was hosed.

I can access the accounts menu in safe mode, im not going to try to do it again in normal mode hehe. I have no idea why the hell those two would be related, or if they even are at all, but yea. It just happened.

If they aren't related, theres something going on, maybe osx checking files and auto changing {censored} or something, not sure, because I'm totally sure that accessing that account menu was the literally the only action i did between the good to hosed restart.

frickin wierd

thats a bug cos the same thing happened here when i went into user accounts but i didnt even think of it till i read your postand took me 35 min of trying diffrent boot peramiters to get back up in the end it took

Boot: -s -v -f -F -A PLATFORM=TESTPC

anyway after all that i want to post a pic :)

Yea, perhaps thats best at this point WOW. DD again and try JaS' method listed above and let us know.

Did a fresh DD with the intel onboard active and it sees my 0x2572 so without any patching i have QE :P

I hope it stays this time, apperently it looks the first time wich card is active and freezes that in memory. Doenst matter how many times you change the bios, i guess.

But i am supprised how much QE makes a difference in speed. Itsn night and day with my 6600GT (non QE)

btw mpg crash but .mov plays smooth only the color is pink/green was that the effect of the sse2 cpu or did the maxxuss patching didnt succeed. I learned so many thing the last days that i lost it :)

thats a bug cos the same thing happened here when i went into user accounts but i didnt even think of it till i read your postand took me 35 min of trying diffrent boot peramiters to get back up in the end it took

Could be related to permissions?

There is something that everybody should do right after the dd: repair permissions.

Launch Disk Utility, choose your disk and click on "repair Disk permissions". That will fix all permissions, including the kexts. Actually if you do that after modifying the kext, there is no need to chown/chmod the modified kexts.

Another trick is to "optimize the system". It is usually done after an installation. So it's a good idea to install a soft (let's say iTune 4.9) so that the system get optimized.

Cheers

There is something that everybody should do right after the dd: repair permissions.

Launch Disk Utility, choose your disk and click on "repair Disk permissions". That will fix all permissions, including the kexts. Actually if you do that after modifying the kext, there is no need to chown/chmod the modified kexts.

Another trick is to "optimize the system". It is usually done after an installation. So it's a good idea to install a soft (let's say iTune 4.9) so that the system get optimized.

Cheers

If it is a permissions issue, repairing the permissions doesnt fix it, thats one of the first things I ran heh.

PLEASE DO repair the permissions on the image when you load it. It repairs an insane amount of {censored}, and does help.

Im going to assume loading accounts in safe mode is ok, so if you need to go in there, I guess do it in safe mode lest you hose your system like JaS and I did.

Cheers

yep i always repair the premissions after i install but thats a good tip for the n00bs

Did a fresh DD with the intel onboard active and it sees my 0x2572 so without any patching i have QE  :)

I hope it stays this time, apperently it looks the first time wich card is active and freezes that in memory. Doenst matter how many times you change the bios, i guess.

But i am supprised how much QE makes a difference in speed. Itsn night and day with my 6600GT (non QE)

btw mpg crash but .mov plays smooth only the color is pink/green was that the effect of the sse2 cpu or did the maxxuss patching didnt succeed. I learned so many thing the last days that i lost it  ;)

%^$$####

It worked for just 1 day !!

Today i logged in and got a grey applescreen and it stops just before loading mac osx

Only thing that works is -x but then i loose QE and sound. I'm not gone install it for the sixth time. I havent got a clue what goes on here.

:angry::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I am very sad now and i give up. Its just or he modify itself from working to not working. But why and how?

What i don't understand is, Why people don't follow simple instruction to enable QE on their 855GM 35828086. It's not that hard.

Hi,

I know that QE works with my hardware (35828086), because I had it working a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I trashed that install and haven't been successfull in getting QE back. I've tried manually editing the kext files appropriately and also tried using the ones that have been kindly provided on the forums... but still no joy.

goldenarowana, even using your files results in the same issue when loading the AppleIntel830.kext :

kextload -t /System/Library/Extentions/AppleIntel830.kext
Validation failures
{
   "Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleIdentifier does not match executable's MODULE_NAME" = true
}

without the -t switch just results in the useful:

tiger-x86:~ root# kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel830.kext/
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel830.kext/ is already loaded

kextstat show both Integrated and 830 loaded

54    0 0xdf0fe000 0xa000     0x9000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics (2.0.0) <53 11>
  69    0 0xdf1e8000 0x21000    0x20000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntel830 (4.0.0) <64 53 16 11>

Any ideas on much appreciated.

(goldenarowana @ Aug 27 2005, 02:40 PM)

What i don't understand is, Why people don't follow simple instruction to enable QE on their 855GM 35828086. It's not that hard.

I tried your solution... but...

- with your kext files I boot in a blue screen...

- deleting AppleIntel830GA... I booted succesfully, but the application using OpenGL (e.g. chess, os Xbench OpenGL Test) does silently and immediatley crash

- deleting AppleIntel830GL... (and AppleIntel830)... the same application starts, but without refreshing (you have to move the window in order to obtain the refresh

COULD IT BE THE SSE3-SSE2 PATCH the difference? I installed the 0.4.1 version...

I tried your solution... but...

- with your kext files I boot in a blue screen...

- deleting AppleIntel830GA... I booted succesfully, but the application using OpenGL (e.g. chess, os Xbench OpenGL Test) does silently and immediatley crash

- deleting AppleIntel830GL... (and AppleIntel830)... the same application starts, but without refreshing (you have to move the window in order to obtain the refresh

COULD IT BE THE SSE3-SSE2 PATCH  the difference? I installed the 0.4.1 version...

Well, from what I can see his kext files zip is a bad zip. I saw a lot of junk in the archive and it didn't work at all.

I've been the instructions over and over, and it isn't working for me. I have the same model laptop as he does. I have also flashed to the latest BIOS firmware for that laptop. I'm out of ideas for now.

Anyone with a Dell 700m and working QE want to archive up (and test) their kexts/or write clear instructions?

Well, from what I can see his kext files zip is a bad zip.  I saw a lot of junk in the archive and it didn't work at all.

I've been the instructions over and over, and it isn't working for me.  I have the same model laptop as he does.  I have also flashed to the latest BIOS firmware for that laptop.  I'm out of ideas for now.

Anyone with a Dell 700m and working QE want to archive up (and test) their kexts/or write clear instructions?

Do you want QE? Turn on your computer, boot Windows, then make a restart and boot to Mac OS (in Mac OS leave original AppleIntelIntegrated an copy from Darwin AppleIntel8*). DO NOT TURN OFF!!! QE works.

I guess my non-QE problem would be the standard allocated 7 mb by the VESA 3.0 bios. Because I can;t allocate the memory in my system bios I am forced without QE.

I don't know how windows manages to give the videocard more memory but in theory the 855GM could get 64 mb.

Only option left would be to write my own vesa 3.0 bios from the binaries of Intel. But hey, I'm only a rookie. I'm trying but won't be easy...

Conclusion; No QE for me

OK... blue/pixelated screens seems to be something to do with the order in which the kext are loaded. Go into single user mode -s, delete them, reboot into Tiger, put the kext back, chmod, chown, and I've run this command as well: -

touch /System/Library/Extensions

After rebooting QE is back and fine.

So I've finally managed to get QE running, and so far used Murzilka's method to keep it running (if starting from a cold boot, I boot windows up to login and then reboot into Tiger). I'll eventually try doing a cold boot straight into Tiger, when I feel brave enough.

TonyKL, if i may ask, what were the steps you used? There's a lot of different things being said in this forum. I have the same chipset(855GM) and have used the method supplied by goldenarwana but only get 1024x768 top resolution. No QE and Core also.