[HowTo] Intel 8xx 1280x800 Full Support

meddlingBanter

461 posts in this topic

No problem, well if you got an Intel Chipset you can use the tool in the attachemtn. It will tell you :)

Goodluck

Thanks soooo much!!

So, here's my info:

intel 865 family

mem cont.-82865G/P/PE or 82848P

I/O cont.-82801EB/ER (ICHH5/ICH5R)

int. grp- not detected or disabled

here's what my mac info says:

Machine Name: Mac

Machine Model: ACPI

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 3.19 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL TPR

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: A03 (Dell Inc.)

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4a4e

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I still can't get anything other than 1024x768 any advice?

I have an 845G and I now get 1600x1200x32@60 but I can not get QE and Core support. Also it recognized my display as a Dell2001FP!

I have the maxxus .4_1 patch installed do I need to have a different CoreGraphics for QE and Core support or has anyone else been able to get QE and Core support with mazzus 4_1 patch?

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: Built-In

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2562

Revision ID: 0x0001

Displays:

DELL 2001FP:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: Apple Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.99 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM

Memory: 512.5 MB

Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

Boot ROM Version: 686O2 v3.18 (Compaq)

I do not have any 915.kext's and only the 830.kext's and I moved and renamed the 915 driver under the MacOS/AppleIntel915 to 830's MacOS/AppleIntel830

I have this in the 830.kext under the <key>Intel830</key> section.

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x25628086 0x25728086</string>

I left this in the <key>Intel915</key> section

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x35828086 0x25928086</string>

and this in the Integrated.kext

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x25628086</string>

Anyone else with a 845g have different?

Also FYI MD5_sum for the actual drivers

MD5 (AppleIntel915) = 25608b3ad628dd82162beeb744bfbf29

MD5 (AppleIntel830) = 05de45d8d5db051b91ab4d6698aea151

I also see these two loaded in kextstat

52 0 0xd71bc000 0xa000 0x9000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics (2.0.0) <51 11>

68 0 0xd8c81000 0x8000 0x7000 com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x (1.4) <63 16 5 4 3 2>

So I guess this means that only the Integrated driver actually loaded right and not the 830.kext which is probably why I do not have QE? Anyone know?

TonyKL, if i may ask, what were the steps you used?  There's a lot of different things being said in this forum.  I have the same chipset(855GM) and have used the method supplied by goldenarwana but only get 1024x768 top resolution.  No QE and Core also.

What I did was edit the 830 kext and the IntegratedGraphics kext changing the IOPCIMatch value to 0x35828086.

Then set the permissions to 755 and ownership to root:wheel

After rebooting I no longer require any boot up parameters and I get my 1400x1050 resolution.

Hope this helps.

Just my .02

using the utility... I check that my graphics chipset is:

"Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics controller"

I'm asking myself if I can use the procedure used in this thread...

as far as now, I have only two "working" settings...

1) all AppleIntel* extensions removed...

- boot at 1024x768

- no detect external monitor, but possible mirror using fn+F10

- Xbench very good performance

2) only AppleIntelIntegrated extension

-boot at 1024x768

- correct detection of external monitor so I can use osx procedure to mirror, or extend it (but strangely it halt the system if I use fn+F10)

-perhaps a little slower in Xbench...

- no OPENGL (openGL applicationwork but DOES NOT refresh)

- no QE

someone with my chip got better results?

855 does work, i have it working (1280x768x32 with QE)

i dont know how i got it to work, but it does, just keep trying and reinstalling etc etc.

i've followed steps listed here EXACTLY as described and it didnt work, then tried again and it did so.....

my advice again:

do a fresh install (yeah its a pain, but do you want QE or not?)

leave all kexts in place

edit the intelintegrated kext with 0x3582 and fix the permissions on it.

reboot.

if your screen screws up and you see massive blue pixels just keep rebooting and hopefully it will work, also try the -F command.

but believe me, it works, somehow. a few other people have it working too.

if your screen screws up and you see massive blue pixels just keep rebooting and hopefully it will work, also try the -F command.

if i use a laptop and see the massive blue pixels, how could i reboot? should i just press down the power button and press enter to let OSX to power off the computer, and then boot from 'COLD'?

and, according to your experience, how many times should i reboot to make QE work?

thanks!

I have the 845g chipset and I have resolution and frequency changing enabled by just deleting all the intel graphics kext's except for the IntelIntegrated one, then I just changed my device ID. No QE support this way though. It would be nice if someone discovered how to enable QE on this chipset. ;)

Sony Vaio VGN-T350p (Intel 855GME) user here. Followed instructions thoroughly with no success. And there must be an underlying reason as to why. I notice that after the gray apple screen the resolution forcibly shifts from 1280x768 to 1024x768 w/ the screen forced to the left of the display -- with a black bar filling in the rest of what I'm assuming would have been 1280x768. (as opposed to the middle w/ black bars on each side).

EDIT: ZOMG HAX...

Yeah... and that underlying reason is because I'm a dumbass.

I went into my bios, and found an option called "LCD Expansion" Default set to NO. Set it to yes, and now Folks, we have full support. Thanks.

Now I wish there was a bios option for "make sound stop being stupid as AppleAC97Codec.kext is working for everyone else" But that again is another thread.

Unfortunatelly I dont have the AppleIntel830.kext file, because I deleted it, without doing a backup... but now I want to try booting up my OSX USB installation on a Dell machine with an Intel 845G adapter, and I cant, because its VESA is broken (800x600 with 256 colors only, OSX looks really funny on it lol).

Can you help me?

Yes, its the 2572. I removed all the AppleIntel files except the AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext.

Inside that kext, I edited the info.plist file to recognize my device ID.

After that, I took all the AppleIntel830 files from the Darwin 8.01 ISO, then added them to the Extensions folder.

Chmoded em, wheeled, rebooted, and I now im running 1280x1024x32@75 with QE enabled.

Pops, your method is the only one that has worked for me.

I deleted all of the intel files, rebooted. Then I copied the AppleIntelIntegrated.kext, file to my extensions directory, and edited the file so that it recognized my device (0x35828086). I deleted my Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext and rebooted the machine. Then I copied ONLY the AppleIntel830 files from the darwin iso (do not copy the 915's), chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* and chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*, and rebooted. I now finally have both a res of 1280x768x32 AND Quartz Extreme. Thank you so much.

I deleted all the AppleIntel files except for AppleIntelIntegrated.kext which i edited to 0x35828086. I also deleted all the ATI and NVIDIA kexts. This allows me to boot up without using safe mode (finally giving me sound and all that goodness).

The mouse looks as if its Quartz Extreme enabled, but the apple system profiler tells me something else. Do you guys think i need the AppleIntel 830 files from darwin?

Pops, your method is the only one that has worked for me.

I deleted all of the intel files, rebooted. Then I copied the AppleIntelIntegrated.kext, file to my extensions directory, and edited the file so that it recognized my device (0x35828086). I deleted my Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext and rebooted the machine. Then I copied ONLY the AppleIntel830 files from the darwin iso (do not copy the 915's), chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* and chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*, and rebooted. I now finally have both a  res of 1280x768x32 AND Quartz Extreme. Thank you so much.

could you guys send me the darwin iso AppleIntel830 files? ..

I got my card recognised with the AppleIntegrated.kext but i cannot get QE to work at all.. Been at it all night renaming modying, deleting the 830,GA,GLand 915 files..My card is a 3582 (855MG,855MGE....) on a Sony X505 laptop.

Can anyone email me those original files at jimpastos@g.m.a.i.l.com thank you

could you guys send me the darwin iso AppleIntel830 files? ..

I got my card recognised with the AppleIntegrated.kext but i cannot get QE to work at all.. Been at it all night renaming modying, deleting the 830,GA,GLand 915 files..My card is a 3582 (855MG,855MGE....) on a Sony X505 laptop.

Can anyone email me those original files at jimpastos@g.m.a.i.l.com thank you

I deleted all of the intel files, rebooted. Then I copied the AppleIntelIntegrated.kext, file to my extensions directory, and edited the file so that it recognized my device (0x35828086). I deleted my Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext and rebooted the machine. Then I copied ONLY the AppleIntel830 files from the darwin iso (do not copy the 915's), chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* and chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*, and rebooted. I now finally have both a res of 1280x768x32 AND Quartz Extreme. The only thing that really tanks is the fact that I must first boot into windows, then reboot into os x. It seems that the stupid chipset uses Dynamic Video Memory Technology. Basically, I don't have enough video ram allocated for os x until Windows allocates it for me. Upon rebooting, the video is still allocated***, allowing me to boot into os x with quartz extreme w/o a headache. If I don't do this sloppy trick first, the video glitches before loading the login screen. Maybe you'll get lucky and won't have to do this nonsense. I can't understand why they didn't just leave it all in the bios for the user to play with.

***--probably thanks to a bug of some sort as Intel says this feature knows when to allocate and deallocate memory from the system)

As requested, I've made a link for the original files via you send it. I'll edit this post with the link in bit.

Removed for DMCA violation.

Do you want QE? Turn on your computer, boot Windows, then make a restart and boot to Mac OS (in Mac OS leave original AppleIntelIntegrated an copy from Darwin AppleIntel8*). DO NOT TURN OFF!!! QE works.

Hey your method worked for me too! Booting into Windows first then restarting into OSX works like a charm..

Booting straight into OSX gives me the pixelated rectangles though.. ;)

Guest delweeg

I have a problem here... My video card is Intel Integrated 865G. I've tried many things to make it QE, but nothing works for me. After the last method with Darwin's files I have an error: AppleIntel380.kext is not working properly - contact your vendor (or something like that). What can I do?

My computer is MSI 865 Deluxe.

I have a problem here... My video card is Intel Integrated 865G. I've tried many things to make it QE, but nothing works for me. After the last method with Darwin's files I have an error: AppleIntel380.kext is not working properly - contact your vendor (or something like that). What can I do?

chown/chmod them

thanks for the files mpeters.. Im sure it gets loaded correctly but it just freezes at boot with a blue background.

it has to be the memory thing cause booting into windows first doesnt do anything. darwin detects then card a 3MB vesa 3 card....

isnt there a way (like a parameter[kernel parameter?]) to force darwin to recognise more ram on the graphics card?

thanks for the files mpeters.. Im sure it gets loaded correctly but it just freezes at boot with a blue background.

it has to be the memory thing cause booting into windows first doesnt do anything. darwin detects then card a 3MB vesa 3 card....

isnt there a way (like a parameter[kernel parameter?]) to force darwin to recognise more ram on the graphics card?

Maybe, but this seems to be the only thing that works for me. From cold boot, if I don't load to windows first, I get to the point of loading the login screen and get one half aqua desktop, and the other half garbled mess that doesn't enable me to do anything than reset the unit. Indeed, I wish there was some kernel parameter to allocate the memory for os x in the same manner windows does. I guess a lot of things like this are taken for granted on apple hardware where configurations don't vary too wildly.

I received this info per intel support:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

The Intel® 82855GM graphics controller can dynamically allocate from 11MB to 64MB of the system's memory for graphics processing. For optimum performance we recommend there to be a minimum of 256MB of system memory and the latest drivers need to be installed.  In other words, the graphics controller will only use up to 64MB of the system memory when needed.  As far as adding video memory, there is no option to do so and the allocation process is fully automatic and cannot be adjusted.

For more information on the memory usage of the Intel® 82855GM graphics controller please visit the following webpage:

http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets...shts/252615.htm

For more information on the supported graphics features of the Intel® 82855GM graphics controller please visit the following webpage:

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/...2gm/feature.htm

More importantly, I would like to know why this is the only method that works for me. Of course, once the machine has already been booted into window first and then into os x, I can reboot as many times as I'd like to without having to boot into windows again. Once I shut off the unit, however, I'm forced into the same monotony of loading Windows and rebooting... or load in safe mode with no extensions.

This may be a stupid question, but did you already edit the Apple Integrated kext file to match your vendor and dev ids? I realized that the ones AppleIntegratedGraphics.kext file I uploaded was already edited for my system (There's only one line to change anyway....) The rest of the files were straight off the darwin cd.

After chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* and chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/* It started working.

EDIT: Also... Make sure that the AppleIntel915 files are not in the directory. For some stupid reason when include both sets of extensions, the graphics don't work properly. I wouldn't think that this would make a difference.

Guest delweeg
This may be a stupid question, but did you already edit the Apple Integrated kext file to match your vendor and dev ids?  I realized that the ones AppleIntegratedGraphics.kext file I uploaded was already edited for my system (There's only one line to change anyway....) The rest of the files were straight off the darwin cd.

After chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/* and chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/* It started working.

EDIT: Also... Make sure that the AppleIntel915 files are not in the directory. For some stupid reason when include both sets of extensions, the graphics don't work properly.  I wouldn't think that this would make a difference.

Thanks. I got it right only after typing sudo with chmod and chown commands (i would recommend you to put sudo in you readme-instruction, otherwise its not working).

Now i have a 'blue screen' problem as well... And I DON'T HAVE WINDOWS ON MY PC. No idea what to do without this stupid Windows... Any suggestions? Maybe there is some DOS program that makes the reset?