Official mac.nub 10.4.10 Intel ONLY x86 Install DVD v1, Rev. 5 [EN] - Discussion Thread

mac.nub

722 posts in this topic

Just a quick update to say mine's working supremely well (except QE/CI) ...just a few quick tips:

-- blinking cursor/black screen after install: reformat the drive and use MBR partition map

-- SSE2 issues: i ran into some issues with the system stopping and forcing me to reboot during the grey apple screen. i never actually booted in verbose mode, but this is what i did to fix.

1. run a bare install with the base system, 10.4.10 Intell SSE3 Kernel and essential patches, nforce & recommended patches defaults.
  2. boot the system (never made it past the grey apple screen, but no forced reboots either)
  3. shutdown the system and re run the install, de-selecting everything but the 8.9.1 Universal Kernel & patches (for sse2).
  4. Boot the system and everything starts up fine.
  5. You might try the various drivers in the installer, but none seemed to work in my case. I scanned the {censored} out of the genius bar and found all of the necessary drivers and fixes needed for my laptop.

System: IBM t43, 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 80GB disk

hth- thad

Thanks alot man for the info :(

i tryed several patched dvd but al had the same error (kernel error or death screen etc.)

Now i followed your tips and now it's freakin working :P on my Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

And now i am going back to the Leopard patching project hehe.

Thanks,

Bob

HI,

I am new to Macs, been building and fixing PC's for 15 years. This seems to be very interesting, but if I rip any more hair out of my head, I'll be bald.

Trying to install a dual boot (XP) on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop, P4 2.6Ghz, 1Gig ram, decent laptop. All I get is errors - XP still boots using F8, not too worried, I have a Acronis image made yesterday just in case. Partitions are 25G for OSX, 55G for XP.

Can anyone make sense of this screenshot?

www.tomokadesigns.com/error.gif

Thanks,

Rob

mac.nub - Thanks again for posting this up.

I kept crashing after install.... figured it out though....

Check your partitions folks - I had to change my partition type under Options to Master Boot Record - after that things went past pretty flawlessly on this IBM T60.

One problem I'm having mac.nub - I cannot find the Japanese Kotoeri input anywhere - it isn't listed under International although nearly every other language is. What's the deal with the lack of Japanese input? The fonts and stuff are there but there is no way to select Japanese as an input option for me which is a make or break deal in all honesty as I correspond daily with quite a few individuals over there.

Would appreciate any help you guys can throw my way.

@Mac.Nub -- I just want to say that I've had time to put your install disk to the test now and it has proven to be very stable. Once I got the dictionary fixed and replaced the appleSMBIOS.kext (not necessary if you aren't running FCS2 or CS3) I began rendering a 25 minute clip with 5 or 6 filters, edited out unnecessary footage, and exported (CS3) as mpg assets. Created menus with several layers in Photoshop along with motion menus in After Effects. Compiled DVD with Encore CS3 and there wasn't even the slightest glitch in the system. I was going to put the hackintosh to the side for awhile and focus on my real Mac Pro, but this system works so well that I'm going to spend a bit more on it and upgrade the video card to an X1950XT. Thanks for your efforts.

First of all

I've waited a long time to install osx

Im stuck at the beginning of the installation.

My specs

Gigabyte 965DS3, 8800gts, SATA HD plugged to the purple conector and Sata DVD.

What am i doing wrong?

I'll apreciate any help

Thanks

post-114186-1193712766_thumb.jpg

Hi, I need some help with the installation. I keep running in to a problem when trying to use the disk utility in the setup to erase the new partition I created to install osx on to. The install doesn't find any destination drives to put the os on to, so then I go to disk utility select the partition and hit erase and I get the following error, "Volume erase failed, the underlying task reported failure on exit. This has happened to me with 2 different install disks. Does any one have a solution, I'm pretty sure I created my partition right. Is there a program for windows that would let me format the partition to the hsf+ file system so the installer dosn't need to do it.

Any help is appreciated.

is there a way that we can put the startup-time in boot.plist by automatic?

in uphuck dvd, after the installation & reboot there is 5 seconds on which we can choose our operating system.

but in this release, there is none. it boot right away to mac.

i know how add it in boot.plist. but i want to add that in the installation dvd.

show me how to od it pls..

Hey All,

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions.

I've been ill, and busy elsewhere.

I would ask you please to stop asking questions for now, as I have 11 odd pages of posts to trawl through and answer, as well as multiple PMs and its going to take me a few hours to do so.

I'll let you all know when it's OK to ask again!

Cheers,

~mac.nub

I tried several [sEVERAL] different configurations but I always get stuck after the reboot. I also have a P5ND2-SLI motherboard, and I just saw on a post that the user Nemi succesfully installed this dvd on his hackintosh.

Any clues on what I should choose at the custom install? I'm kinda lost here and feeling a bit desperate, since i'm getting very little feedback from the irc channel/searching the forums, and this looks like a truly awesome DVD [thanks again, mac.nub]

=)

EDIT: sorry man, didn't see that last post, think we were writing it at the same time. Sorry again! I'll keep on trying by myself see if I get lucky.

cheers!

Sadly, I'm returning to Windows on the in tented PC.

The reason is that the PC is quite unresponsive in general... but gets annoying with Office 2004, which is my daily basis (I know its a PPC application)

I have noted that video is pretty slow. Working with pivot tables is quite frustrating... Also, the iWork didn't open the documents!

I have an Intel Extreme 2 Graphics Video, a 82845G chip, (ID: 0x2562), and I have found no solution to get a decent performance after trying many of the posts.

I know it is not related to mac.nubs release, which by the way, is a great job. Surely, I felt pretty much more confident installing this release that other things I tried before.

So, I re-started saving, to get the real Mac.

Good luck everyone...

hey mac.nub and all,

i was wondering if this install dvd would work with sse2

also, does it emulate or does it actually run as an OS, would it run well on 1.7 GHZ with 1 gb of ram....

can u link me to a guide for this too???

THANK YOU SO MUCH....!!!!

<br />Hey All,<br /><br />Sorry for the delay in answering your questions.<br />I've been ill, and busy elsewhere.<br /><br />I would ask you please to stop asking questions for now, as I have 11 odd pages of posts to trawl through and answer, as well as multiple PMs and its going to take me a few hours to do so.<br /><br />I'll let you all know when it's OK to ask again!<br /><br />Cheers,<br /><b>~mac.nub</b><br />
<br /><br /><br />

This thread is at least 50% full of things people should have researched on their own (partitioning, prepping the disc, does X work??? and unruly demands from 14-year old kids) so the resulting signal-to-noise ratio is pretty bad.

Take care of yourself, mac.nub.

Your install disc works great with the exception of having to patch in the Support folder for the Dictionary. Marvell NIC, BT work great. Oh yeah, the built-in X19x0 didn't work so had to manually install Jcool's 10.4.10 installer after.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe v2004 BIOS

4GB PC2-5300 DDR2, E6600 @ 3.0GHz overclocked

2x WD500AAKS hard drives, HIS 256MB Radeon X1950XT, Trendnet USB BT dongle

(quad-boot, XP Pro SP2, Vista Ultimate, Ubuntu 7.10, Tiger)

hey mac.nub and all,

i was wondering if this install dvd would work with sse2

also, does it emulate or does it actually run as an OS, would it run well on 1.7 GHZ with 1 gb of ram....

can u link me to a guide for this too???

THANK YOU SO MUCH....!!!!

read the thread ..your questions have been answered over and over again...

If SATA is set to AHCI mode and then booting from DVD, then it posts - cant find apple.bootlist.plist or something like that, any idea whats now ?

The "can't find apple.bootlist.plist" error means that the installer cannot read / find your DVD drive. You would be aided greatly by using a SATA or USB DVD drive. FWIW, I have a SATA DVD burner that is running off of the SATA bus in AHCI mode and it installs without a hitch.

The "can't find apple.bootlist.plist" error means that the installer cannot read / find your DVD drive. You would be aided greatly by using a SATA or USB DVD drive. FWIW, I have a SATA DVD burner that is running off of the SATA bus in AHCI mode and it installs without a hitch.

If he simply takes it out of AHCI mode and puts it back into ide the problem is fixed. he can alwas put it back into AHCI after boot up. and your cd-rom/burner will work in osx even tho its set to AHCI. The issue is only during installation.