Ten reasons you should get Vista.

siddharth

203 posts in this topic

First of all, please don't feed the trolls :graduated: Back to our thread...

Apple got the 'kitchen sink' from Xerox.

This is urban myth that keeps getting unnecessarily repeated :( I could see windows fanboy's keep repeating this myth but not an educated Mac user. Douglas Engelbart of the Stanford Research Institute invented the mouse way back in 1963. An improved version of this mouse was then made by Bill English (who also helped on Douglas Engelbart's mouse) almost ten years later in 1972 while he was working for Xerox, but Xerox did NOT want to sell the idea to Apple. Xerox saw no practical application for it and felt that it would only strain the business relationship between Xerox and Apple, so they tried their best to talk Steve Jobs out of buying it. It was Steve Jobs's VISION that made the mouse/computers what they are known of as today. Once Apple polished how the mouse would work - then Microsoft stole it from Apple. I am glad that Douglas Engelbart is finally getting the recognition that he deserves. Imagine making something that ends up changing the world for the better :wallbash:

Many people mistakenly believe that the mouse was invented by Apple. Others believe that Steve Jobs stole the idea from Xerox, where the mouse was used on an early office PC called the Star. But in truth, the mouse was first conceived of by Doug Engelbart in the early 1960's, then a scientist at the Stanford Research Institute.link
Additional links here and here.

I am glad that Douglas Engelbart is finally getting the recognition that he deserves. Imagine making something that ends up changing the world for the better :(

I checked your sources and: your right. Thanks for informing me.

It was Steve Jobs's VISION that made the mouse/computers what they are known of as today.

I see.. His vision (abusive treatment of employees) also made him 'resign'.

Once Apple polished how the mouse would work - then Microsoft stole it from Apple.

Damn, MS has great timing.

You know I have great respect for you, and it didn't feel right seeing you repeat the same incorrect myth that everyone else does :)

Thanks, I do as well. We are always arguing it seems (You on the Mac Side, and me on the PC side), but we never resort to blind fanboyism. It also never gets 'hostile'. :P

i have a copy of vista installed on a 15gb partition. the rest of my drive is xp. it will always be that way. windows crapta is just that; {censored}. the visual effects were designed to compete with apple's, but can that really justify the 500mb of ram they take up. a clean boot from a fresh install starts with OVER 50 processes! And the "security enhancements" are just plain nauseating. As for direct x 10, its common knowledge that opengl is much more efficient performance wise. imo, microsoft doesnt want to change over because they dont want to admit they were wrong. the user interface as stated in point one was designed for the age of video and digital photography, but what about productivity. pictures look nice; words are efficient.

in short, windows vista is like windshield washer fluid: it looks like kool-aid, it smells like kool-aid, but one taste of it will leave you writhing in pain.

Vista isn't all that bad, I have it running stable and fast for 6 months now. The updates are only making it better.

Media Center is good.

Anyone running it on less than 2GB. Will find it annoying sometimes.

I'm becoming indifferent between the OSes. They both have their pros and cons.

i am a linux fan all the way. but one thing i will point out is that its been less than a year since vista was released and already the next MAJOR release is out (ie SP1). It should have been stable enough upon release that the SP1 wouldnt be needed for a couple more months at least.

Steve Wozniak built the first Apple, the Apple 1, in 1975, the Apple II+ was introduced in 1979...I owned one. The mouse was an optional accessory, but I had one of those too.

Why is Windows the best selling OS? Because it's the only cheap way to legally own Apple technology. Do you know why Mac OSs didn't have a "My Computer" until recently (and this extra menu was written in for confused Windows users), because the desktop IS the "My Computer" and "Windows Explorer" and Apple has a patent on it Microsoft has been unable to break for years. It's obvious E3 owns an artificial Mac and it burns his/her tail. I wouldn't take back a word I wrote:

What really cracks me up is the people who say they hate Apple while owning modified Macs. I'm not talking about OS X, I'm talking about the machine itself; the Mouse, USB, Firewire, the Graphic User Interface and many other advances are pure Apple Macintosh. Every PC out there is a counterfeit Mac; most running cheap hardware and a substandard OS. If you hate Apple, you best toss that Dell "imitation Mac" in the nearest dumpster...otherwise you're nothing but a raving hypocrite.

The Mouse, USB, Firewire, the Graphic User Interface and many other advances are Apple. When they were invented, and by who, is secondary; Apple put them in the computer you're using right now...not Xerox, Microsoft, Dell or any of the other techno-thieves.

I always pay Apple, I want them to continue to push back the borders of home computers...no one else has bothered. They just steal technology from Apple.

Yep, this is true people.

Lets be honest.

Mac is like..... computer "lite", computer for dummies, computer 101. All they do is take stuff thats already been done, simplify & dumb it down, then call it their own(like the invented it or something :() Like the new i-tunes "ringtone" feature. I did that kind of stuff YEARS AGO. and for free. So they simplified it and acted like its something new. And whats worst is that they are charging people who are to ignorant to know better. The apple products are simply over-priced......... ALL OF THEM. And for what? because its apple? because its slick and shiny and "cool" looking.

I must admit, they do set some benchmarks like like having an 8-core processor. And a 160gb mp3 player. I have never seen this outside of apple and the only thing that even makes apple worth it is the stability of the OS..... and eventually it will be all be available for PC's too. The macs are upgradeable, but barely. I want something that I can keep upgrading for 10 years and not have to buy a whole new computers. And there are new products dropping every other day, and thats makes me too nervous to even drop some serious cash on an apple product. Because who knows when they will decide to drop something 10x better for half of the price. Could be tomorrow

I'm trying real hard to see why i should dish out so much extra money to get a mac. I really want one. But for the prices I have to say NO.

LOL :wacko: Good luck with that :whistle:
okay, i might have exaggerated a little :rolleyes: , but you get the point
overpriced? $250 for an 80gb mp3 player is a great price!
yea, thats because nobody else has a 80gb mp3 player out. Or at least not in a package like that.

I want something that I can keep upgrading for 10 years and not have to buy a whole new computers.

This makes me think that you have never built or even upgraded a computer. In the best of cases, after 2 years a computer is not worth upgrading (but 1 year is more like it).

Unless of course by upgrading you mean replacing the mobo and almost everything else (but that is a new computer).

*sigh*

I have had a 90% positive experience with Windows Vista.

Installation was easy. It's fast, much faster than XP. It looks nice and it's more reliable.

It runs really quick on the PC in my sig, despite my weak graphics card.

The only problem I have with it is the slow bootloader and sleep mode not working since a recent update

ok, while i do agree that it is fast, but on the right hardware. my macbook pro gets a score of 5.7. but my old dell inspiron gets a 3.0. but the thing that amazed me, is that my 2 year old windows gaming machine, cant even run aero!