*** GeForce 8800 G80 ONLY - Easy Installer & Tutorial ***

mac.nub

316 posts in this topic

I read several pages in this thread but didn't find all the answers, so before I go buy a 8800GTX, someone please answer these questions for me, thanks.

1. Is the monitor unplug/plug fixed or unplugging still needed to boot correctly?

2. Will this work with dual monitors (Dual Viewsonic 22" LCD 1680x1050)?

3. How's the QE/CI/OpenGL performance? Is it same or better than Titan/Natit?

MDoggie - It does indeed, working here perfectly on my Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz with both cores enabled, and 64-Bit mode. Not sure where you cast your vote though :rolleyes:

BebopBlues -

1. You need to hotplug VGA monitors, if using DVI you do not need to, unless you are using dual monitors.

2. It will work with dual monitors, but one of them will have to be hot-plugged at each boot - the one attached to the DVI port furthest from the motherboard. Or both of them if they are VGA.

3. It's not bad, but it's not all that great either, and there is no Natit/Titan for this card... so you can't compare it to them!

~mac.nub

BebopBlues -

1. You need to hotplug VGA monitors, if using DVI you do not need to, unless you are using dual monitors.

2. It will work with dual monitors, but one of them will have to be hot-plugged at each boot - the one attached to the DVI port furthest from the motherboard. Or both of them if they are VGA.

3. It's not bad, but it's not all that great either, and there is no Natit/Titan for this card... so you can't compare it to them!

~mac.nub

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll wait for the hotplug to be fixed (hopefully). It is a bit troublesome to reach the monitor plug and I reboot between XP/OSX too often. I have a 7600GT now and am fine with it until the hotplug issue is fixed, plus the price of the 8800 will go down a bit if I wait a bit longer.

hey mac.nub, I installed the package and rebooted, I get a blue screen for a second then it turns to a black screen and nothing, and I tried your unistall code and that seems not to do anything either, what should I do??

ok well I reinstalled the osx system and had to recover all my music files :-( but no biggy left them all on my vista os :-) but I am scared to try to reinstall the drive you, mac.nub, made my system is amd 6000+x2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP with 17inch SAMSUNG VGA converted to DVI lcd screen and e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb video card any suggestions so that I can change my resolution??

Oh and b.t.w. Mac.nub I appriciate all the time you have spent on this issue for me and all the others you are one bad ass person for doing this :-)

Psytwerk - Currently you have to hotplug whenever using VGA monitors, the only way to bypass this is by using a DVI monitor with DVI cable.Unfortunately there is no way to change resolution on VGA monitors.Cheers,~mac.nub
Hi mac.nub, I have to say that Im using a CRT monitor with a VGA2DVI adapter and I can change resolutions without any problem or crashes.Also it works to me but not with your NVinject.kext. Im using the one that first appeared of aqua-mac.If I use yours, I get a blue screen with hotpluging.I checked the Info.plist and saw that NVCAP is the same as aqua-mac, with the difference of saved-config.I tried to put the saved-config I got from my ioreg in the aqua-mac .plist, but it makes no difference. I mean, I still need to hotplug to get it to work.Do you know why your NVinject doesnt work for me? What are the differences between those 2 kexts?Something new added, except the total VRAM?All info about my config on my signature...Cheers

After using the installer, did the GUI fail to come up for anyone else? I'm not talking black/blue screens, either. The boot-up just freezes after "Login Window Application Started," with or without hot-plugging.

I am using 10.4.10, with 8.9.1 universal kernel with an eVGA 8800 GTX 768meg card.

Attempt 1:

After a hell of a time getting OS X to just boot on this computer (nForce 680i motherboard, Core 2 Duo E6600), I decided to try getting the 8800 GTX to work so I downloaded the installer from the link in this thread (apparently, the version before current, as it did not have the nForce/AMD fix). That installer threw a kernel panic on GeForce.kext upon bootup, which I could fix by manually putting my device id in the Info.plist file for GeForce.kext, but even with hot-plugging, the monitor would just remain black. If I did not hotplug, the screen would go black after going through the verbose bootup. If I did hotplug, the monitor would never get a signal after I plug it back in after waiting for a few minutes.

Attempt 2:

So after that didn't work, I moved the NVDAResman.kext so I could boot back into the GUI and found that a new installer was released, with an nForce/AMD fix (I do have an nForce 680i motherboard). I downloaded that and installed it (selected nForce/AMD fix and G80 768 meg NVinject). Now, on bootup, the boot process freezes after "Login Window Application Started," if I hot-plug or not.

Any ideas what could be happening? It doesn't seem to be like the other problems I've seen on here. I don't think its a problem with the login window, as it works just fine without NVDAResman.kext, just no hardware acceleration.

After install, NVinject seems to work, it lists off some data in verbose mode, and if I go to "About This Mac" (in VESA mode) it shows the card as a G80 8800 GTX.

Thanks.

After using the installer, did the GUI fail to come up for anyone else? I'm not talking black/blue screens, either. The boot-up just freezes after "Login Window Application Started," with or without hot-plugging.

I am using 10.4.10, with 8.9.1 universal kernel with an eVGA 8800 GTX 768meg card.

Attempt 1:

After a hell of a time getting OS X to just boot on this computer (nForce 680i motherboard, Core 2 Duo E6600), I decided to try getting the 8800 GTX to work so I downloaded the installer from the link in this thread (apparently, the version before current, as it did not have the nForce/AMD fix). That installer threw a kernel panic on GeForce.kext upon bootup, which I could fix by manually putting my device id in the Info.plist file for GeForce.kext, but even with hot-plugging, the monitor would just remain black. If I did not hotplug, the screen would go black after going through the verbose bootup. If I did hotplug, the monitor would never get a signal after I plug it back in after waiting for a few minutes.

Attempt 2:

So after that didn't work, I moved the NVDAResman.kext so I could boot back into the GUI and found that a new installer was released, with an nForce/AMD fix (I do have an nForce 680i motherboard). I downloaded that and installed it (selected nForce/AMD fix and G80 768 meg NVinject). Now, on bootup, the boot process freezes after "Login Window Application Started," if I hot-plug or not.

Any ideas what could be happening? It doesn't seem to be like the other problems I've seen on here. I don't think its a problem with the login window, as it works just fine without NVDAResman.kext, just no hardware acceleration.

After install, NVinject seems to work, it lists off some data in verbose mode, and if I go to "About This Mac" (in VESA mode) it shows the card as a G80 8800 GTX.

Thanks.

Do you have a previous version of Titan or Natit installed before? I had no luck installing this if I also had those installed. So, you may have to delete all the files related to those if so. I did, and it fixed the problem. I ended up re-installing from my disc without any video drivers, then, hot plugging on the first startup. Then, I installed and rebooted. It worked fine after that. Also, since you have a computer set up almost identical to mine, don't forget to use cpus=1 when you boot every time, and on MY first reboot after install, I had to go use -x, too. Try that, and see if it fixes it. So... no video card drivers when installing, cpus=1, and -x after first install :(

Do you have a previous version of Titan or Natit installed before? I had no luck installing this if I also had those installed. So, you may have to delete all the files related to those if so. I did, and it fixed the problem. I ended up re-installing from my disc without any video drivers, then, hot plugging on the first startup. Then, I installed and rebooted. It worked fine after that. Also, since you have a computer set up almost identical to mine, don't forget to use cpus=1 when you boot every time, and on MY first reboot after install, I had to go use -x, too. Try that, and see if it fixes it. So... no video card drivers when installing, cpus=1, and -x after first install ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried booting with "-x" but it still freezes on "Login Window Application Started." The "cpus=1" trick is what finally allowed me to boot OSX at all, so I'm already always using that. Also, I knew the Natit/Titan drivers wouldn't work with the 8800, so I never installed those. I never really had much interest in trying OSX until I could get the 8800 to work.

Also, which NVDANV*0Hal driver is supposed to load? If I leave my monitor plugged in to get the verbose messages, I see the NVDANV30Hal driver load, then NVinject does its output. It seems like the higher version driver should load, NVDANV50Hal, but I'm new to this, so these numbers might mean something completely different. If I move the NVDANV30Hal driver, then none of the NVDANV*0Hal drivers load. I'm not sure if this really means anything.

Osx86 10.4.9 uphuc 1.3 + kernel 8.9.1 + XFX 8800 GTS 640 Mo + NVinjectG80Installer

WORKING !!

Thanks to all devs for that ! especially mac.nub for the installer and stuff ;)

Any chance to see this installer working in Leopard ?

I tried again with 10.4.9, slightly different issue.

At first it would still freeze on "Login Window Application Started," and I had several "display: family specific matching failed" errors, as well as only NVDANV30Hal loading. By manually placing my device ID in NVDANV50Hal and NVDAResman, I got NVDANV50Hal to load and the "display: family specific matching failed" errors to go away. However, NVDANV30Hal started to fail to load with some kernel link/load error, something along the lines of "kld_load_from_memory() failed for NVDANV30Hal." I tried repairing permissions on the off-chance that would be the problem, but no go.

As is, the screen now flashes and goes black after the "Login Window Application Started" line, which I took as a good thing. I restarted with the monitor unplugged. I plugged the monitor back in after a few minutes, and there was still no signal.

One thing I noticed is that the device id in all of the GeForce/NVDA* kexts after running the G80 installer is 0193, whereas my device id is 0191. Is this common?

xx66stangxx - You will need to install the AMD/nForce fix also, otherwise it will not work, as you have experienced, I know someone else with the exact same card, and it works flawlessly for them.

davidovi - Interesting, thanks for letting me know. Must be specific to the AMD/nForce fix that you can not change resolutions on.

No idea about the differences between gotoh's and aqua-mac's NVinject kexts, sorry.

iliuxa & Shrimp - Cheers for the mirrors!

G5rocks - Glad all's well with you.

temis - Glad all works, and i'll do my best to make an installer for this for leopard when it's released.

shawmishrak - Odd, i've done some research and Device ID 0191 is for GeForce 8800 GTX cards apparently. Where as for every other 8800 card I know of, it is 0193.

NVDANV30Hal should not be loading at all, it's not for this graphics card, it's for older nVidia cards.

Try this:

1) Remove... NVDANV10Hal.kext, NVDANV20Hal.kext, NVDANV30Hal.kext and NVDANV40Hal.kext from /System/Library/Extensions.

2) Install the latest easy installer, select the MacBook Pro 1.1 Software Update, AMD/nForce Fix, and the 768MB NVinject.

3) Edit GeForce.kext, NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV50Hal.kext put 0x019310de ONLY, under IOPCIMatch in Info.plist in those files, so it shows like this:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x019310de</string>

4) Repair Permissions, and reboot.

That should solve your problem.

Cheers,

~mac.nub

Unfortunately, that doesn't resolve the issue. I did a fresh install of 10.4.9, installed and first-booted in VMware to run the installer. I removed NVDANV10-40Hal. The other kexts you mentioned already had 0x019310de in Info.plist. IOPCIPrimaryMatch is the same as IOPCIMatch, right? When I first booted natively, it froze on "Login Window Application Started".

Just to cover all of my basis, I changed the dev id in the kexts you mentioned to 0191, and then it would get past the "Login Window Application Started" message into the black screen, but when I booted with hot-plugging, the monitor would never get a signal after plugging it back in. Should I wait more than a few minutes during the boot? Ordinarily it boots faster than that, but maybe the drivers take a long time to load on first boot?

When I boot in verbose mode with the monitor plugged in, the only error message I see now is:

NVDA::probe(display)

NVDA::start(display) <1>

NVDA::start(display) <1> failed.

I'm assuming that's just because I'm using a VGA CRT monitor and not hot-plugging to get the verbose output.

Other than a driver issue, the only possibility I can imagine is that if the video card is trying to push a resolution the monitor doesn't support, but the monitor is usually pretty good about differentiating between bad mode and no signal in its messages. And the monitor is good up to 1600x1200.

Thanks for the help.

Odd, here it's IOPCIMatch, but that may be because i'm on my laptop and haven't applied the MacBook Pro s/w update... so it may just be an old kext style.

NVDA::probe(display)
NVDA::start(display) <1>
NVDA::start(display) <1> failed.

I think that's what it usually says on my PC when it boots, then goes straight into the GUI. I can't be sure right now as I'm at the family home for the weekend, so don't have access to my PC...

Honestly I can't think of anything else to suggest, it may be an idea to post in gotoh's thread to see if he has any ideas...

~mac.nub

Can you help with this progblem?

I have a BFG 8800 GTS OC 320 Mb

Just did a fresh install of Uphuck 10.4.9 1.2 (used before...works great!)

Downloaded G80installer.zip from one of your mirrors

Ran package after I unzipped file.

It never asked me to select which card I have (like your tutorial said it would).

It said installation successful.

I rebooted and got kernel panic???

I followed your instructions but something is not proper because I never got to select the 320 file.

Any help?

Thanks,

/mdg

when using an installer that will install files in system directories you should always have a box asking you root password ... did you see the box ?

If not you probably did not install the kexts and /usr files properly

use this link for an installer that will ask you your card : http://rapidshare.com/files/61147515/NVinj...taller.zip.html

this will install NVinject.kext version 10c + other drivers + other files in /usr

you must add the device id in /System/Library/Extensions/xxxxxxxx.kext/Contents/Info.plist (key is IOPCIMATCH) of these drivers : NVinject.kext + NVDEResman.kext + Geforce.kext + NVDAN50Hal.kext

repair permissions

delete : /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches

do a : sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

If your monitor uses VGA : shutdown your rig + unplug monitor + reboot + when you don't hear disk activity (means you're on the desktop if it worked) + plug your monitor

good luck !

Can you help with this progblem?

I have a BFG 8800 GTS OC 320 Mb

Just did a fresh install of Uphuck 10.4.9 1.2 (used before...works great!)

Downloaded G80installer.zip from one of your mirrors

Ran package after I unzipped file.

It never asked me to select which card I have (like your tutorial said it would).

It said installation successful.

I rebooted and got kernel panic???

I followed your instructions but something is not proper because I never got to select the 320 file.

Any help?

Thanks,

/mdg