What's the best bittorrent client?

77 posts in this topic

So I've used Azureus for a year or so now, and I've always been pretty happy with it, except for the fact that it uses a lot of CPU resources and is a little slow as a program.

I tried uTorrent a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

For Windows or OS X, which client do you use? I've also tried Transmission on a Mac, and it seems good as well, although I do sorta miss the cluttered UI of Azureus that told me a ton more than I needed to know. :angel:

I've never found much of a difference between any of them, other than some crashing more or using more RAM. Then again, I only use BT for the occasional TV show that I missed.

I like Tomato Torrent on OSX, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used Bits on Wheels on MacOS and am pretty happy with the interface. It seems to run fairly decent even though it is not Universal yet. On Windows I used to use Azureus, but now I am using uTorrent because Azureus had major memory leakage and ate up my CPU cycles.

Azureus is the best. Hands down, no issues... I don't know what memory leak you are talking about Nickhamm. What version of Azureus? :poster_oops:

No contest.

Azureus is the only decent client on OS X but it's laggy, resource intensive and basically java bloatware.

If you need a really lightweight feature packed client and have a Windows box to host it off then try this.

ABC Torrent

If you want to use it from your mac (or from anywhere for that matter) simply set up the Web based interface and put this up on a web server somewhere.

For extra security you should password protect the directory using .htaccess if you can.

I host this at mydomain.com/abc and I set up a user/pass for getting into that folder.

The "leakage" is a pun, for those who aren't in on the joke. Azureus' problem lies in the Java engine it depends on, which just makes it gobble up system resources like a fat kid on Value Meal, hence the "leakage".

For a no frills BT app, I'd recommend Transmission, as it has proven time and again to be the fastest bit-guzzler in the Mac Galaxy. And it's written from ground up to be system resource friendly. However its biggest problem right now is that it doesn't have DHT (Distributed Hash Table) layer support. As a result many torrents simply don't work on this client.

• 1 month later...

to be honest, i used to be a Big fan of Azureus back in my Windows Days.. lol. i find the UI on Azureus horrible in OS X.

No i would like to promote Transmission, nice more mac'ish UI. Works just as well as Azureus in my experience.

Transmission-200602111757.png

utorrent on windows

ktorrent on linux (kde ofcourse, as good as or better than utorrent)

azureus on OS X (I'd like to find a better one though)

the key to using any of them is to manually forward a port on your router rather than use upnp

Maybe it's changed in the year or so since I used it, but as much as I like KDE (KDE WOOOOOO!), ktorrent stinks (stunk?). It starts downloading at the beginning... and goes through each piece little by little, till it gets to the end. Naturally, it goes very slow and I was wondering what was taking it until I opened up the torrent in Azureus....

But my favorite BT client in Linux by far is rtorrent. Simple, lightweight, console-based, extremely efficient (read: bandwidth go boom and argh), and fast as you'll let it be.

I haven't gotten rtorrent to build on my macs ever (I've only tried it on the MacBook, so support is probably still not there yet), so I've used Bits on Wheels because it's really cool. I haven't tried it on my MacBook just yet (it isn't Unibin right now), but I'll look at Transmission even though it doesn't seem to have all the features I want, just because it has nice aesthetics to it.

In my opinion, Azureus is the best on any platform, but since it's a resource hog (JAVA GAHHH) and I don't have any computers with RAM to spare, I don't use it.

I used to never give ktorrent a try but I can assure you it is nice now. It does seem to download the first half of the torrent before the end half but It didn't seem to compromize speed. (i stopped ktorrent and resumed with azureus and kt was faster). the options allow you to choose memory imprint size, etc. but for some reason you have to enable the sys tray icon :thumbsup_anim: