Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

I have my 10.5 running on a FDISK_partition_scheme

Two questions:

1. how do I convert a FSDISK_partition_scheme to a GUI_partition_scheme

2. What I have to to to have my 10.5 boot without giving -f every time on boot ? ( without it would simply restart)

if you have the ToH DVD, you can create one by booting into the DVD and using utilities tool...if you have leo already running ok, why would you need to convert it or worry about a GUI part...?

if you convert you current partition to anything else it will format all your data...

Leopard is up and running finally in my machine.

Still have to get everything working, but its booting, and GUID is def snappier.

I did not use the Kalyway Disc. Instead used patched Leopard dvd to make Guid scheme.

Then installed Leo, then installed EFI 7.2.

For EFI 7.2 I changed the instructions from Netkas blog. Instead of umount -f /def/diskXsY ( which i really dunno what that does) I went into DiskUtil and unmounted my drive, since you're supposed to do that anyway. Got the idea from OneTrack's guide on EFI 5.2. After that, everything went smooth. One question though, can I installed EFI 7.3 over it? Or do I have to remove it first?

For people having PS/2 problems. (usually laptop users). I tried the ACPIPS2Nub.kext and it works a charm.

Here's what I have to do next.

I think I have DDR2 667 memory in my Dell 1505, but its detected as 533, gotta fix this.

Then need to get ATI X1400 working.

And sound Sigmatel HDA if i:m right.

Probably a list of other things to do too, but thats what I have at the moment. Any ideas? Does the ATIInject work with X1400??

Nice guide ^_^

What is "Kalyway boot prepare cd" actually ?

How to use it - see guide, how to find it - see Post #13, what it is - hard to say.

I believe, we'd create a fully Leopard Vanilla Install DVD w/ efi patch.

If you read Onetracks instructions it looks like a piece of cake. But I'm just a terminal loser (although I understand in theory that you can be more articulate with typed commands than with primitive symbolic actions with the mouse). For example I read in Onetracks initial post about getting sound input support with an ALC888 patch, looked for it in my OSx86 install CDs, found one, installed the package and sound was gone. Then I read anywhere that this patch wouldn't work with external speakers, so I tried to make the Azalia patch work again. Followed the terminal instructions found in a wiki, but sound is still screwed...(I didn't do this on the main partition which still supports sound stereo output).

Conclusion: I'm not born to use the terminal. I better wait till a generous terminal wizard releases an easy going DVD or forget unpatched kernels.

I'm curious about the multiboot capabilities of EFI. Can 10.5.1 and XP live in harmony on different partitions? To my understanding XP creates a "master boot record" when you install it (so in the old times before EFI you had to install XP first and then OSx86). Does that interfere with the EFI concept? Do you need bootcamp or parallels to run XP?

cheers, pilsator

* Why is Kalyway disk needed in this process ? Mine doesn't boot on my machine ...

* Is this just to use for booting up and using Disk Utility to format it the disk with GUID partition scheme ?

* And the final question, anyone tried to upgrade to 10.5.1 yet - directly from the Apple ?

alright.... i just upgraded my chip to a core 2 duo.....got everything i needed( could not get efi v7,so i used v52 and the kaliway format dvd). I think there is something wrong with the brazilmac dvd i got.....i follow the instructions and when i get to installing brazilmac leopard to my leo partition i chose custom and deselect the font ,lang. and printer stuff as per the tutorial, 3/4 the way through the install it stops and says it can't install because it could not find or install the media packages or something like that (my hackintosh is at work, i only get to screw with it during the week)... is there something wrong with my brazilmac dvd? i installed toh (without efi) no problem.... i continued with the install as per the tutorial anyway and when i'm done it will boot up but it goes to a real dark grey screen and only the cursor is present and nothing else

any ideas?

I need to move Leopard on the other disk, so I choose to install it again.

So, here's the question(s):

I have HDD with partitons:

-Win XP (30gb, NTFS)

-partiton for leopard (50gb, HFS+)

-storage partiton (220gb, NTFS)

So, if I install Leopard with this method, can I be sure that other partitons will remain untouched? Of course, I want to use MBR partition table, and boot Leopard with chain0 method.

And, I want to use EFI. Can I use pc_efi_7.3 with MBR partition table, or I have to use 5.2?

Thx :wacko:

I want to know the answer to this also. Can you use pc_efi 7.2 I cant find 7.3 but I would use that if I could find it. Anyway Is it only for gud and grub partitions and not MBR (meaning not windows)? I want to figure out how to dual boot if I can get leopard working first.

I have the dreaded blue screen of nothingness. See my post a few back 0 responses.

Hopefully nicko we can use the newer pc_efi 7.2/7.3 and my blue screen can go away.

I have the dreaded blue screen of nothingness. See my post a few back 0 responses.

In your post, you mentioned that you were going to try a fix in Single User Mode, but you couldn't type anything. I replied right after that..

I have the same problem with my Dell Latitude D630... I cannot type in OSX or single user mode, after the installation (the keyboard works fine in the installation, though. You're using a laptop (Compaq C712NR), right? Have you tried a USB keyboard? That's the only way I can use Leopard ATM (Tiger worked fine).

See my previous post for a possible way to fix the problem.... I haven't tried it yet, though.

Did a USB keyboard work for you? It's not going to fix the Blue Screen of Nothingness, but it might allow you to use Single User Mode (assuming it booted... which it sounded like it did).

I have a Pentium D

Can I still use this install method?

and if not, can someone tell me what I need to do that is different (or give me links to the information!)?

Sorry to ask for all that, I have been looking, but honestly I don't understand this kinda stuff.

I would love to, but would need to find a bloody book on it or something haha.

Thanks alot!

I have a Pentium D

Can I still use this install method?

and if not, can someone tell me what I need to do that is different (or give me links to the information!)?

Sorry to ask for all that, I have been looking, but honestly I don't understand this kinda stuff.

I would love to, but would need to find a bloody book on it or something haha.

Thanks alot!

Ok I managed to install and boot up, I used a ToH kernel and EFI 5.2

The only problem I am having now is after the Leopard intro video I identify my keyboard, select my location and then when i select to not transfer my information from another mac, I get a standstill screen with the spinning ball cursor for a couple minutes, and then the video restarts and I am back at the beginning.

any ideas?

should I put back the brazilmac AppleSMBIOS.kext?

Great tutorial BTW however i cannot boot any version of osx86 DVD so i had to use the Flat file install method onto the 15 GB partition.. Can i use your method to finish my install of efi can the vanilla kernel?

System Specs

Abit IP35 Pro

intel ICH9R

4GBDDR 800

4TB Raid

Vista32

leopard 10.5 on external USB Drive

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: ACPI

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.45 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.09 GHz

Great tutorial BTW however i cannot boot any version of osx86 DVD so i had to use the Flat file install method onto the 15 GB partition.. Can i use your method to finish my install of efi can the vanilla kernel?

System Specs

Abit IP35 Pro

intel ICH9R

4GBDDR 800

4TB Raid

Vista32

leopard 10.5 on external USB Drive

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: ACPI

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.45 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.09 GHz

Well, I successfully followed the instructions and have a Booting Leopard.. HOwever it boots up to a dim Blue Background and goes no further..

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'll try Safe mode for now..

My Laptop is a Lenovo T61 with an GMA950 I believe.

hello guys,

this how-to is defenitly good, but i wanted your opinion on whether i should wait for "uphuck's" release... i mean is it really that much better? i have time and am not rushed, so whatever will be best for my comp i will wait, i've been waiting for a while for the uphuck release, and i am prepared to wait more... but is it worth it?

cheers!

I want to know the answer to this also. Can you use pc_efi 7.2 I cant find 7.3 but I would use that if I could find it. Anyway Is it only for gud and grub partitions and not MBR (meaning not windows)? I want to figure out how to dual boot if I can get leopard working first.

Hopefully nicko we can use the newer pc_efi 7.2/7.3 and my blue screen can go away.

I just found out that the newer pci_efi works ONLY with GUID partiton table....

I rather stick with MBR for now, beacause I have Win XP as a first OS...

Edit: pc_efi_7.4 is actuall now :(

Wow, just wanted to say one really doesn't appreciate having Wireless working until you don't have it there. I finally broke down ordered a Dell 1390 mini-pci card off ebay to replace the intel in my hp. Let me just say, its nice to be playing World of Warcraft by the pool :(

Seriously though, pop the card in, the blue light doesn't light up, and it wouldn't connect at all till I removed the password off my wireless then put it back and everything was working fine. Assuming it just needed to clear the mac address from my old setup not sure don't really care its working.

My Current Setup

HP Dv6226us

CPU - 1.6Ghz Intel Core Duo - Fully Working, I will be upgrading to a Duo2 cpu in the very near future.

Memory 1GB 533 MHz DDR2 Sdram - also will upgrade to max out too 2gigs

Graphics - Intel GMA950 - fully working in 1280x800 on the 15inch LCD screen, and 1680x1050 on my 22inch LCD threw vga out. Using Dual screens (And it also looks good using my 42inch Plasma as the 2nd screen in the living room.)

Audio is working threw internal speakers only, would like to get line out and internal mic working if anyone has any ideas on that.

SD Card reader isn't working, not sure if it will ever work.

EFI 5.2

Leopard 10.5.1

Running XP threw Parallels Desktop to play on Bodog poker

Adobe CS3 Design fully working

So at the moment I have about a 98% fully working Hackintosh Laptop. I really would love to get internal Mic working for voice chat, but it won't kill me if I don't. I was saving up for a Mac Book Pro 17inch, but this is working so well I think I'm just going to save alittle longer and buy the Mac Pro 1st then get a Mac Book Pro 2nd.

Update: plugged in a USB Keyboard/Mouse and successfully got Leopard up and running with EFI 7.2. One catch though.. No Audio and no Network. Video works great and ABOUT this MAC reports everything correctly.

Is there a kext or something I need to install to have my Intel Pro 1000 Card working?

My SYstem Specs are:

T7300(2GHz), 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, 15.4in 1280x800 LCD, Intel X3100, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn(n-disabled), Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet(Intel Pro) , UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion, WinXP Pro

If I fiddle around with efi/guid on a second harddisk - could that be dangerous for the oldstyle MBR-based systems of the first harddisk? I guess the answer is "no, stupid".

Do you choose the startup disk on a guid-based hack pro with Apples startup disk-utility?

I hope, Onetrack got some sleep in the meantime.

cheers, pilsator

Awesome.. Thank you.. Do you know where I can find that? Does it have to be a specfic version?
You can get everything you need from Brazilmac patch zip file in kext'sI just actually found a bug, or problem on my setup. For the 1st time I'm running off battery instead of plug'd into ac and its having a few issues. Sure I need a laptop .kext or something. Doesn't show a battery meter or anything.
Awesome.. Thank you.. Do you know where I can find that? Does it have to be a specfic version?
You can get everything you need from Brazilmac patch zip file in kext'sI just actually found a bug, or problem on my setup. For the 1st time I'm running off battery instead of plug'd into ac and its having a few issues. Sure I need a laptop .kext or something. Doesn't show a battery meter or anything.