Ten reasons you should get Vista.

siddharth

203 posts in this topic

*sigh*

I have had a 90% positive experience with Windows Vista.

Installation was easy. It's fast, much faster than XP. It looks nice and it's more reliable.

It runs really quick on the PC in my sig, despite my weak graphics card.

The only problem I have with it is the slow bootloader and sleep mode not working since a recent update

Vista is the first truly usable "kids can't mess up mom's computer" MS OS. Why is this? Simply because of the fact that you can truly create users instead of administrators without any real trouble (XP was infinitely harder compared to Vista). I had this at my last teaching job (I ordered Vista specifically so my students cannot install without the administrative password and the principal was vehemently anti-Mac).

Needless to say, I left that job and went to a position where a Mac lab is possible (since teaching music tends to be Mac-centric).

*sigh*

I have had a 90% positive experience with Windows Vista.

Installation was easy. It's fast, much faster than XP. It looks nice and it's more reliable.

Is it only me who has found Vista incredibly unstable, from the early betas to the final, on no fewer than 4 different machines?

What I mean is that after running Windows Update or installing a supposedly compatible application (for instance Firefox) my system would break beyond repair.

Only recently I have been able to run Vista x64 quite stable (one of those isos with integrated updates).

This means in my book that Vista was released too early.

After SP1 Vista could be quite stable. However incompatibility with some/many older applications will most probably stay.

I still cannot believe MicroShaft still uses the same {censored} ass file system, its HORRIBLE. ZFS and ext3 are the way to go.

Ok, yes NTFS isn't the best. But, you have to understand businesses need NTFS for compatability. MS is in a tough spot atm:

Google is hurting them in the world of business desktops.

Apple is hurting them in the general desktop market. (Mind you PC sales continue to climb)

And Linux continues to be popular in the server market.

lol! but i found this funny to, that how many {censored} updates i had, when i logged in, it said i need 31 updates, that is crazy! this copy i installed from about christmas

HAHA man is that the truth or what. I got a new drive and thought I would just reinstall Vista U. WOW the list of updates It said I needed was unreal over a page long and there was still updates I didnt get. Been playing with my mac and you get this popup asking if you want to update.... and theres THREE on the list. Vista been running great havent added anything to it for a while. Booted into last night "BLUE SCREEN" right off the bat. You can guess at how many times my Mac has done that..."0". For ME with installing the same things on vista and mac the size of my vista was 42g OUCH yet mac was 26g.

well I for one don't really hate mac, I find directx rather absurd and that all the bigtime game makers keep using it, then you get forced into upgrading the whole o/s just to keep up with it. Then if you turn on a mac, you won't be able to run any of those games. Also most software available to download on the internet appears to be for windows based systems and there's still confusion on how that'll run on a mac to this day for the casual end user.

It would be nice to see apple get bigger and more mainstream than it already is, but fact of the matter is.. with all the bells and whistles you can put into this thing, people will hack it more if it is the one most people use. Why? money, greed, exploitation for jollies. There's really no need to argue for or against PC or mac, just as it is right now mac is a bit more secure than a windows box and I also believe that it has more promise although it is still lacking in development support. But I think most of what I speak of as far as development coincides with video games which one usually these days is smarter to buy a ps3 or an xbox for. I think I even heard a rumor that WoW is being ported over to 360.

And about these errors where you can only run windows for a short period of time? nonsense, unless you are speaking of those who bought the most substandard crappy hardware you can buy then yeah I can see where it'll crash no matter what o/s you put on the thing. And I see above poster's point, if you buy a mac you are always getting genuine hardware. But I have used macs long ago that freeze up if you go to read a book and then try to move the mouse. So macs haven't been flawless either. Whenever I own a pc that crashes or does other random irritating stuff, it soon finds its way out of my case and another one replaces it. But at least I don't have to replace the entire box to do that. PC's are more for the people who like to modify things and make their own system. When you buy that cheap $500 Dell that was prepackaged and assembled, you can damn sure expect that it'll be slow or have other problems.

Anyhow all in all I'm impressed with Mac OSX from what I have seen. I want to get this osx86 up and running so I can work with it a bit more. I like the idea of having such a nice stable GUI interface over unix, though I also do understand that the hardcore unix users don't really use KDE/Gnome/etc very often. I've been in bash enough to know how multitasking really works compared to a windows box ;)

When you buy that cheap $500 Dell that was prepackaged and assembled, you can damn sure expect that it'll be slow or have other problems.

Yep! We just converted a customer from a dell to a Mac mini and they are amazed at how much better (and nicer) the Mac is. I guess you could say that in a round about way Dell sells Macs :(

But I think most of what I speak of as far as development coincides with video games which one usually these days is smarter to buy a ps3 or an xbox for. I think I even heard a rumor that WoW is being ported over to 360.

Something dubbed 'Word of Warcraft: Azeroth Adventures' is being made for the xbox360. God forbid Blizzard just do a nice, cheap port. And I really don't think consoles are the best route, if you have the means PC for the win.

Yep! We just converted a customer from a dell to a Mac mini and they are amazed at how much better (and nicer) the Mac is. I guess you could say that in a round about way Dell sells Macs :(

Damn straight. One nice thing about the Mac, is that its guaranteed to work.

Yep! We just converted a customer from a dell to a Mac mini and they are amazed at how much better (and nicer) the Mac is. I guess you could say that in a round about way Dell sells Macs :D

I would switch to a commodore from a dell. :(

do u guys rly think i could do this on windows vista?

picture1xz6.png

honestly now

Come again? It isn't THAT bad. (the white spot is from last night... er, a bug in my windowblinds skin)

post-13439-1190071371_thumb.jpg

I thought that IE would take it down, though. :(

I will give you my own 10 reasons to avoid "Vista", agh, Micro$oft, leave in peace my language.

1 Don't want to waste a partition for it.

2 Don't want to waste time downloding it.

3 Don't want to waste space disk with the download.

4 Don't want to waste time installing it.

5 Don't want to waste time tunning it up.

6 Don't want to waste time learning it.

7 Don't want to waste time using it.

8 Don't want to waste time removing virus.

9 Don't want to waste time removing it.

10 Don't want to waste my mind thinking about it.

Also,

I dont want to waste time by reinstalling it very week

I dont want to waste time by seeing blue screen every day

I dont want to waste time by patching it every day

I dont want to waste time in restoring the services every week, after panic.

I dont want to waste time by talking about Vista.

Lets be honest.Mac is like..... computer "lite", computer for dummies, computer 101. All they do is take stuff thats already been done, simplify & dumb it down, then call it their own (like the invented it or something

You just described Windows perfectly. Windows 95 was a dumbed down version of Mac 89. Prior to Windows 95, Microsoft sheep said "The Mac OS is for dummies; it's for people who need a no brainer computer". Then, when microsoft introduced their version of the Mac OS (Win 95), the true dummies announced "WOW...Microsoft is really smart".

I'm genuinely embarrassed for all of them.

When Windows 95 was introduced, Microsoft was at least 6 years behind Apple. As of Longhorn/Vista, they’re now equal to Mac 95...an easy 10+ years out-of-date. (Vista is a crude copy of Mac OS 7; oddly enough, XP is about equal to Mac OS 9.2)

NOTE: OS 7 was a complete dog until version 7.6. XP started out at about Mac 8.1 (roughly equal to Apple 1996 or 1997), but Microsoft's screen-door security made the upward climb a nightmare; trying to plug all those little holes (one by one by one by one) cost them billions. At least half those holes are still wide open in Vista...Apple, on the other hand, just scrapped the obsolete and started over.

No wonder Bill is bailing; but why do the sheep keep lining up to be sheared?

One of my computers is a Mac PPC 9500 built in 1995 (originally running Vista: read OS 7). It now has a 1GHz processor and 2GB of RAM. I bought it for $25.00 at a garage sale in 1999; since then I've used it to generate over $100,000 worth of income. I rarely use it now; but I keep the OS pretty much up to date (10.4.8/9.2 right now), and it still boots perfectly. It works far better than any 5 year old Dell, but the 50MHz bus just doesn't cut it anymore.

It's sweater season over at microsoft :P

funny, its not winter yet, so they must be making useless sweaters. :P also, saying that windows vista is 10 years behind is wrong, maybe in features, but in nothing else, its a modern day os. it sucks, but its still modern day

Like the new i-tunes "ringtone" feature. I did that kind of stuff YEARS AGO. and for free.

Congratulations for publicly admitting that you broke Copyright laws :)

So they simplified it and acted like its something new.

Actually some of the features ARE new to ringtone editors.

And whats worst is that they are charging people who are to ignorant to know better.

Could you please be less vague? Charging people for what, the original song, the ringtone or both?