New AMD DVD for leopard

max33

2,431 posts in this topic

do what I did, get a xp install disc if you can, format the hdd (under 30 gb) in FAT32 format when it's done and begins to upload the windows files turn off your computer reboot in the mac installer disc for format it with disc utility.

This is a rather insignificant thing, and if there isn't a way to do it it's not a problem, but is there a way to get About This Mac to properly report which AMD Processor you're using in Leopard? It's really the only thing that isn't right in my install, and its kind of gnawing at me.

zeph would this work with a DFI LanParty NF4 ULTRA-D mobo?

it has Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio

and has Vitesse VSC8201 Gigabit Phy and Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit PCI for LAN..

or would i need to patch?

thanx..

Dev this is the MSI Neo4 Platinum Ultra (939) MB that I'm using. Have alook at the specs and my posts above, and decide for yourself. It probably comes down to your video card.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=pr...o=&cat3_no=

For those stuck at "Creating Account"

Easy solution: Import a previous user account either from tiger or from a time machine backup

Longer solution: The problem is with loginwindow.app not being patched up correctly. Use marvin's amd utility

and run it on the Mac OS X 10.5.1 update package in the create patcher mode

(There was a guide on this in this forum). Run the patch it generates in single user mode

That should fix the login problem as well as the login and out loop that happens when you

get past that screen

It seems that for some people, the dvd doesn't fully patch all of the files and running the decrypt scrips from Shrinker do not work since this DVD is version 10.5.1 which

introduces new files that the Shrinker scripts (10.5.0) don't catch. Just a heads up for you guys

Guest Snowski
zeph would this work with a DFI LanParty NF4 ULTRA-D mobo?

it has Realtek ALC850 8-channel audio

and has Vitesse VSC8201 Gigabit Phy and Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit PCI for LAN..

or would i need to patch?

thanx..

Check my sig, ALC850 is good to go (have not checked surround yet, only stereo)

I cannot comment on the network adapters.

Hello, I got Leopard running on my amd system using the flat image.

I post here because I saw people having the same problem with iTunes and iPhoto.

Both crash when I try to import (photos or MP3)

I reinstalled again, got my hardware working first, then tried to import on iTunes, was OK, tried to import on iPhoto, was OK, then i updated iTunes, import was still OK, updated quicktime and after reboot, no more import.

I think the quicktime update is causing broken import on iTunes and iPhoto, but i didn't find a way to fix it.

If anyone has an idea about it it could be really great, I need these 2 apps to run, so until there is a fix about that, I'll stay with tiger :(

Amd X2 4600+

M2N32 SLI Deluxe (nForce 590)

4Go DDR2 800

GeForce 7600GT (X2) but I need to remove one to get the system to boot (if any one has a fix about that too :blink:)

1 - Launch DVD

2 - At boot prompt, type -s

3 - fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

update

f 1

w (y)

q

4 - cd /usr/standalone/i386

./startupfiletool -v /dev/rdis0sX ./boot (X is your partition)

5 - mount -uw /

mount -t hfs /dev/disk0sX /Volumes

6 - bless -device /dev/disk0sX -setBoot -verbose

7 - reboot and tell me if it makes any difference

on step four I typed it in and said no file found?

do I need the startupfiletool inorder for step 4-7? if so where can I get it?

and should I be doing all these in the terminal(in the setup) or from F8 -s?

sorry for so many ?'s

Works almost perfect on my computer. One thing to solve QE/CI support for my X1600Pro video card. I will try solutions from this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68954

My computer:

CPU: Athlon64 AM2 3000+

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Memory: 2GB Dual channel

Video: Club3D X1600Pro

Sound: Realtek ALC882

HDD: ATA 160GB, SATA 250GB

Well, after genuinely thinking it wouldn't work, I now have Leopard seemingly fully working on my AMD system! I have even managed to dual boot it using EasyBCD. I have to say that even though i'm new to this and barely know what a kext is, I managed to muddle together the instructions from this thred to make it work.

I have:

Nforce4 Gogabyte Mobo,

Athlon X2 Dual core (both cores detected apparently)

3 Gigs of ram

At first I was getting a kernel panic related to what I thought was the CPU. Mmm I thought, so I removed the -legacy flag from com.apple.boot.plist as instructed here in the thread (MacDrive is a LIFESAVER here by the way)

Then I made the drive bootable (SEEMS VERY IMPORTANT - and something people keep missing) - Instructions have been repeated on this thread MANY times, and even I ignored them.

That didn't seem to sort it so I deleted all of the kexts in the kexts folder starting with NV and GE. That seemed to get me into Leopard! but of course without Quartz Extreme... Simple enough I just followed the instructions by foodfightr and copied in the kext files that were specified, rebooted and now it works!!!!! I'm OVER THE MOON.

It takes a bit of effort, but THANKS guys for putting all of YOUR effort in writing and typing instructions. Much appreciated.

One thing i'm curious about: When I go into system profiler, it says my computer is "Mac". Does this mean I will be able to use the Software update utility as i've read somewhere that if it says "Mac", it thinks your computer is a real Mac and will update normally. I doubt it, but i'm just curious.

Thanks again!

EFI isn't implemented in this release.

With EFI you could see that shot1.tiff

But even with EFI, you couldn't simply update from Mac Update because on AMD, we need to apply decrypts and cpuid and we need a patched kernel too (I tested with MacOSXUpd10.5.1 and to make it work I have to replace kernel an apply cpuids and decrypts).

foodfightr, that's normal, most computers will have that panic at your first boot, try following these steps to see if you can fix the issue.

Update: Fully Working! I will post steps here momentarily.

This is what I did to get my system fully working with Natit for my 7300GT:

Install from Zephyroth DVD.

Reboot to install DVD, open terminal, follow these steps to make drive bootable

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX --->(X is the number of your HD, if you have only on its 0)

update

f X --->(X is the number of the partition where you installed Leopard)

w

q

reboot

Reboot to safe mode, use migration assistant to move ACCOUNT ONLY from working JaS 10.4.8 Tiger install on secondary hard drive, log in to safe mode, remove all GeForce*.kext and NV*.kext files.

Reboot to normal mode, you will be in VESA Graphics options with no QE/CI but at least you're in the OS.

Then, take all files from http://rapidshare.com/files/72992251/leo_vid_kexts.zip.html and copy to /System/Library/Extensions

When it asks you to authenticate hit OKAY and put in your password.

Then open the terminal, type sudo -s then your password and paste the following

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDARESMAN.KEXT ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDARESMAN.KEXT

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV30Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV40Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext ;

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

then hit Enter.

Type Reboot, Pray.

These are all the steps I followed to get a fully working QE/CI Leopard AMD install. Once again, thank you Zephyroth! You are the man!

Ok I did the (fdisk -e ... reboot) portion of these instructions. I deleted the Geforce kexts.

I rebooted and Leopard came up fine.

I don't remember migrating my settings from my tiger installation, but they appeared to already be there. My programs, user name, etc from tiger were working fine in leopard.

WHen I had tiger I installed a dual monitor kext for my graphics card. (Granted, I never got it working.) However this time when I booted leopard I had both of my screens working at thier full 1680x1050 resolution. Should I still install the kexts from rapidshare?

What is QE/CI and how do I check if I have it working?

My internet is not working. I'm using the lan card that is built into my DFI LanParty Ultra-D. From the Ultra-D specifications site:

Dual Gigabit LAN - Vitesse VSC8201 Gigabit Phy and Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit PCI

<LI>Fully compliant to IEEE 802.3 (10BASE-T), 802.3u (100BASE-TX) and

802.3ab (1000BASE-T) standards

zephyroth, I'm currently experiencing the networking problem where when network activity picks up, i get a kernel panic. Is this issue related to the Nforce forcedeth driver or is this a general network issue in leopard osx86 for all nic's?

I solved it by using a PS/2 to USB adapter that can be had at any bestbuy for about 20 bucks, or online for about 5. It's a decent quick fix. Then yesterday I just went out and bought a USB KVM finally, so no need for the adapter anymore.

So no one has found a way for "About This Mac" to say what kind of processor you actually have?

I solved it by using a PS/2 to USB adapter that can be had at any bestbuy for about 20 bucks, or online for about 5. It's a decent quick fix. Then yesterday I just went out and bought a USB KVM finally, so no need for the adapter anymore.

So no one has found a way for "About This Mac" to say what kind of processor you actually have?

Me too :D PS/2 to USB adapter is best solution an costs less than 5 euros.

@zephyroth- that's how I did it initially, I booted by F8 -s <br /><br />and in step Four it said there was no such file

Download the latest EFI... it contains the binary you are looking for.

http://rs115.rapidshare.com/files/73131545...efi_v73.tar.bz2

Just move this to your Leopard volume and run it from there.

You can also run this binary from a usb thumbdrive... ect.

For those stuck at "Creating Account"

Easy solution: Import a previous user account either from tiger or from a time machine backup

Longer solution: The problem is with loginwindow.app not being patched up correctly. Use marvin's amd utility

and run it on the Mac OS X 10.5.1 update package in the create patcher mode

(There was a guide on this in this forum). Run the patch it generates in single user mode

That should fix the login problem as well as the login and out loop that happens when you

get past that screen

It seems that for some people, the dvd doesn't fully patch all of the files and running the decrypt scrips from Shrinker do not work since this DVD is version 10.5.1 which

introduces new files that the Shrinker scripts (10.5.0) don't catch. Just a heads up for you guys

OK, a couple questions about this.

1. How do you run the Marvin's AMD utility on the Mac OS X 10.5.1 update package? Where is the package located?

2. It appears you need a working installation of OS X to run Marvin's utility. I have never gotten a successful installation before zephyroth's, so I don't have this luxury. Is there any way to run this utlity, perhaps from the bootable DVD?