Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

ok, so i got leo installed on a Dell E1505 laptop using onetracks guide and substituting the efi v72 instructions from netkas blog. it booted up, then restarted by itself, then booted again and got past the apple screen. but then i got a no keyboard attached warning? maybe i need to repair permissions??

just want to note that this didn't happen b4 on my first success using MBR, only difference now is using GUID

thoughts?

help very much appreciated!

edit: negatory on permissions

planning to erase leopard, redo efi v72 steps, then reinstall leopard and replace vanilla kernel. sound like a good plan?

Few questions that may help all newbies out there...

1. Will this work with ToH patched with BrasilMac ?

2. What is a GUID partion and how do we create one.

3. Anyone used GUID with a Vista bootmgr on hd0 and hfs+ on hd1 ?

4. Anyone experiences Kernel Panics with ToH at reboot time after the install completes ? I get this right after AppleACPIPlatform - I don't think is a hardware problem, I had a 10.4.6 running fine. Will this KP go away if I apply the BrazilMac patch ?

5. How do we know if efi is correctly installed from a -s boot ?

TIA,

Q

i tried this this morning before work crossing my fingers but i encounter the reboot loop after installed the EFI ... has anyone figured out why it does this or could you tell me what causes this on my system?

i know p5w dh deluxe has had troubles but is that the issue? im running a e6600 core 2 so i know my requirements are fine ... im gonna try digitmemos guide after work but didnt have time this morning

let me know if anyone has had the same problems or what they did to fix this

thanks

i tried this this morning before work crossing my fingers but i encounter the reboot loop after installed the EFI ... has anyone figured out why it does this or could you tell me what causes this on my system?

i know p5w dh deluxe has had troubles but is that the issue? im running a e6600 core 2 so i know my requirements are fine ... im gonna try digitmemos guide after work but didnt have time this morning

let me know if anyone has had the same problems or what they did to fix this

thanks

Hi there,

I ran into this same issue last night. Finally it came down to a bios setting for the p5wdh mobo.

You can get the info from this thread here.

To summarize, you must toggle these settings in your bios:

Execute Disable Function - Enable

ACPI 2 Support - Yes

and Speed step - Disable

Hope this resolves your issues.

Hi there,

I ran into this same issue last night. Finally it came down to a bios setting for the p5wdh mobo.

You can get the info from this thread here.

To summarize, you must toggle these settings in your bios:

Hope this resolves your issues.

ohhhh mannnnn if that is the case you are gonna make me one happy camper ... i cant wait to get home and try this .... ill update soon

Hey Onetrack,

Excellent install following your guide. This thing is beautiful. I even got my wireless card (Netgear WG311T) working. Logged on to my WEP secured network with no problems, even after each reboot. Installed 10.5.1 update with no problems. Also updated my IntelGMA950 integrated graphics to get all resolutions and also audio using ALC888 Package.

Only one minor problem - I can't choose restart and have the machine do that by itself - it stays there with that circular image spinning non-stop. I have to reset the computer - Any idea what's causing that?. But whenever I reboot it comes up beautifully.

Thanks to you and all the individuals who provided some helpful feedback. Thanks also Stell.

I can't wait for the new guide with EFI v7.2 (Guid) - That's gooood. :D

Thanks,

SojasMAC :D;):P:D :D :D

Few questions that may help all newbies out there...

1. Will this work with ToH patched with BrasilMac ?

2. What is a GUID partion and how do we create one.

3. Anyone used GUID with a Vista bootmgr on hd0 and hfs+ on hd1 ?

4. Anyone experiences Kernel Panics with ToH at reboot time after the install completes ? I get this right after AppleACPIPlatform - I don't think is a hardware problem, I had a 10.4.6 running fine. Will this KP go away if I apply the BrazilMac patch ?

5. How do we know if efi is correctly installed from a -s boot ?

TIA,

Q

1. It should.

2. GUID partition table is what Intel Macs use. It will allow you to resize, extend and shrink partitions on the disk via disk utility

3.Have not tired but vista will not boot on a GUID partition. I have a feeling boot camp writes some special bootloader in to the bootcamp partition so if we can crack bootcamp to not check our boot rom versions we will be able to boot windows partitions

4.Im not sure

5. You have to start with a blank hard drive,to get a GUID partition you have to completely erase the HD as it is a new partition scheme.

Im thinking of making a disk like kalyways boot disk to install EFI 7.2.

Onetrack if you need help writing the guide for EFI v7.2, feel free to drop me a pm. I have a blank external hard drive i can use to test things out.

I destroyed my Leopard Installation and installed it on my Mini seeing that things are working better now. I was scared cause I didn't want to lose my Tiger stuff so after playing around I have upgraded Tiger without a hitch. I didn't feel like opening up my Mini and buying a new drive. My Hackintosh is just Windows XP Pro SP2 now fresh from an 80GB ATA HDD to the SATA II that the Leopard installation used to sit in. I love these forums, its cool to try stuff like this, I am pretty sure someone hacking around will stumble upon AI, and we'll have to kill that person.

mmm. i just did another reinstall and system boots just fine. but i still get no keybooard error. has anyone else encountered this on a laptop?

Yeah.... Dell Latitude D630. A USB keyboard/mouse works, but to get the built-in keyboard working, check out:

http://tgwbd.org/darwin/extensions.html and scroll to ACPIPS2Nub.

I have not tried getting it working using the information here, but I read through it, and it seems to be the answer/clue/lead to a solution to our problems.

Yeah.... Dell Latitude D630. A USB keyboard/mouse works, but to get the built-in keyboard working, check out:

http://tgwbd.org/darwin/extensions.html and scroll to ACPIPS2Nub.

I have not tried getting it working using the information here, but I read though it, and it seems to be the answer/clue/lead to a solution to our problems.

thanks. i'll try to check it out later tonight.

1. It should.

2. GUID partition table is what Intel Macs use. It will allow you to resize, extend and shrink partitions on the disk via disk utility

3.Have not tired but vista will not boot on a GUID partition. I have a feeling boot camp writes some special bootloader in to the bootcamp partition so if we can crack bootcamp to not check our boot rom versions we will be able to boot windows partitions

4.Im not sure

5. You have to start with a blank hard drive,to get a GUID partition you have to completely erase the HD as it is a new partition scheme.

Im thinking of making a disk like kalyways boot disk to install EFI 7.2.

Onetrack if you need help writing the guide for EFI v7.2, feel free to drop me a pm. I have a blank external hard drive i can use to test things out.

i_am...me,

you get around to finding out where to drop the 7.2 efi files on the kalyway boot disk?

i was digging around too, to see where to drop em, but have really no clue where it should go.

anyway, thanks for participating and helping out with all of this.

i_am...me,

you get around to finding out where to drop the 7.2 efi files on the kalyway boot disk?

i was digging around too, to see where to drop em, but have really no clue where it should go.

anyway, thanks for participating and helping out with all of this.

I was going to just make a CD as after making the drive a GUID i dont think you need kalyways CD at all. I need to make a .pkg to install it, im working on it though. but im also trying to crack boot camp so we can try and boot NTFS partitions with EFI v7.2

I never understood why people needed the Kalyway disk.

When I started initially I used diskpart from windows.

Also you can use fdisk from -s mode or even better Disk Utility.

I managed to get my 10.5 installed on a Toshiba Qosmio G35 Av600. ( Yet to get the graphics card to use 1440x900, make the audio work and then wait for a driver for wireless card 3945ABG)

Procedure is very simple - either you create your own dvd via the BraziMac script while using the original dvd or u can use one that's already made(ToHRC2).

1. I used windose as primary hdd and I had to install grub4dos and use efi 5.2

2. Install from dvd to a secondary hdd

4. Reboot, if KP on AppleACPIPlatform use the DVD to boot and do the following steps and/or use MacDrive to bring the files over to the MacOs drive via Windows(way faster)

4. Rename AppleSMBios.kext to AppleSMBios.kext_old

5. Add AppleSMBios.kext from PC_EFI_V7.2

6. Add vanila kernel via the original DVD

7. Add dsmos.kext via PC_EFI_V5.1

8. Rename AppleEFIRuntime.kext to AppleEFIRuntime.kext_old

9. Rename AppleIntelCPUPowerManager.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManager.kext_old

10. rebuild extensions rights and access with chmod and chown on /System/Library/Extensions/

11. Clear the extension cache

It seems that the Geekbench reports it still a hackintosh while the system profiler shows it as Mac Pro.

Now, the question is should I got ahead an upgrade to 10.5.1 directly via the Find Updates ? Will that kill me ?

Good luck!

Q

@ OneTrack

@ I_am...me

As told befor this how to works great with boot v52

Now about the future v7 and GUID.

Althoght ppl reports success i am desapointed

Apparently efi boot_v72 is incompatible with BAD AXE 2 nice mobo.

Installed boot loader into clean HDD partitioned GUID and formated with DU. Followed carefully and double checked as per netkas instructions article

Sseems that boot loader instals ok as it returns in terminal, after enter, the usual lines.

Partitions mounted and unmounted when indicated to install boot1h and boot0.

Once rebooted to check if appears error "com.App.....plist", system bypass the GUID HDD and starts the next available HDD system in bios that is a dual boot xp/tig.

Can anyone give me an opinion here of whats going on with my install?

I have successfully Prepped the HD using the Make Bootable Disc. I also created and burned my Brazilmac DVD.. After I prep the HD and boot into the Patched DVD.. It gets to a point where I get the Gray Apple Logo and the spinning icon in the center.. No further disk activity and no CDROM Activity.. It'll sit there for eternity.

I've tried it on 2 difference PC's. One of them being the same PC that I currently have a successful 10.4.8 Install on.. (I replaced the HD).

I suspect my Patched DVD Image but I've burned it a few times using different brand Media..

@ OneTrack

@ I_am...me

Installed boot loader into clean HDD partitioned GUID and formated with DU. Followed carefully and double checked as per netkas instructions article

Sseems that boot loader instals ok as it returns in terminal, after enter, the usual lines.

Once rebooted to check if appears error "com.App.....plist", system bypass the GUID HDD and starts the next available HDD system in bios that is a dual boot xp/tig.

I was experiencing the same problem with my install, then I realised I missed an important step, in my eagerness I overlooked the "umount -f /dev/diskxsY command, and after completing the first two steps I had to type "Exit" to free up the disk so I could unmount it in Disk Util so I could do the third command.

I rebooted and it gave me /com.apple.boot.plist couldn’t be found error, so I am currently installing Leopard again, I will report back on how it went...(Although I do not use a Bad Axe Mobo, I wanted to point out my stupidy in the hope it might help)

@ OneTrack

@ I_am...me

last night on irc, someone, i think it was daan, made note that the latest bios for the bad axe 2 mobo's do indeed fail to work with efi 7.2. could you check and see which bios you are using?

Well, I got it to boot with GUID disk

6o2hbq0.png

Just a quick question for the smarter types out there...with the new GUID, do I still need to have dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext installed...

I installed both, but was wondering if both were needed, and for everyone who wants to try, I agree with previous posts, it does seem much faster and more responsive.

Many thanks to the very very smart peeps out there :P

and my Xbench Score went from 125 to 138 :)

Bah, my Bad Axe 2 is in the mail to me as I type :P

hah, yeah, mine just arrived yesterday. the rest of the parts should be here today. the funny thing is, i paid the premium price for this board since it is/was the one that EVERYONE recommended for 100% compatability (save for the audio fix). but i guess that was pre-efi 7.2.

ahh well, like with most of the hardware used here, it will be fixed or a work around will be found..... i hope.

**as a side note, efi 7.2 does not currently allow bootcamp or dual booting to xp or vista, correct? if i stuck with efi 5.2 would i still be able to install bootcamp or dual boot to xp or vista?