Ten reasons you should get Vista.

siddharth

203 posts in this topic

I can't give you 10, but I can get you some.

1.As of right now, this is not a high priority reason. I wouldn't only get an 8800 or an HD2900 because of performance, but DX10 is not matured yet to where games are using DX10 completely. But, DX10 is a reason in the near future, but probably no to near.

2.So far Vista has been a lot more stable than what XP has been for me. Yes, it is a memory hog, but it manages memory better than XP from my expirence.

3.Drivers for video cards have progressed so far. Think of it like this, I gained 11 fps out of Trackmania nations with the same configs. With the new drivers and update for Quake 4, I get 30+ stable on medium settings with a config file that gives more than medium quality.

4.Support for Vista is actually pretty decent. If you have a problem, Vista actually tries to find a solution, and not give up, but will help you along the way if it doesn't find a decent solution.

5. Compatibility for programs made for XP or 2000 is pretty good. Setting the compatibility mode though, is alright.

But, there are also some cons to Vista.

1.Sometimes when copying files that are like 5 mb, it can take up to 10-15 minutes. Which is annoying.

2.I do not know if others have this problem, or if it's something that Microsoft did not put into Vista like they promised, Aero does not turn off during games. You have to set it off by turning off desktop compesition in the files properties.

3.Sleep mode doesn't work right for me. It sleeps, but doesn't wake up.

4.Some hardware does not work for Vista. My Live! 5.1 doesn't work.

5.Direct sound was taken out...=[

There ya go. That's my reasons for Vista.

What is Vista?

I'm sure you've heard the joke: "An Elephant is a Mouse built to Government specifications"...

...well Vista is simply an Elephant: slow; ponderous; expensive to feed (RAM); interesting to observe, but not something you'd actually want to own.

XP would best be compared to a plow horse; not real graceful but it gets the job done. Windows 98 would be the Mule of the family.

OS X, being in the carnivore rather than hay-burner family, is for those who like to avoid joining the herd and being sheared by Microsoft on a regular basis.

2.I do not know if others have this problem, or if it's something that Microsoft did not put into Vista like they promised, Aero does not turn off during games. You have to set it off by turning off desktop compesition in the files properties.

Aero sporatically does stuff like that. It's weird.

As for my opinion on Vista, it's pretty. That's pretty much it. Everything else is annoying and non-innovative.

But it could be a lot worse. It could Windows 95 USB.

OS X, being in the carnivore rather than hay-burner family, is for those who like to avoid joining the herd and being sheared by Microsoft on a regular basis.

id compare OS X to one of the many cats that theyve named it over the years. it is fast, and it is slowly eating the "elephants" that is the windows world. many people do not own cheetahs or pumas or tigers, but if you tame them(steve jobs did that for us :P ), it is a great "pet" :2cents:

I like OS X and Vista, it's like choosing Pepsi or Coke. They both taste the same, they both say the other company ripped the other one off, the only real difference is they just have a different can...just like Apple and Microsoft.

Here they are:

1. UI built for the era of video and digital photography

It's not actually Microsoft's key selling point, but the thing that everyone will probably find the most useful about Vista is that photos, videos and music are not treated the same as Word documents any more. When you open a folder of photos, they come up as they'd appear in Google Picasa or Apple iPhoto. There's inbuilt basic photo editing. Music folders come up in columns of ID3 tags, a bit like iTunes. Finally, you don't have to rely so much on third party apps to work with your files.

OS X has had that

2. Image-based install

PC enthusiasts spend a lot of time installing and reinstalling Windows for their own and other people's PCs. The Vista DVD is actually a pre-installed version of the OS in a compressed form, making it substantially quicker to install. It's also much easier to customise for unprompted installation with the correct defaults, and you can even install your own software automatically at the time Vista is installed - like slipstreaming service packs but on steroids. Read more...

OS X has had it

3. Up-to-date driver base and better driver handling on installation

Enjoy the just-baked driverbase while it lasts (19,500 drivers large). If you do need to use a special disk driver during installation in the future it won't have to be on floppy disk. Now you can use a USB memory key or CD. Also, Microsoft is now making much greater use of Windows Update for provision of drivers that aren't present in the Windows RTM driver base. Windows Chief Jim Allchin talks about it here.

A legit mac works perfect out of the box, hardware works, no questions asked

4. Desktop search and search folders built in

Yes, you could already get umpteen desktop search apps including Windows Desktop Search from Microsoft for XP, but you can't underestimate the importance of it being installed on every single Vista PC. Now when your mum rings saying she's lost a document she's been working on all day you can just direct her to the start menu. Also, desktop search folders are handy for finding stuff you haven't necessarily got stored in one folder but that is useful to gather together from time to time (e.g. documents with "tax, invoice or receipt" in them).

Spotlight is faster

5. Sleep mode that actually works.

It's a small thing, but makes a big difference: Vista has finally caught up to operating systems that can sleep near instantly and wake up reliably, in a couple of seconds. Read more...

It works in OS X

6. Rock-solid laptop encryption

The data on your laptop is worth a hell of a lot to an identity thief. Vista's "Bitlocker" encryption (only in Enterprise and Ultimate versions) does heavy-duty, full-drive encryption, so you can be certain that unless a thief has your password there's simply no way they're going to get in. Read more...

meh do not need seeing as i don't use a laptop

7. Better file navigation

Vista now has some time-saving features like favourite folders displayed in the left column of every Explorer window, as well as "breadcrumbed" folder lists allowing you to quickly jump backward and forward through a path. Sure, these should have been put into Windows years ago, but at least they're here now.

OS X has HAD it once again

8. Inbuilt undelete

Or, depending on how you look at it, inbuilt rolling backup. Every time you make a change to a file or delete it, Windows keeps the previous version. As a result, the "oh !@#$ I just overwrote my entire PhD with Document1" feeling can be quickly assuaged. Read more...

Time Machine or w/e its called

9. DirectX10

OK, this isn't so much a benefit as your hand being forced: DirectX 10 will never be made for XP, and a raft of games have already been announced ‘exclusively' for 10. Admittedly it does take gaming graphics to the next level, but it's very much tied to Vista.

No native OpenGL, and DirectX 10 will come to XP. Developers are in talk, since Vista sucks so hardcore

10. Face it, you have no choice

When Microsoft brings out a major renovation to Windows, you can choose to ignore it for a year or two, but then the device drivers start drying up for older versions of Windows, your friends start asking questions about their new PC that you can't answer, and even if you use Linux, you'll inevitably need familiarity with Microsoft's latest interoperability blockers. Face it: your arse belongs to Redmond.

Wrong, XP is more stable

:wacko::hammer:

Here they are:

1. UI built for the era of video and digital photography

It's not actually Microsoft's key selling point, but the thing that everyone will probably find the most useful about Vista is that photos, videos and music are not treated the same as Word documents any more. When you open a folder of photos, they come up as they'd appear in Google Picasa or Apple iPhoto. There's inbuilt basic photo editing. Music folders come up in columns of ID3 tags, a bit like iTunes. Finally, you don't have to rely so much on third party apps to work with your files.

Like I said, copied from OS X and a little to late.

2. Image-based install

PC enthusiasts spend a lot of time installing and reinstalling Windows for their own and other people's PCs. The Vista DVD is actually a pre-installed version of the OS in a compressed form, making it substantially quicker to install. It's also much easier to customise for unprompted installation with the correct defaults, and you can even install your own software automatically at the time Vista is installed - like slipstreaming service packs but on steroids. Read more...

I will agree this is a nice feature.

3. Up-to-date driver base and better driver handling on installation

Enjoy the just-baked driverbase while it lasts (19,500 drivers large). If you do need to use a special disk driver during installation in the future it won't have to be on floppy disk. Now you can use a USB memory key or CD. Also, Microsoft is now making much greater use of Windows Update for provision of drivers that aren't present in the Windows RTM driver base. Windows Chief Jim Allchin talks about it here.

No, don't even go there. I installed Vista, the Nvidia driver crashes, it can't even recognize a Soundblaster card? Drivers are the worst problem with Vista.

4. Desktop search and search folders built in

Yes, you could already get umpteen desktop search apps including Windows Desktop Search from Microsoft for XP, but you can't underestimate the importance of it being installed on every single Vista PC. Now when your mum rings saying she's lost a document she's been working on all day you can just direct her to the start menu. Also, desktop search folders are handy for finding stuff you haven't necessarily got stored in one folder but that is useful to gather together from time to time (e.g. documents with "tax, invoice or receipt" in them).

Another OS X copy, to little to late AND it slows the machine down with the constant indexing. I had to turn it off. OS X's works fine, no slowdown.

5. Sleep mode that actually works.

It's a small thing, but makes a big difference: Vista has finally caught up to operating systems that can sleep near instantly and wake up reliably, in a couple of seconds. Read more...

And the sleep mode is forced on folks. The default start menu has the "shutdown" icon as sleep. BAD. How many have "shutdown" their pcs, then move them and unplug their power cords to kill windows? Don't hide {censored}

6. Rock-solid laptop encryption

The data on your laptop is worth a hell of a lot to an identity thief. Vista's "Bitlocker" encryption (only in Enterprise and Ultimate versions) does heavy-duty, full-drive encryption, so you can be certain that unless a thief has your password there's simply no way they're going to get in. Read more...

Haven't tried it, no comment

7. Better file navigation

Vista now has some time-saving features like favourite folders displayed in the left column of every Explorer window, as well as "breadcrumbed" folder lists allowing you to quickly jump backward and forward through a path. Sure, these should have been put into Windows years ago, but at least they're here now.

The new explorer is OS X'ish to the core. Plus some things are just hidden and hard to do, until you find the "hidden" buttons. Like the how a full path as "C:\documents and settings\user\etc" is broken up and you have to click on the "right arrows" to get to places. It is ok, but not the greatest. Plus sometimes you have to dig to get to the folders you want. Ok, not great.

8. Inbuilt undelete

Or, depending on how you look at it, inbuilt rolling backup. Every time you make a change to a file or delete it, Windows keeps the previous version. As a result, the "oh !@#$ I just overwrote my entire PhD with Document1" feeling can be quickly assuaged. Read more...

Never used it, no comment.

9. DirectX10

OK, this isn't so much a benefit as your hand being forced: DirectX 10 will never be made for XP, and a raft of games have already been announced ‘exclusively' for 10. Admittedly it does take gaming graphics to the next level, but it's very much tied to Vista.

Bleh. Direct X is the cause for the Windows gaming monopoly in pcs. OpenGL was were it was at and should have stayed. Direct X 10 isn't even support on most things, no need for it. Mute point actually

10. Face it, you have no choice

When Microsoft brings out a major renovation to Windows, you can choose to ignore it for a year or two, but then the device drivers start drying up for older versions of Windows, your friends start asking questions about their new PC that you can't answer, and even if you use Linux, you'll inevitably need familiarity with Microsoft's latest interoperability blockers. Face it: your arse belongs to Redmond.

{censored}. You have countless Linux Distros, OS X, and XP to stay with. Have to? Yeah right.

I am using Business edition at work since I am the System Admin and testing things. Vista is an OS X want to be. The Windows Search needs to be stopped in Services for the hard drive thrashing to stop. I did that and my system was MUCH faster. UAC is a piece of sh*t and worthless. If you ask a security question, then why not ask for a password like OS X and Linux? *sigh* I also had Nividia driver hose the system first off, joy. The searching of Windows Server 2003 network drives sucks a$$. It says it doesn't find things but they are there if you search in XP. Pathetic. I have to go to an XP or Windows Server 2003 machine to search network drives.

Vista is a {censored} shoot. You may like the pretty Aero, but other than that it is just {censored}. I have finally tested it and I know what I am talking about and I don't care what ANY Windows fanboys say: Vista is an OS X want to be through and through and it sucks.

8. Inbuilt undelete

im thinking we can all asume its like time machine except not as good and without a kick ass ui...

My Toshiba P205 laptop came with Vista Home Premium.

I upgraded the 5400 RPM HD to a 7200 RPM HD and doubled the RAM to 2048 MBs to try and get a reasonable level of performance out of Vista; compared to OSX, Vista remained slow and subject to random crashes.

I finally decided to use the original 5400 RPM HD to experiment with a XP Home installer I had floating around. It took two days to find the drivers, but this laptop now works as well in Windows (aside from being attacked from every direction by hackers and viruses) as OS X...it screams.

I find it impossible to believe ANYONE is dim enough to applaud Vista.

Vista is like CRAWLING through mud; even in a top-end machine. I can't even guess how bad it must be in the average PC.

My respect for XP has quadrupled since the release of Vista.

I almost [gasp] feel XP is worthy of sharing a HD with OSX (I expect the Earth to stop turning in protest to such a comparison even as I write this).

Vista is like CRAWLING through mud; even in a top-end machine. I can't even guess how bad it must be in the average PC.

My respect for XP has quadrupled since the release of Vista.

I almost [gasp] feel XP is worthy of sharing a HD with OSX (I expect the Earth to stop turning in protest to such a comparison even as I write this).

It's actually not bad. A lot better than XP for me. :rolleyes:

it's actually not bad. A lot better than XP for me.

The only way Vista could be better than XP is if your XP system was badly compromised with garbage software (or viruses). I've seen XP systems running so many nonsense programs in the background it was amazing the system ran at all.

NEVER download garbage software like screen saver programs, spyware programs, internet based maintenance programs, toolbars, desktop enhancers, AOL, Yahoo, etc. into ANY computer; MAC or PC. All the average person needs for the internet is a properly maintained and updated computer, a web browser, a good antivirus program, and an internet connection...the rest is pure nonsense.

NOTE: You can skip the antivirus on a Mac, Mac antivirus programs exist only to prevent the accidental transmission of a PC virus to someone eles's Windows machine.

If you're a trash software junkie, your Vista install will be dead in record time (although, since Vista can barely run 50% of the software that comes pre-installed on a new machine, most trash probably won't even load; so you're safe for a while).

1. Vista performance and reliability is superior to XP. My XP is lited-down and STILL Vista is faster. My XP doesnt have any virii or spyware. I use CMD as my shell so it wouldnt even be able to run if I did have any. I also have never gotten a BSOD in Vista. I have in XP, but that was because I was using an unstable Nvidia driver.

2. Search indexing makes the HDD churn, just like OS X. Leave it for an hour or so and it will be fine. Same goes with OS X.

3. Aero always turns off when I game.

4. Home Premium ran fine when I had 512mb RAM. It now has 1.5gb, and is a lot faster. Vista uses the RAM to cache applications you use so they can run from RAM and not your HDD. My specs are P4 2.8GHz, 1.5GB RAM, GeForce 7800GS. I used to have a 6200 and Aero worked great even on that. The reason why Aero requires a better graphics card than OS X is because it has 1. blurring 2. overlays on the whole screen 3. color filters so you can change the color to ANYTHING 4. more transparency 5. Antialiased transitions 6. open-close animations

5. I have an iMac sitting on my desk, which I love just as much as my PC, so I can't be considered an MS fanboy.

6. Vista users don't have to pay for iLife when they do a clean install of a new OS. I got "iLife" for free when I installed Vista. Movie Maker is superior to iMovie in my opinion, since it doesn't take forever to render anything. DVD Maker is nice and simple. Worked great for me. Photo Gallery is a lot better than iPhoto. WMP doesn't lag like iTunes does on Windows.

7. UAC only pops up when you change a system setting or install something. It isn't any worse than OS X.

8. OS X has had over 100 unpatched flaws in the time that Vista only had about 40.

9. Only stupid people are stupid enough to catch a virus. Those "You Have 2 new messages" banners on web sites aren't real, dumbass.

10. The taskbar is superior to the dock. It takes up less room, and allows you to switch windows without having to cmd-tab. I find it a royal pain in the ass to work with a lot of windows on OS X. The dock gets to tiny so the windows are just a white blur. The start menu lets you see all of your programs.

11. ALL of my apps work. I run windows 3.x games such as Chips Challenge that work fine, Aero effects and all. Windows 3.x is a completely different OS, based on DOS and not the NT kernel. Can't say this about OS X and OS 9, can you. Programs that came with Windows 1.x still work.

Only stupid people are stupid enough to catch a virus. Those "You Have 2 new messages" banners on web sites aren't real, dumbass.

Seriously, how is an inexperienced computer user supposed to know that? Not everyone's a fucking computer genius in the world, and some people just don't know. How is that their faults? Nobody's ever told them! That's a terrible argument.