The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

Hi. I have one question from my friend. He installed on his laptop (the same like mine) osx. he has only OS X on disk, and after install he can't boot OS X (computer doesn't see system) how can he make any bootloader or something like that?

Hi I am struggling here

I hava A PC running Vista on a 2 drive raid 1 array (500GB SATA2)

have XP on a 3rd drive (400GB SATA2), vista gives dual boot option at startup vista or older os

also Mac OSX 10.4.10 on a 4th Hard Disk (120GB ATA) accessable via boot option at startup

I have just shrunk disk 3 partition (the XP drive) and succesfully install OSX 10.5 1 to an extended partition

but i cannot get it to boot!

option to boot a partition is not available in startup screen

and OSX 10.4.10 does not see my SATA drives larger that 128 GB

Ps install 10.5.1 seemed to find all SATA2 drives

install easyBCD but i cant work out how to configure it to boot the relevent drives or partitions

it found mac hardisk drive 10.4.10 but not 10.5.1 partition

any help appreciated

Roger

I also tried the version of dual booting.

The first time, i saw both OS in the bootloader and if i want to start XP i just se "_$"

But that isnt the problem at all.

The real problem is, that when i want to start MAC OS X (kalyway 10.5.1) i just see the white apple loading screen with the grey apple (like the one you see when darwin is loading) for 1 sec. and then my system reboots.

What could it be? Driver conflict? oO

Ive installed leopard on a 680i board (it does work!) but i messed it up so started over. now all im getting is a blinking cursor in the top left when i reboot. If i leave the DVD install disc in and let the time run out, it attempts to boot from the hard drive. I see a flash of the apple logo, then a flash of green, then it resets. Im guessing the darwin loader is missing. whats the best way to fix this without reinstall? i guess i could install ubuntu and use grub, or soemthing else wrong here?

Cheers.

If you read the manual of mount_ntfs it says:

I tried to mount in readwrite without success

You need to download and install MacFuse (http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/) and install it. Then, download and install ntfs-3g (http://www.ntfs-3g.org/) and install it. The NTFS-3G driver is an open source, freely available read/write NTFS driver for Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, NetBSD, and Haiku. It provides safe and fast handling of the Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 and Windows Vista file systems. Most POSIX file system operations are supported.

While you are at it, might as well download and install sshfs (http://fuse.sourceforge.net/sshfs.html) and gain full ssh-protected file transfer from your server. It is based on FUSE (the best userspace filesystem framework for linux); multithreading: more than one request can be on it's way to the server; Allowing large reads (max 64k); caching directory contents.

• 2 weeks later...

Simplicity: 2 hard drives and Acronis Disk Director.

1. Install only 1 HD Install OSX-PC,

2. Disconnect first OSX HD, and connect other HD and install Windows Whatever ..

3. Connect them both making the Windows HD the master boot.

4. Install Acronis Disk Director 10, install the boot manager, and you done.

The thing I like about this is I can just install as many os's as my heart desires (or until I use up all my sata ports) but then theres USB!

So once you get each seperate drive loaded up with the os, just connect them all (ide, sata,usb,thumbdrive) and start at step 3 using the same guidelines, acronis will detect them all and force whichever one to active and boot it up...

Just my 2 cents ...

(jaS 10.4.8 - WindowsXP / Dual Boot Configuration: 2x250GB SATA)

(jaS 10.4.8 - Windows Vista - openSUSE 10.3 / Triple Boot Configuration: 2x80GB SATA, 1x8GB Thumbdrive (OSX)

so.. i had it all working with kalyway 10.5.1 and dual booting with xp

i decided to update with kalyway 10.5.2 combo update... at first i thought it wouldn't boot so i did a -v on bootup it gives me this ntfs error...

NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk0s2): ntfs_pagein(): Failed (cluster_pagein)ext(). error 5)

NTFS-fs error (device /dev/disk0s2): ntfs_page_map(): Failed Failed to read page (error 5)

if i leave it alone, it'll eventually bootup...

anybody know whats wrong with it? it takes like 5 minutes for it to bootup now..

Specs are

Q6600 on a DS3l

8800GT

ahci disabled

Hi all

great things are going here :(

i'm a noob , first post , so i better start with muy system config :

-Abit ip35 with E6750 @ 3.6 Ghz bios 16.B04

-xfx 8600 xxx edition

-dual raid0 setup 2x80 gb Wd first raid with vista installed

- raid1 2x160 Gb WD with windows server 2008 installed

- 300 gb hd on jmicron ide channel

- Asus sata dvd RW

- 2x1 gb corsaire xmx ram @ 4-4-4-12

as you can see i have vista on raid 0 and win server on raid 1 , i'm swiching between them using the bios to set up the starting array

i need to have a go with this fantastic mac osx leo , asking if i could install it on my 300 gb ide drive then using the bios to swich between all the 3 o's ?

need to know if it is possible , thanks

regards

Triple Boot Guide for SSE2 no EFI

im on triple boot

XP Pro(VISTA suckz!!! :) ), Leopard, Ubuntu Gutsy (i like compiz-fusion :| )

Method:

(i found this important for you to be able to interchange/access files between OS's)

IDE1 - where my DVD drive is connected

IDE2 (MASTER) 40GB HDD - XP

IDE2 (SLAVE) 80GB HDD - Leopard/Gutsy

------------------------------------------------------------------

40GB 1st HDD

-- whole partition dedicated to XP (for programming purposes)

80GB 2nd HDD

-- 1st partition Primary (40GB - for Leopard)

-- 2nd partition Logical (40GB - for Ubuntu Gutsy)

Step 1: Installed XP Pro on the 1st drive

Step 2: Installed Leopard (iATKOS v1.0ir2) on the 1st partition of my 80GB

- i donwloaded the iATKOS r2 patch here http://zula.info/ since the 1 on irc is not working for me it is about 7mb i think but the patch on zula.info is almost 22mb

- Download the original iATKOS v1.0 found on irc not just anywhere!!!

Step 3: Install Ubuntu Gutsy

Step 4: Install gparted on ubuntu (

sudo apt-get install gparted

)

Step 5: Mange boot flags of Leopard HDD (you can do this prior to installing Ubuntu via Live CD)

Step 6: Configure grub

sudo gedit /grub/boot/menu.lst

- You might want to

sudo fdisk -l

to list the partitions on xterm so you wont be confuse when configuring grub.

it should look something like this:

NOTE: this is just an example this is not how mine looks like

# Device	 Boot	Start	   End	Blocks   Id  System
#/dev/hda1   *		 1	   305	307408+   6  HFS+/NTFS
#/dev/hda2		   306	   789	487872	5  Extended
#/dev/hda3   *	   306	   789	487872	5  HFS+
#/dev/hda5==(hd0,4)  306	   741	439456+  83  Linux
#/dev/hda6		   742	   789	 48352+  82  Linux swap

Step 7: Add XP and Leopard on your menu.lst

it should look something like this:

title Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

title Leopard 10.5.2
root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
makeactive<BR>

Step 8: Save and Exit

Step 9: Restart your Computer

Time to upgrade your 10.5.1 to 10.5.2

-i downloaded kalyways combo update 10.5.2

-i downloaded netkas 9.2.0 kernel and system.kext shutdown/reboot fix

-install kalys update

-replace kernel and system kext

if you have any questions PM me :P

I`m using now Neogrub for booting OSX & Vista, and works flawesly.

How do you do for not having a HFS+ partition error when you reboot? (only if you markactive your osx partition because if you don't, then it works)

Just in case anyone still trails this thread... I have a triple boot: XP, Leopard, Gutsy64

I've just got to say that I love grub in all its simplicity. I have a sata and an ata. I have the sata as the first booting drive (after cd/dvd) then the ata as the next boot drive. the sata has two partitions, not including linux swap partition.

-i installed ubuntu on the 1st parition with swap on its own third partition,

-then installed xp on the second partition.

-used grub to configure windows boot.

-on the third hard drive, i formatted it fat 32 then reformatted hfs+ using the installer for leopard.

-once leopard was installed, i added the efi_V8 to my grub /boot and now i have sweet triple boot.

sweet lovin!

Just in case anyone still trails this thread... I have a triple boot: XP, Leopard, Gutsy64

I've just got to say that I love grub in all its simplicity. I have a sata and an ata. I have the sata as the first booting drive (after cd/dvd) then the ata as the next boot drive. the sata has two partitions, not including linux swap partition.

-i installed ubuntu on the 1st parition with swap on its own third partition,

-then installed xp on the second partition.

-used grub to configure windows boot.

-on the third hard drive, i formatted it fat 32 then reformatted hfs+ using the installer for leopard.

-once leopard was installed, i added the efi_V8 to my grub /boot and now i have sweet triple boot.

sweet lovin!

Can you please give me a little more detail of how you useed EFI_v8 under GRUB? I want Leopard 10.5.2 with EFI, Windows Vista x64 and a Linux distro in a nice triboot...What do u mean with 'added the efi_v8' ? You just entered entries?

Hi. I am a newbie. And I (my freind, rather) has a hard drive with Vista Home Basic on it. (sucks to be him.) He wanted leo, and now he hates me because i screwed up his computer. We fixed it, but, hes still kinda mad. Osx IS installed on the second harddrive, but when we go to the F8 boot menu, and select the second, we get vista. And when we try to boot with the dvd, we get the blinking cursor. Any we we can do this WITHOUT potentialy screwing up the computer?

My method was to format a single hard drive as guid with two hfs+ partitions. Then install leo on first partition without efi_v8.

Boot off leo dvd and format second partition as msdos.

Install vista(you will have to format ntfs with vista dvd).

Make sure you have the boot.efi script on a usb drive and you know how to use it. Boot off leo dvd again (unmount both partitions) and go to terminal and run bootefi.sh script.

Now your computer will boot into freshly installed leo.

After you run through setup go into terminal and mark the vista partition active.

Type diskutil list

Verify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.)

type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (use the correct disk identifier, rdisk0, rdisk1, etc.)

Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."

Type p

Verify your vista partition.

Assuming it is partition 1, then

type f 1

Type write

Type y (yes you are sure)

Type exit (to quit)

Now you will reboot and get an error so you will have to boot off the vista dvd and select your language. Then select repair.

At this point a dialogue box will popup and say errors were found do you want to fix them. Yes, you do.

That's it. You may have to press f8 when your immediately after bios to get the darwin boot menu. Vista should be called foreign boot.

Hope this helps somebody.

bootefi.zip

With my laptop and 160GB hard drive with Vista preinstalled, I just partitioned the drive using Computer Management.

Shrunk my Vista partition,

Then Diskpart, "select disk 0", "create partition primary id=af", "active"

Double checked everything was right, "shutdown -r -t 0"

Booted into Leopard DVD

Installed into just-created 12GB partition

Reboot

Couldn't boot into Leopard, so boot from DVD again

Applied bootfix

Reboot

Boot into Leopard

Yay!!!

And now it's time for tri, then quad, then penta, then hexa, then hepta, then octa, then nona, then deca-boot!!!

I am officially the craziest geeky person in the whole wide world!!!!!!!!!!

I found dual booting a real pain in the A$$ took me 4 days yo get mine going!!

Mind you I was going from back up images what I did was:

Start with winxp once installed make a ghost image or something like that

Next I did gpart make my second partition not formatted and flagged as boot

Install Leo

Reboot

if you are lucky darwin will load and have option to boot to mac or your other partition (xp)

if all goes well you should be able to boot into both systems if you can get into mac but get blinking curser on XP.

Boot up gparted cd and flag XP partion for boot if it boots use the Chain0 boot

If still no boot restore your ghost image you made before back to the xp partition then you should be able to boot to xp

Then do the Chain0 boot

this is what I had to do and was a pain I am useing Iatoks

As soon as I got my 200 GB hard drive, I partitioned it in the Windows XP setup.

I installed XP and it works great.

Later I installed iATKOS' OSX on an available partition, formatted it to hfs+, and it said it installed correctly.

This messed up my MBR, and I used GParted LiveCD to boot to the first partition of my hard drive.

Today I installed Ubuntu and GRUB and I can boot into XP or Ubuntu.

Now I use GRUB to boot my computer and I don't need a CD.

I put in the values I've seen about dual booting with GRUB, but now I just get a "File not found" error message when trying to boot to Mac.

I'm thinking about getting a new hard drive and installing these again, but in reverse order from how I did it this time.

If anyone else has similar issues (I've been reading on this forum for about 2 hours so far today), and knows how to fix them, please let me know. :-D

I'd love to test Leopard on my PC (even though my notebook is trash from Sony). I might just wait until summer when I buy a Pro Star.

I had a few hardware related problems I had to figure out, that aren't made too clear for people who are new to installing OSX.

In your bios, temporarily disable your firewire, and allow your Intel/AMD based CPU to have Executive Disabled Bit enabled. Once/if you get OSX properly installed, when you're setting up Leopard for the first time, restart the comp and reenable Firewire (to get around the Do you Own a Mac? page).

Also, don't forget that when you're setting up the partition in Windows (specifically Vista) for your Mac, that it shows up unallocated in the Disk Management utility. Don't mark it as active just yet!

Then run command prompt as an admin and type

dispart

select disk X (X = Disk Number)

list partition

create partition primary id=af

list partition

select partition Y (your new partition)

active

exit

exit

Some guides say to just create an unallocated space in Disk Management in Vista and you're set, but that didn't work for me, and the second partiton wouldn't show up in Leopard's Disk Utility.

Once you get chain0 properly configured (depending on which install DVD you use), make sure you run that command prompt as admin as well! For some reason, it didn't work other wise for me. (In Vista right click cmd prompt --> Run as Admin)

Sorry if it's already been posted, but I hope it helps someone! :D

hi, the easiest way to dual boot is simple, very simple, first, put the osx disc and start the osx setup, but don't install, go to disc utility, and partition the disk, in 2 volumes, (for dual boot), format the partitions, one with hfs+, the mac one, other with fat32, the windows one, then, reboot your pc, install windows, normally, in the partition that you created before, format with ntfs, and install, the pc will reboot few times, and windows will be installed on your machine, now, install osx, put the dvd on the drive, install, and install the darwin x86 bootloader, when the install finished, you will have a beautiful dual booting pc!!!

IMPORTANT DATA:

1. I USED THIS METHOD ONLY WITH iATKOS 10.5.1, and using bootloader of darwin x86

2. DON'T KNOW IF THIS METHOD WORKS FOR TRIPLE BOOT

3. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A BOOTABLE OSX PARTITION... i mean an active partition for osx, if you don't know how it works, you can search in forums

Hope this little method helps you!

you don't need nothing more!

Greetings from Colombia!

I Did mine with easyBCD

After You install OS X make Vista partition Active and:

1)Get transmac and easybcd

2)Install transmac and easybcd

3)Run Easybcd

4)Add Mac OS

59203924lp8.th.jpg

5)A popup will show up that you need a file. We'll get it with transmac.

6)Run Trasmac As an Administrator.

7)Your disk should be on the top. Go to : HFS+ Volume/usr/standalone/i386 Boot.efi should be there.

66555620ie3.th.jpg

8)Copy it to C:\NST And Rename it to nst_mac.efi

9)Restart and you should see the Boot menu.

I had a few hardware related problems I had to figure out, that aren't made too clear for people who are new to installing OSX.

:P That's the understatement of the year!

I boot into Windows XP, openSUSE Linux (3 different kernels) and OSX using an old Dell 64MB USB memory stick that I installed Grub onto. It wasn't easy. I just played around with grub until I got it to work. Hint: "grub-install" didn't work so I had to get down and dirty with some of the more basic grub commands. The way it numbers your hard disks is different than the way Linux does it, which is different from the way OSX does it. Not to mention that when you boot from a USB stick grub makes IT disk number 0, i.e. (hd0). I couldn't even tell you exactly what I did to make it work. I gave up writing down what I was doing after the 100th try.

After I turn off the computer I just yank out the USB memory stick and anyone else who turns it on sees only the standard Windows XP boot screens. I installed NOTHING in the MBR of any hard disk, only the stage2 parts of Grub and Darwin bootloaders in the partitions where Linux and OSX live respectively. Except when Leo4All did it without asking. Good thing I had a backup of the MBR lying around.

It works pretty well but it was a hassle to get it right.

Hi all. I want todual boot XP and leopard on my pc, but I need help. I have three hard drives. 1 for XP, 1 for media, and 1 that is completely blank. How can I dual boot with windows on 1 drive and leopard on another? I want to leave my media alone, so I would install leopard on the third drive. Yes, I am a complete noob at this so be easy with all the terms that you guys know.

I have a unique situation...

I have the following setup

Asus m2n-e MB

AMD X2 6000

Geforce 8800 GTS

I have 2 drives, 1 SATA, 1 IDE

I have Vista installed on the IDE Drive, and the bootloader (grub was on drive0 or the SATA drive). I removed Ubuntu so now when grub wants to load, i get error22 so i just select vista and boot that way. I have no way of fixing it that I know of, I tried fixmbr/etc to no avail since its trying to do it on the drive that doesnt boot first.

Im currently downloading the dvd 10.5.2 that was released a few days ago, and in prep cleared out the 1st partition on disk0.

So, in short

disk0/0 - OSX

disk0/1 - NTFS

disk1/0 - VISTA

disk1/* - NTFS

Will I be able to dual boot vista and OSX after install without much trouble? I have a macbook pro and love OSX as this is the reason I want to install it on my machine, but need to dualboot for the occaisional game or other various things that I cant nativly do in OSX.

Sorry if this sounds confusing.