Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

I was able to install Leopard without the Kalyway disc using EFI v7.2, and using GUID partition tables. I think you need the Kalyway disc when using MBR and EFI v5.2.

@anarchy_1024,

After see the pictures, I don't know what to say. You look like a GOD or something. ;)

--S

@anarchy_1024,After see the pictures, I don't know what to say. You look like a GOD or something. :blink: --S
LOL :DYeah... It took about 72 hours to boot, but eventually my 33MHz PowerBook 180 w/4MB RAM finally loaded OSX... Then it took another four hours to load the System Profiler. Don't believe me? Check the System Profiler specs in the photos. :P I know you're ALL jealous of this $4000 system with its top-of-the-line 4-bit greyscale graphics system, full 24-bit-wide address bus and 16-bit-wide data bus memory subsystem (IIRC), and massive 256B cache. :tomato: (pics above)

P.S. Funny. I am not happy at all after (kind of) successful installation. Maybe all the excitement is gone due to three weeks of desperation. Excuse me.

No worries... I know how you feel... I'm still trying to get a decently working OSX86 installation... Just feel like shouting, "It's about ;) time!"

Well, at least now you can say you have a :happymac:

But seriously....

Does anyone have any ideas for getting PS/2 keyboard and touchpad support working on an i965 chipset-based laptop? Specifially the Dell D630 in my signature.

I already tried the ApplePS2Nub that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Someone mentioned using the ApplePS2Controller from the BrazilMac post-patch; didn't work. I searched the forum, and found four other modified ApplePS2Controller kexts; didn't work. I also tried combinations of the ApplePS2Nub kext and ApplePS2Controller kexts; didn't work.

Repairing permissions and ownership after each one...

cd /Volumes/osx86/System/Library/Extensions

chown root:wheel ApplePS2Controller.kext

chmod -R 755 ApplePS2Controller.kext

...and then using the Repair Permissions function in Disk Utility.

I followed the guide exactly, I'm able to get Leopard to boot on my system, and USB keyboards and mice work perfectly. However, the internal keyboard and touchpad work perfectly in the installation. I tried EFI 7.2 and 8.0 for the heck of it, and although it works perfectly with USB devices, the internal PS/2 devices don't work. I also tried Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i R2 and that works, too.

I was not able to get the ToH 10.5 9a581 RC2 installation to boot from the HDD after installation. It gives a kernel panic almost immediately after POST. I haven't looked hard into getting this working, yet, because I want to run the vanilla kernel, ideally.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I also tried it after disabling USB Legacy Emulation in the BIOS menu, just to eliminate that as a possible conflict (I think it was mentioned somewhere to do that).

EDIT: On the Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i R2 installation, there's an option to install a PS/2 Controller fix. I tried that too, and it still doesn't work for Leopard. Works perfectly in Tiger.

im using a Toh build, and im getting this evry time no matter what:

"Error: Firewire unable to determine security mode; defaulting to full-secure"

and then

"Still waiting for root device"

I had my HD in Master, Slave, Cable Select, Secondary Master, Slave and Select, and i had it formated in Mac Os Journaled and FAT32 in sata and ide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

and then

I had my HD in Master, Slave, Cable Select, Secondary Master, Slave and Select, and i had it formated in Mac Os Journaled and FAT32 in sata and ide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

This is normal. All of my systems have this on the first boot. Well, those with Firewire, anyway.

Are you getting the error when you're booting the DVD? Or after the installation, and trying to boot from the HDD?

This is normal. All of my systems have this on the first boot. Well, those with Firewire, anyway.

Are you getting the error when you're booting the DVD? Or after the installation, and trying to boot from the HDD?

booting the dvd, before i can install it

Most likely your AppleSMBIOS.kext is old - did you remove the original one thats installed by brazilmac and replace it with the one from pc_efi ?

I've changed the APLLESMBIOS.kext file like you said, it now says MACPRO, but further down the list it now says its using a hackintosh BOOT ROM!!! which would you consider the best option then?

O YES The LOGO change is something else!!! I did this when i was bored one evening! :):( it has no impact on the change!!

AND !!!!!! Geekbench now picks it up as a Hackintosh where with the previous BIOS.kext it said it was a Dell DXP061??

Sticman

I've changed the APLLESMBIOS.kext file like you said, it now says MACPRO, but further down the list it now says its using a hackintosh BOOT ROM!!! which would you consider the best option then?

O YES The LOGO change is something else!!! I did this when i was bored one evening! :(:( it has no impact on the change!!

AND !!!!!! Geekbench now picks it up as a Hackintosh where with the previous BIOS.kext it said it was a Dell DXP061??

Sticman

how did you do that logo change?

I had my HD in Master, Slave, Cable Select, Secondary Master, Slave and Select, and i had it formated in Mac Os Journaled and FAT32 in sata and ide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

booting the dvd, before i can install it

The first thing I would recommend is to calm down... OSX86 is probably going to be a long and difficult journey, and things go smoother if you have a clear head.

You mentioned that you changed the configuration of your HDD, but did you do the same with your DVDROM? You need to make sure that the drive is set as a Master if you're using IDE. If you're using SATA, your motherboard may have different SATA controllers; try using another one (i.e. ICH8R + Jmicron). SATA ports connected to different controllers usually have different colors.

In the BIOS, if you are using SATA, you can also try changing the SATA operation mode from Native (AHCI) to Legacy (Compatible, ATA), or vice versa. And also make sure that it's not configured in RAID mode. And while you're in the BIOS, although it probably won't help with this problem, make sure that XD (NX) is Enabled, SpeedStep is Disabled, Virtualization is Disabled, HPET is Enabled. If your motherboard has extra controllers that you're not using, disable them. You can also try updating your BIOS (standard cautions and disclaimers apply).

What is the configuration of your target system?

Time Machine isn't working for me (PC EFI 5.2). Tried it a few times, no dice. Any ideas?

Have you applied the Time Machine Fix? It's near the end of the guide on the first page.

EDIT: TIME MACHINE FIX

To fix Time Machine, you need to get the modified file IONetworkingFamily_581.zip from the usual places,

unzip it onto your desktop, and navigate to /System/Library/Extensions - Right click or Command Click to show package contents. Then further navigate to Contents --> MacOS and drop the file there simply replacing the old one. You will be asked to Authenticate, enter your password to do so.

Of course we need to go into the command line again for proper permissions, open terminal and type the following.

sudo su [enter] put in your password when prompted.

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/ [enter]

chown root:wheel IONetworkingFamily

chmod 775 IONetworkingFamily

And you are done ! TIME MACHINE is now fully working

The first thing I would recommend is to calm down... OSX86 is probably going to be a long and difficult journey, and things go smoother if you have a clear head.

You mentioned that you changed the configuration of your HDD, but did you do the same with your DVDROM? You need to make sure that the drive is set as a Master if you're using IDE. If you're using SATA, your motherboard may have different SATA controllers; try using another one (i.e. ICH8R + Jmicron). SATA ports connected to different controllers usually have different colors.

In the BIOS, if you are using SATA, you can also try changing the SATA operation mode from Native (AHCI) to Legacy (Compatible, ATA), or vice versa. And also make sure that it's not configured in RAID mode. And while you're in the BIOS, although it probably won't help with this problem, make sure that XD (NX) is Enabled, SpeedStep is Disabled, Virtualization is Disabled, HPET is Enabled. If your motherboard has extra controllers that you're not using, disable them. You can also try updating your BIOS (standard cautions and disclaimers apply).

What is the configuration of your target system?

Have you applied the Time Machine Fix? It's near the end of the guide on the first page.

Yup, even went so far as to completely start the guide over and do a clean state, then do the Time Machine fix again, still no dice. Maybe I don't have a good copy of the IONetworking binary...

Any thoughts on how to get my sound working I tried the alc888 and alc883 patches but neither worked I thought they would for sure unless i am missing a step that is . . . (you just download then and double click on them let the installer process run once that completes you power off power on and you are done right?)

Does any one know of a plug and play sound card I can just drop in?

Hey Anarchy_1024 any idea why I can't boot in to windows anymore? I have it installed on a completley seperate hard drive and when i try to boot back to that hd the xp logo pops up then the computer makes a quick beep then goes back to the "loading ram, hd's ect black screen".

Is anyone aware of an OSX equivalent of a Windows batch file?

Would be very useful for simplifying all of the mistake-prone Terminal typed-in commands.

In Windows, for example, you could simply type "fix.bat" at the command prompt, and all of the commands inside of the "fix.bat" batch file would then automatically execute.

Is anyone aware of an OSX equivalent of a Windows batch file?Would be very useful for simplifying all of the mistake-prone Terminal typed-in commands.In Windows, for example, you could simply type "fix.bat" at the command prompt, and all of the commands inside of the "fix.bat" batch file would then automatically execute.

Yup AppleScript should work, or a shell script.

I still can't get Time Machine working. It says Error - Disk Not Found. I've tried reformatting the disk, as well as loading the IONetworking binary linked earlier in the thread (in the PC EFI 5.2 zip). I followed the instructions step-by-step multiple times, no luck.Also can't get audio working with HDAPatcher and codec#2 on my Bad Axe 2. But everything else works, haha.

But seriously....

Does anyone have any ideas for getting PS/2 keyboard and touchpad support working on an i965 chipset-based laptop? Specifially the Dell D630 in my signature.

I already tried the ApplePS2Nub that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Someone mentioned using the ApplePS2Controller from the BrazilMac post-patch; didn't work. I searched the forum, and found four other modified ApplePS2Controller kexts; didn't work. I also tried combinations of the ApplePS2Nub kext and ApplePS2Controller kexts; didn't work.

Repairing permissions and ownership after each one...

cd /Volumes/osx86/System/Library/Extensions

chown root:wheel ApplePS2Controller.kext

chmod -R 755 ApplePS2Controller.kext

...and then using the Repair Permissions function in Disk Utility.

I followed the guide exactly, I'm able to get Leopard to boot on my system, and USB keyboards and mice work perfectly. However, the internal keyboard and touchpad work perfectly in the installation. I tried EFI 7.2 and 8.0 for the heck of it, and although it works perfectly with USB devices, the internal PS/2 devices don't work. I also tried Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i R2 and that works, too.

I was not able to get the ToH 10.5 9a581 RC2 installation to boot from the HDD after installation. It gives a kernel panic almost immediately after POST. I haven't looked hard into getting this working, yet, because I want to run the vanilla kernel, ideally.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I also tried it after disabling USB Legacy Emulation in the BIOS menu, just to eliminate that as a possible conflict (I think it was mentioned somewhere to do that).

EDIT: On the Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i R2 installation, there's an option to install a PS/2 Controller fix. I tried that too, and it still doesn't work for Leopard. Works perfectly in Tiger.

There is apparently a "known bug" with PS2 drivers in Leopard, causing some erratic behavior in stock macs - especially after the 10.5.1 update. Keep in mind, the hardware of your trackpad factor in as much if not more than your chipset.

I am only guessing, but I think there is a conflict in the driver that causes the trackpad/keyboard to conflict with one another. Have you tried booting after deleting caches with only a external keyboard or mouse? Try setting the trackpad to be ignored if a mouse is connected and reboot with a mouse only.

Also, if it works on install, it means the stock kernel from the install disc will give the best result. Maybe extract it to your root drive as mach_kernel.toh and then use f8 and specify that name on boot-up.

I have so many quirks when I run anything other that the stock ToH install kernel its just silly. The only thing I have left to try is EFI... and I've not got up the nerve to do that just yet. Though, I now have a nice Time Machine back-up, so I might try it soon.

Anyways, your vanilla kernel seems to be doing a good job of acting like a stock MBP and exposing that ps2 driver bug!

I am afraid this may also be at the root of so many "wake from sleep" probs as well. :(

Here the same problem. Before i enter to the desktop, Leopard says it doesn't detect any keyboard, please connect one :) The trackpad doesnt work either.

Usb mouse works fine, but i can't access to the desktop

Any ideas?

EDIT: I almost forgot, is it necessary to apply the "9a581PostPatch.sh" patch? I haven't seen anything about it in this guide so i haven't applied it. Maybe this is the problem?

I have a laptop core2Duo and i think efi is working fine

i just ordered the Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 with a Core2Duo E4500 2.2ghz and Corsair XMS pc2 5400 2gb

cant wait to use leopard! i will be using this guide when my parts arrive :unsure:

i do have one question though, is there a working solution for desktop gma 950? i havent yet ordered a video card and dont really need a good one as i dont game. i figured i could use onboard until i decided. i also ordered a samsung 22" lcd so i realize im going to need a video card to support DVI.

also, did i make a mistake by ordering the 4500? is the difference between 800fsb and 1066fsb noticable? id rather not spend another $50 on the cpu alone, and with the current line of imac's running 800fsb chips i figured it would be alright.

Just Installed Leo on the system in my sig, on an empty Partition, using the PC_EFI guide stick, and then this guide. Using all vanilla kexts except AppleHDA, and added NVinject and removed AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement and I must say this is PERFECT! Everything works, even sleep. Updated to 10.5.1 no probs.

And I though my JaS 10.4.8 was where it was at, this rocks! Thanks guys!

No, you don't need post-patch process of BrazilMac's method. However, you may want to grap dsmos.kext from leopatch/ext directory of BazilMac patch (and AppleSMBIOS.kext from pc_efi) for post-patch of Onetrack's. Basically Onetrack's post-patch is a subset of BrazilMac's optimized to Onetrack's motherboard.

--S

You mean to replace those files running a shell in the installer? Because i can't do anything else :rolleyes:

Doing this, am i right?

rm -rf /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

cp -R dsmos.kext(from leopatch) /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R AppleSMBIOS.kext(from pc_efi) /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/