*** GeForce 8800 G80 ONLY - Easy Installer & Tutorial ***

mac.nub

316 posts in this topic

mdg - Download the latest easy installer from my website - the downloads are back up now. Then select The MacBook Pro Software Update 1.1, AMD/nForce Fix, and 320MB NVinject install options, this should sort it for you!

WarboyX - Yes, you will need to hot-plug unless you have a DVI Monitor and DVI cable attached to your card.

~mac.nub

mac.nub, any updates on when you think you will make your dvd available? I haven't installed OSX in ages because of lack of support for my mobo and GPU. Finally, your all-in-one disc looks to be very promising. Sorry if I sound like a nag, don't mean to, thanks for all the work put into this, its nice to see the 8800 finally working.

MacNewbieBoyUK - It's simply because of an updated System Profiler file on the 10.4.10 Installation I have on my PC, 10.4.10 shows Hardware Accelerated, 10.4.9 and earlier show Supported... It's the same with Leopard, nothing to worry about, it all just means it's supported.

ceboulba - I've had no reports of anyone trying it personally, but I see of no reason why it wouldn't work. Trying it if you have one and have the card won't do any damage, all you would need to do would be remove the kexts if it didn't work.

murcielago585 - I'm going to provisionally say, at the by the end of this week. All beta tester reports so far have been that it works flawlessly, just have one more tester that needs to install on their system, and check it for a day or so. Infact I was just going to post a topic about it here on the forums.

Edit: Topic now posted here.

~mac.nub

sweet it works! only thing is the hot plug and get stuck at the blue screen when i try to change res. so therefore i cant change my res at all even if i edit a file mentioned earlier by mac.nub. o ya btw im on a amd 3800, asus A8n-sli with nforce 4 chip set, and i have a 8800 gts 320mb video card and it works great once i do the hot plug trick

Hey Guys,

first i must say Great work.Now my Question. I've a Mac Pro with an BFG 8800GTX inside. I use bootcamp and installed Vista 64 Bit on it.

Everything is working fine. Is it possible with the G80 installer to boot in Mac OS X with my 8800GTX inside ? I didn't read in this threat that somebody got it to work. And a noob question at last: Must i run the installer package in windows or mac osx ? Please help, cause changing cards everytime really sucks :)

Thanks,BluBB

zman977 - It seems unfortunately that AMD/nForce users are unable to change the resolution for now.

Blubb - Apparently not - ceboulba recently tried installing the drivers under OS X on a Mac pro, and apparently they didn't work. Though ceboulba never elaborated with any error messages etc. just said it was "likely due to EFI" so I am none the wiser as to why exactly it doesn't work.

~mac.nub

I too have tested using an 8800 GTS 320MB on a Mac Pro, with no luck. I tried mac.nub's installer with 10.4.10, and I also tried only installing nvinject.kext on a Leopard 9a559 installation, and neither installation worked. I will try again as soon as possible and see if I can get some usable error information. Surely with enough people working on this we can solve this problem.

-Robert Hildinger

hey i apologize if i seem like a complete noob but ive left this scene and trying to come back, and im competely lost. i downloaded the file, its a installer so, im wandoring can i even boot in with an 8800 to install this? i havent bothered to install os x yet i read it wont load up in a 8800 machine. my specs should be in my signature... thanks~! in advance

oldteen & slinger - Shame, maybe at some point in the future eh?

Tecreatta - Odd, haven't heard of that before. I really don't know what to suggest, sorry!

okitsugu - If I were you, i'd use my install DVD when it is released later, that way you know the graphics drivers will work!

~mac.nub

oldteen & slinger - Shame, maybe at some point in the future eh?

Tecreatta - Odd, haven't heard of that before. I really don't know what to suggest, sorry!

okitsugu - If I were you, i'd use my install DVD when it is released later, that way you know the graphics drivers will work!

~mac.nub

thanks mac.nub! i think you are releasing that today? if im right...

Well I'll post just to let anyone know that using a DVI to HDMI cable to a 1080p HDTV. That A. the hot plug will still be required when booting. B. the tv will do 1920x1080 at Interlace. With some over scanning. You'll be out of bounds. Reason why I'm saying this is because all I got are 20 and 22inch CRT's connected via vga to dvi adapters and that I'm stuck at 1024x768 no matter what command I pass for the 8800 driver.

I tried to install G80Installer on my 10.4.10 AMD tubgirl, but after i installed it, my system doesn't go... It don't found my GFX card (XFX 8800GTX 768mb) and after line in the shell about login window application, it write something like hardware not supported... I tried to install it with and without the nividia fix present in the G80Installer

ABIT KN8 Ultra

AMD Opteron Dual Core

XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 758Mb

Any ideas to install it?

Hi Everyone, I seem to be having a bit of a different issue than others here... I am running:

• Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 3.00Ghz

• XFX 8800 GTS 320MB

• Samsung 226BW 1680x1050@60Hz

• Pure DVI connection between monitor and card

• Intel P965 (Gigabyte DS3) chipset

I discovered I also can't seem to switch resolutions.. I get the "blue screen" if I try. Also I noticed that my screen was just going black when loading full screen 3D games, and then I noticed it was due to this resolution switching issue. If the game resolution is set prior to loading it, works fine.SO I'm wondering if there are any suggestions? Other than the resolution switching (on my pure DVI setup) everything else works fine, QE, CI, etc... all supported and working. Card also gets recognized correctly and I don't need to hot plug my monitor. Any feedback in resolving this resolution issue would be great! Thanks! I forgot to mention I'm running a Gigabyte mobo 965 DS3 INTEL chipset. So basically Intel CPU and Intel chipset and DVI and can't switch resolutions.

After using the installer, did the GUI fail to come up for anyone else? I'm not talking black/blue screens, either. The boot-up just freezes after "Login Window Application Started," with or without hot-plugging.I am using 10.4.10, with 8.9.1 universal kernel with an eVGA 8800 GTX 768meg card. Attempt 1:After a hell of a time getting OS X to just boot on this computer (nForce 680i motherboard, Core 2 Duo E6600), I decided to try getting the 8800 GTX to work so I downloaded the installer from the link in this thread (apparently, the version before current, as it did not have the nForce/AMD fix). That installer threw a kernel panic on GeForce.kext upon bootup, which I could fix by manually putting my device id in the Info.plist file for GeForce.kext, but even with hot-plugging, the monitor would just remain black. If I did not hotplug, the screen would go black after going through the verbose bootup. If I did hotplug, the monitor would never get a signal after I plug it back in after waiting for a few minutes.Attempt 2:So after that didn't work, I moved the NVDAResman.kext so I could boot back into the GUI and found that a new installer was released, with an nForce/AMD fix (I do have an nForce 680i motherboard). I downloaded that and installed it (selected nForce/AMD fix and G80 768 meg NVinject). Now, on bootup, the boot process freezes after "Login Window Application Started," if I hot-plug or not.Any ideas what could be happening? It doesn't seem to be like the other problems I've seen on here. I don't think its a problem with the login window, as it works just fine without NVDAResman.kext, just no hardware acceleration.After install, NVinject seems to work, it lists off some data in verbose mode, and if I go to "About This Mac" (in VESA mode) it shows the card as a G80 8800 GTX.Thanks.
im having a tough time just trying to get past the boot screen after installing anything over 10.4.8(680i)...what version did you get it to boot with on the 680i chipset? i can install them fine but when i reboot after installation i get the continuing reboot after the starting darwin screen....i've used the boot flags cpus=1 and -x to no avail?? was there anything special you did??
Do you have a previous version of Titan or Natit installed before? I had no luck installing this if I also had those installed. So, you may have to delete all the files related to those if so. I did, and it fixed the problem. I ended up re-installing from my disc without any video drivers, then, hot plugging on the first startup. Then, I installed and rebooted. It worked fine after that. Also, since you have a computer set up almost identical to mine, don't forget to use cpus=1 when you boot every time, and on MY first reboot after install, I had to go use -x, too. Try that, and see if it fixes it. So... no video card drivers when installing, cpus=1, and -x after first install ;)
Do you have the 680i??..

Updated my system to 10.5 and everything still works. But this time it shows me the correct VRAM-size! :)

sorry for the newbie question, will this work under patched Leo? :)

I don't know if this works on a fresh Leo, but because it works with an updated version I would say chances are good! :D

post-109237-1193725586_thumb.png

Gainward 8800 GTS, 320 mb, Golden sample. works in Leo final. I have acceleration and stuff but performance seems terrible. Maybe its just me but I think my old 7900gs was doing better in World of warcraft and Xbench.

Can someone confirm bad performance please?

Dont get me wrong guys.

I am very thankful for your hard work. A few months ago all I did i pray for native res, dreamed about hardware acceleration etc.

All I want is to check with other users if they have same problem or its just me and my configuration.

thx

Once again, thanks everyone who made this possible.