New AMD DVD for leopard

max33

2,431 posts in this topic

Anyone with Leo installed on the same PC as Vista (sorry, cut my tongue out), and having trouble booting Leo?

I'm using a piece of freeware installed on vista to set up the boot, so I can choose between Vista64, XP, and MacOS (Tiger and Leopard). Its called EasyBCD, and is available here (hope a link to legitimate freeware is ok?) http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

I think I only get netstart showing up in Disk Utility as a boot, but booting has not been a problem for me.

Hope this helps someone.

Guest Snowski

The crashing seems to be iTunes/network related cause every time I try to listen to a radiostation in iTunes or check online content inside front row it crashes Leopard and I have to reboot.

So I will not try the cpu=1 method yet (I don't know how to do it anyway :)

Any ideas lads? If I need to manualy configure the net, how would I do that?

Update: I just configured my proxy (auto proxy config with pac adress) and it seems to be cured, well at least it didnt crash so far.

I'll keep this OS on my USB drive for testing purposes.

From my tiger installation

didn't work,..

perhaps I'm doing the fdisk commands wrong?

I type sudo -s, password

then being my leopard is disk1s1 I typed fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1a1

then update

then f 1

then w

then y (accept it)

then q

then reboot

do I need to type f 01 as people are doing?

I didn't boot with legacy, but it booted up for me. Not that great expirence though, kind of slow. But maybe booting with -legacy might help. But I have gotten Leopard to boot for me. Here's how.

I left the install disk in the dvd-drive, DON'T RUN THE INSTALLER. Let it time out, then it should boot up leopard for you.

If you haven't already, continue setting up leopard with the basics, the keyboard identifier, name and information such like that.

When finally booted into leopard, locate the terminal.

sudo -s, password

disk -e /dev/rdiskX (number of your disk)

update

f X (number of the partition you want to boot on)

w

q

reboot

After you reboot, take out your disk, and it should boot up normally. Don't know why using this enviroment instead of the install disk had this much effect on it though. I can't confirm this to be 100% right though.

Now, my expirences with leopard.

As I said before, leopard was really slow. I actually expected something on the lines of this. My audio, video, network, or usb2.0 did not work. USB2.0 was only detected as usb1, which right now was no problem. My video I knew would never work, xpress 200, however core image worked by software. I'm gonna mess around with leopard later, trying to get certain things working and such.

Hy @ all!!

I have downloaded this Image burned it with Nero to a single Layer DVD.

When i was trying to Install Leo an my Laptop it shows following Massege and then freezes!!!

"Waiting for boot volume with UID 42256FC1-ACD2-31CC-B3A3723600D5

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</string

ID="1">IORessources</string><key>IORessourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

AppleNForceATA:Nvidia n Force by medevil (cmd 0x1f0, ctr 0x3f4, irq14, BM 0x3080)

So can anabody tell whats wrong or did i something wrong??

Please help!!!

Hi group. I solved the problem of the DVD looping back to "press any key to install". I have my BIOS set up to try to boot from the CD/DVD first, USB second, and hard drive last. This way I do not have to f12 when I am putting in a rescue or install CD. If I skip the F12 step for this install disc then I get the previously mentioned loop. If i Explicitly tell the computer to boot from the DVD then it will load into the GUI and take me through the steps up to selecting a drive for installation.

Current problems:

1) The touchpad and kbd don't respond after the OS starts loading.

Some terminal output that may be useful here is:

I was able to attach and use a USB mouse. I have not tried a USB kbd.

Of note- The kbd and TP did work the first several boots/attempts at install. So, this really does not make sense.

2)There is no option for an installation disk or partition. As if the installer does not notice that I have a drive. My drive has 3 partitions, 2 linux ext3 partitions and a swap. I can see these in Disc Utility. I even reformatted it to one FAT partition, also to one NTFS partition. None of these were successful. The bootable flag is on.

I'll keep hacking away and keep you posted. Please tell me if you know any solutions to either of these problems.

Thanks

James

Hi again,

Continuing with the SSE2 "mach reboot" problem...

Let's assume I've already downloaded a SSE2/SSE3 kernel for my SSE2 CPU. So what's next?. Is it as simply as replacing the mach_kernel file, and then burn the ISO image again?

Thanks.

Hy @ all!! I have downloaded this Image burned it with Nero to a single Layer DVD. When i was trying to Install Leo an my Laptop it shows following Massege and then freezes!!! Waiting for boot volume with UID 42256FC1-ACD2-31CC-B3A3723600D5

AppleNForceATA:Nvidia n Force by medevil (cmd 0x1f0, ctr 0x3f4, irq14, BM 0x3080)

So can anabody tell whats wrong or did i something wrong??Please help!!!

What are your hardware specs?

It sounds like you're running the MCP51 nVidia nForce 4 chipset ... which does not currently work with osx86 and SATA. I'm having the same problem.

The for nForce MCP51 users are:

1) wait for a better AppleNForceATA.kext (could be a loooong time)

2) install and boot of an external USB hard drive.

Thanks for your reply!

I think you´re right!!

Hardware: CPU: AMD Turion 64X2 TL-52

Mainboard:Quanta 30B9

Chipset: Nforce 410/430 MCP

Graphic: GeForce 7600 GO

RAM: Samsung 1024MB DD2-SDRAM PC5300

Audio: Conexant HD Audio

DVD-Writer: Phillips DVD-RAM SDVD8821

Cardreader: Ricoh

HDD´s: 2 Fujitsu MHV2100 BH PL (each has 100GB) SATA

WLAN: Broadcom BCM43XX

Another thing i want to ask if it´s possible to install leopard an my Hardware?

Hi group. I solved the problem of the DVD looping back to "press any key to install". I have my BIOS set up to try to boot from the CD/DVD first, USB second, and hard drive last. This way I do not have to f12 when I am putting in a rescue or install CD. If I skip the F12 step for this install disc then I get the previously mentioned loop. If i Explicitly tell the computer to boot from the DVD then it will load into the GUI and take me through the steps up to selecting a drive for installation.

Current problems:

1) The touchpad and kbd don't respond after the OS starts loading.

Some terminal output that may be useful here is:

I was able to attach and use a USB mouse. I have not tried a USB kbd.

Of note- The kbd and TP did work the first several boots/attempts at install. So, this really does not make sense.

2)There is no option for an installation disk or partition. As if the installer does not notice that I have a drive. My drive has 3 partitions, 2 linux ext3 partitions and a swap. I can see these in Disc Utility. I even reformatted it to one FAT partition, also to one NTFS partition. None of these were successful. The bootable flag is on.

I'll keep hacking away and keep you posted. Please tell me if you know any solutions to either of these problems.

Thanks

James

What are your hardware specs? Specifically, what chipset?

1) The PS2 kexts are very tempormental on my laptop. They sometimes work, sometimes don't, and sometimes crash the system. I'm wondering if there are alernative PS2 kexts for they keyboard and mouse.

I'm running AMD Turion X2 1.8Ghz, NVidia NForce 4 MCP51, external USB drive.

2) I have the same problem with the installation DVD. It will only start the DVD if I explicitly select the dvd-rom drive from a boot menu. It won't boot automatically to the dvd-rom drive which is listed first in the boot order.

Thanks for your reply!

I think you´re right!!

Hardware: CPU: AMD Turion 64X2 TL-52

Mainboard:Quanta 30B9

Chipset: Nforce 410/430 MCP

Graphic: GeForce 7600 GO

RAM: Samsung 1024MB DD2-SDRAM PC5300

Audio: Conexant HD Audio

DVD-Writer: Phillips DVD-RAM SDVD8821

Cardreader: Ricoh

HDD´s: 2 Fujitsu MHV2100 BH PL (each has 100GB) SATA

WLAN: Broadcom BCM43XX

Another thing i want to ask if it´s possible to install leopard an my Hardware?

Yeah, I have the exact same laptop. HP dv9000z?

It's possible to run Leopard on this hardware, but you must jump through lots and lots of hoops first. :P I've been trying for months after wasting many many hours trying to boot off the SATA drives. Booting from the internal SATA drive is not possible with any current nForce ATA drivers. It took me a while to accept this fate. :)

You must install to PATA (IDE), which in our case, can only be done with an external USB hard drive. There's more hoops after that, but I'm currently working out the kinks. I've successfully booted the DVD mentioned in this thread (best so far) and installed to an external drive. I'm currently hung up on trying to boot off this drive because the Darwin bootloader doesn't appear to be working. Otherwise it should work.

Once I get a working installation I'm going to make an image of it for us HP nForce laptop owners to use.

I have a DV9047ea.

When the only is an external HD i´m out! :P Because i don´t have one!!

I think your Prob to boot without Darwin is possible, cause the new easyBCD can create a vista bootloader to your xp drive and then you can manage the osx boot in it.

I don´t know if this works but you can try it.

Hope you have much luck to get your osx working!!

What are your hardware specs? Specifically, what chipset?1) The PS2 kexts are very tempormental on my laptop. They sometimes work, sometimes don't, and sometimes crash the system. I'm wondering if there are alernative PS2 kexts for they keyboard and mouse.I'm running AMD Turion X2 1.8Ghz, NVidia NForce 4 MCP51, external USB drive.2) I have the same problem with the installation DVD. It will only start the DVD if I explicitly select the dvd-rom drive from a boot menu. It won't boot automatically to the dvd-rom drive which is listed first in the boot order.

I have an HP dv6000. Sounds as if this may be a problem...

AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor TK-53

2GiB RAM, 120GiB HDD

BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI Broadcom Wireless (builtin)

nVidia Geforce 6150 Go video card

nVidia MCP51 chipset

Hello

I have successfully installed leopard but I have the same kernel panic than a lot of people here.

So I intented to delete the necessary .kext files... But when I try to boot into safe-mode with the -x option in darwin booter, I come back to leopard install. I can access to the terminal mode through the -s option in darwin boot, but I can't modify anything as it makes my root drive file-system read-only.

Any idea?

Thanks for your help, and thanks to zephyroth for his work!

I can access to the terminal mode through the -s option in darwin boot, but I can't modify anything as it makes my root drive file-system read-only.

Once in single-user mode:

mount -uw /

This will mount the root with read/write privileges.

In fact, it seems that when I boot in -s mode, I boot on the dvd, not the hard drive :/

What I don't understand is that darwin list well my leopard installation..

EDIT: Managed to remove them through macdrive in vista ^^ Leopard now boot but without mouse & keyboard support, all in ps/2..