Have you disabled UAC on Vista?

Neonkoala

Have you disabled UAC on Vista?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Have you disabled UAC on Vista?

• Yes
    • No

31 posts in this topic

I'm just curious to see how many people running with Administrator priviledges have disabled UAC (User Account Control) on their copy of Vista permanently. Please vote be you Mac or PC user as it's just a general thing to get an idea of numbers. I currently have disabled it and no problems yet *touches wood* :thumbsup_anim:. Thanks.

i cant decide which to answer, I enabled vista's hidden admin account (no uac, full control over system files, registry, etc.), and downgraded the account i created during setup to a standard user, and i always use the standard user account

I haven't had it whine about reactivating it since the initial 20 or so "ARe you sure you want to do this?" questions. Perhaps it's something to do with the Norton suppression technique to stop Windows security alerts...

From Neonkoala:

*touches wood*

From siddharth:

*touches wood too*

You guys are gross. We didn't need to hear that.

:)

I don't run Vista, but if I did, I'd most likely disable UAC. It just seems like Microsoft is trying to treat me like a n00b.

I don't take kindly to being treated like a n00b.

I'm actually surprised about the poll's results. I would've thought 85% or more of people disabled UAC. If somebody makes a virus aimed at Vista, it's going to infect your system if you're dumb enough to click the wrong ad, UAC or not. If I wanted to click a confirmation box every time I deleted or renamed a file, well... (thinks of something smart to say)... well I don't want to, so there. :wallbash:

Common sense is my UAC and its been working well.

No, I'm not. It's far less annoying then it was in the betas and release candidates, and I barely see it anymore. It's only annoying in the beginning when you're trying to setup your system. Once everything's settled, you won't know it's there.

Plus, I've caught sites such as UGOPlayer and even Yahoo trying to install add-ons. I like when it does that.

Ya when your setting it up it is such a pain...especially when your installing a full 250 gb's worth of PROGGIES onto your PC...That was like 4 hours of my life wasted because of UAC. :whistle:

I have it disabled, but I'm often tempted to re-enable it... I like being secure.

I think they could make it much less annoying if they did two things:

1) When moving, deleting, copying, etc, there's no need for UAC to come up, AND have to click "Yes, I'm sure"

2) While the secure desktop bit (the darkened background when UAC, fyi) is a great feature, the small time it takes to activate is jarring and intrusive. Even adding a fade to the dim would be great. We've got Aero, right? Use it!

When I saw that Apple Mac/PC UAC commercial I laughed my guts out because they hit it so painfully bang-on. UAC is just flat out really bad security. Why? Because security with a bad UI is bad security. As such it doesn't really do much for security. http://geekswithblogs.net/robp/archive/200.../26/112779.aspx IMO Vista overall isn't horrible, it has some good stuff in there. 64-bit is a lot tighter than any past Windows security because they are doing things like actually using a lot of the increasing list of security features that have been built into x86 CPUs for sometime. But UAC itself is just plain brutal.

So what is really good protection? I've had a high speed connection ADSL connection to the internet for about 8 years now, running one variety or other of Windows NT (I personally dumped DOS when Windows NT was still version 1.0, which was an Alpha release). I've never used an active virus checker. Never had a firewall running on the PC. I turn all that {censored} off because it's real effect is bogging the {censored} out of my machine and costing me hardware $$$.

So over those 8 years I must have had virus upon spyware, right? Nope, I've had 2, only two infestations. One a relatively benign adware program and the other that worm that pushed itself in over the open SQLServer port (even when you didn't have SQLServer installed *rolls eyes*). The later was a bit of a pain and cost me a few hours to fix because it would reboot shortly after startup (after trying a bunch of propagation attempts) so you had to disable it quickly before it crashed your machine and then remove it. That was after, inbetween crashes, tracking down on the internet WTF was going on. But that was back before I had dropped the cab fare for a cheap router and I was just doing protection by manually turning off services that had no use for being there....and missed that SQLServer one (and Microsoft has been bad about leaving stuff on that doesn't have much use). The adware was because I forgot to logout and my son, 9 years old at the time, went to some game site and installed some POS something or other. Normally he doesn't get access to an Administrator account.

So the protection that works (as in lets you get work done) is a combination of manually scanning my machine everyone in a while just to make sure nothing has gotten through coupled with not installing pr0n viewer EXEs and paying attention when I'm doing things. Oh, and always showing file extentions. :pirate2: And not being logged in as Administrator (AKA one step away from root) if you don't know WTF you are doing or have no use being there.

So yes I most defiantely have UAC, and Defender and all that other bloat, turned off.....except on testbed machines. I try to do my part in having that software I author trigger UACs as seldom as feasible for the poor souls that do have UAC turned on.

I haven't turned it off, but I'm SO tempted. I keep it on for the extra security, but man, could they give it like a 5 minute up time or something? It's when I have to say allow like 3 times in a row that drives me insane. Yes, I want to install that driver/program, if I said yes, why wouldn't I want it to allow access to some file or do something else in order for it to finish!! grr!!!

I had UAC disabled on my Vista installation. Now I have disabled Vista and replaced it with OSX on my main computer :-)... my next computer will be a mac.... (I have been using PC's since 1984, DOS version 1.1......). I think that Vista will be a huge success, almost as successful as Windows Millennium or Microsoft BOB (anybody remember?) :( ....

I disabled UAC the moment I installed Vista. I also disabled Superfetch and uninstalled Windows Defender.

Everything runs smoother and nag-free now.

Superfetch used to hog large amounts of RAM whenever it was active.

Yes i have disabled the Uac sucks ,well every confirmation of something in any OS sucks.

Off topic: Wow Universe_JDJ posting out of the thunderdome.... the apocalipse is near !

It was the first thing to be disabled on this laptop! It even asks you if you want to turn UAC off and then it bugs you about it being off so you have to change more settings to stop that from happening. Now it's off though Vista is a more enjoyable experience in general seeing as I don't get interrogated for fiddling with files. Plus when I install software I can do it in peace. :poster_oops: