Mac OS X on a Dell Latitude D620?

zarya

335 posts in this topic

on ideneb 10.5.5 with safe update patch (from dell post installer 1.3.1).

yes it worked but lost all my kexts which is what you'd except.

The only issue was I lost my keyboard maybe because I was using a British MS keyboard.

On a separate note

has anyone applied the stepspeed fix from the dell post installer 1.3.1 tool?

See this link for more about dell post installer 1.3.1 tool.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

on ideneb 10.5.5 with safe update patch (from dell post installer 1.3.1).

yes it worked but lost all my kext which is what you'd except.

The only issue was I lost my keyboard maybe because I was using a British MS keyboard.

I'm also on iDeneb 10.5.5 with the safe update patch and installed 10.5.6. I only have the laptop keyboard and nipple/touchpad and lost both. I'm going to try to take an external keyboard home and see if that works.

Failing that do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

btw the screen appears to be much crisper since the update, but since I can't move my mouse or use the keyboard it's hard to say ;)

I found a solution for no internal keyboard and trackpad support after 10.5.6 upgraded.

Just go to http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1093&st=160 and download ApplePS2kexts_10.5.6.ready.zip ( 292.43K )

Install the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

Then u will get keyboard and trackpad back...

But! Trackpad setting in System Preferences... is gone.....

Anyone know how to get it back?

Found this on the Acer Aspire one user forums might be the fix for the 10.5.6 keyboard problems.

Installation using iDeneb 10.5.5. on Dell Latitude d620.

Data:

Dual core.

PCMCIA Slot

Video: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 510M

Audio: Sigmatel 9200

Wifi: Intel 3945ABG

Ethernet: Broadcom 5752

In installing, if you disable dual cor in BIOS, everithing should work fine. in my cas, I didn't doit and the mouse stutter.

Make sure you select ICHx fixed during installation.

Then, first thing is to use Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1[1].0_Rev_A to get dual core. After that, the insllation is smooth.

If you choose the patch for sigmatel 9200 during installation, audio and mic will work, but no mute when headphones are plugged in. If you use Dell post installer 1.3.1 for audio, the mute will work on pluggin headphones, but then there will be no mic. (Up to you). I prefer no mic and mute with headphones than the other way round.

Use the same Dell laptops post installer 1.3.1 (nVidia 512) for graphics. You'll get the original resolution of 1280x800. Quite OK.

Theres no wifi driver working for 3945ABG. I use USB linksys WUSB54GC (can easily be found on internet and some shops). All you need is to follow the instructions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...t33896-300.html

To get ethernet working follow the instructions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i.../t4987-650.html

To get PCMCIA working use Chun-Nan.PCMCIA.CardBus.Driver. Is working Ok with my HUAWEI Mobile Connect.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

McElez

I have tried installing the 10.5.6 update - TWICE and each time, I had to reinstall. Luckily, I got it down to a science!

Question - if anyone has installed the update successfully with the following config, please let us know the steps you took along with any files/kexts that were used. It would be greatly appreciated to us who are having issues. Thanks!

Dell D620 - 2.16 Core2Duo/4G RAM/Nvidia Graphics/Sigmaltel Audio/Dell Wireless-Bluetooth

Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.5

Mark

My system only "sleeps" if I set it manualy. I've found no way to make it work automatically.

The only solution is to set to "never" both screen and computer sleep times. Just screensaver time remains.

When I set it manualy, I can even close the laptop and the display "wakes up" automatically when I open it.

I have no other solution for that.

Regards.

McInto.

@ Mark Rose and Mcinto your systems both have the Nvidia GFX my question is do your computers sleep (screen blank) OK? If so what did you do to make it work?

No, I tried in the past to get sleep working, but had no luck. I also could not get poweroff after shutdown working.

I tried a third time to install 10.5.6 - I spent the afternoon reinstalling!

Mark

i just got done updating from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6. If you are trying to do this, read this first:

http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...pdating-to.html

i followed the instructions to the T. Just remember, before u do all that... make sure u have downloaded all your kexts and saved them in a separate drive (thumb drive, external HD) because everything will disappear.

i just got done updating from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6. If you are trying to do this, read this first:

http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...pdating-to.html

i followed the instructions to the T. Just remember, before u do all that... make sure u have downloaded all your kexts and saved them in a separate drive (thumb drive, external HD) because everything will disappear.

I did what was described in the blog. I had no issue patching DSDT. In addition, I was able to run the 10.5.6 Apple update, but during reboot, I was receiving the "Still waiting for root device" error.

After reading the blog further, I saw there is a procedure for updating to 10.5.6 with a non-vanilla kernel (I am running mach_kernel). I will try it and see what happens - worst case, I will be doing a full reinstall for the 4th time!

Mark

I did what was described in the blog. I had no issue patching DSDT. In addition, I was able to run the 10.5.6 Apple update, but during reboot, I was receiving the "Still waiting for root device" error.

After reading the blog further, I saw there is a procedure for updating to 10.5.6 with a non-vanilla kernel (I am running mach_kernel). I will try it and see what happens - worst case, I will be doing a full reinstall for the 4th time!

Mark

Latitude D620 Vanilla Install Instructions

Install iATKOS 4i (10.5.4)

download uinstaller and install the kexts and efi v9

run the update through the apple updater as the kexts in the uinstaller make it possible to not worry about removing the appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext from the extensions folder. Reinstall drivers as usual and good to go. If you need drivers let me know.

Latitude D620 Vanilla Install Instructions

Install iATKOS 4i (10.5.4)

download uinstaller and install the kexts and efi v9

run the update through the apple updater as the kexts in the uinstaller make it possible to not worry about removing the appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext from the extensions folder. Reinstall drivers as usual and good to go. If you need drivers let me know.

Is there a way to install 10.5.6 using the Kalyway install? I started with the 10.5.2 disk - installed the Kalyway 10.5.3 update along with the Apple non-incremental updates up to 10.5.5. On my D620, I have very good install (except that I can't password-protect my screen saver). I guess I can try another disro, but I can now reinstall my notebook almost blindfolded using Kalyway - I had to six times so far due to the issue I have going to 10.5.6!!

If anyone knows the workaround to get the screensaver password protect and the 10.5.6 update working under Kalyway, please let me know. Thanks!

Mark

Hello McInto,

when do I select Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1[1].0_Rev_A ?? because during the install process that kernel doesnt appears in the available kernels.

Regards

ranob

Installation using iDeneb 10.5.5. on Dell Latitude d620.

Data:

Dual core.

PCMCIA Slot

Video: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 510M

Audio: Sigmatel 9200

Wifi: Intel 3945ABG

Ethernet: Broadcom 5752

In installing, if you disable dual cor in BIOS, everithing should work fine. in my cas, I didn't doit and the mouse stutter.

Make sure you select ICHx fixed during installation.

Then, first thing is to use Voodoo_Kernel_Release_1[1].0_Rev_A to get dual core. After that, the insllation is smooth.

If you choose the patch for sigmatel 9200 during installation, audio and mic will work, but no mute when headphones are plugged in. If you use Dell post installer 1.3.1 for audio, the mute will work on pluggin headphones, but then there will be no mic. (Up to you). I prefer no mic and mute with headphones than the other way round.

Use the same Dell laptops post installer 1.3.1 (nVidia 512) for graphics. You'll get the original resolution of 1280x800. Quite OK.

Theres no wifi driver working for 3945ABG. I use USB linksys WUSB54GC (can easily be found on internet and some shops). All you need is to follow the instructions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...t33896-300.html

To get ethernet working follow the instructions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i.../t4987-650.html

To get PCMCIA working use Chun-Nan.PCMCIA.CardBus.Driver. Is working Ok with my HUAWEI Mobile Connect.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

McElez

thx McInto. I downloaded it and works perfectly :)

Another thing. In your post, you say that there is a "Dell post installer 1.3.1 for audio". Where can I find/download it?

Thank very much

Ranob

ranob

Voodoo kernel has to be installed as a separated patch. Just read the text file included in the package you can find here:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

I hope it helps.

Regards.

thx McInto. I downloaded it and works perfectly ;)

Another thing. In your post, you say that there is a "Dell post installer 1.3.1 for audio". Where can I find/download it?

Thank very much

Ranob

ranob

Voodoo kernel has to be installed as a separated patch. Just read the text file included in the package you can find here:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

I hope it helps.

Regards.

Hi, I've got a latitude d620 and I'm wondering if it would work with OSX? I have the one with the broadcom chipsets and the intel video driver.

Has anyone else tried this? Are there any howto's for this laptop?

Someone please help me out? :)

I need help with this book too. I have tried almost every configuration, differ kernels with ideneb 10.5.5 and iatkos v5i including disabling multicore and no matter what I get the blue then quick black screen on bootup. I have tried -x with no help. I read that the ideneb gma driver kext are flawed and hoped the iatkos versions would be better but to no avail. I still get the black screen even if I choose gma950a or b or the efi string...

Someone please help mne get this installed I have reinstalled like 30 times already with various customizations with no success and I am about to give up.

Laptop Specs:

Dell Latitude D620

Intel Core Duo T2700

2GB Mem

Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2&SUBSYS_01C21028&REV_03\3&18D45AA6&0&10

Name SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801C2&REV_1022\4&377D8C41&0&0001

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 1/11/2008

I need help with this book too. I have tried almost every configuration, differ kernels with ideneb 10.5.5 and iatkos v5i including disabling multicore and no matter what I get the blue then quick black screen on bootup. I have tried -x with no help. I read that the ideneb gma driver kext are flawed and hoped the iatkos versions would be better but to no avail. I still get the black screen even if I choose gma950a or b or the efi string...

Someone please help mne get this installed I have reinstalled like 30 times already with various customizations with no success and I am about to give up.

Laptop Specs:

Dell Latitude D620

Intel Core Duo T2700

2GB Mem

Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2&SUBSYS_01C21028&REV_03\3&18D45AA6&0&10

Name SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801C2&REV_1022\4&377D8C41&0&0001

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 1/11/2008

I ran into this same issue when installing on one of my D620. Try the following:

- Install using Kalyway 10.5.2 installation DVD. The other distros may work as well, but have not some much with them.

- When it asks for you to reboot, reboot but press <F8> when you get the Darwin prompt.

- Type -s to boot into singleuser mode

- Type fsck -fy

- Type mount -uw /

- Type ./movevideodrivers and answer yes fro all options

- Type halt when done

- Power back on to complete installation

I hope this helps.

Mark

I have been trying to get 10.5.6 installed on my Dell D620 notebooks since its came out. So far, I have had to do full installs (I an up to 7 times now) since after the installing the 10.5.6 update and rebooting, I received the "Still waiting or root device" error. If anyone out there has got this to work, please let us know the exact steps you took. Below is my hardware/software specs for both of my machines - any and all help will be appreciated!!

Dell D620 (2.16 Core2Duo/4G RAM/Nvidia Go/Dell wirelesss and bluetooth/160GB SATA HD)

Kalyway 10.5.2 distro with Kalyway 10.5.3 updates and Apple updates (10.5.4 and 10.5.5) using mach_kernel

Dell D620 (1.83 Centrino Duo/4G RAM/Intel 945/Intel wirelesss/120GB USB SATA HD) - boots off external drive

Kalyway 10.5.2 distro with Kalyway 10.5.3 updates and Apple updates (10.5.4 and 10.5.5) using mach_kernel

Mark (Frustrated)