Best Computer Cases

105 posts in this topic

cayenne-wheel-suv.jpg

pc-mod-1_58.jpg

pc-mod2_58.jpg

A Porsche Cayenne wheel with SLI. What could be better?

Nice, innovative idea...don't get me wrong...but I think you may have missed the point of this thread...I think we are comparing notes on what computer cases are commercially available...I don't think any of us could go to our average computer store and order/buy one of these...I don't think even Porche offer these as an aftermarket option!

...but that being said...please don't misquote me...wonderful effort...all the same!

Basically, anything which accommodates all your drives and has the best power supply available.

My present choice is the 500 W "EarthWatts", particularly as this series is very tolerant of power brown-outs.

Even if the power dips to 108 volts ... not unusual out in the country ... the Antec "EarthWatts" PSU will ride through it.

The black Antec cases are pretty neat, too.

So, given the neat case, and the "EarthWatts" PSU, I would say Antec.

Basically, anything which accommodates all your drives and has the best power supply available.

My present choice is the 500 W "EarthWatts", particularly as this series is very tolerant of power brown-outs.

Even if the power dips to 108 volts ... not unusual out in the country ... the Antec "EarthWatts" PSU will ride through it.

The black Antec cases are pretty neat, too.

So, given the neat case, and the "EarthWatts" PSU, I would say Antec.

Best power supply isn't going to come with a case, just like the best cases don't come with power supplies. The Earthwatts supply is a good entry level supply, but that about it. It's nothing special as far as build quality or voltage stability. A $60 600 Watt Sparkle Power EPS12 supply will clean it's clock in pretty much every category and is $15-20 cheaper. Even high end Antec supplies are mediocre at best.

Lian-Li cases have always been my favorite. I like big black 100% aluminum cases.

If I was to guess who makes Apple's cases for them, I'd say Lian-li.

He're the one I'm planning to get for my next Hack:

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/produ...amp;ss_index=61

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe... The one I have is SERIOUSLY just plain beautiful. Very simple like a MacPro case, but black. I love my Full-ATX Rocketfish case. Its a server, and gaming case with no extra stuff that I wouldn't use. Just 2 USB 2.0, 1 6-pin Firewire, and a headphone and microphone jack that internally has an option of using a HD Audio, or AC'97 connector to the motherboard. Also has six DVD drive bays, and two Floppy drive bays. But you could use those for Media bays, etc. It has three 120mm fans, one in the front, back, and another in a odd place. It is directly above the PCI area, and even if you do have a 8800GT, it will not get in the way. It also has six hard drive bays, so plenty of room of storage. I got the 700-watt PSU to go with it, also, made by Rocketfish. I hope to get there keyboard and mouse. They are a new company, and I fully support them simply because of their beautiful and elegant design. Also they have rock solid products, and they have great quality. I'll post some pictures soon of it.

Just bought an Antec 900 so there you are. I think it will do nicely :rolleyes:

P.S. Rat rods are WAY cool. I've got a 32 five window that gets a new coat of Krylon primer every year. To butcher a quote"...PAINT!?! We don't need no STINKING paint!..." LOL

There ya go, why pay all that much money for some thing that just sits there and half the time never gets seen anyways.

Save your money for the insides. Think of it as a rat rod!

Rat rods tend to be noisy cars that rattle, fall apart, are unaerodynamic, and are dangerous. So are most cheap cases.

So I rather get a more expensive but a quieter, higher-quality case that is quiet, does not rattle (ie holds things in place firmly), has good airflow, and does not expose dangerous parts of the computer.

That said, that Rosewill looks rather solid.

Rosewill cases are very good bargains- I've built several systems with them. My favorite, the R6426-P used to be $15 at newegg, and yet looks extremely sleek and has some nice features like twin 120mm fan mounts. Granted, most details of these cheap-o cases are very no-frills (like I hate the one-screw and bracket PCI holder- worst PC design ever), but it gets the job done. I have two servers in my house going strong in these cases for over two years, no problem. For a box that's going to be sitting back in a closet somewhere, in the garage, wherever, why not go with a cheap case?

For a better case that I wouldn't mind out where it can be seen, I do like Lian Li cases. They make some very nice looking boxes that look like something an adult would own, as opposed to a kid. The Antec P series is very nice too.

Hopefully the era of tacked on plastic transformer {censored}, and ugly side panel doors with 'little kiddy' lights inside is on the way out.

• 5 months later...
lubic1.jpg

I've always thought the lubic cases like the one shown above were interesting. You can build them into anything you want. I've seen so many neat things! But seriously, I went for the Antec Nine Hundred. Two of my friends have the case and love it because it keeps everything very cool. It has two large fans in the front, another one in the back, a well ventilated side and a huge 200mm fan on the top. We could even float sticky notes with it! It not only kept the computer cool, but it also keeps you cool, the thing is a freaking fan! I figure if I'm going to over clock I'm going to need a good ventilated case.

11-129-021-18.jpg

Got this case for my i7 new years build :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...