Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

IRC chat. its on netkas.org

use colloquy to get on

FYI you will need another HD to install the bootloader.

since you have to completely wipe the hard drive since it has to write a GUID partition map.

And at this time you cannot boot windows partitions. we need to crack boot camp so we...

So, I_am...me,

In your signature you specify a leopard build (created by you) that you used. Did you primarily use this guide to get everything setup? Where did you, in the course of this (Onetrack's) guide, install the 7.2 efi bootloader? I will be starting with a brand new, virgin hard drive for this setup.

Using a Bad Axe 2 mobo, 4 gigs of 800 ram, 400 gig seagate barracuda hd, 8800gts, q6600 quad core processor.

Thanks!

So, I_am...me,

In your signature you specify a leopard build (created by you) that you used. Did you primarily use this guide to get everything setup? Where did you, in the course of this (Onetrack's) guide, install the 7.2 efi bootloader? I will be starting with a brand new, virgin hard drive for this setup.

Using a Bad Axe 2 mobo, 4 gigs of 800 ram, 400 gig seagate barracuda hd, 8800gts, q6600 quad core processor.

Thanks!

Here is how I did it

1- Started out with a completely empty hard drive that i erased with parted magic.

2- Started up my 10.4.9 on the external HD and partitioned my internal HD with the partition tab in Disk Utility with a GUID scheme.

3-Unmounted the partition i created and installed EFI v7.2 on the blank drive.

4-Rebooted to make sure it was successful, you can tell if it says " com.apple.boot.plist not found"

5-Installed 10.4.10

6-Installed 10.5

7-Booted back in to 10.4.9 used pacifist to install 10.5.1 update then booted and set up leopard...

Note:

So far there are 10 confirmed people on the forum running 10.5.1 - please read through for various board issues and how they were overcome ...

OneTrack,

Have you tried dual boot yet? What is the advantage of grub in v7?

I had to wipe out my drive and I will be re-installing via your process again (I don't forsee any problems due to your excellent guide and my previous install).

I have already installed Windows XP and I plan to do the following. Please review and advise if you see any problems with this.

1) Make second 10G partition following to installed Windows XP pro.

2) Install OSX86 10.5.0 using your method.

3) Install secondary kext and 10.5.1 update.

4) Copy Chain0 file from /usr/standalone/i386

5) Reboot with Windows XP CD, repair using fixmbr

6) OSX MBR will be replaced with Windows XP

7) Copy chain0 to c:\

8) edit BOOT.INI to add C:\chain0="Mac OS X86"

9) reboot

I will keep you guys posted if this works.

Thanks.

heya, efi newbie here. i actually got leopard running using this guide up to the bootfix section. but onetrack's guide seems alot better so going to try it instead. just had some questions really.

1. can i get it up and running without the kalyway disc? with the last guide, i ended up using the leopard diskutil to partition HFS+ on MBR
  2. if i wanted to dual boot with say ubuntu linux, would i install that first or after? (i think i read some where that HFS+ needs to be the first partition, maybe thats only for guid?)
  3. which brings me to...i know XP needs MBR, but can ubuntu be booted off guid?
  4. and finally, which version of EFI should i use? i have v6, 7, 7.1 someone in the irc channel told me to stick with v6 because things become difficult if i didn't know what i was doing, but if someones got a box running with v7+ and could share how they did it, i would love to learn!

Thanks in advance!

heya, efi newbie here. i actually got leopard running using this guide up to the bootfix section. but onetrack's guide seems alot better so going to try it instead. just had some questions really.
  1. can i get it up and running without the kalyway disc? with the last guide, i ended up using the leopard diskutil to partition HFS+ on MBR
  2. if i wanted to dual boot with say ubuntu linux, would i install that first or after? (i think i read some where that HFS+ needs to be the first partition, maybe thats only for guid?)
  3. which brings me to...i know XP needs MBR, but can ubuntu be booted off guid?
  4. and finally, which version of EFI should i use? i have v6, 7, 7.1 someone in the irc channel told me to stick with v6 because things become difficult if i didn't know what i was doing, but if someones got a box running with v7+ and could share how they did it, i would love to learn!

Thanks in advance!

Stick with v6, un less you dont mind starting from scratch all over again and if you have a external hd or other hardrive

Ok I now have my sound working on my Bad Axe 2

I followed what jngletiger_im posted, ill try to make it a little clearer.

1. I went and downloaded Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

2. Then I burned the image file with Disk Utility on a CD-R

3. Put in my USB Thumb Drive which I named 'USBDRIVE'

4. Booted up the disc and selected the first option, (Start or Install Ubuntu)

-When it started i heard my speakers make a start up sound, so this was a good sign.

5. I went to Applications (At the top in the bar) and selected terminal.

6. In terminal I: cd /proc/asound - after it got to the directory i typed: 'ls' to see what was in the dir and i Saw card0 -good-

7. cd card0

8. do an 'ls' [enter] and make sure you see codex#2 in there. Its there? -good-

-now lets copy it to our USB Thumb Drive

9. type sudo cp -R codec#2 /media/YourUSBsName [enter]

10. restart manually eject the disc, boot into leopard.

11. now on the desktop go into your usb thumb drive and drag the codec#2 to the desktop.

12. drag the codec#2 on top of the AppleHDA Patcher 1.16 icon, it will open, type in your password, wait for it to finish.

13. reboot

Search the forums for AppleHDA Patcher 1.16 and you'll find it, sorry I don't remember which post it was in.

You now have sound. Goodluck.

Please let us know if Sound IN is working. Mine Does NOT.

A word about that mb....is my board....all works great...BUT AUDIO......even that is the same audio codec of GIGABYTE is not work with the patch......

The board has oc capabilities....very stable.....and SLEEP FUNCTION works without problems....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157113

Check out that board, it has the same specs as the Gigabyte that was listed, but can go up to 4GB ram via x2 2GB DDR2 sticks. Plus it's only $50. I think I might go that route for my next build. ;)

-Stell

Thanks for the awesome guide, Ontrack!

Just wanted to mention that I (finally!) got Leopard booting on my Dell D630 (laptop) using your guide...except:

The Kalyway HD prep disc did not want to detect my hard drive controller (in ATA or AHCI mode) on my laptop, so I used another computer to prep the HDD (an i865-based P4 computer), and then followed the rest of the guide with the HDD in the laptop.

Now, I just have to clean up the remaining issues... audio, graphics acceleration, etc.

One odd thing, though... my built-in keyboard and touchpad are not working in Leopard! They worked fine in the installation portion, but I need to use a USB keyboard and mouse in the OS. I haven't tried fixing it yet, as I had to go out 20 minutes ago...

Specs: (I think... I'll update it if I am incorrect)

C2D T7100

Intel 965 chipset, ICH8 southbridge (pain in the @$$ is get working)

nVidia Quadro NVS 135M (I think GeForce 8200-based...IIRC; no acceleration...yet)

2GB DDR2 RAM

120GB Hitachi SATA HDD

Optiarc DVDRW (detected, OK)

Toshiba Bluetooth (worked in Tiger, not working in Leopard)

O2Micro PCMCIA (pretty sure not working)

Audio (not working...yet)

Intel WLAN (not working)

Broadcom Gigabit LAN (not working)

When you said.....in your signature.....everything working.....did you include AUDIO LINE IN.....i have the same board, but audio only works with AppleAzalia....AUDIO OUT only.

Could somebody please tell me which IRC channel I can find the download link for this Kalyway boot, or please provide me with a URL via PM? I cannot download this via Bittorrent.
In my second (backup) machine, with an Intel 865PERL BOARD + P4 (SSE3 478PIN), Im running EFI with 10.4.11 without problems.
Has anyone had success running EFI on a non-Intel chipset board? In particular: VIA chipset socket 775 boards. A separate thread mentions success running Leopard on an ASRock DualVSTA (VIA chipset) board, but not EFI.Also, from what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any mention of EFI functioning whenthe CPU is less than a C2Duo CPU. Such as my SSE3 Celeron 356.What makes the C2Duo capable of running EFI, but the Celeron 356NOT capable? Could you install EFI with a C2Duo CPU, then later swap out toa Celeron 356 and still retain the EFI function?

Did you have AUDIO IN working....i have the same board....

Works Perfect for me!

First i have Install 10.5.1 Flat Image! Then Install EFI from Uphuck

Leo 10.5.1 updated via Software Update!

Leo Rocks

Mainboard: Asrock Conroe1333

Cpu: Core2Duo e4400 @ 2400 Ghz (OC)

Ram: 2GB Dual Channel ddr2

GMA 950 works Perfect

Fast as hell!

Hi Everyone :)

As you can probably well imagine I am overwhelmed with all the support from everyone - thank you and I hope you're having a great time with your new macs :)

Please also keep in mind that I am trying to help many people now and I'm getting a bit overloaded :wacko:

While I don't mind at all (keep sending those im's and pm's guys) please read the forums first as sometimes I'm answering the same questions over and over - I should really make up a faq.

Anyways - I love how this forum has grown - and thanks to Stella and everyone here for the great support you're giving to each other - keep up the great work.

Now I'm gonna go lay on the couch for a couple hours. :)

must - get - away - from - forum - for - awhile.

Cheers all..

PM me please if you've got a successfull build and if any issues you had to overcome, Stellarollas been testing 7.2 and its probably getting to that time that I've updated the guide.

must - sleep..

Hey guys. Looks like the guide will be changed soon enough with the release of PC_EFIv71 or v72. I'm booting from a GUID partition and not a Master Boot Record partition. It's great stuff! So this means you won't need the Kalyway disc anymore if you're upto date with PC_EFIv71-???.

So now all you'll need is:

-Brazilmac patched Leopard dvd

-USB thumb drive loaded with the necessary kexts and pc_efi

All the directions for loading pc_efi are on http://netkas.org

You will still need dsmos.kext to boot and everything else like usual. Just this time you make the HDD, HFS+ in the Leopard install Disk Utility.

Be good as always everyone,

-Stell

Hey guys. Looks like the guide will be changed soon enough with the release of PC_EFIv71 or v72. I'm booting from a GUID partition and not a Master Boot Record partition. It's great stuff! So this means you won't need the Kalyway disc anymore if you're upto date with PC_EFIv71-???.

So now all you'll need is:

-Brazilmac patched Leopard dvd

-USB thumb drive loaded with the necessary kexts and pc_efi

All the directions for loading pc_efi are on http://netkas.org

You will still need dsmos.kext to boot and everything else like usual. Just this time you make the HDD, HFS+ in the Leopard install Disk Utility.

Be good as always everyone,

-Stell

It should be updated with v 7.2 since that one doesn't require GRUB.

and congrats on getting GUID, it really is great, we just need to get windows partitions to boot.

If anyone needs any help i would also be glad to take PM's also just so onetrack can relax a bit

Also another note for PC_EFIv72. My Xbench score has increased enough to say guid is part of the reason.

I've been bumped from 154.25 to 163.62. Which is a pretty good difference. The hdd speed was the one that seemed to have changed.

Check it out...

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=254336

BTW, I wrote in the improper hdds I'm using. I'm using a WD Raptor for these tests, not the Seagate. :thumbsup_anim:

-Stell

Also another note for PC_EFIv72. My Xbench score has increased enough to say guid is part of the reason.

I've been bumped from 154.25 to 163.62. Which is a pretty good difference. The hdd speed was the one that seemed to have changed.

Check it out...

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=254336

BTW, I wrote in the improper hdds I'm using. I'm using a WD Raptor for these tests, not the Seagate. :D

-Stell

I too noticed that my system is more snappy. I think that OS X is more built for running on GUID partions

In my second (backup) machine, with an Intel 865PERL BOARD + P4 (SSE3 478PIN), Im running EFI with 10.4.11 without problems.

Very interesting. Maybe the real "requirement" for enabling EFI is only an SSE3 CPU, and not necessarily a CD/C2D CPU?

If someone has access to several varieties of socket 775 CPU's, it should be worthwhile finding out exactly where the "cut off"

point occurs, as far as the ability (or inability) to run OSX with the emulated EFI bios.

Stick with v6, un less you dont mind starting from scratch all over again and if you have a external hd or other hardrive

I pretty much have no choice. I needed internet at work yesterday so I formatted and put ubuntu back on the laptop (Dell E1505). Do you think I could just install leo on top of that? Or should I just start from beginning and make leo the first partition, then install ubuntu afterward?

Is an extra HDD needed for efi v7???

so, just out of curiosity, i was thinking. with this efi + vanilla kernel method. wouldn't that be the same as installing with retail dvd and then just appling efi??

correct me if i'm wrong, cause i really dunno what the brazil et al patches did, other than slim down the orig dvd and replace kexts, which just seems unnecessary now..

sorry for uber noobness

so, just out of curiosity, i was thinking. with this efi + vanilla kernel method. wouldn't that be the same as installing with retail dvd and then just appling efi??

correct me if i'm wrong, cause i really dunno what the brazil et al patches did, other than slim down the orig dvd and replace kexts, which just seems unnecessary now..

sorry for uber noobness

Brazilmac patches the original dvd for 2 reasons. Allows it to boot on a PC to install and also slims it down. I don't believe you can boot an original Leopard dvd in a PC.

Everything is still stock that gets installed to your PC from the "patched" Leopard dvd. So once you get that installed, you apply the pc_efiv72 and the designated kexts for your mobo.

-Stell

when i reach this stage ./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot_v5 [enter]

I got error "cannot execute binary file"

what i go wrong?

thanks

Not 100% sure, but make sure:

1. You cd to the correct pci_efi directory
  2. You replace rdiskXsX with correct drive / partition info (use 'mount' in terminal to ID Leopard drive)

Brazilmac patches the original dvd for 2 reasons. Allows it to boot on a PC to install and also slims it down. I don't believe you can boot an original Leopard dvd in a PC.

Everything is still stock that gets installed to your PC from the "patched" Leopard dvd. So once you get that installed, you apply the pc_efiv72 and the designated kexts for your mobo.

-Stell

Ahh, ok. Understood. So, I guess since I haven:t really found anything new on EFI72, we just install it like the previous versions? Piece of cake?? Thanks!

does anyone tried it on VMWare? I'm a noob here!

I tried it briefly with VMWare Workstation 6. Booting the Kalyway HD Prep disc worked fine. When trying to boot the BrazilMac Leopard install disc, the I following error.

*** Virtual machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset) ***

The virtual machine just suffered a stack fault in kernel mode. On a real computer, this would amount to a reset of the processor. It can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system, or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to reboot virtual machine or Cancel to shut it down.

EDIT: Running VMWare Workstation on Windows XP Pro 32-bit. C2D E6700, 4GB RAM (3GB available; 32-bit limitation)