Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

i was able to get network working again by turning it off, and back on again.

right now i'm sitting on 10.5.1 everything but sleep seems to work, and the only problem is that about this mac shows a core 2 solo, and only one active core, but activity monitor shows 2 cores (i think) (i have a core 2 duo)

I just thought I would through in my boot setup. I have Vista, XP, Ubuntu and Leopard all in one boot menu. I installed XP on partition 1, Vista on partition 2 and setup a 3 partition for Ubuntu. I installed Leopard on the first partition of disk 2 with the first drive unplugged so I can boot straight into Leopard if needed by changing boot order. Then I install Ubuntu onto the first disk and it

automatically installs GRUB and sets up a boot menu for everything but Leopard. All I have to do is add a entry to the boot list.

Hi people, regards my problem with kernel panics and VMware Fusion/Parallels I've done some tests - basically booting up and trying to fill up my memory.

Using activity monitor it I've noticed the following:

4gb Dual Channel = kernel panic at 3gb memory used.

3gb non dual channel = no kernel panic at 3gb memore used.

It looks like that is what is causing things to panic for me when using the memory intensive emulators.

This issue has been discussed before on this thread but I was under the impression it only occured when the JMicron (orange) Sata ports were being used/enabled. I have disabled these ports in BIOS and deleted the JMicronATA.kext file. It appears to me that this mobo cannot use 4gb without a problem arising when filling up 3gb+ of system memory.

:D

Anyone know if I will notice a perormance hit as I'm now not using my memory in Dual Channel mode. I may try getting 2 x 512gb to max out my possible speed options with 3gb.

Uncle Pinny

Again, JMicron controls purple ports, not the orange.

Next, as i've told you before, additionally to that, you have problem in memory setup (due to the fact, that you use two different kits - from different manufacturers). I am almost certain now, since as you say, the problem persists.

My little advice, to be 100% sure do the tests in the following order:

1)Ensure, that you have deleted the JMicronATA.kext

2)Rebuild kextcache, repair permissions

sudo -s
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
diskutil repirpermissions /

3)Shutdown

4)Install only a kit of two rams from same manufacturer in to the banks [0],[2] (you'll have 2Gigs)

5)Switch on PC, upon boot F8 ->

enter

-v -f

6)Check your system

7)Shutdown again, install second kit in to the banks [1], [3]

8)Test again, if system goes down -> Shutdown again, swap the memory and boot up.

9) Meet me here with results ;-)

You will be able to fully use 4x1gb, as long as the assumption that the JMicron is responsible correct :D

It didn't came from my head, and unfortunately, i don't have 4gigs to test it...

Ok - I'll test it tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. ;)

- Sabr.

Looking forward to the results. Personally I'm not convinced the 4gb thing is reliant on the JMicron thing as mine is disabled and the same results happen after I have followed Ghost's instructions (thanks again by the way).

I'd rather not have to buy 2gb of new memory (same manufacturer as my current lot) before knowing if this is the case. If in fact the board and leopard can't handle the 4gb then I'll get 2x512mb and utilise the 3gb running at Dual Channel.

Well - I'm sorry to say, but I don't think it's the JMicronATA.kext... :censored2:

I loaded up loads of 10000x10000 (@9999 DPI) files in Photoshop and rendered clouds into them. If I had done this with JMicronATA.kext installed, the RAM would've been used up really quickly. However, after every file I made, the used RAM wouldn't go above ~2.5GB... I was struggling to get above 2.5GB.

So I had to load up loads of other programs, movies, etc... I saw it had finally hit 3GB. Not much further to go...

I started loading up some more apps, and then suddenly it crashed. It was inactive. The cursor wouldn't move, or anything. Just a frozen screen. Unfortunately, Activity Monitor was behind an application, so I didn't manage to see how much RAM was used up. :)

I will try again tomorrow.

The strange thing is that I was finding it incredibly hard to use up 3.2GB + of RAM... =/

Well - I'm sorry to say, but I don't think it's the JMicronATA.kext... ;)

I loaded up loads of 10000x10000 (@9999 DPI) files in Photoshop and rendered clouds into them. If I had done this with JMicronATA.kext installed, the RAM would've been used up really quickly. However, after every file I made, the used RAM wouldn't go above ~2.5GB... I was struggling to get above 2.5GB.

So I had to load up loads of other programs, movies, etc... I saw it had finally hit 3GB. Not much further to go...

I started loading up some more apps, and then suddenly it crashed. It was inactive. The cursor wouldn't move, or anything. Just a frozen screen. Unfortunately, Activity Monitor was behind an application, so I didn't manage to see how much RAM was used up. ;)

I will try again tomorrow.

The strange thing is that I was finding it incredibly hard to use up 3.2GB + of RAM... =/

Exactly the same for me. The best way I could find to eat up the memory was to use VMware Fusion running XP and then copy a big ass file from my osx desktop to the pc desktop. Plus run lots of QT's and open up lots of photos in Photoshop. Mine crashes as soon as it gets to 3gb. System locks up, sound loops (if Itunes is open). Again, I have no JMicron loaded or enabled in the BIOS.

Everything however runs sweet if I pop in a single 1gb into one of the exrta slots (making 3gb total non dual channel system ram opposed to 4gb dual channel). If I do that then I cannot for the life of me get a crash. Solid as a rock....

Odd...

Sabr, Uncle_Pinny

Hmm... if you are right Sabr, it is not good at all =(

I'll grab some more ram from my friends, hopefully. And will try to do some major testing.

Ok guys, I did some research because I was slightly puzzled as to why you thought it was related to the JMicronATA.kext...

You guys need to have a read here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6082529

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36970

http://www.polywell.com/us/support/faq/4GB_Rev1.pdf

Seems like it is chipset related... The only problem I have here is that I thought OS X Leopard is a 32-bit AND 64-bit operating system in one? Plus, the 965 chipset can support up to 8GB of RAM.

That said, what I want to know is why it always seems to crash after reaching 3.2GB+... Why crash at all? Shouldn't it just come up with low memory errors, etc...?

Sabr. I do not think it is a chipset related. I knew of the issues you provided links to.

First of all, new MacBooks Pro and iMacs support up to 4 gigs of ram directly from apple.

Second, i already wrote here about 3.2Gb limitation.

About last link, since our board support up to 8gb natively, and i do believe leopard is native 64-bit that is not an issue. Additionally, think of a mac pro with more than 4gigs of ram and tiger installed.

And one more thing - neither windows, nor linux crashes upon getting to the limit of 32-bit system. I don't believe it's OSX problem.

Hi, i tried to install iatkos 10.5.1 (just because its half of the size than other iso & internet is freaking slow here in Malaysia!) but no go. I will only get to the apple picture, with the spinning thing below it. After a minute, there's that problem sign. Booted in verbose, it hanged at "blabla.. VIAATA SATA Driver" or something.. then I get the waiting for root device error.

In other words, I dont even get to the utilities, choose guid etc part.

My specs are as below:

C2D e6300

Gigabyte 965p-ds3 (duhh.. ;))

2 x 1 gb ddr 400 ram (i think its gskill)

two SATA seagate hard disk connected to the first 2 ORANGE port

1 SATA Lite-on DVDRW (I got this solely to try and install leopard..) on the 3rd ORANGE port

1 PATA LG DVDRW

BFG Nvidia 8800GTS 320mb

Some bios settings:

AHCI Mode

SATA Port 0-3 enabled

SATA Control mode: AHCI

Bios F11

Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?

@vassalle - same happened to me, i found that you have to put your hd1 in oragnge sata1 jack and your dvd on the orange on sata2. Thats all.

Guys we NEED to make a new thread with iatkos so we can share experiences with initial settings. Just a thought.

Respect.

anibalin

No, we do not :-)

If vassalle or you have read closely the discussion, you both would have known, that ports 3 and 4 are not working untill some changes were done. Also, that some of us, like me, connect their HDD to purple ports.

You would have also known, that sometimes, DVD_IDE drives (like again in my case) do not work, so we have to use external or sata drives.

It is unfortunate, that Conroe Mac do not have so much time, as he had before for this. So the initial post has not been updated for a while, nevertheless we can continue discuss all here. There is no need to create more chaos.

If you use torrent, PM me please the link to the iAtkos (i hope it's fast), i'll try to test it as soon as possible. ;-)

Thanks for the tips A.I. Ghost.

Moved my sata dvdrw to the second orange SATA port --> bingo, managed to boot iAtkos DVD.

After reading thoroughly the business of AHCI sata and the inability of XP (that was installed not using AHCI) to boot with this setup, I chose to try and install it on my spare hard disk, a 35GB WD Raptor, and disconnected all my other hard disks.

So, Raptor on Orange Sata port 1 & SATA DVDRW on Orange port 2.

With AHCI on, I can't complete the installation -> the installation just hangs when it wants to install to the volume

Without AHCI (which is default) -> the installation completed, but it wouldn't reboot.. I forced reboot but to my dismay, i was greeted with the "error loading OS". I've boot using the ubuntu live cd and use gParted to check whether the bootable flag, which was there.

I didn't even bother to try install with the efi thinggie coz that might complicate things even further for my situation.

So now where did I go wrong?

Possible answers:

a) I just can't install OSX on WD

:) Raptor doesn't play nice with AHCI (it does make some weird sounds every now and then when the AHCI mode was on)

c) Wrong sata port connection again?

d) I've done something wrong to iAtkos so much that it won't want to boot on my hardware? :)

Any ideas folks?

anibalin

Yes it is the newest install guide. Also check the second link in my sig. Lone Wolf made some interesting points in how to install with my install script, but without having another system already installed.

vassalle

Try to connect HDD to Purple[0].

It also could be a problem of Raptor. I have never seen it being used in AHCI mode.

I do have WD drives - "my sig". My current install i'm writing from is on WD HDD.

Boot in verbose mode

upon system start press F8, then enter:

-v

and look for errors.

I cant say for sure, what's not working, since i have never seen the iAtkos.DVD. Personally, i don't like "multi-system" installers. Cuz, they are meant to work as best as they can, but sometimes, its not the best solution.

Okay, I have updated the post for the new iATKOS install method. There are quite a lot of how-tos and FAQs in this thread. I want to include as much information as possible. I can't update the first post all the time though, so I want anyone that has an important how-to or FAQ which should be included in the first post to send me a personal message with a link to their post in the thread and a title I should put the link under in the first post. Then each person can update their faq as needed. An example would be:

Conroe Mac happy happy install method

http://linktoyourpostinthisthread.com

Any text that describes your method which you think is important to help people looking for it should also be included.

This way each person can update their faqs individually and it will still be easily accessible from the first post. Also, send me a PM if you notice something that needs to be updated in the initiation installation post. I will update as often as I can. It is much easier if the information is sent to me ready to be published than reading through the thread myself to glean all the important nuggets. My apologies for being so busy. It's that time of year. I love you all haha, but I need to work and spend time with my family as well. Remember your family this time of year! =)

--Conroe

FavleX, the procedure will be slightly different with Kalyway. From what I have heard, Kalyway uses Netkas's efi emulation whereas iATKOS uses its own efi emulation. I will update the first post once I try the Kalyway DVD or someone else has installed with it and can write a How-To. I am guessing that Kalyway is similar in simplicity. If you don't want to wait, give it a try and report back.

anibalin: If you are unsure which to install, refer to the information that is displayed when you highlight the option. That is, if you select the line, a description will appear below which should help you decide whether you want to install that option or not. If you need further help, let me know. You need a Core or Core 2 Duo processor to run EFI emulation and you must select EFI emulation when you run the Darwin install script.