*** GeForce 8800 G80 ONLY - Easy Installer & Tutorial ***

mac.nub

316 posts in this topic

All GeForce 8800 G80 Cards work. The new G92 based GTS and GT will not work! Please do not ask questions about if any 8x00 Series cards apart from the 8800 Series work in this post, simply the answer is no... if/when they do, I will be sure to update my post, and the easy-installer with the required files. When new 8x00 Series NVinject kext versions are released the easy installer will be updated, new fixes will be added too when/if available, and I have the time! This thread is only for support with regards to the working 8800 Series cards at the moment (8800 GTS, GTX). Thank you.

I am not part of the development for the NVinject drivers, I have packaged them for easy installation, and modified a few system kexts to allow 8800 cards to work on AMD Systems, and nForce motherboards - if you have any questions about how development for a card is going, you should ask gotoh (the creator of NVinject) in his thread here.

Hey All,

As it has become such a common question recently, and Gotoh's original easy installer did not function correctly, I have made an easy installer for you all to use.

All credit for NVinject kext of course goes to gotoh, packages & AMD/nForce fix by mac.nub

Tiger Installation Guide: - See further down for Leopard Install...

Firstly make sure you have Mac OS X 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 installed...

1. Go to: http://www.macdotnub.info/downloads.php

2. Download the latest "GeForce 8x00 Series Experemental Easy Installer"

3. Unzip the installer

4. Double click the installer

5. Read the Information in the installer window carefully, click continue

6. Select your mac partition, click continue

7. Select the correct NVinject kext, e.g. if you have a 320MB card, tick the box next to Geforce 8 Series - NVinjext 320MB

8. If you have an AMD System or have an nForce based mobo, select the AMD/nForce Graphics fix too!

9. Make sure only to tick one NVinject version!

10. Click Install.

When prompted, click reboot, if all goes well you should boot into Mac OS X with your card working.

Note: Currently only 8800 Series cards are confirmed working!

Current TIGER Easy Installer Version: 1.0.1, NVinject version: 0.0.10c

Current LEOPARD Easy Installer Version: 1.0, NVinject version: 0.1.3

Leopard Installation Guide:

1. Go to: http://www.macdotnub.info/downloads.php

2. Download the latest "Leopard Only NVinject Installer"

3. Unzip the installer

4. Double click the installer

5. Read the Information in the installer window carefully, click continue

6. Select your mac partition, click continue

7. Select the correct NVinject kext, e.g. if you have a 320MB card, tick the box next to Geforce 8 Series - NVinjext 320MB

8. If you have an AMD System or have an nForce based mobo, select the AMD/nForce Graphics fix too!

9. Make sure only to tick one NVinject version!

10. Click Install.

~mac.nub

Interesting... you are using AMD.

When I installed 10.4.10 on my PC, I also had to use the AMD kernel, because for some reason the Intel one just caused my PC to reboot over and over.

I had exactly the same problem, and exactly the same kernel panic, so i'm wondering if for some reason, the kext does not work with AMD kernels?

Unfortunately I can't suggest any way of fixing this, as I never got it to work on mine...

I would suggest rebooting into single user mode (press a button on the bootloader to enter boot options, and type -s) and removing GeForce.kext

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
reboot

After reboot, Mac should load normally again, however unfortunately, obviously QE, CI etc. will not be enabled :rolleyes:... though if you check System Profiler your correct card information should be displayed.

As mine does...

post-59159-1191887415_thumb.png

~mac.nub

It could be, or it could just be a coincidence that you had exactly the same kernel panic as me when using exactly the same kernel.

I'm guessing if this is the case, a patched GeForce.kext for AMDs would need to be released for this to work, unfortunately I'd have no idea of where to start for that... so wouldn't be able to do that myself.

~mac.nub

No,

That installer will give the same results, and as the kernel panic is exactly the same as mine with the AMD kernel, it seems to confirm my theory that the AMD kernel somehow mucks up the NVinject driver...

Cheers,

~mac.nub

As I say at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3052&st=980.

To avoid kernel panic just edit Info.plist of Geforce.kext NVDAResman.kext NVDANV50.kext and NVinject.kext.

As "lord_muad_dib" said : replace the line below IOPCIMATCH with ONLY your device id (in my case 0x019310de) WITHOUT "&amp 0x0000fff".

It works for me with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200, A8N5X and Geforce 8800 GTS 640M.

Hi!

This tread made me to undig my almost gave up idea to have a hackintosh (i've got 8800 GTS).

Downloaded/installed - restart with monitor unplugged (damn it really not comfortable). Now i've QE/QI no artifacts and list of resolutions in appropriate window ->i'm happy.

BUT: i can't change any position in the "Resolutions" or "Refresh Rate" - monitor fills by blue color and system must 2 b restarted after that (go down under the table again to unplug monitor). New start: have 1024x768 again. =(

I've got CRT monitor (Samsung SM 957MB) plugged in 1st DVI thru DVI-VGA adapter (card has no VGA-out but two DVI).

How do I change the resolution? i need 1600x1200@75Hz (supported by monitor).

Sorry for my english and THANKS for drivers!

As I say at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3052&st=980.

To avoid kernel panic just edit Info.plist of Geforce.kext NVDAResman.kext NVDANV50.kext and NVinject.kext.

As "lord_muad_dib" said : replace the line below IOPCIMATCH with ONLY your device id (in my case 0x019310de) WITHOUT "&amp 0x0000fff".

It works for me with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200, A8N5X and Geforce 8800 GTS 640M.

i get the black screen*5000000000000

I use 8800 GTS 320MB

1. i have 10.4.10

2. use this the auqa_max kexts here 

3.copy the files from the downloaded zip into the relevant places. kexts into /System/Library/Extensions folder, usr files into the /usr tree

4.follow your instruction

5.disktuil repairpermissions

6.reboot

7.get black screen :angel:

reboot, take your monitor plug out once it's started booting. Listen for the hdd to calm down then put the cable back in. If all went to plan you'll see a screen with it all working

do i have to follow all the instructoins that is mentioned above?

thx everybody !!!!!

This worked great. the resolution and colors goto max for my display 1650x1080. I did notice I was unable to get into the display settings. When i would open the display settings, it would show briefly then fade off the screen leaving my with nothing. I am going to hook up a 2nd monitor and see what happens.

You guys are bad ass. Since coming here 2 months ago I installed 10.4.9 without the Geforce support at that point, I got mini and decided to use the PC as a file server.

I am so close to getting rid of Windows for good. I almost backed up the data on my raid arrays deleted them then used the hackntosh to make the software raid volumes. If only some mad genius could figure out raid support ... and how to get playback of EVO files ripped from HD dvds.

I wish I had something to contribute to the scene but I have no skills in this area.

no, this is currently only working for 8800 cards

;) thx for your reply.

after installing "Natit.for.8x00.kext.v4a.zip":

===================================

Sysrem Prof / Graphics :

GeForce 8500 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8500 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0421

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display:

----------------

Sysrem Preferences / Display:

Resolutions: 1024 x 768

Colors: Millions

Refresh Rate: n / a

==================================

:angel: any idea? SOS.....

it's work for my 8800 GTS 320 Mo QE/CI, and 1680*1050

but i have install manualy with Gotoh (not use GeForce 8x00 Series Easy Installer) :)

P.S I'm french, so sorry for my bad language ;)

New Version Released! Check topic first page for more info! AMD/nForce fix for 8800 Series cards now included.

And don't worry, I'm not ignoring everyone's questions - just writing all the answers now... I'll add a new post with them all when I'm done!

~mac.nub