Ten reasons you should get Vista.

siddharth

203 posts in this topic

5. Antialiased transitions

Last time I saw, Flip 3D does not have anti-aliased edges...does it not?

Movie Maker is superior to iMovie in my opinion, since it doesn't take forever to render anything.

Well, which output format are you using? If you were to use H.264 HQ, then it would take literally 45mins to encode somthing that is 10mins. If you use XVid encoding, with the same quaity settings as the H.264 (which has the best quality), then to enode a 10min video it only takes 7 mins. There are tons of export formats in iMovie (6 HD), and there are tonnes more options in iMovie than Windows Movie Maker, which includes transitions, special effects, audio tracks/loops, etc, etc. I'm talking about iMovie 6 HD though...I hate iMovie 08, becuase that I believe, is almost on par with Windows Movie maker...visually has the Apple touch...but feature wise is near Movie Maker....which I don't like. I Movie 6 HD however, is light years ahead of Movie maker imo.

Photo Gallery is a lot better than iPhoto.

:P X2

I find it a royal pain in the ass to work with a lot of windows on OS X.

Why don't you just hav all the windows open, and just use Expose to switch between them? It's much faster than the taskbar under Windows imo.

rograms that came with Windows 1.x still work.

That's exactly why the OS will be exploitable, becuase of insecure legacy code. It was the same reason why Windows XP (for the most part) was insecure, becuase of all the loopholes that could be taken advantage of in the legacy code support. :)

Last time I saw, Flip 3D does not have anti-aliased edges...does it not?

Yes, it does. Window animations have them, too. I don't see any in Genie

Well, which output format are you using? If you were to use H.264 HQ, then it would take literally 45mins to encode somthing that is 10mins. If you use XVid encoding, with the same quaity settings as the H.264 (which has the best quality), then to enode a 10min video it only takes 7 mins. There are tons of export formats in iMovie (6 HD), and there are tonnes more options in iMovie than Windows Movie Maker, which includes transitions, special effects, audio tracks/loops, etc, etc. I'm talking about iMovie 6 HD though...I hate iMovie 08, becuase that I believe, is almost on par with Windows Movie maker...visually has the Apple touch...but feature wise is near Movie Maker....which I don't like. I Movie 6 HD however, is light years ahead of Movie maker imo.

Movie Maker has more transitions, and can export to very high quality. Have you tried the Vista one?

:P X2

What's so special about iPhoto? You guys JUST got events support. It's the same as folders. Vista puts your photos into folders automatically.

Why don't you just hav all the windows open, and just use Expose to switch between them? It's much faster than the taskbar under Windows imo.

How is it faster? You have to push buttons.

That's exactly why the OS will be exploitable, becuase of insecure legacy code. It was the same reason why Windows XP (for the most part) was insecure, becuase of all the loopholes that could be taken advantage of in the legacy code support. :)

This was a response to applications not running in Vista. I myself do believe that this 16-bit support needs to go from Vista. They already have removed it in the 64-bit version.

I will give you my own 10 reasons to avoid "Vista", agh, Micro$oft, leave in peace my language.

1 Don't want to waste a partition for it.

2 Don't want to waste time downloding it.

3 Don't want to waste space disk with the download.

4 Don't want to waste time installing it.

5 Don't want to waste time tunning it up.

6 Don't want to waste time learning it.

7 Don't want to waste time using it.

8 Don't want to waste time removing virus.

9 Don't want to waste time removing it.

10 Don't want to waste my mind thinking about it.

a for vista this one of the reasons i odnt like it one it dont have the right drivers for the computer most of my hardware is incompatible but it is compatible for xp

two my old software that works in xp or my old dos software dont work in vista

it is pretty and i have even custimised it for a costum dvd but as for not having xp on my computer wont do with out it or mac os x is better then vista

Lemmings commit mass suicide; sheep follow blindly. Anyone posting at this site has, at the very least, the ability to wean themselves from the Microsoft tit...it’s merely a question of also having the balls to admit the Microsoft shepherds are foul.

I personally wouldn't allow my loved ones to emerge themselves in the Vista cesspool.

Lemmings commit mass suicide; sheep follow blindly. Anyone posting at this site has, at the very least, the ability to wean themselves from the Microsoft tit...it’s merely a question of also having the balls to admit the Microsoft shepherds are foul.

I personally wouldn't allow my loved ones to emerge themselves in the Vista cesspool.

u know whats weird is that i dont know anyone in real life that actually runs windows vista. i have an inspiron 700m with vista on it, but that doesnt count because it barely can run. leopard on this other hand, is evolutionary, but the improvements are so numerous that the whole experience of using it is so much better.

Here is my take on the Vista/XP thing. I purchased a top end HP laptop in 2004 which had XP Professional SP2 (just released) installed. It had a great processor and 512 ram, and 160 gig hard drive. Out of the box, it ran great. I did become slower when I loaded a good deal of high end software on it (CS2 suite, etc), but in general, it is still fairly snappy. Well, my laptop finally began dying this spring and had this incessant desire to shut off at the most inopportune times, so I decided it was time to upgrade (although I think a simple heat core and fan replacement will return it to it's former reliability).

This time I went with a Dell E1505 and plugged it full of max ram, hard drive, and a pretty fast processor. I figured that Vista Home Premium had been out for a while and decided that I would give it a try. I have been *so* disappointed in it from the start. Out of the box, it was very slow to load. The administrative features are simply annoying to me, and I only recently discovered how to shut them off, as I am the only user of this computer, there is no need to lock it down and make me click OK 50 times to move a small thing or install a program. Most of the programs I had to begin with are "not compatable" including my Antivirus package that still has a 2 year subscription on it, but can't be used. The task manager is annoying to get to, because to use it, it blanks out the screen and there are extra clicks to use it (unless you select it from the task bar, something I found out in the last week or so, and then it isn't that bad, but normally I have to use it because of some lockup, so the CTRL-ALT-DEL method works much better). I got my laptop in June, and I have reinstalled twice and am looking at a 3rd reinstall in the near future. I actually really would like to downgrade to XP again, but figure that I might as well chug it out until the service pack releases. BUT...sometimes I wonder if I will be able to.

So, here is my general thoughts...on equally high end systems (the HP was high end in it's time and the Dell is high end now), XP beats the heck out of Vista. I do believe Vista is capable of becoming a great OS, but without a service pack, it is simply an annoyance to me, and one I hope will be resolved soon.

Jennifer

PS...I do a tradeout web design account for a local computer repair company, and they have told me they have had nothing but trouble on the Vista systems they have encountered, and have resumed recommendinig XP Professional SP2. They told me they have had more Vista systems come in that 2000 and XP systems combined. Also, another technician I deal with (unrelated to the other ones) said he refuses to install Vista right now, because most of his past Vista customers he had dealt with were so unhappy he would have to remove it and install something different. He said there were some happy customers, but so many bad he was worried that customers would be so dissatisfied that he would lose clients.

This time I went with a Dell E1505

If you are using restore disk instead of an actual Windows DVD, that may be your problem. My mother recently purchased a Dell inspiron laptop with Vista on it. I went into 'Programs and Features' and there was so much preinstalled bloat it was insane. There were installers for AOL, Earthlink and Netzero. It also came with Google Desktop and Google Sidebar, which slowed things way down (google desktop and windows search were indexing). The list of useless bloat-ware goes on and on, I should have taken a screenshot.

What really cracks me up is the people who say they hate Apple while owning modified Macs. I'm not talking about OS X, I'm talking about the machine itself; the Mouse, USB, Firewire, the Graphics User Interface and many other advances are pure Apple Macintosh. Every PC out there is a counterfit Mac; most running cheap hardware and a substandard OS. If you hate Apple, you best toss that Dell "imitation Mac" in the nearest dumpster...otherwise you're nothing but a raving hypocrite.

What really cracks me up is the people who say they hate Apple while owning modified Macs. I'm not talking about OS X, I'm talking about the machine itself; the Mouse, USB, Firewire, the Graphics User Interface and many other advances are pure Apple Macintosh. Every PC out there is a counterfit Mac; most running cheap hardware and a substandard OS. If you hate Apple, you best toss that Dell "imitation Mac" in the nearest dumpster...otherwise you're nothing but a raving hypocrite.

that...is what people are supposed to say :)

I've installed a "stripped" version of Vista last week that I downloaded off my favorite Torrent site, and wow, is it ever quick.

TBH, I've never had such a fast computer experience. I'm sure the computer will lag after some heavy usage, but when MS Word 07 boots up as soon as I click it, I have no need for complaints.

well, my hack is full of {censored}, i have tonz of apps and deamons running, my two screens are full(and when i say full they are full) of files. i have installed apps, moved, upgraded, deleted and messed up the whole system(i have about 300 mb free right now).

well, this mac installation is up and kicking since... let's see... 06/oct/2006, and it's still fast/stable/no crashes as it was the first time i've run it

now, in my experience i've seen that an xp installation can stay up w/out glitches on heavy usage for a month, then it decrases performances/stability and i have to format it (at least) twice a year, but it was still acceptable

for vista... well ehmm... when i realized that after a week:

- it was still caching on the hdd whole the time(and i'm still asking myself what the hell was it caching whole the day) and keep in mind i have 2 GBs of ram...

- temperatures jumped up of 10°C more in idle time, and more in heavy usage

- all the stupid popups showing, for every stupid thing, what the.. if i click to "open" a system tool it's supposed that yes i'm sure i want to open it! wasn't it better if they did popups ONLY for actions that actually do edits on the system?

- it's not as fast as XP, yet at least

- still, it has problems with some compilers, that, just don't work

- memory usages are extremely high

- boot sequence slowed down a lot

- more...

i just said bye vista! i'll install you when i'm forced to!

i have a copy of a stripped down vista lying on my table... i touched it once a few months ago when i still had my ibm thinkpad.. was dual booting vista and mac...

vista BSOD on me upon startup.. how crazy can that get? i hard to start vista like a few times before it got to work well.. my os x never hung on me on startup... never failed me once before.. well, i'm now happy with my sr mbp and vista aint gonna taint my mbp...

stripped down vista lying on my table...vista BSOD on me upon startup.. how crazy can that get?

So it was modified Vista then? You can't entirely blame MS if thats the case.

Lawl, what really cracks me up is when people say 'I prefer [Discount Paper Brand] over Xerox paper'. It's like, OMFG Xerox didn't always make computer paper, you know? Like they made the first PC with a mouse and ethernet. Pretty much every Mac out there is a imitation Alto or Star. If you like to save 10 cents on computer paper, throw your computer into the recycle bin... otherwise your nothing but a penny-pinching troll.

Xerox Alto- 1973

Xerox Star- 1981

Macintosh- 1984

Windows 1.0- 1985

Windows 2.0- 1987

Windows 95- 1995 (the first version of Windows truly like a Macintosh)

Apple got the 'kitchen sink' from Xerox. Microsoft stole the 'kitchen sink' from Apple. Does it really matter that Apple was 'given' all of PARC's research and Microsoft stole it? In the grand scheme of things, no. Does it matter that Apple had 11 years with more advanced technology than Microsoft, and Windows is the #1 OS today? I think so.

Erei33, whatever the {censored} that means...hope you realize that E3 was started by apple in 1994...

MACROX!!! whatever the {censored} that means.. hope you realize that E3 is an abbreviation of erei33. I made that avatar to be cool and fit in with the CS3 avatar trend, as CS3 icons use two letters.

Learn your facts before you say anything, thanks.

Kk, I will follow your example.

GO OPERATING SYSTEM DIVERSITY!!!

Wow...how old are you...13 years old...GTFO

PS CS3 is that even compatible with windows? I was on my friends and nothing was compatible with windows, like key features that you NEED...

For example, iMovie > Windows Movie Maker and also Garage Band is prolly the best start up program ever...

Got anything left...or you to busy getting pwnd?

Wow...how old are you...13 years old...GTFO

You are so mature.

PS CS3 is that even compatible with windows? I was on my friends and nothing was compatible with windows, like key features that you NEED...

Yah, it is... Oh nothing was compatbile with Windows eh?

For example, iMovie > Windows Movie Maker

Depends on who you ask.

and also Garage Band is prolly the best start up program ever...

Oh yea, since GB is used for 'start up'

Got anything left...or you to busy getting pwnd?

[sarcasm] You are amazing. Wow, I give up now [/sarcasm]