Was Steve Right About the Default Wallpaper in Leopard?

Takuro

Default Aqua Wallpaper  

310 members have voted

1. 1. Would you say you've used the Aqua wallpaper for a good amount of time?

• Yes
    • No

53 posts in this topic

Straight from the mouth of Steve Jobs: "We decided not to make a blue wallpaper for Leopard because nobody used it. We found people used their own digital photos."

Some could argue that Steve is, yet again, making up his own statistics for the sake of strengthening his opinions. Personally, I know a lot of people who chose to use the default Tiger wallpaper. If I get tired of a wallpaper, I find myself going back to it. A lot of people have made wallpapers inspired by Apple's design. In fact, their wallpaper has been iconic for each release of OS X so far.

Of course, the audience's initial reaction to seeing the new grass wallpaper was utter laughter. So do you really think what Steve said is true?

I must admit I do use the default wallpaper. I think it’s a big mistake that Apple have decided against using a new one for leopard. You only have to look at how many times it or similar wallpapers are used for advertising other companies PC's. Imitation is the sincerest for of flattery

I use the new Leopard wallpaper :( When I first got my mac, I did use the Aqua wallpaper for a couple of weeks, but soon after I did start using my own, or the clownfish one (that one should have been the default). I would guess that there probably will be some type of Aqua-type wallpaper included with Leopard, so I think everyone will be happy in the end.

I used the default Tiger since the first day I had Tiger, now I use Leopards. The same goes for when I had Jag.

BIG MISTAKE. When you saw a computer with that background, it signified a Mac, now it's just gunna be a random background. It's like McDonalds saying "Well, a lot of kids buy happy meals but don't eat all of the fries, so we're removing them completely." It just seems like they're too lazy to make one this time around, it's a shame...

I was originally using it for quite a while. Then I got bored, and started switching it up every so often. And then I switched it back, and it just makes everything much more Mac-like for some reason, so I like it. And I'm hoping they include a new one in Leopard, if not, I'll probably just use Tiger's a lot of the time.

I used the default Tiger wallpaper for a while. It made me feel more "Mac-y" when I used it. You always see the wallpaper in the Mac ads, and its something I have come to associate with Macintosh computers. Each major 10.X release has had a cool, iconic wallpaper and I'll be dissapointed if Leopard lacks one.

In a way, the one they are showing off is iconic in that it's different than anything else that they've shipped before. Just because it's not a swirl of blue it's not any less of a mac wallpaper. Take bliss in XP for example. Once you see an image associated with a product for a long enough time, you'll eventually be thinking of that wallpaper as Apple. And I bet Leopard will come with a cool blue wallpaper for those that want one. :)

I've always been a big fan of the abstract wallpapers Apple made. It would be a shame for them to stop the trend. And I also find myself using the default Aqua Tiger wallpaper every now and then. However, it's just the beta, so it doesn't mean that the shades of grass with the beta is the official default Leopard wallpaper.

- Sb.

I should've voted halfway through, but since it's a Yes-or-No pool I have to vote yes because even if I'm constantly switching Desktop Pictures sometimes the nostalgia settles in and I switch back to the default Aqua Blue.

Plus, when Steve said "we found out nobody uses them anyway" my reaction was "that's not true, I use them".

Though I must admit I didn't like the pre-Panther ones that much...

I think we geeks are more attached to the default abstract wallpapers because they represent Mac OS X in a way, and we feel a certain connection to our operating system.

Normal users, on the other hand, feel no such connection, and throw up photos of friends or family as their wallpaper.

I think we geeks are more attached to the default abstract wallpapers because they represent Mac OS X in a way, and we feel a certain connection to our operating system.

Normal users, on the other hand, feel no such connection, and throw up photos of friends or family as their wallpaper.

u call this my family backround, btw, this is my actual backround

i mean hot girls and borat, what more could u want

Picture_2.png

I'm sure they aren't about to throw away any existing Aqua wallpapers. They always release new operating systems with all the walls of every prior OS X included, creating an ever-expanding collection of Apple-designed wallpapers. I just wonder if they will make a new wallpaper. Steve said directly that they didn't make one, but in the 4 months leading to Leopard's release, a lot of things are subject to change.

The grass wallpaper is reportedly visible as the backdrop of the Leopard login screen, which means that it just might be the official wallpaper of Leopard. Well, at least for the WWDC beta release.

I think OS X 10.5 server has a shoreline photo as its default wallpaper.