New AMD DVD for leopard

max33

2,431 posts in this topic

Everything works here, except I can't get my 6800GS working fully... I can get it to change resolutions, but everything else is in software mode. I have yet to find a guide or files that works for me.... I had this problem in Tiger too, but I eventually got it worked out and it worked perfectly. So I tried the same kexts and all it got me was resolution change.

On the other hand, I no longer have to reinsert my mouse and keyboard (USB) after boot, everything works right off the bat! Very thrilling :whistle:

AMD Opteron 165

DFI nForce4 Ultra-D

2gb G.Skill

nVidia 6800GS

120gb SATA (Leo)

250GB SATA (XP)

250GB SATA (Files)

Buffalo Wireless NIC (Broadcom)

1 - Launch DVD

2 - At boot prompt, type -s

3 - fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

update

f 1

w (y)

q

4 - cd /usr/standalone/i386

./startupfiletool -v /dev/rdis0sX ./boot (X is your partition)

5 - mount -uw /

mount -t hfs /dev/disk0sX /Volumes

6 - bless -device /dev/disk0sX -setBoot -verbose

7 - reboot and tell me if it makes any difference

I tried this after booting -s from the CD and it didn't seem to work. Seems to boot fine from the CD however.

Guest Snowski

Don't tell me those trying out Leopard are actualy erasing the Tiger install to replace the "in early stages" hacked Leopard.

I have no probs with the release but will not use it as my main OS yet. And I would defenetly not replace my Tiger install with it when I don't even know which apps work or not work.

Get the Tubgirl 10.4.10 first (which is the best for AMD) so you have a rock stable backup install you can get back to and then fiddle around with whatever Leopard release you are willing to try.

But thats only my opinion so take it as you will. I'm sorry for those who can't get this release working. I would suggest to keep trying since you guys practicaly have the same hardware as those who got it working.

Good luck!

A GREAT release after all. I was able to load this and install this version of Leo with very ease.

The following are the specs (and what is working out of box):

AMD Athlon64 Venice (SSE3) @2.9Ghz

DFI Infinity nForce4 Ultra motherboard

2GB DDR

Built-in Ethernet is working

built-in Realtek ALC655 6-channel Audio (I guess only STEREO is working)

Leo installed on 2nd Partition of 120GB SATA Drive (dual booting)

Logitech Mouse + Keyboard on USB (PS/2 connection not working)

Logitech Ultra Vision webcam working

The procedure for install was easy:

1. Formatted 2nd 12GB partition and made it Active and Bootable

2. Loaded Leopard DVD

3. Once reboot appeared, went back to DVD and in terminal:

3a. Removed GeForce*.kext + NVDA*.kext folders/files (rm -rf GeForce*.kext NVDA*.kext)

3b. Removed -legacy string from /Volumes/your_drive_name_here/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, and also added string "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32" to get higher resolution

4. Rebooted and continues with install

Now I need the following hardware to work (install):

ATI Radeon X800 video card

WiFi based on Ralink RT2500, with SoftAP mode!

... anyone knows what are the procedures, and where can I find the guide/howto and drivers/kext for these hardware.

Thank you a lot for this release. As I understand, since I am using an AMD processor, the PC_EFI mod will never be useful for us, or am I mistaken, as from what I know, the EFI patch makes it easier to manage and update the system.

System is more responsive than my previous 10.4.10 (Tubgirl) install. Compared to Vista (use only for gaming, and thinking again switching back to XP) this one is very fast, I can say on par with my openSUSE Linux installation.

UPDATE: X11 not working, "quits unexpectedly" !!! What can be the problem?

Gr8 Release .... thanks. Now I wonder what will happen when Updates to system will be rolling out. Which ones are safe to install via Apple Update and from which ones I should stay away as to not brick my system. Right now I have all the latest, including Quicktime and iTunes.

Anyone using a working PS/2 mouse?

During install, both PS/2 mouse and PS/2 keyboard are detected and works well. After install, when booting to Leopard, both keyb and mice are not detected anymore :-(. I've included the extension ApplePS2Controller.kext, and then only the keyboard works.

Any comment will be appreciated.

For those who have installed Leopard on a PC that already has Vista 32 or 64 installed, are having trouble booting without the Leo DVD, or are getting kernel panics over Geforce or NVDA kexts, and aren't really that into Terminal and command prompts, this was my approach to getting Leopard up and running.

Getting it up:

Boot into Vista and go get EasyBCD, a freeware Vista boot configuration manager from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1. Install it on Vista and follow its instructions for adding MacOSX into the Vista boot manager. That done, make sure you've removed the Leopard DVD and reboot.

Select MacOSX on the Vista boot menu to get to the Leopard (or whatever you called your Leo hard drive partition), and boot it with the -x option, to start Leopard in safe mode. This will (hopefully) load Leo and you'll be presented with the GUI for new account setup or account transfer (ie from Tiger) screens. Completing one of these processes will hopefully get you to the Leo desktop. Once there, note which of your Vista partitions are visible and whether you can access files on them with Finder. Now check whether you have Internet access. I doubt it, but if you do you can skip the return to Vista, otherwise, after your done checking it out, return to Vista.

Getting it happy:

Now your comfortably back on Vista, you can find and download the Leopard Only NVinject 0.1.3 Installer (NVinject.zip file), from the website http://www.macdotnub.info, to put an end to the kernel panic during boot (with luck). Make sure you get the right one and put it in a folder you can access from Leo with Finder, or on a usb thumbdrive. Of course, if you found you have Internet access from Leo already, you can do this with Safari.

Boot back into Leo, using -x for safe mode, and from the desktop use Finder to browse to where you saved the NVinject 0.1.3 Installer file ie nvinject.zip. Doubleclick it, and then doubleclick NVinject.pkg to run the installer, and follow the onscreen directions to install.

That done, reboot normally. Good luck.

If this fails, or for a possibly cleaner installation, see post 404 above.

I'm just preparing a new DVD.

Actually I use EFI v7 with all original kexts (except IOATAFamily for NForce ATA and AppleSMBios which corrects "System Profiler") and Toh kernel.

All is working perfectly but I still need to use NVinject even with EFI for my Geforce 8800 GTS.

Don't know if I will upload it soon finally.

EFI is still experimental and release a new DVD which is not perfectly stable is not a good idea I think.

For those who complain about the ISO not working on their computer, I just said that I made it for me as there is no other DVD which is able to install automatically (yeah bootloader and others things are a bit broken).

Stop asking me why something is not working for you, how do you want me to know ?

I just tested my ISO on MY computer and you were beta-testers (who said alpha ?) because I choose to give it to you.

Now, if anyone has already tested EFI on his machine.

Give me your configuration, the EFI version you used and tell me what is working and what is not working.

Working almost without trouble here. But I'm experiencing random freezes and I dont know to what it's related ;)

It also freezes , when I use cpus=1 as a parameter...it still hase the standart parameters in the boot.plist (-v, -legacy)

Here are my specs, maybe somebody knows fixes for those issues:

Mainboard: MSI K8N Neo4-F

CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+

RAM: 2GB Corsair VS

GFX: ATI Radeon X1600 Silentpipe II (Gigabyte)

HD: Seagate 300gb

DVD: Pioneer DVR-111D

While the Leopard stumbles a bit, the tiger sneaked perfectly :)

My progress:

I've replaced the mach_kernel with one suitable for my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ SSE2. DVD installation finally booted up!.

The first time, installation froze almost at the end :-(

The second time, installation went well, although the mach_kernel was changed during install. I had to replace it again from XP and MacDrive.

Now the problem is with the PS/2 mouse. It simply doesn't work. Could anyone throw some light to this problem?

The PS/2 keyboard works well since i've included the ApplePS2Controller.kext.

Is it worth to keep searching for a PS/2 mouse solution, or it is better to buy a PS/2 to USB converter?.

Regards.

After I've seen your post I've installed (from a Tiger installation on another partition) ApplePS2Controller.kext from THIS thread and now i have both mouse and keyboard working on PS2... :-)

Hope it can be useful...

still no drives apearing when booted the dvd, anyone knows how to solve it?

i have tried installing tiger too, but when I boot after installation it says: diskarb isnt ready yet, anyone who knows what's the problem?

Did you use the Disk Utility to get your drive ready to install?

zephyroth>>>

What advantages will be there with your new ISO release, and what's new? I experimental EFI the only difference?

If I was able to install your current release, should we, who were able to install, re-install with your new ISO release ... your suggestions.

BTW, the only prob I found so far is when I click About this Mac, it logs off me automatically, hence no window with info. Plus System Profiler is not complete, meaning not showing all hardware info correctly, but guess this doesn't matter much.

Hi guys. I'm getting the file and also seeding simultanously. I can seed it for days my up 1500kbs.

question, i download from a rapidshare links about 45 RAR files, that decompressed a 10.5.dmg file.

the post was this :

Mac OS X v10.5 LEOPARD

for: PC INTEL & AMD

(OSX86 - HACKINTOSH)

The file is DMG. SO I tried converting it to an ISO and burn it.. BUt the dVD wont boot.

I can open the existing .dmg file on my current hackingtosh, Indeed is Leopard.. but I dont know what do with it. How do make

a bootable DVD from it? If I click on the install ICOn it wants to restart and boot from it, but obviously it wont.

Norcimo

zephyroth, as long as you're compiling a new DVD, see if there's anything that can be done for those of us getting stuck at the "Create Your Account" screen on the initial boot of leopard. Otherwise everything appears to be OK on my end. See my sig for hardware details. Thanks so much for all your hard work, and I realize you don't have to accept any special requests. ;)

After I've seen your post I've installed (from a Tiger installation on another partition) ApplePS2Controller.kext from THIS thread and now i have both mouse and keyboard working on PS2... :-)

Hope it can be useful...

Hi, Stevefate. Thanks for your comment. I've already included the kext you mentioned, but still no luck. Only keyboard works. The weird thing is, as i said before, that during install, the extension is loaded ok (ApplePS2Controller v1.1.0, ApplePS2Keyboard v1.1.0 and ApplePS2Mouse v1.2.0). Indeed, by opening the Terminal during install, and doing a kextstat, I can see the extension loaded and working well. I'm puzzled. Therefore, i've tryied to include the original extension from the DVD, but then nothing works!.

Thanks.

first, thanks zephyroth. got it up and running using a kinda work-around way. i kept getting hanging installs when trying to install on a machine with an a8n-e mainboard so i grabbed my old a8n-vm and installed it on a 40 gig pata (sata not work-at least medevil kext-with this board has 410 chipset). plugged that drive and the sata into the a8n-e machine, used carbon copy and viola, it's up and running.

i've got a 7300gt nvidia and used the kexts from the earlier post and it's working nicely. forcedeth-d.kext and audio was recognised so everything is good. only thing left to figure out is how to get the hd to boot as i am booting from the dvd. tried above methods and no go, so hopefully someone can figure that one out. in the meantime things seem to be well. haven't really tried many progs yet but again, thanks for the effort.

works almost perfectly for me, thanks zephyroth.

had to manually set drive as active/bootable after install; only problem now is my nforce 570 chipset that doesn't allow access to SATA hard drives or ethernet.

specs:

Asus M2N-SLI deluxe, with

Nforce 570 chipset

8800 GTX 768mb

AMD 6000+ cpu

sound had to be improvised from an old Azalia kext.

Also, Leopard refuses to see my IDE HD as bigger than 128gb; but all these issues are related to the nforce 570 chipset. I believe MikeInNs is working on the ethernet driver.

Thanks for your work so far!

:P

I solved it by using a PS/2 to USB adapter that can be had at any bestbuy for about 20 bucks, or online for about 5. It's a decent quick fix. Then yesterday I just went out and bought a USB KVM finally, so no need for the adapter anymore.

So no one has found a way for "About This Mac" to say what kind of processor you actually have?

For a laptop this really is not a reasonable resolution though...