Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

I've been following Cali3350's detailed instructions above but have come across a couple of problems that I'd appreciate anyone giving me a hand with.

I've got a Dell D620 with Intel graphics, not sure which type of network it's got though.

I've installed the Kalyway 10.5.1 Intel image, no problems except I'm getting the b0 error on boot. I understand this can be fixed using the Darwin boot utility in iATKOS but have not bothered with that just yet.

I installed the sound drivers, all good and then patched to 10.5.2 with the Combo update. All good. No network or wireless though.

My next step was to install and set up the speedstep patch as above - This all appeared to go OK but I now can't boot. I get the grey Apple screen, then the screen goes black and it hangs. If I turn off speedstep in the BIOS then I can get past this stage but I don't want to do that.

After getting to this point I checked and the laptop had A07 BIOS - I've flashed it to A09 and have started the install again from scratch. This may, or may not make a difference, I suspect not. Assuming it doesn't then I'll simply disable speedstep in the BIOS and carry on. Not idea, but it seems to work.

Without network or wireless though, it's not really much use to me :hysterical:

Further update - Even with the A09 BIOS I still get the hangup after installing speedstep. So I'm starting again (5th time now, getting quite good at installing OS X!) and will skip that point.

Still need to find some network drivers, that's next.

Welp, ok. Assuming your starting from the very beginning...

First off I so want to thank you Cali3350. Seems you've been tapped for the D620 details.

I went through your directions and have had good success.

D620 dualcore 2.0ghz

3gig ram

100gig 7200rpm just booting MacX

Nvidia 256meg

HDA sound on laptop not audio out.

USB

DVD

speedstep

all working fine.

I haven't seen a simple answer to the network drivers. This is my real pain now.

Broadcom 57xx Net*treme

Intel Pro/wireless 3945abg

Also what's this not being able to load programs from a CD with the traditional installer? Won't let me install other stuff.

That's whats left.

I'm an industrial controls programmer/engineer and this is not my area. I was hoping to my learn

to develop some Iphone/Touch programs. So this seemed to make it easier since I haul my laptop

around the planet anyway.

I appreciate your work man. thanks

glwalt

Hi, I've got a latitude d620 and I'm wondering if it would work with OSX? I have the one with the broadcom chipsets and the intel video driver.

Has anyone else tried this? Are there any howto's for this laptop?

Someone please help me out? :(

I got the same story as everyone else with my D620 Centrino/Broadcom 5752:

network works fine for a few seconds then locks up with shutdown dialog. . .

ifconfig reveals my MAC but Network Prefs only got 00's. . .

I even tried adding my MAC address to the Ethernet5751 file directly for an instant lock up. . .

my solution:

boot up with a USB stick and surf from within Linux. . .

@ptesone:

Have you tried to turn off DHCP? Go into your network preferences and set IP adressing manually. Your LAN should behave normally than (I read about many successes when DHCP was turned off).

I'm still without luck with my broadcom LAN. I have a PCMCIA network card attached wich is a pain in the ass......

What's your Device ID? If it's 1600 would you please be so kind and send me your kext (min3z@gmx.de) ?

thx in advance

min3z

@ptesone:

Have you tried to turn off DHCP? Go into your network preferences and set IP adressing manually. Your LAN should behave normally than (I read about many successes when DHCP was turned off).

I'm still without luck with my broadcom LAN. I have a PCMCIA network card attached wich is a pain in the ass......

What's your Device ID? If it's 1600 would you please be so kind and send me your kext (min3z@gmx.de) ?

thx in advance

min3z

yes I have tried that. I have tried everything that I found on this forum to try. I can edit the stinking kext files in my sleep now. . .it's a Broadcom 5752, dev ID 1600 but I'm afraid that sending you the file won't help my friend. . .but i will send it none the less. . .

THX again, received you file.

Got a strange behavior. 1st time I installed you Kext, it recognised my LAN as it did once before. I sent/received a few packets, got kernel panic.

After a reboot I was able to surf/chat the whole session long. No hang-ups, everything was fine. Another reboot later it doesn't even become active.

It tells me that the cable is not connected. I'll do some research and post my progression.

min3z

THX again, received you file.

Got a strange behavior. 1st time I installed you Kext, it recognised my LAN as it did once before. I sent/received a few packets, got kernel panic.

After a reboot I was able to surf/chat the whole session long. No hang-ups, everything was fine. Another reboot later it doesn't even become active.

It tells me that the cable is not connected. I'll do some research and post my progression.

min3z

dude that's awesome!

I wonder what the big change was on that 2nd boot, that could give us a clue. . .

for those with gma 950 graphics where if the lid closes the display goes dark, the computer's running but you can't see anything...changing the screen resolution will wake the display up.

to change the resolution without seeing anything...

command + spacebar to get spotlight.

type "screen resolution", wait a couple seconds, then hit enter

hit the TAB button once

press your UP arrow button once

the display should wake up and you can change the resolution back to where it was before.

this worked for me a couple times...hope i didn't forget a step!

credit for discovering that the resolution wakes up the display goes to my roommate.

for those with gma 950 graphics where if the lid closes the display goes dark, the computer's running but you can't see anything...changing the screen resolution will wake the display up.

hey, that's a cool trick. i wonder if it would be possible to somehow hook into the code that os x runs when it wakes from sleep to trigger a shell script or an automator script that changes the resolution. this is something like how i am currently connecting to my wireless network on my desktop machine since the normal airport connection always fails, i have a hacked shell script that can successfully connect that is triggered to run at startup. i don't know anything about what code runs when the machine wakes from sleep.

anybody here have an idea?

• 1 month later...
Hi, I've got a latitude d620 and I'm wondering if it would work with OSX? I have the one with the broadcom chipsets and the intel video driver.

Has anyone else tried this? Are there any howto's for this laptop?

Someone please help me out? ;)

I was able to getting Leo4Allv3 (10.5.2) running on my Dell D620 with the usual workarounds (Sound patch, PCMCIA patch, Linksys Wifi card, Power Management Update). One of my remaining issues is that my CD/DVD player is not recognized (TSST DVD+-RW TS-L632D). Has anyone encountered this and if so, any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

I have OSX running now on my D620, but how do I get the full resolution of the screen?

It is now 1024x768, I would like to have the 1440x900 !!

I am also having the problem with the resolution. All I get on my D620 is 1024x768. Is there a fix for this?

i have the intel gma950 graphics card. i used to use the iAtkos v1.0i r2 leopard, but downgraded to tiger because of graphical tearing. does anyone know if these graphical tearing problems have been resolved in leo4allv3 leopard 10.5.2?

I am still experiencing the sound coming from both headphones and speakers at the same time. I also am unable to mute. I have followed a lot of tutorials but still am at the same point. I have seen people saying that their audio is working fine but I am assuming that they haven't tested the headphones or the mute.

Can anyone confirm that? Even the wiki http://wiki.taruga.net still says that it is a problem. I just don't want to be without if someone has fixed it <_<

While I'm not running a 620, I am running a similar setup with a 520. Here's the specs:

Dell Latitude D520

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 @ 1.6Ghz

2Gb RAM

Dell 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

BroadCom 4311 NIC

SigmaTel 9200

GMA950

I'm not sure if my sig will show up or not, so there they are. The sig say's I'm running XxX 10.4.11, but I just recently updated to Leo4All v3. Same problems with Tiger, as in only running one core, sound problems and such. My Latitude is similar to a lot of the 620's so I figured I'd list the problems I have with mine. Here's the list:

Operating system-Leo4All version 3

Still have to boot with cpus=1 flag

Sound works, but no mute, and speakers play even with headphones plugged in.

GMA 950 works, with mouse artifacts. There's another driver, but it does not work on Dell's. Your screen will blank out after the Apple screen.

1390 works out of the box.

BroadCom 4311 works with Leo4All patch

Two-finger scroll works with this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...72499&st=20

On Tiger, I used a fan controller called I8kfanGUI. For those of you using 10.4 you can find that here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=50152 (This does not work with Leopard)

All in all, it's been a pretty nice machine. Tiger ran a little faster, but I'm getting used Leopard. The mouse artifacts are light, and usually only show up on non OS X apps. They're pretty tolerable. As far as I know there isn't a fix. I'm going to run Leopard for a while just to see how it is. This is the first version of Leopard sense the ToH 9a581 build.

hey, that's a cool trick. i wonder if it would be possible to somehow hook into the code that os x runs when it wakes from sleep to trigger a shell script or an automator script that changes the resolution. this is something like how i am currently connecting to my wireless network on my desktop machine since the normal airport connection always fails, i have a hacked shell script that can successfully connect that is triggered to run at startup. i don't know anything about what code runs when the machine wakes from sleep.

anybody here have an idea?

I have a Dell d820 but its almost identical to the d620. I've posted a workaround/hack to do just this. I'm also working on a hack to get it to come back from sleep.

Here's my "hack" to fix the display sleep problem.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107030

• 3 weeks later...

I have a D620 i have the Video driver and Sound working thanks to this thread.

I need to get my laptop keyboard and touch pad to work It was working before I installed the apple updates.

I have leo4all installed I need the ethernet network diver to work broadcom 97xx

and the power settings when it goes into sleep mode it doesn't wake.

I have everything working in iAtkos v2, it worked straight out of the box ( single processor) apart from network, wireless and sound.

I now have sound working, but the headphone jack does not mute the speakers when the headphones are inserted, anyone point me at a fix for that ?

i guess i will have to get a pcmcia card for the network issues, but would love to have the integrated gear work, then its a sweet laptop

thanks to this thread for getting me up and working so far

starting from scratch ;) i changed the permission of "everyone" from read to no access, cannot install a package when it came back im stuck with plain blue screen.

bought a belkin G+ MIMO usb adapter and got it working! :)