Official mac.nub 10.4.10 Intel ONLY x86 Install DVD v1, Rev. 5 [EN] - Discussion Thread

mac.nub

722 posts in this topic

Note: I'll answer more later... i'm tired. It's 7:45am and I haven't slept. Need some sleep...

Please please don't ask more questions for now. I still have many pages of posts to answer. I'm up to the beginning of page 20. I'll post when you can again. Cheers.

@All users who have installed successfully - glad to hear it :)

Hiko - That's correct.

bbao - That error occurs when your DVD drive can't read the DVD properly, it's either a bad burn, or your DVD drive just can't read the DVD for some reason.

Orfeus - Answered your Q in PM.

kurmiic - It's upto the hackintosh driver developers to get it working, there's no ETA.

SaintEpsilon - Cheers.

joelones - Do your other USB devices work normally? If so i'd say application specific. Though that would be a guess.

Frank Muller - Should be straightforward hopefully.

shardie - to edit the DVD you'd have to mount the ISO as readwrite... to do this you need to type the following in terminal:

hdiutil attach -readwrite /path/to/file.iso -owners on

OlivDS - Should just be a matter of getting the french language from another distro and installing it hopefully. As for the theme, it's a mix of different things... something I put together, if you want it PM me and ask for the file.

NUCLEaR - sounds like you need to boot with the -legacy boot flag I think.

eMacPC - No ideas, sorry.

fibblesan - My board has the same chipsets and all works fine, weird.

~mac.nub

Dear macnub,

You are Great!!! I have successfully installed 10.4.10 on my humble Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and to my disbelief its faster than the rest of the hackintosh installation disc

My Laptop Spec as follow (as guide for the rest of the ppl)

Pentium M 1.5Ghz

Graphic Card Intel GM900

Wireless Card Dell 1450

Bluetooth Dell Toshiba 1350

ALPS Touch Pad

Sound Sigmatel (using the AC97Audio.kext)

Regards

Wayne

@Mac.Nub -- I just want to say that I've had time to put your install disk to the test now and it has proven to be very stable. Once I got the dictionary fixed and replaced the appleSMBIOS.kext (not necessary if you aren't running FCS2 or CS3) I began rendering a 25 minute clip with 5 or 6 filters, edited out unnecessary footage, and exported (CS3) as mpg assets. Created menus with several layers in Photoshop along with motion menus in After Effects. Compiled DVD with Encore CS3 and there wasn't even the slightest glitch in the system. I was going to put the hackintosh to the side for awhile and focus on my real Mac Pro, but this system works so well that I'm going to spend a bit more on it and upgrade the video card to an X1950XT. Thanks for your efforts.

Moose, what is FCS2?

If he simply takes it out of AHCI mode and puts it back into ide the problem is fixed. he can alwas put it back into AHCI after boot up. and your cd-rom/burner will work in osx even tho its set to AHCI. The issue is only during installation.
no luck with that kind of setting devices to ide , its something else i guess
Moose, what is FCS2?
Final Cut Studio 2

nice work!

Only problem i encouter is that i cant change my display options (it is 1024x768) but i do have an ati mobility X1600 (and installed that drivers during macosx install).

Is that normal? Or have i forgot somehting?

And also my sound card (intel high definition audio on my laptop) doesnt work, but i think thats pretty normal because there are no drivers for that.. are there?

Tnx in advance!

MAC.NUB: Ive FIIINNAALLYYY got it to install and here is how i did it:

STEP ON HOW I GOT 10.4.10 INSTALLED:

1. First of all i had OSX already running on another drive (JAS 10.4.8 updated to 10.4.9)

2. I downloaded the Mac.Nub iso to the desktop

3. Mounted the iso with this command: hdiutil attach -readwrite /path/to/file.iso -owners on

4. This allowed the iso to be read/write

5. I extracted the file Extensions.mkext to the desktop

6. The Extensions.mkext file contains many othe files - the one i needed to modify was the APPLEVIAATA.kext file.

7. Added the controllers id (0x2361197b 0x28208086) to AppleVIAATA.kext "VIA SATA Controller"

8. Put the AppleVIAATA.kext file back into the Extensions.mkext file

9. Replaced the Extensions.mkext file with my new modified one.

10. Rebooted and the DVD managed to install - recognised all SATA and IDE devices.

11. I wasnt worried about Sound, Audio and network as I can get that working with other kext files

12. Once OSX was installed it booted till the grey backround and spinning thingie, then showed a icon that did not allow further booting.

13. I rebooted into a working OSX (JAS 10.4.9) and replaced the AppleVIAATA.kext file that was in /System/Library/Extensions

14. Repaired permissions and rebooted with the Mac.nub install

15. OSX booted perfectly (Mac.Nub 10.4.10)

Okay so heres the deal. I had to add the device ID to the Extensions.mkext file of mac.nubs DVD which allows it to install BUT once installed OSX wont boot because i ALSO have to add the device ID to the AppleVIAATA.kext file in the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

THANKS for the help from MAC.NUB and JAS on how to modify my Extensions.mkext file BUT not I need to know where do I modify the AppleVIAATA.kext file on the install DVD so that once OSX is installed, it will boot.

PLEASE HELP.

Once I have accomplished this I want to dedicate a website helping people making thier own install DVD.

I will also redo my MAC.NUB DVD and take out all the unneeded patches, kernel and other files and make my install even more simpler and smaller.

Thanks again for the help.

Im testing the stability of 10.4.10 before i reinstall over the JAS 10.4.9 drive.

BTW looking at Leopard too...... why cant I just be happy with what I got ? More headaches to come.

SHARDIE

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MY SPECIFICATIONS:

Motherboard : ECS P965T-A

CPU : Intel 2.8Ghz Core Duo

RAM : 4 Gigs Kingston

HDD : 250Gig SATA II Seagate

DVD : Samsung Litescribe DVDWriter

Mouse : Apple Mighty Mouse

Keyboard : Genius piece of {censored}

Monitor : 22" Wide Samsung LCD

FireWire : Realtek Firewire 400 card

VGA : Inno 3D NVidia 256mb PCIe

External HDD : Lacie 160 Firewire

Bluetooth : No Name Brand - works 100%

Printer : Canon IP 4200

Scanner : Canon

Tablet : Wacom

Speakers : Samsung 5.1

Contact ME:

rsallie@hotmail.com ------- MSN Chat

intel2.jpg

And also my sound card (intel high definition audio on my laptop) doesnt work, but i think thats pretty normal because there are no drivers for that.. are there?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you with regards to the audio. I've been searching for a few days and haven't found anything for my set up. There are some people that have gotten the audio to work, but no input. I'm on a Toshiba and I can't get it at all. There's a whole topic about it posted somewhere on here I think.

I haven't found this problem in the thread, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had this problem. When I install Mac.Nub everything goes great except that it can't find a keyboard on reboot. (every reboot, even single user mode)

I'd previously been running 10.4.8 successfully using JaS on my thinkpad T60p with everything but the Intel Wireless.

Thanks!

@amantheboy07: I can't speak to the Diamond Radeon X1600 Pro specifically, but my PowerColor X1600XT works flawlessly with the Natit x1600 driver. I've got QE/CI, correct monitor resolution, my monitor is recognized in System Profiler (as is the card), display sleep works.... Aperture works smoothly - no trouble there that I can see.

The only thing I've noticed is that if I connect a VGA display and a DVI display, only VGA is detected. Note that my card has dual DVI out.... Perhaps that's the issue. I've not dragged my other digital display home from work to test dual DVI yet.

EDIT: I suppose "flawlessly" is inaccurate, since I noted there is a problem....

Shardie,

Great write up. I'd be very interested in a guide into making your own DVD's. I've yet to try the mac.nub iso as I'm trying to free up my main machine so that I can undo the 2 raid sets that are on it. I think I'm going to need glasses after all the reading I've done on OSX since I got interested in it about a month ago.

If you don't mind - please keep me in the loop

For some reason, any 10.4.10 installation automatically reboots my computer. When booting with -v it happens so fast that I cannot read the last thing it loaded before it happens. It always installs fine without a hitch but when I go to boot the OS it always reboots my computer after approx. 15 seconds of loading files. 10.4.8 JaS works flawlessly on the same machine, though. What could the issue be?

Intel Celeron D340, PCChips Motherboard w/ VIA Chipset, GeForce FX5200.

I've tried many different builds, including the 10.4.8 to 10.4.10 upgrade (PascelW), Kalyway's 10.4.10 and also now mac.nub's, all with the same reboot-during-boot issue. Any ideas? Thanks!

This isn't working for me:

System info:

Asus p5n32-e SLI

1 gb 800 mhz

Intel E6600 ( at 3.0 ghz)

Geforce 8800 GTS 640

2x 320 GB maxtor diamond SATA hard drives ( one drive is running windows and on the other i want a hackintosh :( )

I am getting a waiting for root device errror, what to do ?

I tried this install in vmware and all works fine but i can't select any harddrive because the setup doesn't shows any ?

Someone can help me with this problem ?

Tnx !

Shardie,

Great write up. I'd be very interested in a guide into making your own DVD's. I've yet to try the mac.nub iso as I'm trying to free up my main machine so that I can undo the 2 raid sets that are on it. I think I'm going to need glasses after all the reading I've done on OSX since I got interested in it about a month ago.

If you don't mind - please keep me in the loop

Hi jason, the UK cheese eating man.

Yeah my brain is kinda fried after all the reading too. I had alook at Leopard today (friends laptop - macbook pro) and my it DIDNT impress me thaaaaaat much. It just felt like a themed Tigerat first, but there are some nice features.

Was abit funny playing in the Finder as I wasnt used to the new "feel" - constantly felt like im using Itunes instead of Finder. I really liked Stacks.

Anyway this is not suposed to be a Leopard review but i could help adding my 2cents.

Im thinking of making a SIMPLE tutorial on how to make your own DVD. I just found that Mac.Nub had toooo many options, especially if you have never installed OSX. I myself didnt know what opetions to select - so i selected NONE.

LATERS

My two cents:

-Mac.nub: many thanks for putting together a comprehensive 10.4.10 install DVD! It is probably the best install around as it has all the tested patches and kexts in one place.

It worked great on my ThinkPad T42 on an external USB drive (in less than 30 min.!, try that w. Windows...).

The only downside is that its strength can be the weak spot; it assumes people are aware of their HW and know about which patches to apply and then deal with them post install (the Callisto requires plist editing for instance, which is still left as an excersise to the reader).

But hey, if people want an out of the box Mac, they should buy the real thing!

I think it will be pushing it too far to write installer code that checks out the HW, autoselects patches and kexts and deals with plists etc. (would be a nice programming project though for a CS student...).

Anyway, thanks Mac.nub for the great work. I look forward to Leo!

The only downside is that its strength can be the weak spot; it assumes people are aware of their HW and know about which patches to apply and then deal with them post install (the Callisto requires plist editing for instance, which is still left as an excersise to the reader).

Nuifrkns : I think your are right. The average/noobie/etc has no clue what to select. Im sure there could/should be a simpler README at least, explaining what one should select.

Although, the person trying to install OSX on a PC should also know that its not going to be handed to him on a silver platter and should at least know what hardware he/she has. - open the case and write it down on a piece of paper - simple really.

Also, abit of reading would help, after all we are install OSX onto a PC which was never intended to happen - so read baby read, just like the rest of us did.

oh and PERSISTANCE

Hi everyone.

I am a noob here.

The good news is that I will be starting fresh, which means I will be building a new computer just to run mac.nub's installion DVD. My previous system was an AMD, but I sold it. And I will be buying a Core2Duo processor.

And on to my question, which specific setup should I get? Which CPU,mobos and HD ..etc work best for this installation.

You can throw me specific models as it would help a lot. I am looking around to spend around $600 USD on this system.

THANKS EVERYONE!