New AMD DVD for leopard

max33

2,431 posts in this topic

That was directed specifically at bballs, I thought I'd heard that Dual Core AMD Processors experienced crashes once in the OS, it has nothing to do with those of you not able to boot into the OS period.
I haven't had a random or seemingly network related freeze since using cpus=1 . 3 hours and counting, i would have rebooted 10 times by now without it.
Damn, iPhoto crashes when trying to import photos and iMovie crashes immediately when launched.
I haven't tried iLife, but iWork is not currently working. Getting basically this message in the console for all iwork 08 apps. They usually stop responding while loading, but sometimes will partially be displayed.11/28/07 11:03:08 PM Pages[282] invalid context 11/28/07 11:03:08 PM Pages[282] invalid pixel format

well.. hexidecimal.. no dual core amd processors such as mine are fine.. my leopard install hasnt crashed once, i found all the kexts .. so now sound, and video is working good... nice res... still no timemachine, and sleep; idk if anybody knows how to fix this yet? also no QE/CI... anybody for ati cards? ;)

hi again guys!

i burned the image again today morning, burned it at full speed (18x) the first time (yesterday), now i burned it at the slowest possible speed (4x)....no "still waiting for root device" anymore...booted fine into the installer...was able to format the previousely ntfs formatted ata disk as hsf+ journaled using disk utility in installer and i'm installing right now :thumbsup_anim:

2hrs 12mnts left though...i'll keep you posted!

I couldn't wait till sat. lol. install went absolutly flawless. kernel panic on first boot, removed geforce and nvdresman kexts and booted fine. no sound on conextant HD audio. used azalia from uphuck 1.4a now it works but sounds like it's skipping. airport shows that it's available but system profile reports Broadcom 4311 (VEN_14E4 DEV_4311)as unknown. any clues on this? trackpad and internal keyboard worked for install and first boot. installed ps2 package from uphuck and it works again. we'll have to see tho. in my tiger installation it would randomly not work anymore either. graphics show core image supported, no quartz extreme on GeForce Go 6150 and not able to change resolution. idk if macvidia would make it better or worse. Time machine brings up some acpi window and won't allow me to back it up. webcam works for ichat but not image capture or photo booth?

My rig:

HP DV9210us on 160Gb WD Passport GO drive (modded to fit in the second HD bay, but more info on that later)

1.6Ghz AMD TURION 64x2

2Gigs ram

Conextant HD Audio (VEN_10DE DEV_026C &VEN_14F1 DEV_5045)

Broadcom 4311 (VEN_14E4 DEV_4311)

GeForce Go 6150 (VEN_10DE DEV_0244)

HP Pavilion Webcam (USB VID_0C45 PID_62C0)

Nforce 430/410 MCP51: _-NOT TESTED-_

GREAT RELEASE!!! Def. the best out there so far and the only effin one i've gotten to work using any of the thousands of "methods" out there

Hope this feedback helps, and if anyone has any solutions to get the sound/grapics/wireless up and running i'd greatly appreciate it. and does anyone know if this would install to my sata? I've got that damned nforce 430/410 MCP51 or whatever.i've given up on trying cuz it never worked for me in tiger.

@stang, i used an 80gb maxtor ata hdd, i didnt have succces with sata.

wondering does the rm nv* remove all the nvidia kexts ?.... and does anybody think that

that may help with enabling QE/CI ?, i have just the natit.kext installed and it works,but still no QE/CI.

well guys, im in leopard now :)

install took some time, but it worked and after the MACH reboot it booted smoothly into leo...

now i've got other problems...the leo disk isn't showing up as startup disk, only "network startup"...i tried to make the leo disk bootable by typing in these commands into the terminal:

fdisk -e /dev/disk0

update

f 01

w

q

reboot

well...after the first line...i get an error..."permission denied"...any ideas how to get this sorted?

btw. i'm a total neewbie to all of this!! used osx only real macs, and just for working w/adobe stuff...so i don't know anything about terminal, kexts and so on...but i'm doing my best to learn ;)

i just realized i didn't say that before: THANKS TO ZEPHYROTH FOR YOUR EFFORT!!!

hi again guys!

i burned the image again today morning, burned it at full speed (18x) the first time (yesterday), now i burned it at the slowest possible speed (4x)....no "still waiting for root device" anymore...booted fine into the installer...was able to format the previousely ntfs formatted ata disk as hsf+ journaled using disk utility in installer and i'm installing right now :)

2hrs 12mnts left though...i'll keep you posted!

You booted at 18x or at 4x?

Come on guys, I'm still getting "Still waiting for root device". What can be done?

Guest Snowski

Alright guys

I have a working Leopard install thx to Zephyroth for Leopard and Hexidecimal for the Vid card fix!

I just burned the ISO in tiger with toast and then booted with the DVD and my external USB drive (which had tiger before) without enabling my SATA channels. So this also works for testing on a external USB drive.

After installation I had the same nvidia related kernel panic as many other had. I tried a few things but the only method that gave me my res and CI/QE back was Hexidecimals.

I can't believe everything already works, well most of it anyway cause I do have a crash now and then but I don't know if its related to my dual core (which are both recognized but my CPU shows as unknown) or my Ethernet (it shows 2 DNS servers in config)

Also Time machine doesnt seem to be working.

2 questions: how exactly do I let Leopard run on 1 core only? by editing the plist with cpu=1?

and how to configure the Ethernet manualy?

I have the flat image too and will try to copy the language pack from there so I can run Leopard in my native language.

It looks bloody good and it's bloody fast, on my external USB drive? go figure, it's as fast if not faster then my Tiger install and this is on a old Seagate 5400rpm 2mb cache drive!

Thx all for the support and enjoy the OS if you(re running it.

@Elopedthougt

first type in terminal

sudo -s

pasword:( your password)

fdisk -e /dev/disk0

update

f 01

w (answer yes)

q

reboot

thanks alot!

so, if i understand this right, the sudo -s command gives you something like "admin rights" in windows?

i'm learning, i'm learning :) thanks guys!!!

i give up on this,...

can't get it to boot even when I do the fdisk route

I did it in tiger, I did it from the dvd nothing

congrats to all who had got this working

On my installation the boot files where missing .. So I had to add them to /usr/standalone/i386/ and then do the fdisk rutine to make it work.

Other fixes I have done that might help someone ells:

Itunes krashing when using Itunes store or importing files

copy QuickTimeComponents.component from tiger version. Path /System/Library/QuickTime

Ilife works fine after i updated to 7.1 with the apple updater

Adobe CS3 apps crashing at startup

You need to patch the files by using Adobe DSP CS3 US [k] (Universal).zip .. And this only worked from tiger. So you need to boot in to tiger and apply patches.

And now Leo works like a charm :) Thx zephyroth!

I tried so many times on my ASUS N2M32-SLI deluxe motherboard with SATA hard drive, it still won't allow me to erase hard drive volume with NTFS formatted or NOT. I even formatted the hard drive in MACDRIVE in XP, then the installer won't recognize the drive.

please shed a light on this, is it because of nforce 590 chipset?

Thanks!

oh damn...fdisk command worked in terminal thanks to riosoft's advice...but i guess something wnt totally wrong here...after the reboot, all i got was a blinking _ on a black screen...like before the fdisk...BUT if i try to boot leo now from dvd like i was able before, i only get to the install screen after some minutes....before that, i can see "BSD root: disk5s3" along with other stuff....but leo is on disk3s1...anyone any ideas what went wrong here, and how to revert this so i'm able to boot leo again?

i also tried to boot with -x (safe mode as far as i know) ....also proceeding to the install screen....

at the install screen, i also tried to set another startup disk....but the leo disk won't show up...

edit: found out now in disk utility at the installer that the leo disk now seems to be disk4s1 ....how could that happen? it was disk3s1 when i used the fdisk command....

edit again: found the terminal in the installer utilities...run the fdisk command now for disk4s1...rebooting now from the hdd...and....wooohooo....seems to work!!!!

Ok guys this post is for anyone who has not Leopard boot working and are desperate. It's a long process because you need a working tiger DVD. Well as you all know Leopard doesn't installa Darwin boot loader so we have to take it somewhere.

This is what we need:

A pachted Tiger DVD (any version goes fine)

a pacheted Leo DVD

Well first we have to install tiger JUST THE SYSTEM because everything else will be lost. Install it on a partition, whose name has to be short. The shorter it is, the better is (ie: call it Mac, Leo, something short). After having installed Tiger, put in Leo DVD. Boot from it and open terminal. Write:

cd /Volumes/NAME_OF_YOUR_PARTITION

pwd (this command is to see if Leo has accepted the directory)

rm -rf * (with this one we delete everything in the partition EXCEPT the boot loader that we need to boot Leo)

Close terminal. Install.

To those who have problems installing. If you tell us that the installation stuck we can't help you. You have to open the installation log and tell us what happened. So WINDOWS LOGO + L and copy it here.

For any further information , just ask.