Leopard Perfect Install

Onetrack

1,041 posts in this topic

Anarchy_1024 Thanks again for the help I just tried all of those but stalls at the same point/ Any other idea's? Could it Maybe be something with my bios?
Hello sdmac, I tried everything without luck, but then I booted with TOH´s kernel, it worked, but you have to repair permissions of this kernel in the terminal, if you are booting -s you can type in the comands to do itIn bios "asci2" must be on , don´t forget to remove AppleEfiRuntime, CPU Powermagement, for TOH´s kernel you don´t need dsmos.kext. You have to add it later, when you have updated to 10.5.1 with vanilla kernelDon´t give up, I had a hard week too, but now my System is running great..Good Luck !Greetings !Gary
I installed kalyway then brazilmac dvd then powerd down booted in to the brazil mac dvd went to terminal deleted the AppleSMBIOS from Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions then I coppied the dsmos.kext , applesmbios.kext, nvinject.kext to the Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions Then I chown root:wheel /Volumes/Leopard/System/Library/Extensions/ all three of those filesthen I cd /Volumes[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/Then I chmod -R 755 dsmos.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext NVinject.kextThen I rm -rf AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kextNext I went to disk utilities and unmounted "Leopard"Then I went back in to Terminal and did the followingcd /Volumes/Patcher./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s1 ./boot_v5Then i went back to disk utilities re mounted "leopard"Then I clicked the button to restore permissionsThen i restarted and I had an endless reboot so I went in to bios went to the advanced setup tab and changed the APCI mode from enabled to disabled and then I got a bit further and was able to get to the grey apple screen and that leaves me where I sit. I also can not find the AHCI or ATA; aka. Native or Legacy modes you speak of in my bios or the ACPI enabled, as well as XD (Execute Detection) enabled, Virtualization options disabled. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out on this stuff because I have no idea which direction to head. I also included a file with the kext's I listed above and used and the boot_v5 that I used as well I did not use the IONetworkingfamily.kext included in the file only the 3 that I listed above.
Hello sdmac, I tried everything without luck, but then I booted with TOH´s kernel, it worked, but you have to repair permissions of this kernel in the terminal, if you are booting -s you can type in the comands to do itIn bios "asci2" must be on , don´t forget to remove AppleEfiRuntime, CPU Powermagement, for TOH´s kernel you don´t need dsmos.kext. You have to add it later, when you have updated to 10.5.1 with vanilla kernelDon´t give up, I had a hard week too, but now my System is running great..Good Luck !Greetings !Gary
Anarchy_1024 Thanks again for the help I just tried all of those but stalls at the same point/ Any other idea's? Could it Maybe be something with my bios?
Hi sdmac, I would try to boot with TOH´s kernel..

@anarchy_1024

Thanks again for your careful thoughts. I don't know what to say at this point except "I really appreciate it." I just came back home to see your message.

The second method you suggested was what I was thinking recently, i.e. getting rid of DVD from boot process. I believe I can do that method if I have an extra HDD but I don't have any. That's why I tried avoiding it in all cost. Today I asked my friend if he has an extra IDE HDD (I need IDE for some reason) and he does. It will be available soon and I think I will try to see how things go. :P

I just ran the IsoBuster you talked about and compared with my BrazilMac patched ISO and yours (using the image you posted). Out of three different sections, the most important section, namely Mac OS X Install Disc x86, has a difference. The volume name of yours is "Mac OS X Install Disc x86" while mine is "osx86dvd" (Yeap, two osx86dvd sections out of three. I believe by itself this is not a serious problem but it indicates something went wrong). Also in "General" tab of "Properties" dialog box, the "Address" and "Size (Bytes)" fields are different from mine. (Seriously, Address difference is not a good sign at all.) What on earth. In the content of that section, I don't have Desktop DB and Desktop DF as well as ._Instructions and ._Optional Installs. (It is trivial, I think but still Address difference signals something important).

It's funny feeling because even though I suspected my patched DVD the most as a source of problem (after trying three DVD burners) and asked some people with the same motherboard about the patch they used and the errors they got, no one answered me. Now your image tells me something is not right about my patched DVD. I used my retail Mac OS X v10.5 DVD to make a DMG file. Then I downloaded BrazilMac patch 31 Oct 2007 version. I followed the patch process exactly (on my G4 Mac mini running OS X v10.5.1), which means I got errors during the DVD patching process caused by fseventsd deamon refusing to umount the mounted osx86dvd ISO.

I will try to patch my image again and see if I got the same "Address" as yours although I don't expect to work this time because I did this for god-knows-how-many-times-with-how-many-different-versions-of-BrazilMac. I will let you know.

Thanks for your thoughts and your PM. :D

--S

@chinasky

Thanks for replying to my question. I didn't install and never tried to install Tiger on my system. To be honest, I purchased the parts to install Leopard without lengthy installation processes. For now, there are few things I can try before resorting to your suggested method. If I am out of luck, then I will follow your suggestion and start from Tiger, hopefully with your help.

I really appreciate your offer and thank you very very much. :D

--S

The Toshiba A100s came in many different flavours... Some had ATI XPRESS200 chipsets, others had Intel 915 chipsets... There are at least 30 different versions of the A100... What's the part number from the bottom of the system? (i.e. PSAA0C-LE600F or PSAAKC-VA104C). It's usually on the same sticker as the serial number, near the top of the label, and it will have the same form as the example part numbers.
My Toshiba is the A100-159(PSAA9E-02P00RIT) (Core duo T2500,1GB,x1600 mobility 256MB)
I have a problem with this command:cp -R dsmos.kext /Volumes/[Volume Label]/System/Library/Extensions/The result is "Operation not permitted".
My pen drive was formatted with NTFS. Is it a problem?

@anarchy_1024

Thanks again for your careful thoughts. I don't know what to say at this point except "I really appreciate it." I just came back home to see your message.

The second method you suggested was what I was thinking recently, i.e. getting rid of DVD from boot process. I believe I can do that method if I have an extra HDD but I don't have any. That's why I tried avoiding it in all cost. Today I asked my friend if he has an extra IDE HDD (I need IDE for some reason) and he does. It will be available soon and I think I will try to see how things go. :(

I just ran the IsoBuster you talked about and compared with my BrazilMac patched ISO and yours (using the image you posted). Out of three different sections, the most important section, namely Mac OS X Install Disc x86, has a difference. The volume name of yours is "Mac OS X Install Disc x86" while mine is "osx86dvd" (Yeap, two osx86dvd sections out of three. I believe by itself this is not a serious problem but it indicates something went wrong). Also in "General" tab of "Properties" dialog box, the "Address" and "Size (Bytes)" fields are different from mine. (Seriously, Address difference is not a good sign at all.) What on earth. In the content of that section, I don't have Desktop DB and Desktop DF as well as ._Instructions and ._Optional Installs. (It is trivial, I think but still Address difference signals something important).

It's funny feeling because even though I suspected my patched DVD the most as a source of problem (after trying three DVD burners) and asked some people with the same motherboard about the patch they used and the errors they got, no one answered me. Now your image tells me something is not right about my patched DVD. I used my retail Mac OS X v10.5 DVD to make a DMG file. Then I downloaded BrazilMac patch 31 Oct 2007 version. I followed the patch process exactly (on my G4 Mac mini running OS X v10.5.1), which means I got errors during the DVD patching process caused by fseventsd deamon refusing to umount the mounted osx86dvd ISO.

I will try to patch my image again and see if I got the same "Address" as yours although I don't expect to work this time because I did this for god-knows-how-many-times-with-how-many-different-versions-of-BrazilMac. I will let you know.

Thanks for your thoughts and your PM. :D

--S

@chinasky

Thanks for replying to my question. I didn't install and never tried to install Tiger on my system. To be honest, I purchased the parts to install Leopard without lengthy installation processes. For now, there are few things I can try before resorting to your suggested method. If I am out of luck, then I will follow your suggestion and start from Tiger, hopefully with your help.

I really appreciate your offer and thank you very very much. :D

--S

Stravaganza,

I patched once the leopard.dmg file in my imac with leopard 10.5.1 and it didn´t work, i don´t remember exactly the error, but i had to patch the leo dmg file in tiger.

We are some people in this forum we have the same gigabyte board and don´t worry cause you´ll have your leo working sooner or later.

BTW, how did you configure your board to have 32 Mg of video? Cause in my board i only can choose 1 or 8 Mg...

My Toshiba is the A100-159(PSAA9E-02P00RIT) (Core duo T2500,1GB,x1600 mobility 256MB)My pen drive was formatted with NTFS. Is it a problem?

I never had a chance to do that far in installation process but I believe it's a HUGE problem. I would try FAT32 file system. Hope that's the reason for your error.

--S

Stravaganza,I patched once the leopard.dmg file in my imac with leopard 10.5.1 and it didn´t work, i don´t remember exactly the error, but i had to patch the leo dmg file in tiger.We are some people in this forum we have the same gigabyte board and don´t worry cause you´ll have your leo working sooner or later.BTW, how did you configure your board to have 32 Mg of video? Cause in my board i only can choose 1 or 8 Mg...

Thanks, chinasky, for encouraging me. :thumbsup_anim:

The BIOS does not have an option specifying how many main memory in *total* will be shared for video. It only specifies "how many *per* frame buffer to be used in shared video" and what you said is per frame video memory size.

If you use Kalyway's "Make Boot HD for Leopard" CD to boot your machine and then use System Profilers to see the size of video, it reports 32MB with frame buffers of size 8MB each. I think there are four frame buffers in total.

Also turn on the advanced BIOS option by pressing control key and F1 key, then you will see another option for video whose value is 128MB although I cannot remember exactly what it was for.

--S

Well guys here is a pic of my rig that I have been working on can you see anything I am mission in my BIOS settings that is keeping my system from working. I appreciate any help anyone can give me I am stuck when I boot in -v Lats 2 lines say

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

(see Picture below)

-v boot mode this is where it stops

15.jpg

Start up

1.jpg

Main Bios Menu

2.jpg

>Standard CMOS Setup

3.jpg

>standard CMOS setup >primary IDE Master

4.jpg

>Advanced setup

5.jpg

>advanced chipset setup

6.jpg

>Integrated Peripherals

7.jpg

>power management setup

8.jpg

>pci/pnp Setup

9.jpg

>Frequency / Voltage controll

11.jpg

Pics of the hardware

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Well guys here is a pic of my rig that I have been working on can you see anything I am mission in my BIOS settings that is keeping my system from working. I appreciate any help anyone can give me I am stuck when I boot in -v Lats 2 lines say

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 5242 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

(see Picture below)

-v boot mode this is where it stops...

In your Advanced Setup menu, you I think should have Execute Disable Bit: Enabled; Intel Virtualization Technol: Disabled; APIC Mode: Enabled... Everything else there looks okay. I'm not sure if that will solve the problem (probably not...), but I think that's how the settings should be... If I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Is it just me, or does that CPU fan seem somewhat small for a Core 2 Duo?

Hey Stravaganza - - This means you've got a bad burn of the Brazilmac disk - I ran into this a few times myself.. seems its picky on media or i just had a bad stack.

Btw - Congrats to all successes

Confirmed installations :

Onetrack, Stellarolla, Doug The Impaler, jngletiger_im, Macmaniac, flibblesan, Brywalker, bigvalboa, bigcletus, eleavampas, elfdood, sojasMAC, sticman, Ho11ywood45, Memphis2K, Replicant, SwissTurbo, Pepes01, Plas, abeltcb, rpmsquita, BJoestein, Chinasky, steadybootleggin, decilling, Yoshiko Washima, Weaksauce12 and any others I have missed.

Thanks for keeping this forum roaring - btw - Stella - Thats a great blog post, really good clear motherboard shots - nicely done !

-Onetrack

Hi there,

I got a problem. The installation process stops after "BSD root: disk1s3, major 14, minor 5" is shown. More specifically, I ran Kalyway's Make Boot HD for Leopard for my hard disc and then booted from BrazilMac-patched Leopard disc with boot option "-v". Then it stopped. It seems not to load any kexts. :( (I didn't know this before but from Onetrack's guide, I realize I should wait about 20 minutes for the installation screen to show up. Thanks for that, Onetrack.)

The logical set-up is, the hard disc has two partitions, one with size 19GB for the Mac OS X Leopard, and the other with 130GB for the user data (partitions are done for Journaled HFS+ with Disk Util in Kalyway's CD). They show up as disk0s1 and disk0s2 and the DVD is disk1 (reported by System Profiler in Kalyway's CD).

Any ideas? Thanks.

--S

Hey Guys, I'm totally new here. I have a t60 with Brazil patch Leopard install. I want to install EFI but I'm worried about hosing the install. I've looked through this thread but there is just too much information. is there an easy to install all of this without the Kaly cd? I'm good at commandlines. I only have Leopard on my T60, no other os's and would like to keep it that way. What should I do or which page should I go to? Thanks! You guys rock!

No sire..

You need the kalyway disk to prep the hd and setup the bootloader - trust me i tried for 6 hours straight to make it work without.

you need it.. plain and simple.

Hey Guys, I'm totally new here. I have a t60 with Brazil patch Leopard install. I want to install EFI but I'm worried about hosing the install. I've looked through this thread but there is just too much information. is there an easy to install all of this without the Kaly cd? I'm good at commandlines. I only have Leopard on my T60, no other os's and would like to keep it that way. What should I do or which page should I go to? Thanks! You guys rock!

Thanks Onetrack. I have everything setup the way that I like it on the T60, is there anyway to install EFI AFTER leopard has already been installed? Leopard is running, some of the Applications however, are not. I saw in another forum the EFI fixes these issues. Thanks for the response.

Most likely your AppleSMBIOS.kext is old - did you remove the original one thats installed by brazilmac and replace it with the one from pc_efi ?

Thanks for having me on the list, just one "Newbie" question.....

My system does not show that i have a MAC PRO but still does live updates!!???

Any reason why not?

Sticman

@anarchy_1024

Thanks again for your careful thoughts....It's funny feeling because even though I suspected my patched DVD the most as a source of problem (after trying three DVD burners) I really appreciate your offer and thank you very very much. :(

--S

I just finished reading through the entire thread (...dizzy...tired...416 posts... :( ...need...air...) looking for something that I might have missed...and there were a couple...

Someone mentioned that they were able to use a USB DVD drive to load OSX... Maybe that will work for you?

If you don't have a USB DVDRW, but you have a USB HDD... see attached photo... you can probably use the interface from the external hard drive with the DVDRW, assuming they're both IDE. This works perfectly for me...

So close I can almost taste it, any thoughts on this one guys?

I had that error once... I just restarted my computer, and it worked...

I'm guessing that this is an error from the EFI emulator, and that it's trying to calibrate itself to the system's timer...

Have you tried updating the BIOS for your motherboard?

Do you have SpeedStep disabled? Are you overclocking any of your components? Maybe try toggling some of your BIOS settings... I personally have not had to find a solution to this error, because it just went away magically, but that's what I would try first. Specifically, settings dealing with ACPI, APIC, SpeedStep, HPET... maybe AHCI, APM... (wow acronyms...)

post-141495-1197065347_thumb.jpg

Anarchy_1024 is the MAN

Thank You

I switched those things you told me around in the BIOS and then BAMM!~!!!! in to Leopard we go. Graphics card works, Internet works, USB Works this is awesome all that hardwork paid off

Thank you ONEstep for the tutorial and support

and another big thanks to Anarchy for figuring out the final problem now onwards to fix the problem

No sire..

You need the kalyway disk to prep the hd and setup the bootloader - trust me i tried for 6 hours straight to make it work without.

you need it.. plain and simple.

But yesterday I made it to install and update Leopard with pc_efi_v80 without the kalyway disk following Netkas´and I_am_me´s guides and yours from post 1(on a usb drive). I imported user settings from another installation (tiger) what seemed to cause some problems. So I deleted it, tried again, no luck today. Yesterday Internet worked, sound out worked with the azalia.pkg, I could change resolution by editing a plist file. So my experience is, that you don´t need the kalyway disk for a pc_efi_v80 based install.

Maybe it was just black magic yesterday, my first won battle against the terminal.

cheers, pilsator

Hi all, which version of leopard am i suppose to use for this guide? it says brazilmac on the guide but just to clear things out is there more than 1 brazilmac version? the image that i have now is osx flat image... thanks

As far as I know, there is really only one BrazilMac version (maybe there's one revision to the original), (Edit: Stravaganza has informed me that there are actually multiple versions under the same name. See his post below.) and that is specifically referring to a stock retail Leopard DVD that was modified using a script written by BrazilMac. The modified image is then burned back onto a single layer DVD. (I have never used Leopard Flat Image, but...) From my understanding, Flat Image is a preconfigured BrazilMac Leopard installation, and the image contains the layout of the hard drive partition, as opposed to the layout of the DVD. These are two different ways to install Leopard, but the guide was written specifically for DVD-based installation.

So there's no way to install EFI after leopard is already installed and configured?

It might be possible... If everything's working perfectly, and you don't want to bother reinstalling, why risk it? I haven't tried it personally, nor have I seen anyone else who has done it.

But yesterday I made it to install and update Leopard with pc_efi_v80 without the kalyway disk following Netkas´and I_am_me´s guides and yours from post 1(on a usb drive). I imported user settings from another installation (tiger) what seemed to cause some problems. So I deleted it, tried again, no luck today. Yesterday Internet worked, sound out worked with the azalia.pkg, I could change resolution by editing a plist file. So my experience is, that you don´t need the kalyway disk for a pc_efi_v80 based install.

Maybe it was just black magic yesterday, my first won battle against the terminal.

cheers, pilsator

I was able to install Leopard without the Kalyway disc using EFI v7.2, and using GUID partition tables. I think you need the Kalyway disc when using MBR and EFI v5.2.

post-141495-1197076635_thumb.jpg

post-141495-1197076700_thumb.jpg

@anarchy_1024, chinasky

Thanks a lot you guys. I bite the bullet and installed Mac OS X v10.4.3 on my G4 Mac mini which was running v10.5.1. Then I used BrazilMac patch (31 Oct 07 version) to patch my Leopard DMG image. The patch went a lot better (only single error message) and with this patched ISO, I installed Leopard on my system from DVD. I was also able to update to v10.5.1. Right now, everything works except the on-board video (resolution) and reboot. All the other components are working like deamons.

I really appreciate anarchy_1024 for your persistent support, careful thought and specific details. :)I salute you. When you said that "check if the DVD disc media is not faulty", I realized that there's no guarantee that I was using a working DVD. And your posted image convinced me that mine is no good. Oh, just so you know, there are more than one BrazilMac patch version under the same file name. The currently linked file (in his guide on OSX86 Scenes) is 31 Oct 07 version. There is ~11MB one two.

I also appreciate chinasky's comment on "patching the image on v10.5.1 system". :) You are right. Patching with the BrazilMac patch (31 Oct 07 version) doesn't work on Machintosh running v10.5.1. It worked on v10.4.3. BrazilMac didn't mention that in his guide but who can blame him. He popularized Leopard in this community. BTW, the video memory size under Leopard is 64MB.

I thank you both of you. :D

@Onetrack,

My DVD disc media wasn't picky but my Machintosh running v10.5.1 was. :P Thanks for your guide. I liked your guide but to be completely thorough, I have a few suggestions.

• As a prerequisite, you mentioned one USB flash drive. I don't know if it's true or not but if it is true, I would add "the USB drive should not be formatted as NTFS."
  • For patched files requirement, you mentioned dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext. I remember someone asked where to get them in this post relay. You may want to add "from (such as) leopatch/ext foler of BrazilMac patch and PC_EFI folder."
  • After pc_efi patch, you talked about repairing permissions. It would be nice to say that the unmounted Leopard partition should be mounted to do so.

I am not complaining or anything. I liked your guide and maybe those few words could save a lot of time of someone's. I thank Onetrack for helpful guide. :D

--S

P.S. Funny. I am not happy at all after (kind of) successful installation. Maybe all the excitement is gone due to three weeks of desperation. :D Excuse me. :P