Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Leopard How-to (Updated 1/10)

Conroe Mac

412 posts in this topic

I do not have a Core 2 Duo so I cannot install with EFI. I guess I do not have the perfect installation. I am hoping to have Core 2 Duo one day, hence the name "Conroe Mac" which I created before there were Conroe Macs, but I do not have the money to buy the processor.

There is no "proper" installation. All of OS X86 is an experiment. The "proper" one is the one that works for you. =)

Let us know how your installation went.

..From what I have heard, Kalyway uses Netkas's efi emulation whereas iATKOS uses its own efi emulation..

Oh,oh I didn't know this, thanks for the info!

..If you don't want to wait, give it a try and report back..

Ok, let me finish the build And I'll be back. :rolleyes:

@Conroe Mac mine went okay mate, pretty nice. Stock kernel, natit and smbios. All nice and dandi. Tweaked the lan file as you posted (rev. 3.3 mobo), and to have a proper shutdown I have to start -v. I believe there will be a fix for that soon.

Have a nice day guys, cheers.

Anyway, just a quick update on my leo install..

Manage to install kalyway, with vanilla and efiv8. I installed it on my spare raptor hard disk on the purple (Jmicron) SATA port. Some initial observation:

- Lan worked out of the box

- Sound wasn't. But installing via the script took like 2 seconds..

- Graphics card full support (QE/CI) using Nvinject 0.20, although the VRAM is shown as 256MB in System Profiler (would this in any way coz any hardware damage to my gfx card? OR is it just an 'error' in reading the amount of VRAM?)

- Booting, restart and shutdown works as its suppose too

- processor recognised at the correct speed (2.8ghz)

Would very much appreciate some advice on the matters below:

- how do i 'enable' the 3rd Orange SATA port? I tried plugging in my hard disk in that but it's not recognised (works nicely if i plug it in the 1st slot).

- how can i install xcode (need to use the plist editor) without downloading 1.1GB from the adc website? (internet in Malaysia is slow!)

Enjoying it so far. Thanks for everyone, especially A.I for helping me out.

Ok I used the Kalyway disc and then setup the Lan like you said in the first post but LAN is still not working. I have it connected directly to my DSL modem. Something I find odd is that the Ethernet light is green the network light is green and the ISP light is green but Internet and Server are red? Also OSX is grabbing a different internet IP then my windows machines. My windows machine pulls .210 and osx pulls .221. I tried setting it staticly but that didn't work.

Hiz to all..

just stepped here to drop my specs and ask if i'm a "go" for leo.. i have the flat image plus the ToH 9A581rc2 disk but no luck..

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

CPU : Core 2 6400 @ 2,13GHz

RAM : 2gb

Disk : 200gb Sata working as IDE

VGA : Club ATI x1950 Pro

I've noticed from the huge load of threads about the 965p-ds3 mobo that it rocks.. ok got it..

I've seen like more than 4 methods using ide/achi and other methods with flatimage, installation dvd's.. man..

i'm so confused.. anybody can tell me what is the best way to work around all issues and install leo on my pc..

Thank you and sorryz'bout the n00b post.. i just can't figure out what must i do 1st,2nd etc..!

Bloodiator

Have you read through the topic? I'm really tired of repeating the same thing again and again and again... As we all. You could have read at least last 5-6 pages =)

Just check my signature, there is a link to my guide. Read through it - carefully.

Download the files i've provided to the flash pendrive, then instead of patching from working OSX installation in step "C", boot again into the ToH RC2 and continue.

Good luck.

Dougie085

Can you be more specific about the board revision and the bios version and what kind of DSL modem do you have?

OSX would have acquired different ip only if the mac address would have changed, because address is provided by modem, and modem remembers the ip lease to the specific mac - at least it should, if you did not set otherwise.

Btw, can you login to the DSL administration tool?

Thanks A.I.Ghost & Conroe Mac for taking the time to write down how-to's, very appreciated guys.

@conroe : with iatkos,:

imageskNs40753.jpg

Thanks for shreding some light on this guys.

Respect.

Which: both.

Needed: Yes

That is assuming you want to use vanilla kernel (You probally do) in which case you will need EFI. Remember: in iAtkos 1.0i, the actual EFI is installed BEFORE the Leopard install program runs. iAtkos also seems to install Netkas' dsmos.kext and removes AppleEFIRuntime.kext without prompting.

It's revision 2.0 I believe... might be 3.3 I really don't know how do I tell by looking at the motherboard? It doesn't seem to say there. Maybe CPU-Z will tell me I'll look at that. The DSL modem is ADSL2+ its a Zhone? I'm not sure about the administration tool I can't seem to find the right IP to access the dsl modem. I uploaded an image of my CPU-Z mainboard section. It says revision C2. I did the edit to the plist like mentioned in the first post.

post-89134-1198620569_thumb.jpg

Which: both.

Needed: Yes

That is assuming you want to use vanilla kernel (You probally do) in which case you will need EFI. Remember: in iAtkos 1.0i, the actual EFI is installed BEFORE the Leopard install program runs. iAtkos also seems to install Netkas' dsmos.kext and removes AppleEFIRuntime.kext without prompting.

both kernels? thought only one would be needed.

why? (just curious) wont the os use only one?

just three issues to fix:

-reboot doesnt work.

-shutdown: doesnt work (unless you start with -v)

-after sleep mode (when the screensaver goes off) sometimes, the OS gets funky. Mouse works, nothing is clickable and force quit cannt be opened.

It's revision 2.0 I believe...

Again, if you would have used search through the topic, you'd find out, that revision is printed on the board itself (in the lower-left corner - assuming, that the edges closest to the CPU are TOP/LEFT). :(

anibalin

For reboot fix, go see this post ;)

Both does not mean both kernels =)

Only first one is kernel, second file is needed for proper reboot (and sometimes sleep) functioning.

Just Checking in for the Kalyway 10.5.1 Install

Everything worked except sound which is a not a problem. PC_EFI V8 worked well with GUID. Cant compare iAtkos as I dont have the dvd. Sleep, restart works. Shutdown is a hit n miss. Overall a very good package. Highly recommended.

Has anyone installed this to an IDE hdd on this board via a SATA optical drive?.

I cant seem to get this to work on my rev 3.3 DS3P board at all. same rig is rock solid with vista and xp on the SATA ports. The ide is a spare 10gigger i have. Machine is E4300 (core2duo) with 4GB geil PC6400 ram.

On Kalways it all installs and then when booting it reboots just before X starts, just when it says starting Darwin/X. Just after the ACPI load. I have a (poor) screen-grab with my mobile if it helps?.

Unsure if its the 4GB RAM, the IDE HDD or what thats the issue :-(

-x -s -f -v -legacy does NOT help

edit: installed to a SATA drive now. something clearly not working as its not helping, i'm going to give up for now before I go insane... will try some other day.

Again, if you would have used search through the topic, you'd find out, that revision is printed on the board itself (in the lower-left corner - assuming, that the edges closest to the CPU are TOP/LEFT). :(

anibalin

For reboot fix, go see this post ;)

Both does not mean both kernels =)

Only first one is kernel, second file is needed for proper reboot (and sometimes sleep) functioning.

thanks, you are right, both are not kernels. sorry for the goof up.

checking your guide for the reboot :) issue.

thanks again.

thanks, you are right, both are not kernels. sorry for the goof up.

checking your guide for the reboot :D issue.

thanks again.

@A.I.Ghost / installed the acpi kext and guess? reboot works, shutdown works (it would never works without acpi management!). Everything smooth now. I guess the "funky" behaviour is fixed too (gotta test it now) after sleep mode.

@Conroe Mac / if you agree you could add in the guide (thanks for keeping it updated man, its very useful) that both items under kernel are needed.

Again, thanks for your tips and hints boys, hope you had a great xmas with your families. Cheers.

All: I have updated the guide for iATKOS and posted links to the methods of AIGHOST and Lonewolf. In the future, we should be moving toward iATKOS and Kalyway installations. These are much quicker and less complicated. If someone has experience with Kalyway, that would make a great addition to the guide. Also, a short guide for activating last two orange ports would be good. Let me know if there are more things that need to go on the first page.

Anibalin: I have added the information you requested to the guide.

EDIT: It just booted!!!!! I used Gparted instead of fdisk to set the bootable flag, up and running!!!! Woo hoo!

Ok I've been beating my brains out for the last two days trying to install this. This is my first ever attempt at installing OSX86, so needless to say I am very inexperienced with OSX installation.

Here's my setup:

GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420

2x1GB RAM

Nvidia 256MB 7600GS

Samsung Writemaster IDE DVD Drive

1x160GB SATA II Drive on Purple port (I could use the orange ports, but prefer not to as I have 2x250gb drives with a linux Softraid install on these, I'm just going to select F12 at boottime to select which drive to boot from)

I'm using iATKOS v1.0i, Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode in BIOS is set to IDE. I tried AHCI, but got an error when rebooting with the install DVD: System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

When I have it set to IDE mode, I can boot up the DVD just fine and get through the installation. I partitioned the drive using a single partition and selected HFS Journaled and MBR. I then went to the Darwin Bootloader, selected disk 1, partition 1 and installed EFI emulation.

Under customize, I chose:

EFI Emulation

Stock Kernel

Stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext

Drivers

VGA

nVidia

NVinject

256MB

System

AppleSMBIOS.kext netkas

It proceeds through installation and then when I reboot the system just hangs. Does not attempt to boot from the drive. My first thoughts were that the partition did not have a bootable flag set, so I fired up a Linux live CD and checked it with fdisk. Sure enough, there was no bootable flag on the partition, so I set it but I am still getting the same results.

I also tried to put my drive on one of the orange ports, I had no luck there either. I was getting the same error upon bootup that I received before, "System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found", regardless of what my BIOS settings were.

So I'm a little lost/baffled, it's entirely possible I may have something set wrong in the BIOS, so if anyone can help that would be great ;)

anibalin

For reboot fix, go see this post <_<

I have a the rev 3.3 of this board and I was wondering about restart. Is that what the reboot fix pertains to? I downloaded your kext, but I have not installed it yet. I have tried the vanilla kext and non vanilla iAtkos kext of AppleACPIPlatform and neither allow me to shut down or restart the computer. iAtkos on my laptop with stock kernel and iAtkos non stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext works pretty much flawlessly.

Where did your AppleACPI come from? Netkas? I will try it later. Also, there are a lot of power management options in the bios, do you suppose our problem could have something to do with that?

Geeze.

Geeze

Yes, i got this kext on IRC. Works with stock kernel on pc_efi.

About power management options in bios - i have defaults and it works. I dont think that revision matters on this.

Geeze

Yes, i got this kext on IRC. Works with stock kernel on pc_efi.

About power management options in bios - i have defaults and it works. I dont think that revision matters on this.

I did install it and now I have restart, but I still can't do a proper shut down. I just restart and hit the power button at right time.

Overall a great install, I just wish all four ICH8 ports worked in ACHI mode. My Jmicron controller does seem to work well without any patching, and in that respect I have 4 available ports total, and all are ACHI.

We shall see what 2008 brings in terms of new boards (I would like my next machine to be a micro ATX formfactor) and software updates from Apple. This has gotten too easy, and I fear the other shoe is going to drop.

In the meantime, you guys have done a great job with the DS3 guides, keep up the good work!

Geeze

UPDATE: I did change a setting in the bios under power management from S1 to S3. Now my machine shuts down fine. It sleeps, but when I bring it out of sleep the video is "blurry".

You guys that are using iATKOS with the Vanilla and EFI can you post what your options are set to in bios? I can't seem to get it to work. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6420.

See my previous post above. Everything is working flawlessly! I did have to boot up a Live Linux CD and set the partition to be bootable, this may be possible using disk utility instead.

Also for whatever reason, I could not get fdisk to work properly on setting the boot flag, I ended up using the manage flags option of gparted instead.

Everything else in the BIOS is set to default.